Sligo Forum

FBD vs NUIG

(Oldest Posts First)

Anyonew know the sligo team to play NUIG on Sunday?

caltraman (Galway) - Posts: 32 - 11/01/2013 16:09:25    1317030

Link

Sligo team and scorers vs NUIG.
B McGovern; A Brennan, J Martyn, J Kelly; N Ewing, A McIntyre, B Curran; J Clarke(0-1), E Mullen; Brendan Egan, N Murphy(0-5), S McManus; Brian Egan(0-3), M Breheny(0-1), K Sweeney(0-4). Subs: P Greene for B McGovern, K Cawley for N Ewing, C Harrison for A Brennan, S Gilmartin for S McManus.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2749 - 14/01/2013 08:24:40    1317876

Link

thought Greene was retired????

john.no1 (Sligo) - Posts: 456 - 14/01/2013 13:48:53    1318101

Link

Was at the game sunday and must say sligo were good value for there lead at half time.must say the secnd half was terrible.the defense looked very shakey and we were lucky not to concede 2 more goals.That being said the movememnt in the forwards never materialised in the second half as well as that the tackling coming out of nuig defense was poor second half from a sligo perspective.i looked on the bench to see michael gormley and gareth ryan sitting there along with o dowd with mccormack and devaney there too,surely walsh has seen enough of mcgovern and greene over the last few yers to know what to expect, he should be giving the new players more of a chance and im wondering if there in there too make numbers with walsh having no plans to keep them on.I cant see walsh playing them against galway.maybe they are playing colleges football and being rested for further college games i just dont no but i do wonder when he will give them some proper game time.national league is only 2 weeks away he needs to give them a chance.

moleman17 (Sligo) - Posts: 64 - 14/01/2013 17:42:34    1318292

Link

Sligo in the FBD League final. Really sets them up for the year. Mayo won the last two FBD League titles and followed them up with a Connaught title. Food for thought.
No longer the also rans of Connaught football

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2749 - 21/01/2013 12:43:29    1321159

Link

Was in Enniscrone yesterday and first of all congrats to Sligo on a good win yesterday. Some good individual performances but it is only Jan so no need to get too excited. One issue that i have this year is the addition of new players to the squad, only brought on one sub yesterday Francis Quinn on for Sweeney with 8 mins to go. In fairness to Francis Quinn, he is on the panel for the last few years so i would not call hima new player. Now i am all in favour of winning a cup to kick start the year but what is the point in bringing new lads into the panel and not give them a run? Bar Brian Egan (Played well) it was the same lads for the last number of years , how come the likes of Aodhan Brennan, Michael Gormley, Gareth Ryan, Niall Murphy could not be thrown into the mix to see if they are up to that level? From what i have seen of Aodhan and Michael they stand out a mile in senior club football and deserve a chance. I know some of the new lads got game time against the colleges but at the end of the day i would have liked to see a lot more new faces in the team in an FBD game to test them that trying them out in the National league, bottom line is we need to get out of DIV 3. Management are talking that league does not matter that much and they are gearing towards championship, of course it matters as the way that i look at when we were in the top leagues (DIV1 & 2) playing against the top teams it brought us on and improves players games.

sligodomain (Sligo) - Posts: 88 - 21/01/2013 15:06:38    1321260

Link

sligodomain
County: Sligo

What is the story with Philip Greene, didn't he announce his retirement? If so why is he still in the panel? Ar we that stuck for a goalkeeper that he has to be coaxed back to the team. Don't get me wrong he is a good shot stopper but his kick-outs are too one dimensional and he is not going to change now. Because we have a weak midfield who cannot contest strongly enough, his kick-outs are hugely important. Why can the management not see this?

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 297 - 21/01/2013 16:09:34    1321329

Link

Think Phili had never retired as it was just an error from a local paper. It is a wonder that Sligo management did not try him as a full forward and then come back and say they were trying out new players !

sligodomain (Sligo) - Posts: 88 - 21/01/2013 17:09:32    1321374

Link

With Adrian McIntyre now joining the panel, I think our options at midfield are much improved. God knows we have struggled in that area for the last few years but I'm delighted to see Adrian has joined the panel and will make a huge difference in my opinion.

sligoman2 (None) - Posts: 15 - 23/01/2013 12:50:21    1322254

Link

That's right, well improved Sligo team.

allSOran (Sligo) - Posts: 690 - 27/01/2013 21:04:50    1324567

Link