Sligo Forum

Sligo 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "How many years will we go on with the same?
Though to be fair, I wouldn't necessarily point the finger at him the last two games. Ease of allowing turnovers and our defensive shape was disgraceful. Management have to take some flak for that.

I agree with it being a year with a large turnover of new blood but that's no excuse for being mauled in games and dropping out of the division after 5 games. I said after the first round that I'd get over relegation if we were growing to something long term and went down fighting. At the moment that's hard to see. An U-20 setup that's just started (why did this take so long to setup) and many of our young players not in with the county. It's really unfortunate that it has come to this"
U20s were not allowed come together till march 1st. County board wouldn't ratify a manager till the February meeting. Cummins was begged to take it again even though he didn't want it.
Clubs aren't letting some players go in to the set up now. The whole county is a mess.

Peter Greene was brought in years ago to sort out the financial mess. It's time a Director of Football was brought in to sort this mess.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 174 - 04/03/2019 13:56:12    2170115

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "U20s were not allowed come together till march 1st. County board wouldn't ratify a manager till the February meeting. Cummins was begged to take it again even though he didn't want it.
Clubs aren't letting some players go in to the set up now. The whole county is a mess.

Peter Greene was brought in years ago to sort out the financial mess. It's time a Director of Football was brought in to sort this mess."
"The whole county is a mess". I couldn't agree more and who is to blame? The answer , the leadership from CB.
This day has been on the horizon for a good few years and was only averted by good fortune and some wrangling on the last day of the leagues for the past 3 years. Taylor's handling of Towey is a disgrace and only highlights the closed mind mentality of all who are governing Sligo football affairs currently.
We have the same resources as Monaghan and less than Leitrim or Fermanagh so I don't want to hear any excuses in that dept.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 193 - 04/03/2019 14:18:09    2170123

Link

Replying To Maggiepie:  ""The whole county is a mess". I couldn't agree more and who is to blame? The answer , the leadership from CB.
This day has been on the horizon for a good few years and was only averted by good fortune and some wrangling on the last day of the leagues for the past 3 years. Taylor's handling of Towey is a disgrace and only highlights the closed mind mentality of all who are governing Sligo football affairs currently.
We have the same resources as Monaghan and less than Leitrim or Fermanagh so I don't want to hear any excuses in that dept."
Handling of towey?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 174 - 04/03/2019 16:23:33    2170169

Link

Replying To Maggiepie:  ""The whole county is a mess". I couldn't agree more and who is to blame? The answer , the leadership from CB.
We have the same resources as Monaghan and less than Leitrim or Fermanagh so I don't want to hear any excuses in that dept."
Agreed. Tired of listening to us crying poor mouth. What happened with Towey?
I think he like plenty others have plenty of potential. Just love to see them get everything they need from management and much more so from the county board.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 27 - 04/03/2019 16:36:55    2170174

Link

Never fail to fail. Never learn from failure. Repeat. Never fail to fail. Never learn from failure. Repeat......

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1454 - 05/03/2019 05:13:01    2170309

Link

The current state of Sligo football must be at the lowest ebb it's ever been . We are the only team in the four divisions without a point . Relegated to Division 4 with two games left . When was the last time we saw Leitrim playing a division above us which will be the case next year ? Our score deficit is deplorable . The calls for a second tier championship because teams will be playing against teams at their own level - haven't taken into account the likes of Sligo getting hammered by everyone except Down so far ! A system was put in place 10/12 years ago in the county to rejuvenate the underage structures and we should be seeing that come to fruition now surely but it's backwards the county is going . The club structures need a drastic overhaul . We never seem to compete at Connacht club level , I would certainly advocate an amalgamation of some clubs like the Kerry system whereby the best players in every club get a chance to play club football at the highest possible level , still allowing them to compete for their local clubs at junior / intermediate also . This would also enhance the county set up with the senior management team getting an opportunity to see all the best players competing at a higher level . A proper divisional round robin system could be introduced either as an an alternative to this amalgamation with the best players in each division playing for their respective areas . People saying we don't have the players at the moment are partially correct but I'd argue why don't we ? The amount of time and money that has been put in place over the last 10-15 years on our underage and grass roots set up should have us being seriously competitive now , not the laughing stock of the country and whipping boys for average teams across the country . Serious questions need to be answered and heads need to roll . The county board and our clubs have pumped millions into an excellent facility in Scarden but let's be honest , it's in the wrong place . Who does it actually suit . Markievicz Park should have been sold during the boom as it can never be developed properly , a proper county pitch and training centre of excellence should be on a greenfield site around Collooney which would suit every area of the county and a proper nodal point for traffic also . Other small counties have punched above their weight with limited resources and numbers . Look at Monaghan , Fermanagh for example and compare our achievements over the past 10 years to theirs ?? Numbers are dwindling going to matches both for club and county , supporters would be hard pressed to know 5 or 6 players now and they used to be able to rhyme them off the tip of their tongue . A serious review is needed in the county with more input from supporters . The county board appears to be a closed shop with decisions being made at the top table with little or no consultation with the clubs . Any decent proposals are regularly shot down and dismissed by the same people in the room the last 20 years . Players around the county need more of a voice , don't be allowing players from 30 years ago make all the decisions around tables in a county forum .Football has changed a lot since then but Sligo unfortunately is lagging way behind the pack with little hope of improvement in the near future .
A disgruntled Sligo fan !

