Sligo Forum

Club Championships 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To eoinog:  "Drumcliffe are safely in Quarter final. A draw for Coolera would see them through and Harps go into relegation. A loss for Coolera would see them in relegation as on a head to head with Harps, Harps would qualify. Coolers won their first game."
I am aware Drumcliffe are in Quarter final and different scenarios but I was correcting your previous statement which excluded them from list of teams that could go through on 3 losses. Also if draws in final round of games then teams whom you mentioned wouldn't be going through with 3 losses. Also you mentioned Coolera going through with 3 losses in 1st post but as you correctly say above, if they lose to Drumcliffe then they are out so how did you reckon previously they could go through with 3 losses?

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 336 - 27/08/2019 12:46:47    2229763

Link

Replying To muscles:  "I am aware Drumcliffe are in Quarter final and different scenarios but I was correcting your previous statement which excluded them from list of teams that could go through on 3 losses. Also if draws in final round of games then teams whom you mentioned wouldn't be going through with 3 losses. Also you mentioned Coolera going through with 3 losses in 1st post but as you correctly say above, if they lose to Drumcliffe then they are out so how did you reckon previously they could go through with 3 losses?"
Basically I forgot that Coolaney had beaten Drumcliffe when I was doing my sums.. I figured Calry will beat Coolaney which would leave Coolera, Harps and Coolaney all on 2 points and on score difference Harps would go down meaning Coolaney and Coolera would go into quarter final having lost 3 game's.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 643 - 27/08/2019 14:22:47    2229818

Link

What do you see as the shock of the weekend?
Harps with the win over strandhill was a big one in senior.
Geevagh with a massive score line over Johns in intermediate to me wasn't surprising.
Not many seen Castleconnor beating Easkey. Done well to hold on in the end. Lot of pressure on the Castleconnor goal in the last 15.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

gaaman20 (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 27/08/2019 15:36:37    2229836

Link

Why is the there no posts about the venue for Buninadden v Pat's and Geevagh v St John's?

One of the back pitches in scarden!

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 201 - 27/08/2019 23:29:55    2229979

Link

I attended the game it was an absolute disgrace that field isn't fit for cattle to graze on never mind a championship game to be played on. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the CB put a mandate on all clubs to have external fencing to hold championship games when the home/away experiement was tried? Now they don't even go by those guidelines when it comes to their own house. This was the same pitch that I saw backroom memebers of an underage county team go around with a wheelbarrow filled with sand covering holes while the team was warming up on that very pitch!!
Harps was defintely the surprise of the weekend, losing Murphy obviously a huge loss for Coolera. Makes the last round of fixtures interesting in that group,correct me if I'm wrong but DRP are safe regardless win or lose as it will go down to head to head and coolera must win? Tour looked extremely comfortable and musy have eyes on a connacht semi correct me if I'm wrong but do the sligo champions play the leitrim champs? Surprised SG didn't give Tubber a sterner test although the sending off of D.Quinn was a huge loss for them. In the Inter, Geevagh look strong although the dismissal of Harrison ended the game as a contest, big win for CC, Curry also looked good and with the return of Red Og imminent they should be there or there abouts come the business end. Routine wins in the Junior A Michaels look to have woken themselves up after the cloonacool defeat.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 28/08/2019 12:47:41    2230098

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "I attended the game it was an absolute disgrace that field isn't fit for cattle to graze on never mind a championship game to be played on. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the CB put a mandate on all clubs to have external fencing to hold championship games when the home/away experiement was tried? Now they don't even go by those guidelines when it comes to their own house. This was the same pitch that I saw backroom memebers of an underage county team go around with a wheelbarrow filled with sand covering holes while the team was warming up on that very pitch!!
Harps was defintely the surprise of the weekend, losing Murphy obviously a huge loss for Coolera. Makes the last round of fixtures interesting in that group,correct me if I'm wrong but DRP are safe regardless win or lose as it will go down to head to head and coolera must win? Tour looked extremely comfortable and musy have eyes on a connacht semi correct me if I'm wrong but do the sligo champions play the leitrim champs? Surprised SG didn't give Tubber a sterner test although the sending off of D.Quinn was a huge loss for them. In the Inter, Geevagh look strong although the dismissal of Harrison ended the game as a contest, big win for CC, Curry also looked good and with the return of Red Og imminent they should be there or there abouts come the business end. Routine wins in the Junior A Michaels look to have woken themselves up after the cloonacool defeat."
DRP are safe regardless

winners of Sligo senior will play Roscommon champions in Quarter Final, then London winners in Semi

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 336 - 28/08/2019 13:21:28    2230118

Link

AIB CLUB SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Pre Lim
A: Sligo v Roscommon
B: Leitrim v Mayo

Semi-Finals
B v Galway
London v A ( In Ruislip)

AIB CLUB INTERMEDIATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Pre Lim:
A: Leitrim v Roscommon

Semi-Finals
Sligo v Mayo
Galway v A

AIB CLUB JUNIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Pre Lim:
A: Galway v Mayo

Semi-Finals
Leitrim v Sligo
A v Roscommon

AIB CLUB JUNIOR HURLING CHAMPIONSHIP

Semi-Finals
A: Sligo v Leitrim

FINAL:
Sligo/Leitrim v Galway (In COE)

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 336 - 28/08/2019 13:27:46    2230120

Link

What club does Jorg play for?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 63 - 29/08/2019 15:05:34    2230442

Link

You can really sense the anticipation for the weekend's games with all the talk about them. Anyway I'd be expecting wins for Tourlestrane probably by a point a man, Shamrock Gaels, Calry just about, and think Coolera will shade it v Drumcliffe. Curry, Farnans, Enniscrone and Johns to win in Intermediate.

