Tyrone Forum

Tyrone NFL 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

How good you think Tyrone will do in the league?

Tough one away to Kerry to start. We have a poor record down there.

Predictions?

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1698 - 20/01/2019 12:36:18    2158372

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "How good you think Tyrone will do in the league?

Tough one away to Kerry to start. We have a poor record down there.

Predictions?"
Ye have a successful McKenna Cup behind ye, ok it might be a hard cutting competition but still it is competitive games and worth 3 training sessions per game, us on the other hand are coming in cold, we didn't compete in the McGrath Cup but even if we did it is a pointless competition.

We've played 2 challenge games lately first against the Tralee IT and also with Laois giving us enough of it. we'll have a relatively young side out not big boys but skillful and paced. Could and should be a good clash. I expect a big crowd being the first home game and first under the new management so if traveling get there early and safe journey down.

It could be a 2 or 3 point swing in either direction with home pitch may shade it but like I said it could go either way

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4078 - 21/01/2019 21:30:40    2158759

Link

It would be great to see Tyrone go on a good run and push for a final place. The last few years have been very inconsistent. A win in Kerry does not happen often and would be a great boost for the rest of the league. I thought the Tyrone v Armagh game was played at league pace and I would expect both of them to benefit from this and expect Tyrone to win on Sunday.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1602 - 22/01/2019 14:29:58    2158897

Link

Safe travels lads it's rough out there.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9509 - 26/01/2019 20:30:36    2159760

Link

awful start to the league and at this rate we look like a good bet to drop to div 2 next year unless things dramatically change we have 10 points on offer but we still have to play Dublin and a very strong Monaghan team that seem to have our number over the last couple of meetings.
Next week Roscommon will fancy their chances of beating us and rightly so they will see this as the match that could possibly see them safe in div 1 for next season at our expense,
I hope Mickey can sort the lads out and also change the free taker Lee Brennan would be a safer bet on frees

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 163 - 04/02/2019 14:07:01    2162510

Link

I would love to see Tyrone taking a crack at the league but the division one performances over the last five years have been very patchy to say the least. In many matches they have looked slow and heavy legged and I presume the training schedule is not tailored to suit the league. This may be understanable considering they were on holiday etc it does not look good for Sunday and while they may come back stronger after the break in the league the best one can hope for is finish above Cavan & Roscommon.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1602 - 04/02/2019 15:27:25    2162535

Link

Need something from roscommon game on Sunday.

Smiler21 (Tyrone) - Posts: 21 - 05/02/2019 20:02:52    2162838

Link

Replying To Smiler21:  "Need something from roscommon game on Sunday."
anything less than 2pts is not good enough

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 163 - 06/02/2019 13:18:50    2162969

Link

Yeah need a big performance.

This time last year we lost 2 and beat Kildare by a point in our third game and went on to finish safely in mid table. I would certainly take a one point away to Roscommon on sunday.

It does look as if Tyrone were back late after the all ireland last year and the training would probably be heavy based running that will be beneifical later in the year.

Hopefully last weeks defeat will be the kick up the backside they need.

Il go for Tyrone by 4

anyone going??

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1698 - 08/02/2019 12:45:46    2163441

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Yeah need a big performance.

This time last year we lost 2 and beat Kildare by a point in our third game and went on to finish safely in mid table. I would certainly take a one point away to Roscommon on sunday.

It does look as if Tyrone were back late after the all ireland last year and the training would probably be heavy based running that will be beneifical later in the year.

Hopefully last weeks defeat will be the kick up the backside they need.

Il go for Tyrone by 4

anyone going??"
Fridge I will be there, The Hyde is a good stadium and unlike Fitzgerald stadium at least they have proper seats not 2 bits of wood on top of concrete blocks. This is going to be a tough match, Roscommon look to have their tails up but Tyrone really need to win this match. No matter how bad we played against Mayo I am confident Tyrone will play with more intensity in this match.

TyroneUltra (Tyrone) - Posts: 298 - 08/02/2019 13:16:45    2163452

Link

Replying To TyroneUltra:  "Fridge I will be there, The Hyde is a good stadium and unlike Fitzgerald stadium at least they have proper seats not 2 bits of wood on top of concrete blocks. This is going to be a tough match, Roscommon look to have their tails up but Tyrone really need to win this match. No matter how bad we played against Mayo I am confident Tyrone will play with more intensity in this match."
The Hyde is rough enough to be honest

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 562 - 09/02/2019 00:30:23    2163612

Link

Replying To dave1988:  "The Hyde is rough enough to be honest"
But at least it has seats.

TyroneUltra (Tyrone) - Posts: 298 - 09/02/2019 22:24:46    2163832

Link

Why are we so bad at the minute...Rossies deserved to win that only for Morgan . Mediocre and average football so far , so few turn overs as well normally that's our strength . I dunno what they are at .

