Tyrone Forum

Tyrone Vs Sligo

(Oldest Posts First)

Firstly a big well done to our Tyrone boys last weekend in what could have been a difficult assignment down in Tipp. Like most Tyrone supporters before last Saturday I failed to see any particular direction or improvement in our play. But credit where credit is due we upped our game considerably and for whatever reason we really clicked into gear in the 2nd half and played the sort of football we really should be playing or try to play against most teams. I suppose the question marks might still be out given how poor Tipp where in the second half on their home ground, but for our next generation of Red & white (well mostly all white nowdays) this was a big win in terms of adopting the old 'No Fear' & 'Total Faith' approach that helped win us our 3 All Irelands in the 00's.
So Sligo next, people keep looking back to our defeat in the qualifiers in 2002 but we have beaten them since then and judging by their performance against Mayo, we really should be able to power our way to this years All Ireland Quarter Final. Of course Sligo will be hurting and want to restore pride, but for the first time in ages I feel Tyrone have regained focus and have a belief in themselves that just wasn't showing through before.

IrelandUnited (Tyrone) - Posts: 70 - 20/07/2015 19:05:40    1756632

Link

so where are we in the standings think back to our league matches against Monaghan and Donegal games we have seen the very bad break downs in our team, then we have seen the games against Mayo in the league very good away win and games between Dublin and Kerry which we should have won,the first 2 games in the back door would not have put fear in a lot of the teams still left in the AI however signs where good last week that thing might be coming together. the only fear I would have while Tipp are a up and coming team they are still a Div 3 team from a mostly hurling county.

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 162 - 23/07/2015 12:55:50    1757955

Link

Tyrone will probably beat Sligo, more to do with the fact of the ridiculous turn around that Sligo face as opposed to any great threat Tyrone carry. Nearly impossible for those Sligo players to pick themselves up from what they were subjected to...but that's another issue for another day.

Let's be honest, Tyrone have been beating fairly mediocre teams - obviously they had to beat them, and did so and Sligo will be next on the list but then it becomes a step up. A few wins will do none of the young lads any harm and get them used to the rigors of IC football but Tyrone are only really about to get to the stage of the AI race that even the biggest pessimist thought they would get to. Anything more after Sligo is bonus territory in my opinion.

GetOverTheBar (Tyrone) - Posts: 1388 - 23/07/2015 14:51:48    1758052

Link

If Tyrone can scrap the defensive football against Sligo and push up on their kickouts it was easy to see against Ros and Mayo that they struggle if they do not win Primary Possession. McCarron will miss this match, he has played a lot of football this year and has been one of our most consistant players in the squad this year, will Brennan be able to fill his shoes? Where is Justin? is he suffering from an injury he is a big miss to the team and maybe Mickey his keeping him extra fresh until/if we reach the Quarter finals as he feels he doesn't want to give too much away and doesnt feel the need to play him. I would like to see a few U21's come in this week. I know we have Myler, Bradley and Brennan but give a few lads the taste of Croker and C'ship football.

During the League campaign I thought Mc Nulty was one of our better players too and he reminded of of Sean back in the day running directly at goal taking people on setting up, taking scores or winning frees. We have a decent squad...whether it is a Sam winning team we'll have to wait and find out and will depend on what side of the draw we end up in. If we get Monaghan I feel we'd have a good chance of a final if its against Mayo having to play them and Dublin I feel we may struggle. We have never beaten Mayo in Croke park and deja vu of 2004/2013 plays on my mind.

Find_the_space (Tyrone) - Posts: 299 - 31/07/2015 08:57:53    1761516

Link

Why is McCarron out?

SJD (Mayo) - Posts: 5 - 31/07/2015 12:02:52    1761624

Link

Find The Space

People seem to get hung up on supposed bogey teams, bad past results and go with ever agenda the media put out there. Fact is we have beaten Mayo in Croke Park in our run to winning Sam back in 2008.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0802/235643-tyrone_mayo/

Can we win Sam this year? Dublin & Kerry would appear to be ahead of us, but I would still Fancy our chances against Fermanagh, Kildare, Monaghan, Mayo Or Donegal. We make not have the Quality or expeirence Yet, that we had back in the 00's, but we are no pushovers and confidence will be up amongst the squad if we can put up another Strong performance against Sligo, well who knows where we can go from there.

