Sligo Forum

Connacht title will come home this year

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

mayo are poor,sligo are very poor and galway are beyond poor!

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 715 - 15/07/2012 21:25:04    1218366

Link

Lost the game at midfield, won no ball here. need to vary kick outs to try and win a few of our own. Management and team should spend an hour watching Stephen cluxton and the Dublin midfield/ half forwards and half backs to vary the kick outs and make space for players to have some advantage in winning our own kick outs.

Kicker33 (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 15/07/2012 22:02:46    1218462

Link

That a very good point Kicker33, I thought green just lamped the ball as hard as he could up in the air. When it came down there was a bunch of 6/8 competing for it each time and Mayo seemed to win the majority of these.

longwayback (Sligo) - Posts: 21 - 16/07/2012 10:02:12    1218562

Link

Well done to Mayo, to be writing them off after this game would be ridiculous. While their forwards didn't perform some credit needs to go to the Sligo backs for that.

As for Mort not being there, i think he will regret that, he could have been the player that scored the wide that put Mayo in front. Boyle's point is something that happens and was unfortunate for Sligo. I personally was more disappointed in the Ref's flip flop within a few minutes of how he penalized the surrounded sligo player in procession only to penalize the sligo defense in the same scenario a short while later. Giving Mayo an easy point.

I would imagine Mayo are a little disappointed that their mid field dominance didn't get reflected on the scoreboard. I think the real winning of the game for mayo was the introduction of O'Shea, he has the making of a serious mid-fielder.

I was disappointed Davey wasn't introduced earlier, he is very hard to dispossess without fouling him and he should have been used as an alternative to kicking out long kickouts.

Hopefully Sligo re-group and dont repeat 2010, having 2 weeks will help with that. And knowing our two potential opponents should give us something to aim for.

Bunch (Sligo) - Posts: 37 - 16/07/2012 10:40:12    1218651

Link

longwayback
County: Sligo

That a very good point Kicker33, I thought green just lamped the ball as hard as he could up in the air. When it came down there was a bunch of 6/8 competing for it each time and Mayo seemed to win the majority of these.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Really? I thought Sligo destroyed us on breaking ball in the second half in particular (until O'Shea came in). Almost everytime the ball broke its was Sligo hands to get to it first. I was really worried until O'Shea's introduction.

Good luck v Kildare/Limerick.

killer_88_ (Mayo) - Posts: 2040 - 16/07/2012 10:41:02    1218653

Link

Hard luck yesterday lads - we just scraped home but he really had us on the ropes and could have won. It was a poor game and mayo and sligo are better "footballing" teams then they showed us yesterday.

All the best in the qualifiers - ye might be with us in croker on the august bank holiday weekend yet.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9856 - 16/07/2012 12:43:38    1218920

Link

Hard to know where to start. O Hara brought on, how many balls did Moran catch over his head? 2nd half against wind needed runners, why wasn't Davey brought on earlier. Tony T's legs were gone for a while before being taken off.

1st half with wind Mayo dropped wing backs back and swept up causing Sligo to kick it high to get ball over them allowing the Mayo defence to clean up and when they broke forward they weren't tracked. Ewing struggled all day and Sligo were kept in the game by bad wides and missed opportunities by Mayo. The quality ball into forwards wasn't there and we struggled for scores, relying on frees to keep score ticking over. 2nd half Sligo ran into dead ends. Sligo midfielders were out powered constantly. Also we couldn't seem to win breaking ball. Tony T and McManus just broke ball without looking to breaking it to players in black. Mayo swept up most breaks

There is still a decent team there and have alot to work on, Kildare/Limerick one big performance needed and we will be in Croker

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 336 - 16/07/2012 18:38:49    1219599

Link