UK Forum

2018 Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Rosineri1:  "Big surprise on Sat with McCurtains beating Towers to get promoted to Divison one next year. Not ideal preparation for Towers upcoming semi final."
Won the hurling as well
We're ya at the hurling.........

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 307 - 01/10/2018 15:06:48    2144598

Link

Replying To Rosineri1:  "Big surprise on Sat with McCurtains beating Towers to get promoted to Divison one next year. Not ideal preparation for Towers upcoming semi final."
Did you see the line up Towers had out? It was clear they have their eye on the championship.

fancyaride (Mayo) - Posts: 140 - 01/10/2018 22:44:23    2144704

Link

Replying To fancyaride:  "Did you see the line up Towers had out? It was clear they have their eye on the championship."
To sacrifice division 1 status for a semi final they have a 1 in 20 chance of winning is a disgrace in my opinion. I didn't see a report on the game but if they rested lads that is very selfish from a management point of view.

Also I see an article about our county manager traveling home to play for his club. Each to their own I suppose but that leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and for him to almost get congratulated for it makes me wonder. What does that say to lads playing football here that are half thinking of going home. Our club game here (nevermind his county team) would be crippled if they followed his example.

overthebar14 (UK) - Posts: 19 - 04/10/2018 11:35:03    2145090

Link

Replying To overthebar14:  "To sacrifice division 1 status for a semi final they have a 1 in 20 chance of winning is a disgrace in my opinion. I didn't see a report on the game but if they rested lads that is very selfish from a management point of view.

Also I see an article about our county manager traveling home to play for his club. Each to their own I suppose but that leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and for him to almost get congratulated for it makes me wonder. What does that say to lads playing football here that are half thinking of going home. Our club game here (nevermind his county team) would be crippled if they followed his example."
The lad loves headlines and soundbites. A lot of talk/self promotion around what he does for London but not much actually delivered if you look at the straight through it.

fíoragusmacánta. (UK) - Posts: 5 - 04/10/2018 17:06:31    2145158

Link

Replying To overthebar14:  "To sacrifice division 1 status for a semi final they have a 1 in 20 chance of winning is a disgrace in my opinion. I didn't see a report on the game but if they rested lads that is very selfish from a management point of view.

Also I see an article about our county manager traveling home to play for his club. Each to their own I suppose but that leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and for him to almost get congratulated for it makes me wonder. What does that say to lads playing football here that are half thinking of going home. Our club game here (nevermind his county team) would be crippled if they followed his example."
to be fair to Towers they are 2 games away from a championship title, albeit they will have to put in 2 huge performances so can see why that game would take precedence. Saying that seeing as they are senior semi finalists after playing a few weeks in a row and were against a team who lost inter semi's and had not played in about a month you would have expected them to win even if they rested a few. Perhaps they just underestimated McCurtains. Fair play to McCurtains two promotions in a row. Similar to Cuchullainns two of London's oldest clubs, both dual clubs and based away from the strongholds of north London, but over the last number of years both clubs have been steadily building, good to see these two clubs on the rise again. Likewise Towers are another of London's oldest clubs and despite the shift of power to north of the river would be great to see them get to a county final.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1687 - 05/10/2018 10:16:05    2145234

Link

Replying To fíoragusmacánta.:  "The lad loves headlines and soundbites. A lot of talk/self promotion around what he does for London but not much actually delivered if you look at the straight through it."
To be fair to Deely, I can see why he doesn't necessarily want to align himself with a club in London. We'd be slating him for favoritism in team selections if he did no doubt.

On the relegation/ promotion playoff, I'm not sure towers are all that. A good win against Kiernan's granted but one win doesn't define a season. Towers were relegated as a result of a poor league campaign, they had a strong 15 out looking at the paper and probably underestimated a Macs team who competed in a very strong intermediate grade this year.

I still think there is a big gap between intermediate and senior but certainly the lower ranked senior teams can be caught by the stronger intermediate teams.

Big wins for Fulham and Tir Conaill predicted this weekend. Cu Chullains to be put back down to intermediate.

Has the junior/intermediate All-Britain playoff been played yet?

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 76 - 05/10/2018 14:27:26    2145285

Link

I think as most people expected TCG v Fulham on Sunday, start of the year most people had been saying TCG would walk championship. Fulham after a slow start have picked up pace and are now peaking. Any thoughts on how this will go, after a disappointing championship overall, hopefully Sunday will make up for it.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1687 - 18/10/2018 10:44:59    2147081

Link

Replying To Rosineri1:  "I think as most people expected TCG v Fulham on Sunday, start of the year most people had been saying TCG would walk championship. Fulham after a slow start have picked up pace and are now peaking. Any thoughts on how this will go, after a disappointing championship overall, hopefully Sunday will make up for it."
I honestly couldn't call it with any confidence,, tcg slight favourites but Fulham have even improved on last year..
the main thing in tcg favour this year is their playing STYLE, why they played so defensive in final last year was beyond me,. to extent got what deserved... Looking forward to this one,,

Jimmycricket (Meath) - Posts: 58 - 18/10/2018 15:20:00    2147136

Link

Serious achievement by TCG having 14 of their 15 scores coming from London born players

ifindoubt (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 29/10/2018 08:35:11    2148555

Link