Sligo Forum

League 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

With the leagues getting underway this weekend who do we think will manage to beat relegation with I think three sides going down from Division One and Division Two. Looking ahead to the games at the weekend

Division 1
St Mary's v St Molaise Gaels - St Molaise I think should take this one,I think Mary's are slow to start and that's why the Grange outfit will edge it, that's if it goes ahead, this game has been forfeited the last two years.
Eastern Harps v Shamrock Gaels - Shamrock Gaels to also win, a young side with plenty of pace that will cause Harps problems
Curry v Coolaney / Mullinabreena - With Red Og gone, Curry will be missing a key part of their forward line, Coolaney will just edge this one, but only just.
Coolera-Strandhill v Castleconnor - Coolera to take this one, stronger panel and will be looking to build after their championship exploits last season

Division 2
St John's v St Patrick's - Johns should win comfortably, they are notoriously slow starters but should have enough to get over a Pat's side that struggled last year
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v St Farnan's - DRP after coming down from D1 should be looking to head straight back up and should have enough to get over Farnans
Geevagh v Enniscrone/Kilglass - Close one but Geevagh should edge it, even though I would not be surprised if Enniscrone get the win
Bunninadden v Owenmore Gaels - Bunninadden struggled last year and with Vinnie Frizzell gone they may lack forwards. Home advantage may see them through against Owenmore though who have a young team.
Calry/St Joseph's v Easkey - With Easkey having lost a number of players in the last couple of weeks they will struggle, Calry to win comfortably.

keyboardwarrior18 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 27/03/2019 11:12:53    2175771

Link

Replying To keyboardwarrior18:  "With the leagues getting underway this weekend who do we think will manage to beat relegation with I think three sides going down from Division One and Division Two. Looking ahead to the games at the weekend

Division 1
St Mary's v St Molaise Gaels - St Molaise I think should take this one,I think Mary's are slow to start and that's why the Grange outfit will edge it, that's if it goes ahead, this game has been forfeited the last two years.
Eastern Harps v Shamrock Gaels - Shamrock Gaels to also win, a young side with plenty of pace that will cause Harps problems
Curry v Coolaney / Mullinabreena - With Red Og gone, Curry will be missing a key part of their forward line, Coolaney will just edge this one, but only just.
Coolera-Strandhill v Castleconnor - Coolera to take this one, stronger panel and will be looking to build after their championship exploits last season

Division 2
St John's v St Patrick's - Johns should win comfortably, they are notoriously slow starters but should have enough to get over a Pat's side that struggled last year
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v St Farnan's - DRP after coming down from D1 should be looking to head straight back up and should have enough to get over Farnans
Geevagh v Enniscrone/Kilglass - Close one but Geevagh should edge it, even though I would not be surprised if Enniscrone get the win
Bunninadden v Owenmore Gaels - Bunninadden struggled last year and with Vinnie Frizzell gone they may lack forwards. Home advantage may see them through against Owenmore though who have a young team.
Calry/St Joseph's v Easkey - With Easkey having lost a number of players in the last couple of weeks they will struggle, Calry to win comfortably."
Think there is only 2 team's going down this year. One team comes up, same again next year.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 623 - 27/03/2019 11:52:35    2175781

Link

Replying To keyboardwarrior18:  "With the leagues getting underway this weekend who do we think will manage to beat relegation with I think three sides going down from Division One and Division Two. Looking ahead to the games at the weekend

Division 1

Division 2
Calry/St Joseph's v Easkey - With Easkey having lost a number of players in the last couple of weeks they will struggle, Calry to win comfortably."
It's two down from Div 1 and three from Div 2 for the next two years.
This will leave 9 teams in Div 1 and 9 in div 2 in 2020.
8 teams in div 1 in 2021 and 8 in div 2 in 2021.

