Tyrone Forum

All Ireland Final 2018 (10 Years On We're There Again)

(Oldest Posts First)

Firstly a Massive congrats to Mickey and this New Tyrone team, 10 years on and we're there again back in an All Ireland final :)

Hands up I like many others felt a change of management was neccessary, nothing pesonal against Mickey just the belief that in life all things change and that maybe it was just time to freshen things up with new ideas and motivators to push our teams forward to be the best they could be.

Our most successfull manager Vs a 10 year barren spell, seemed to indicate my thoughts might have been right, but Back to Back Ulster titles and two close semi final defeats vs Mayo & Kerry indicated we where on the right path. Then slap bang in the face a 12 point hammering by the Dubs in last years Semi Final, put all those doubts back in place.
It wasn't getting beaten by the Dubs (IMO One of the best, if not thee best teams to have ever played Gaelic Football) it was the manor of our defeat, the way we stuck rigidly to our defensive game plan, marking Zones rather than taking responsibility or manning up and putting in the hard takles to make Dublin work for thir scores, while having the belief in our own ability and taking the game to Dublin.

After such a demoralising defeat credit has to go to Mickey & his backroom team in the way they have managed to regroup, rebuild and push on and get this new team to this years final (only Colm Cavanagh has played in an All Ireland Final and has a Winners Medal)

Despite all the negative media mud slinging about our style of play, Tyrone ARE currently one of the best Football teams in Ireland. Dublin currenty Number 1, they are a machine, the bar they have set and continue to set is extremely high; Yes we have flaws, but we also have many fine footballers, who are equally as dedicated athletes, probably the Fittest Tyrone Team there ever has ever been , in supreme Physical condition, We Will be Driven to Win.

A great feeling to be back in the All Ireland final, gonna be the toughest one to try win yet but it can be done, so in the three weeks buildup and on the the day let's all get behind Mickey and the boys.

Tir Eoghain Abu !!

IrelandUnited (Tyrone) - Posts: 70 - 14/08/2018 11:47:27    2133128

Link

Replying To IrelandUnited:  "Firstly a Massive congrats to Mickey and this New Tyrone team, 10 years on and we're there again back in an All Ireland final :)

Hands up I like many others felt a change of management was neccessary, nothing pesonal against Mickey just the belief that in life all things change and that maybe it was just time to freshen things up with new ideas and motivators to push our teams forward to be the best they could be.

Our most successfull manager Vs a 10 year barren spell, seemed to indicate my thoughts might have been right, but Back to Back Ulster titles and two close semi final defeats vs Mayo & Kerry indicated we where on the right path. Then slap bang in the face a 12 point hammering by the Dubs in last years Semi Final, put all those doubts back in place.
It wasn't getting beaten by the Dubs (IMO One of the best, if not thee best teams to have ever played Gaelic Football) it was the manor of our defeat, the way we stuck rigidly to our defensive game plan, marking Zones rather than taking responsibility or manning up and putting in the hard takles to make Dublin work for thir scores, while having the belief in our own ability and taking the game to Dublin.

After such a demoralising defeat credit has to go to Mickey & his backroom team in the way they have managed to regroup, rebuild and push on and get this new team to this years final (only Colm Cavanagh has played in an All Ireland Final and has a Winners Medal)

Despite all the negative media mud slinging about our style of play, Tyrone ARE currently one of the best Football teams in Ireland. Dublin currenty Number 1, they are a machine, the bar they have set and continue to set is extremely high; Yes we have flaws, but we also have many fine footballers, who are equally as dedicated athletes, probably the Fittest Tyrone Team there ever has ever been , in supreme Physical condition, We Will be Driven to Win.

A great feeling to be back in the All Ireland final, gonna be the toughest one to try win yet but it can be done, so in the three weeks buildup and on the the day let's all get behind Mickey and the boys.

Tir Eoghain Abu !!"
It is a great feeling to be back in the big time again. 4 semi final defeats were hard to take. It is a fantastic achievement from Micky, the players and the back room team. As he said it's great for the gaels of Tyrone. It brings a great buzz to the county.
It will be the toughest test and if we manage it it will be one off the great sporting upsets. Tyrone certainly won't fear the dubs and hopefully we do enough to get over the line.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1698 - 14/08/2018 13:54:17    2133197

Link

I'm not going to even think about the game yet just going to enjoy the fact we are back in a All-Ireland Final. Take a spin around different towns to see all the Tyrone flags and bunting its great, soaking in the whole buildup to the final. Thank you Mickey, Gavin, Peter and all the players for giving us the biggest day to look forward to. TOTAL FAITH.
Tir'Eoghain abu'.

TyroneUltra (Tyrone) - Posts: 298 - 14/08/2018 16:49:43    2133292

Link

Enjoy it all lads

We had to look on during the 00's with great envy as you boys lived our dreams !