IrelandUnited (Tyrone) - Posts: 70 - 31/07/2015 18:37:32    1761820

Link

Mccarron was best man at his brothers wedding so was unavailable which is fair enough, we'll need him for next week

TyroneLegend78 (Tyrone) - Posts: 52 - 02/08/2015 10:19:32    1762264

Link

Need strength now against Monaghan and stop playing forwards as backs could have had 3 goals and 5 more points Decision making in forwards remains awful at times and Sean Cavanagh is still a bit too selfish or takes on too much responsibility in shooting as he always had a tendency to do best team in my view
Micky O Neill
A Mc Crory
Justin McM
C McCarron
R McNabb
Joe McMahon
Conor Clarke
Colm Cav
Padi McNulty
M Bradley
Mattie Donnelly
Peter Harte
D McCurry
Sean Cavanagh
Connor McAlliskey
Bring in runners McCanns Brennan O'Neill after 50 min
but there is real hope if forwards are let play forward and scores are worked not grabbed at, communication improves throughout the team and experience is brought in and used well from the off

cjx (Tyrone) - Posts: 270 - 02/08/2015 11:51:43    1762317

Link

Ok so you say the decision making in the forward line is awful so you make a change in goals, 3 changes in the back line and one at midfield...with one of the midfielders pushed up into the forward line.

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 03/08/2015 15:19:05    1763142

Link

How can you go against Mattie Donnelly in MF? its took a few years but it seems he's best suited in that position with Colm playing the sweeper allows him to advance up the field.

Defence - I like Clarke as a player but he hasn't had a run of games like the other players always a late sub so I wouldn't be rushing him back into the squad unless Harte plans to use him in the next game. Could be someone to bring on to steady the ship if Tyrone are in the lead. If Justy and McCarron come back into the squad I think it will give Tyrone a boost. two vital players that can be used to resist Monaghans attacking options.

Tiernan McCann is the best player for turning Defence into attack he can run all day and by the look of things doesn't have the confidence to shoot himself so will always lay it off to someone else, Conall on the other hand i'm not too sure about.

FF Line - What is the deal with Conor and Darren. None of them seem to be consistant, Conor more-so than Darren he was MoTM against Tipp but was very quiet against Sligo. On their day they are top quality players but lack a real consistency game in game out. Sean does take on a lot of responsibility and on few occasions on Sat he could have set up a few goals but playing and leading comfortably against sligo why not fist or take the simple score. There seems to be a real understanding with him and Bradley which is good to see.

Bench - Mc Nulty as i've said previously can win ariel battles and like to run at the defense
Ronan O'Neill - Harte no.1 decoy. Numerous times time to start but never does for some reason. could be useful to bring on
McBride - Seems to be a solid player havent seen enough of him in a Tyrone jersey to see if he cuts the cloth.
Lee/Rory Brennan - talented brothers that have pace, good handling and can come up with a few scores.
Clarke - If fit hes quality and could be a good player to bring in.

Find_the_space (Tyrone) - Posts: 299 - 03/08/2015 16:00:24    1763169

Link

will Mickey step down after this year i wonder?

johnbombkelly (Mayo) - Posts: 117 - 04/08/2015 14:36:17    1763749

Link

Lads this is the first year I've seen this new* fella you have Mark Bradley, and he looks like an absolute gem of a player.

I'm beginning to think that Tyrone have the bones of an AI team just need that one or two extra bit of class and yous would be there.

*Apologies if he's not a new player, I haven't seen him before.

Uncle_Fester (Meath) - Posts: 217 - 04/08/2015 16:06:31    1763840

Link

a lot of people from other counties very worried about Mick getting the p45 after this year have you jobs going or what lads

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 162 - 04/08/2015 16:07:04    1763843

Link

Mark Bradley is new to the senior squad Uncle_Fester, he is playing very well for sure. I was at the Sligo match and for me he was easily the man of the match. All respect to big Sean but he was not anywhere near as good as wee Bradley. I could nearly see a young peter canavan in him but he's more than just a good forward, the link up play he was doing was deadly. He has amazing vision, is lighting fast and can take a score..... love him altogether.

TyroneLegend78 (Tyrone) - Posts: 52 - 05/08/2015 08:13:19    1764081

Link