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 112 - 27/03/2019 12:01:40    2175784

Link

Division 1

Division 2
What about Tour and Tubber?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 51 - 27/03/2019 16:52:34    2175852

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "What about Tour and Tubber?"
Tour to win this one, hard to know where Tubber are but Tour will have systems in place from previous years. Tuber may struggle, Tour by 4-5 points.

keyboardwarrior18 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 28/03/2019 10:38:15    2175980

Link

Division 1

Division 2
Good that the league's are getting going again and shift a small bit of attention away from a terrible county league campaign. Top 2 divisions will be interesting with more teams relegated:
Div 1: St Mary's v St Molaise- Mary's have lost a few players again this year and I think Molaise are going the opposite direction. Molaise to win by 4-6
Eastern Harps v Shamrock Gaels: Agree with keyboardwarrior. Gaels a good young side with lots of pace might be enough to win a tight game.
C/M v Curry: After a reasonably good year last year I expect C/M to push on again starting with a 5 point win
Coolera/Strandhill v Castleconnor: Judging by the result Castleconnor had last week I can only assume they aren't in great shape. Coolera with a comfortable win
Tourlestrane v Tubber: Always hard to know with Tubber how they will go. I give them a chance in this one as Tourlestrane will surely by timing a run to have a good go at connacht this year. A draw or 1 point either way
Div 2:
St John's v Pats: Even though John's are usually poor at this time of year I think Pats will be even poorer.
Drumcliffe v Farnans: this one depends on player availability but I will go for Farnans in a small shock
Bunninadden v Owenmore Gaels: As I understand it Owenmore have a good young side but you would have to fancy the physical strength of the bunnies and home advantage to see them win by 3
Calry v Easkey: Similar to a few teams it's not easy to know where Calry are until June time and easkey should have high fitness levels as they only finished last season recently. I'll go for an easkey win.
Geevagh v Enniscrone: Too close to call. Maybe a draw.

Hardtoknowjoe (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 28/03/2019 11:44:22    2175993

Link

Great start to Division 3 I see. Molaise giving a walkover in the first round!

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 194 - 30/03/2019 20:13:45    2176464

Link

Mary's v St Molaise Gaels - St Molaise In good nick at this stage of year and can sneak this one
Eastern Harps v Shamrock Gaels - Harps can edge this at home under good manager. Game of the weekend
Curry v Coolaney / Mullinabreena - Coolaney can win cozily here against disorganized home side
Coolera-Strandhill v Castleconnor - Coolera don't have much work done but should have too much

Division 2
St John's v St Patrick's - Pats will fancy this and a win a possibility
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v St Farnan's - farnans with lot of preseason done can get something from this
Geevagh v Enniscrone/Kilglass - Geevagh can win this well against weakened Enniscrone
Bunninadden v Owenmore Gaels. Gaels for a mini shock here against Frizzell-less home side
Calry/St Joseph's v Easkey - Calry comfortably against weakened Easkey

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 30/03/2019 23:56:21    2176549

Link

What is the verdict after this weekends games? Wasn't at any myself but a few results surprised me. Thought coolera would have disposed of castleconnor a lot easier. Similar with coolaney, interested to see how they get on this year im sure they will target the league as they usually do. No surprises with Molaise and shamrock gaels, although I thought they would both have won by more. Did division 2 see any surprise results?

TheWildWest (Sligo) - Posts: 3 - 01/04/2019 16:36:56    2177036

Link

With regards clubs from the west, Easkey might have felt they pulled off the result of the weekend beating Calry away which puts an immediate dent in their promotion hopes. St. Pats though matched or maybe bettered it with a terrific win in Carraroe. Early days but certainly promising results for both sides in games you'd expect the home side to win.
Thought Farnans under the guidance of Young might run DRP a bit closer and Enniscrone will be disappointed to take an early hiding on the back of last years progress.
In Div 1, by all accounts Castleconnor gave Coolera a serious run for their money but you'd feel have it all to do to survive at that level.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 51 - 04/04/2019 10:00:59    2177632

Link