Gaafanfromthewest18 (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 05/03/2019 10:49:54    2170340

Link

Replying To Gaafanfromthewest18:  "The current state of Sligo football must be at the lowest ebb it's ever been . We are the only team in the four divisions without a point . Relegated to Division 4 with two games left . When was the last time we saw Leitrim playing a division above us which will be the case next year ? Our score deficit is deplorable . The calls for a second tier championship because teams will be playing against teams at their own level - haven't taken into account the likes of Sligo getting hammered by everyone except Down so far ! A system was put in place 10/12 years ago in the county to rejuvenate the underage structures and we should be seeing that come to fruition now surely but it's backwards the county is going . The club structures need a drastic overhaul . We never seem to compete at Connacht club level , I would certainly advocate an amalgamation of some clubs like the Kerry system whereby the best players in every club get a chance to play club football at the highest possible level , still allowing them to compete for their local clubs at junior / intermediate also . This would also enhance the county set up with the senior management team getting an opportunity to see all the best players competing at a higher level . A proper divisional round robin system could be introduced either as an an alternative to this amalgamation with the best players in each division playing for their respective areas . People saying we don't have the players at the moment are partially correct but I'd argue why don't we ? The amount of time and money that has been put in place over the last 10-15 years on our underage and grass roots set up should have us being seriously competitive now , not the laughing stock of the country and whipping boys for average teams across the country . Serious questions need to be answered and heads need to roll . The county board and our clubs have pumped millions into an excellent facility in Scarden but let's be honest , it's in the wrong place . Who does it actually suit . Markievicz Park should have been sold during the boom as it can never be developed properly , a proper county pitch and training centre of excellence should be on a greenfield site around Collooney which would suit every area of the county and a proper nodal point for traffic also . Other small counties have punched above their weight with limited resources and numbers . Look at Monaghan , Fermanagh for example and compare our achievements over the past 10 years to theirs ?? Numbers are dwindling going to matches both for club and county , supporters would be hard pressed to know 5 or 6 players now and they used to be able to rhyme them off the tip of their tongue . A serious review is needed in the county with more input from supporters . The county board appears to be a closed shop with decisions being made at the top table with little or no consultation with the clubs . Any decent proposals are regularly shot down and dismissed by the same people in the room the last 20 years . Players around the county need more of a voice , don't be allowing players from 30 years ago make all the decisions around tables in a county forum .Football has changed a lot since then but Sligo unfortunately is lagging way behind the pack with little hope of improvement in the near future .
A disgruntled Sligo fan !"
Agree in full, but why would we copy a county like Kerry in relation to improving the standard of football in Sligo!! What would they know after all they have only 30+ All Ireland's!!!

onthefortyfive (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 05/03/2019 18:36:49    2170453

Link

Replying To onthefortyfive:  "Agree in full, but why would we copy a county like Kerry in relation to improving the standard of football in Sligo!! What would they know after all they have only 30+ All Ireland's!!!"
Yes, I mean why didn't anyone else think of that, copy Kerry and we be winning All Irelands. Fact is many counties have tried and failed, what works in Kerry hasn't worked anywhere else

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 323 - 06/03/2019 09:27:41    2170553

Link

Replying To muscles:  "Yes, I mean why didn't anyone else think of that, copy Kerry and we be winning All Irelands. Fact is many counties have tried and failed, what works in Kerry hasn't worked anywhere else"
This poster may just have saved Sligo football. Copy Kerry... genius

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 247 - 06/03/2019 14:49:08    2170649

Link

Best of luck Sligo against Offaly. Do us a favour please. No reason you can't win that game on home soil.

Offaly were beaten by Down by 8 points
Sligo had Down almost beaten only for that late late goal on full time whistle

Up Sligo ....from all your friends in Carlow.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 222 - 19/03/2019 13:20:16    2173688

Link

Replying To novalis:  "Best of luck Sligo against Offaly. Do us a favour please. No reason you can't win that game on home soil.