Game2Halves (Tyrone) - Posts: 263 - 10/02/2019 17:53:54    2164143

Link

A strange game today v Roscommon, held to just 3 points in the first half with Roscommon running rampant.
I honestly though we where going to get hammered like againt Mayo. Tyrone players looked laboured and disorganised. The reality was I dont think anyone knew just how much the wind was a factor in this game, in the second half Tyrone had so much possession, but ultimately it was Niall Morgan who was brilliant in my view today hitting 3 giant scores that got us a point and so we are on the board, Conor Meyler made a good impact when he came on in the second half winning breaking ball which in the first half I dont think we won a single break.
I dont know if it is a hangover from the All-Ireland final or that Tyrone are in heavy training but that bit of zip is missing, I'm not going to write us off yet it still is only February the pitches are heavy going. Tyrone players really need to check what studs they have on their boots as so many tend to slip at bad times. With a 2 week break now I hope Tyrone begin moving up the gears in terms of intensity running of the shoulder breaking the tackle and commiting more men forward, pushing up on teams and not letting them gain primary posession easily.
Anyway onwards and upwards Tir'Eoghain Abu'.

TyroneUltra (Tyrone) - Posts: 298 - 10/02/2019 22:41:00    2164324

Link

Replying To TyroneUltra:  "A strange game today v Roscommon, held to just 3 points in the first half with Roscommon running rampant.
I honestly though we where going to get hammered like againt Mayo. Tyrone players looked laboured and disorganised. The reality was I dont think anyone knew just how much the wind was a factor in this game, in the second half Tyrone had so much possession, but ultimately it was Niall Morgan who was brilliant in my view today hitting 3 giant scores that got us a point and so we are on the board, Conor Meyler made a good impact when he came on in the second half winning breaking ball which in the first half I dont think we won a single break.
I dont know if it is a hangover from the All-Ireland final or that Tyrone are in heavy training but that bit of zip is missing, I'm not going to write us off yet it still is only February the pitches are heavy going. Tyrone players really need to check what studs they have on their boots as so many tend to slip at bad times. With a 2 week break now I hope Tyrone begin moving up the gears in terms of intensity running of the shoulder breaking the tackle and commiting more men forward, pushing up on teams and not letting them gain primary posession easily.
Anyway onwards and upwards Tir'Eoghain Abu'."
I thought Tyrone failed to pick up on the impact of the wind as the 1st half progressed even after the first couple of Rosscommon scores from distance we failed to pressure the ball carrier early enough. They constantly had men receiving the ball 40 metres out with space to turn and shoot and boy did they shoot.

The Tyrone press should have been adjusted by about 10 or 15 metres to take account of Rosscommon's range with the wind. Whist defending against the wind we conceded 10 scores whilst they only conceded 7, that to me was the main factor in the game

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 549 - 12/02/2019 13:50:56    2164861

Link

Strange game. Elements played a huge part.

I felt Tyrone could have taken a few more risks in the second half, pushed a few forward to support Cathal McShane (the experiment off playing him full forward didnt really work).

Again shooting at vital times let us down. McGeary with a good chance to go 1 up with time nearly up, missed. McShane one on one with keeper. Missed. I thought some of our defending was lax. The Roscommon goal summed it up. Two Tyrone men, Hampsey and Brennan i think, let Cox twist and turn and play the ball in. should have been closed down and and turned over.

Monaghan game is now massive for both teams. Must win and should be a cracker.
What are your thoughts on Brian Kennedy so far?

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1698 - 13/02/2019 12:49:45    2165087

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Strange game. Elements played a huge part.

I felt Tyrone could have taken a few more risks in the second half, pushed a few forward to support Cathal McShane (the experiment off playing him full forward didnt really work).

Again shooting at vital times let us down. McGeary with a good chance to go 1 up with time nearly up, missed. McShane one on one with keeper. Missed. I thought some of our defending was lax. The Roscommon goal summed it up. Two Tyrone men, Hampsey and Brennan i think, let Cox twist and turn and play the ball in. should have been closed down and and turned over.

Monaghan game is now massive for both teams. Must win and should be a cracker.
What are your thoughts on Brian Kennedy so far?"
I feel Brian Kennedy could be developed into a very useful player a proper big midfielder who can go up and win primary possession. But this is only his first year and it will take time for him to develop at county level, Colm Cavanagh would be a good man to show him the ropes.. I thought Cathal McShane did well at coming out and winning possession but unfortunately the rest wasn't great. If Cathal is to be used as a target man in full forward he needs to be played there every game so he can get used to the role, when a player is being chopped and changed to different positions it is hard to adapt to a particular role. I know Ritchie Donnelly is only coming back from injury I felt he did rightly there last year. Come championship time I feel our defence and midfield should be ok, again it is getting the forward division working especially against the like of Dublin Kerry and Mayo. We have 3 homes games and away game to Dublin hopefully we can get enough points to stay in Division 1 the teams named are the teams Tyrone want to be testing themselves against.

TyroneUltra (Tyrone) - Posts: 298 - 13/02/2019 13:21:24    2165100

Link

anyone know if we will see Cathal McCarron in the last few league matches or has he left the panel

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 163 - 06/03/2019 13:29:21    2170620

Link

Tyrone deserved that win. Controlled it even with a man down. I would go as far to say it was the best win I have seen against this Dublin football team in overall consistency of performance.

If youse get kerry in the final I hope youse bait the sh*te out of them! :D

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 984 - 16/03/2019 22:37:50    2172863

Link