Tyrone Forum

Tyrone GAA Centre of Excellence

(Oldest Posts First)

Really excited about this project, I think its safe to say that Tir Eoghain County teams will soon enjoy thee best facilities in GAA. Also to see the County Board, Club Tyrone & Tyrone GAA in general embark on such an ambitious project, in the midst of the biggest recession for 50 years, takes nerve & foresight & quite frankly deserves to be rewarded handsomely with silverware for the County teams in years to come.

Latest pictures & progress update can be found here:
http://www.tyronegaa.ie/2010/12/garvaghey/

Artist impression of the finished product can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bJ_0hxMDE

Good luck to all involved, & keep up the good work!
Tir Eoghain ABu

redhandmacca (Tyrone) - Posts: 240 - 21/12/2010 08:35:29    836201

Link

this has the potential to finish not only clubs in tyrone but the county board financially, 7 million pounds come on your having a laugh for 6 pitches on a reclaimed bog in the middle of nowhere.(have you been up there not a tree to be seen as there all in scotland) every club in tyrone has a second pitch they dont need to be payin 2-3000 pounds a year to finance garvaghey as well. ask the likes of clogher greencastle fintona or edendork who have provided excellent facilities down through the years for the county teams how they feel about garvaghey. plenty of foresight from the county board alright that includes getting the begging bowl out for council funding and potentially withdrawing their teams from council facilites like youth sport and cookstown sports forum. plenty of foresight macca alright. though whoever designed the roof like a t was a genius.

reddoctor (Tyrone) - Posts: 1241 - 29/12/2010 10:52:10    837851

Link

what utter rubbish reddoctor!

Firstly - youre facts about money from clubs is incorrect. Wonder were you got that figure?? ...a bar stool no doubt

If men like you were in charge of running the GAA in tyrone, we'd be togging out in tin sheds again!

I bet you were one of those who ridiculed Peter Quinn, the then president of the GAA when he produced his plans for the re-development of Croke Park in the 90's. Again we had to listen to scaremongers like you, speculating that it would bankrupt the association & place an unbearable burden on the county boards across the island.

You speak utter rubbish my friend.

redhandmacca (Tyrone) - Posts: 240 - 06/01/2011 12:16:07    840590

Link

Know nothing about the financial side of things here, but i think this centre is a brillant idea and that its being built is an absolute credit 2 all of tyrone it'll be 2nd to none in all of Ireland when it's finished.
Saying that this wont gaurantee a thing on the football field as derry have had their brillant owenbeg for years which is also a great set up, the main thing is that the clubs keep putting the work is put in from underage rite through.

Aussie_Duke (Tyrone) - Posts: 97 - 06/01/2011 14:00:24    840671

Link

I think now all it needs is a big bronze statue at the gate so we can all genuflect to it on the way past.

mugsys_barber (Tyrone) - Posts: 2160 - 07/01/2011 11:28:45    841252

Link

07/01/2011 11:28:45
mugsys_barber
County: Tyrone

841252 I think now all it needs is a big bronze statue at the gate so we can all genuflect to it on the way past.

They could put the white elephant directly opposite it as well

GrizzlyAdams (Tyrone) - Posts: 576 - 07/01/2011 19:27:29    841773

Link

Hope it goes under to be honest, its a sinful waste of money. It does not benefit the whole of the county and will only favour the elite. Most people in tyrone will probably never even see it never mind use it.

TheHill (Tyrone) - Posts: 46 - 08/01/2011 15:14:55    842051

Link

macca would you like to put a figure on what it will cost the clubs a year if i have exaggerated. currently all clubs in tyrone contrbute 500 i presume to club tyrone for the development of the county teams etc. will this now be enough. how much will it take to run garvaghey per year once built 100 /200 thousand plus the usual 4-500 000 that it takes to run tyrone anyway where do you think this will come from. are each club in tyrone not signed up for 5grand to raise 250 000 between them. i also dont see any tin huts in tyrone my friend either. my point is that the clubs in tyrone are at breaking point financially without this burden. im sure the money that tyrone will save on pitches training facilities will be offset on servicing the debt on the t shack on the hill. i dont for one minute dispute the need for visionaries in our association but i do dispute the rationale for this facility. do you really think big sean cavnagh after a busy day at work and a bit of hoovering at home will be arsed in driving down to the t shack to do some xtra weights when the same weights are probably lying at the moy. however i do applaud the notion of garvaghey as a centre of ecellence as tyrone have always struggled in the wind. macca could you put a few numbers together and enlighten us. remember the more expensive something is the more it is perceived to be excellent. at least it will stop players having to cycle to pomeroy to train. (though i do remember thaddy turbitt say it improved his spatial awareness visual acuity and kick out).

reddoctor (Tyrone) - Posts: 1241 - 09/01/2011 10:41:54    842313

Link

Yes, the cost to the clubs is £1000 per year for 5 years, this is not the worrying bit, its the increase on all the clubs affiliation fees which are already sky high by another £2000/£3000 per year(running costs) , watch this space, ask the clubs in Louth. Its a coming !!!!!

checkmate (Tyrone) - Posts: 2 - 19/02/2011 11:49:50    871312

Link

The floodlights were on last night & the county team had their first full training session at Garvaghy. Fantastic acheivement & sure to be a real asset to the County in the years to come...

redhandmacca (Tyrone) - Posts: 240 - 22/02/2013 08:26:25    1337626

Link

Great to see garvaghy up and running. It can only bode well for the county. As an edendork man, I have always given the county my backing to use our club pitch if it helped bring success but with garvaghy now, it is a great point to continue our success through all levels and all codes and maybe help bring club football onto the next level and compete with the big guns of ireland.

At the end of the day, it is better than the garvaghy that they have in Armagh ;-)

KCurrie (Tyrone) - Posts: 157 - 22/02/2013 09:54:46    1337651

Link

good to see it open now the problem will be the payments to keep it open.

weebox (Tyrone) - Posts: 272 - 23/02/2013 14:54:03    1338197

Link

that money could have been better spent as there are clubs in Tyrone who still do not have their own facilities or are in serious need of redevelopment/expansion

wise_guy (Tyrone) - Posts: 1584 - 09/03/2013 15:56:46    1345908

Link

Thought I'd throw this thread back up again, always good to review past posts and analysis. Especially today, a great day for Tyrone gaa

redhandmacca (Tyrone) - Posts: 240 - 28/09/2013 15:29:06    1490932

Link