I think this game has the makings of being a good final

I don't buy this Dublin are overwhelming favourites crap and I saw what you boys did to Dublin up in Omagh over those last few minutes..

You boys will be like demons and I'd expect nothing else.

Congrats on getting back to the very top and now that you're there I don't expect you'll be knocked back down without some serious effort..

Enjoy it all, I certainly am. I waited long enough!

Let's the battle and craic commence

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19561 - 15/08/2018 17:50:24    2133672

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Enjoy it all lads

We had to look on during the 00's with great envy as you boys lived our dreams !

I think this game has the makings of being a good final

I don't buy this Dublin are overwhelming favourites crap and I saw what you boys did to Dublin up in Omagh over those last few minutes..

You boys will be like demons and I'd expect nothing else.

Congrats on getting back to the very top and now that you're there I don't expect you'll be knocked back down without some serious effort..

Enjoy it all, I certainly am. I waited long enough!

Let's the battle and craic commence"
Good man Jim.
Should be a great day

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1698 - 15/08/2018 19:08:08    2133690

Link

Mickey brought Total Faith to Tyrone which thankfully brought us 3 All Irelands. He also kept the faith for the past 10 years, whilst no more Sams, was able to keep our county among the best in the country. It has taken longer than most would have liked to rebuild a team capable of mounting a challenge for the ultimate prize but he has done it again. We were so lucky in the past to have such marquee all star players like Peter, Eoin, Stevie, Brian (both), Cormac etc all playing together that this was always going to be impossible to emulate. Thanks Mickey and entire team, everyone is massively proud of you, hope you all can go on and do it for us!

Whilst Dublin have a great team and have been playing so well this last few years, they are not unbeatable. This is the final most people wanted to see, the two best teams at the moment. It will take more than skill to win this game, the atmosphere, weather, referee, injuries, the bounce of a ball and lady luck herself all have a say too. Hope its a great ding dong game and win lose or draw its been a great season for gaelic Tyrone. Tir Eoghain Abu.

Clubfoot (Tyrone) - Posts: 102 - 16/08/2018 12:17:24    2133812

Link

Of the teams left in the semi-finals I felt Tyrone were the most dangerous team left for Dublin. They're also the best team Dublin played all year and with the exception of last year's semi-final Mickey Harte has always pushed Jim Gavin closely in the league meetings between the two.

Dublin are rightly favourites and should win the game but I don't think it is as big a gap as everyone seems to believe it is.

We'll see how it goes in anyways.

If Dublin are to lose to anyone in a final I'm glad that it is Tyrone with the chance as I've always enjoyed the Tyrone crowd when they come to Dublin.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12648 - 16/08/2018 16:39:31    2133896

Link

just to settle an argument for me on another forum , can anyone tell me how many of the present Tyrone panel were involved in the 2015 All Ireland under 21 winning team

culmore (None) - Posts: 1357 - 17/08/2018 17:36:04    2134108

Link

Replying To culmore:  "just to settle an argument for me on another forum , can anyone tell me how many of the present Tyrone panel were involved in the 2015 All Ireland under 21 winning team"
7 I think.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1698 - 17/08/2018 19:23:18    2134128

Link

Tyrone are definitely one of our arch rivals, been going since '95 I guess. We've given it good to each other and we both tasted glory. I'll be edgy going in to this one. But like you lads were saying, it's brilliant to be in the final, I enjoy it as much as ever. See ye on the 2nd.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7685 - 18/08/2018 01:54:45    2134165

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "7 I think."
There is 10 of the 2015 all Ireland winning u21 team involved. Though Cassidy and McLaughlin haven't featured in the championship partly due to injury.

A Another (None) - Posts: 182 - 22/08/2018 10:49:15    2135532

Link

Replying To A Another:  "There is 10 of the 2015 all Ireland winning u21 team involved. Though Cassidy and McLaughlin haven't featured in the championship partly due to injury."
Forgot about them two to be honest. Good total to bring though. Good to see

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1698 - 22/08/2018 20:39:28    2135720

Link

Can anyone inform me what Tyrones fanbase is like? Are there sections of the county who follow them more than others? Is there any bitterness because of club rivalries?
I remember a couple of people from Cookstown said they hadn't much interest in Tyrone.

PattyONeill (Derry) - Posts: 44 - 23/08/2018 16:20:08    2136017

Link

Hi folks best of luck in the final.
Quick query. How many all Ireland's has Peter Donnelly?
I know he was a sub in 03 and I think 09 but not sure? Does he have 3?

croker16 (Louth) - Posts: 331 - 24/08/2018 19:55:19    2136414

Link

Replying To croker16:  "Hi folks best of luck in the final.
Quick query. How many all Ireland's has Peter Donnelly?
I know he was a sub in 03 and I think 09 but not sure? Does he have 3?"
Sorry I meant 08. Damn typo!!

croker16 (Louth) - Posts: 331 - 24/08/2018 22:08:07    2136438

Link