It's been mentioned before about the bizarre selections of venues for games, and the complete refusal to have double headers where punters might get the value of two games to see instead of one, Castleconnor getting two effective home games against Curry and Ballymote too, but I see Coolaney Mullinabreena are playing Calry in Tubbercurry on Sunday. That's having already played Drumcliffe in Curry and Coolera in Bunninadden. Might as well have played the three in Achonry.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 39 - 06/09/2019 13:04:54    2233281

Link

Group of of the Senior Championship is more or less done and dusted. The winner's, runner up and relegation finalist are already decided so it's only third and fourth spot that has to be decided and that's between Mary's and Gaels. Group 2 is a small bit more interesting. Calry have been the best team so far and they play Coolaney who haven't set the world alight so far with the winner taking top Drumcliffe are also through but they will be anxious to beat Coolera, so that they avoid a quarter final against Tourlestrane Plus if they lose they will be heading into a quarter final with 3 losses in a row which won't help their confidence against the might of Tourlestrane. Coolera started the campaign in emphatic fashion but are now struggling. Murphy may not start. Banks is playing well. Laffey lost in half forwards. Then you have a few touching 40 on the team so it could be an interesting game.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 643 - 07/09/2019 10:26:07    2233415

Link

No great surprises the weekend. Marys with the pick of the results. Impressive scoreline against a good team. Interesting to see what Shamrock Gaels are made of and whether they can recover for the Quarter finals. Haven't had it all their own way in the last 7 or 8 weeks.
Calry kept unbeaten run going and the tie with Shams should be a good one. Marys and Cool/Mull will be a tight one as well I'd think.
Coolera held on to get themselves in a QF and will be delighted to have avoided Tour in QF. However, hard to see them ot DRP having much of a chance against either Tour or Tubber. Neither have set the world alight this year.
Harps will be disappointed to be in a relegation final but you'd have to think they will have enough to survive against a Molaise Gaels team who seem to have capitulated.

In intermediate, Curry gave castleconnor a trimming. Wasn't at it, but talking to a person who was, Curry apparently with full compliment looked formidable and have to be seen as favorites for the title now. The bunnies will probably like it that way though and their win should give them a lift and an outside chance.
Castleconnor struggling conceding a huge amount and clearly have a lot of defensive issues. Geevagh will pose a big threat again in the QF when Hughes, Sweeney, Reilly and the rest are inside that 45.
Farnans getting it together and unsurprisingly dispatched Ballymote. Hard not to fancy them against Johns with everyone back.
The toughest game to call may well be Easkey and Enniscrone. Not surprised Enniscrone lost to Bunninadden who needed the points. Could be just the game they needed to refocus ahead of their biggest game of the year. Easkey will want to show they have more than they had a few weeks ago against Castleconnor though will have no game for 5 weeks when they eventually play their qf.

Again, highlights an issue with the group of 5.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 63 - 09/09/2019 12:27:31    2233815

Link

Enniscrone havent beatin easky n 30 years n championship, and the way they played against very poor teams n there group,that wont change ,they l get beatin by 7-8 pionts

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 89 - 10/09/2019 21:00:44    2234211

Link

Semi finals have now also been decided. In both senior and intermediate, the winners of QF 1 will play the winners of QF 4 and the winners of QF 2 will play the winners of QF 3.
My predictions are:

SENIOR
QF 1 - Tourlestrane V Drumcliffe (Tourlestrane)
QF 2 - Tubbercurry v Coolera Strandhill (Tubbercurry)
QF 3 - St. Marys v Coolaney/Mullinabreena (St. Marys)
QF 4 - Shamrock Gaels v Calry (Calry)

SF 1 - Tourlestrane v Calry (Tourlestrane)
SF 2 - Tubbercurry v St. Marys (Tubbercurry)

Final - Tourlestrane v Tubbercurry (Tourlestrane)

INTERMEDIATE
QF 1 - Curry v Buninadden (Curry)
QF 2 - St. Farnans v St. Johns (St. Farnans)
QF 3 - Castleconnor v Geevagh (Geevagh)
QF 4 - Easkey v Enniscrone (Easkey)

SF 1 - Curry v Easkey (Curry)
SF 2 - St. Farnans v Geevagh (Geevagh)

Final - Curry v Geevagh (Curry)

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 63 - 19/09/2019 08:43:29    2237448

Link