UK Forum

Home Grown rule for club championship

(Oldest Posts First)

don't know about many other counties but I have noticed an influx of more and more of local club teams forgetting about the underage and concentrating on one thing the championship.
There is now basically 2 teams possibly only one that can win the county championship. Looking forward would it not be in the best interests of a county board to introduce a home grown rule e.g. at least 5 of the stating 15 in the championship must have played for a underage team up to minor level. Sure this may lower quality for the first few years but would it not make clubs think twice about there under age structure and to make sure they have the players to put out a championship team otherwise you may as well just play an exile championship with nowhere for the current underage to look to.

Any suggestions if this would work in counties around the UK

weeman09 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 06/08/2014 15:50:53    1632521

Link

great idea in an ideal world but far too many clubs would vote against it at board level for it to ever get through. Also as you see with Dulwich and other clubs a lot of effort put in at underage level but very few continue to play at senior level.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1775 - 06/08/2014 16:19:41    1632542

Link

What happens if your "local" teams cant get 5 players from underage, most fall away come 17/18.. then what? You are talking through your hat.

yablind (UK) - Posts: 11 - 06/08/2014 16:44:26    1632569

Link

having played underage here and in ireland, there is a gap here from u14-u18 and further onto senior unless your at a college with a club, then come championship time the big guns are wheeled out, young lads fall away and lose interest but can you blame them when you have the influx say like New York have on J1s they might well be in Division 1 for feile but how many actually make it?

The homgrown championship is a start and needs to be homegrown to show the lads who fill in throughout the season they have at least something to play for and the only way to push them on is games.

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 06/08/2014 17:32:38    1632604

Link

There is no gap, there is junior, reserve and U21, majority just give it up, its simple as that, a handful like P Butler, A Moyles, L Gavigan, Sullivan will stick with it and progress the rest will fall away through choice.

yablind (UK) - Posts: 11 - 06/08/2014 18:35:21    1632634

Link

What about clubs that only have one team and no under age set up and / or don't have five English born players. You are then eliminating or restricting these clubs.

I agree that more needs to be done to promote the home grown players but this should be the responsibility of the clubs to get their ducks in order within their owns clubs.

Far more needs to be done to promote football in schools and the community in general.

I doubt a proposal of clubs having to have five English born players would get passed at County Board level and to be fair if anything needs to be changed in London it is the County Board. There needs to be a few younger lads on the committee that have a vision and passion for the game. The current bunch that are there are backward in their thinking and are only interested in how much money the board has or owes out.

They should also abandon the plans for a stand that will be half full at least twice a year and look at sorting out the surface in Rusilip, they should put a 4g astro pitch in, floodlights and do up the changing rooms. The surfaces in Rusilip and Greenford are in poor condition and are overused. A 4g pitch and floodlights would mean there could be more games in Rusilip on a decent surface.

YourMaIsYourDa (UK) - Posts: 36 - 07/08/2014 11:32:03    1632854

Link

yablind, There is gaps in the under-age structure in this town. There are gaps bigger than the grand canyon. But that's not to say there are not hard-working volunteers, behind the scenes, doing their best to fill them gaps. This particular topic is rightly brought up about once every year.

Too many one-sided under-age games, too many walkovers and too many games starting an hour after they're meant to. Too many youngsters playing against lads twice their height and if you are on the wrong side of a 30 point hammering week in, week out then you are going to lose interest soon enough. Also,the chances are you will be mentored by some coach who hasn't kicked a ball for thirty years and is going purple in the face from the abuse he's dishing out to you and your 12 year old mates. Compared with the soccer set-up over here, you can see why most parents, along with the kids just eventually become disillusioned with the GAA and fall away into the gaps.

But there has been some progress made, Smaller clubs amalgamating for underage and we have seen investment from Croke Park with the introduction of full-time development officers. I would be interested to know if these officers have any targets they need to hit and if so, what exactly are they ?

Lazarus1 (Galway) - Posts: 173 - 07/08/2014 11:36:29    1632862

Link

Weeman, it's a good point you raise and great that you're interested, but i dont think its as simple as putting in a rule. For instance, a team like Neasden Gaels or KKG would take 10 - 15 years to get up to a level of fielding 5 players consistently - this would require them to set up a structure from scratch.

I think we need to accept that we will never have a 100% foolproof system, but now that we have the full time development officers in place and seeing a lot more clubs kickstarting their Under 8 and Under 10's, this will only bode well for a long term trickle of players through to senior/adult level. The best example of this is the current St Kierans crop, I recall them being a struggling senior team and often they would yo-yo between senior, intermediate and junior with no real success, but when they came through the club won an intermediate championship and now make it through to the knock out stages of the senior champ every year and that's the stage where I would love to my club reach in the next few years.

But at the moment only the Kierans, Towers, TCG and Heston could do this but with the new structures put in place we should see more in the next 5-8 years.

bigball1 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2 - 07/08/2014 13:07:13    1632932

Link

Lazuras, what about the U21, junior and reserve? simple facts is once 90% if these youngsters go to college they walk away from the game, you can put whatever structures up you like, that is gonna happen, its that straight forward.

yablind (UK) - Posts: 11 - 07/08/2014 17:49:14    1633122

Link

Bigball1, I think you unintentionally hit the nail on the head there. That Kiernans team that won the championship was made up of 10/11 British born lads starting that final and with most of the bench being english born, most of them were under 21s. 6 years on how much of the team is english born, 3/4 max?

In my opinion its down to the recession, there's more gaels around and clubs are picking the best players available to them whether irish or english born. Fair enough. This is when you see english lads drop away though as reserve football over here just simply isn't well structured enough to keep people interested. If you give English born lads the option to play soccer/rugby with lifelong friends or a few games a year at reserve football there is only one winner.

I'm not a TCG man but fair play they have managed to keep their English born team going, I really hope they win the Junior one of these years. I have to admit I was sceptical when they first started that they wouldn't be able to keep it going but fair play. No reason the likes of Kiernans and Parnells with established youth structures can't do the same.

What I would recommend to keep lads from falling away at the minute would be a system where youngsters coming through the big clubs can go and join a Junior/intermediate for a couple of seasons to get a bit of experience (there just aren't enough games at u21 and reserve), if they are good enough, senior clubs can bring them back, if not the lads can carry on playing junior/intermediate level. Bit controversial but in my opinion you would get more English born lads staying in the game.

Culchieboyo (UK) - Posts: 19 - 07/08/2014 19:06:46    1633157

Link

Good man yablind, so it's really as simple as that . Does not matter what time & investment is put into an underage set-up, the results will always be the same. So all this money the top counties invested in their underage set-up was just a waste, because the same amount of players / talent would have still came through in the end . I don't think you even believe what you're writing, but just looking to get a reaction. If you firmly do believe this, then you are very much deluded.

Lazarus1 (Galway) - Posts: 173 - 08/08/2014 10:15:13    1633294

Link