Offaly were beaten by Down by 8 points
Sligo had Down almost beaten only for that late late goal on full time whistle

Up Sligo ....from all your friends in Carlow."
Well I was going to advocate that we win, but now I'm not so sure. Remember you beat us and that was humiliating. Sligo being beaten by Carlow, something wrong there surely. Is your county not happy to be doing so well in hurling ? For a teeny weeny county ,what do you want football for at all! Be like Kilkenny and throw all the size 6 O'Neill's into the Nore or Barrow which ever is the nearest and give a real football county like Sligo a chance. Meanwhile best of luck in the championship this year.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 193 - 20/03/2019 20:03:46    2174034

Link

Positive performance today! At least there is a bit of progression. Cummins done well today, good to see younger lads stepping up to the mark. Disappointing to see Towey heading to Oz. Anyway, hopefully all goes well and we can prepare a game plan for Galway.

SligoGaa12 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 24/03/2019 15:48:01    2174721

Link

How long is it since we lost all our league games?
This must be some sort of unwanted record.
Galway will absolutely demolish us in the championship and I fear for us in our one qualifier match.
I predict that our record in competitive matches this season will be 0/10.

SligoCody (Sligo) - Posts: 70 - 24/03/2019 19:01:32    2174867

Link

Embarrassing beyond belief the only team in the country to have 0 points. Clealry lacking a game plan or any cohesion, players being chopped and changed, not being given a chance to gel. Management look clueless. We all knew this was a costing cutting appointment but it has come at a very expensive price, this season could knock us back for years, some good players coming true but haven't been given the correct platform to flourish and settle into the team. Taylor has to be let go before Galway, give another man a chance to put a proper plan in place for it and the qualifiers and can plan for next season. On and off the field problems for the CB at the moment

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 173 - 24/03/2019 19:27:02    2174887

Link

Embarrassment is the only way to describe the current state of our senior team what's even more worrying is the acceptance that this is our lot. Nonsense like "Its a learning experience" or "you have to step back to step forward"!! It's like listening to Donald Trump.

onthefortyfive (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 24/03/2019 22:11:28    2175013

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Embarrassing beyond belief the only team in the country to have 0 points. Clealry lacking a game plan or any cohesion, players being chopped and changed, not being given a chance to gel. Management look clueless. We all knew this was a costing cutting appointment but it has come at a very expensive price, this season could knock us back for years, some good players coming true but haven't been given the correct platform to flourish and settle into the team. Taylor has to be let go before Galway, give another man a chance to put a proper plan in place for it and the qualifiers and can plan for next season. On and off the field problems for the CB at the moment"
On what grounds did he get the job anyway?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 27 - 25/03/2019 08:41:22    2175116

Link

Its beyond a joke. Nice fellow that Paul is, but he nowhere near being a Senior County Manager and should really have soldiered in the trenches of club football first as opposed to stepping up. Maybe he felt he was doing the best thing for Sligo when he was begged too take up the position.
In the Championship the reality is we are facing a similar onslaught that was dished out to us in Salthill last year and unless we draw Waterford or such like in the Championship well we will have plenty of time to save the hay and attend the bog.
Yesterday, one wonders what the Selectors and mentors see at games, we have a a number of players in the full back line and the half forward line who would not make a decent senior team and yet remained there (until they got injured) and a midfield that wasn't anywhere near at the races. Allied to this we were slow and laborious at getting the ball forward and in the second half forgot we had the wind, elected to play our best high fielder (P Hughes) anywhere but the full forward line where he should have being and us reining high balls into him.

Time to forget 2019 and see out the championship and put in place a new Manager/selectors during the summer where they can attend games and attempt to produce a panel.

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 13 - 25/03/2019 10:00:58    2175156

Link

I think we all knew from the beginning that it would take a miracle to avoid Div 4. Some poster pointed out that we need to appoint a director of football and I agree.i I keep saying that we haven't the players and until we sort out underage div 4 is where we will stay. Look at all the amalgamations at minor level. This will further reduce the player base we have . Gaelic footballer starts at the end of March and is over in September and you can take a month out of it for state exams. U.12 starts in April and finishes in July. This year the U.14 league which hasn't started yet was going to have an A league with only 4 games before playoffs. I am not joking. Clubs rightly so f*cked it back to the Co Board. soccer starts in September and runs to April. That's 8 months compared to to the Gaelic season of 4 months, and we play in the summer with long evenings ........Players need football...

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 597 - 25/03/2019 10:52:01    2175187

Link

I think we all knew from the beginning that it would take a miracle to avoid Div 4. Some poster pointed out that we need to appoint a director of football and I agree.i I keep saying that we haven't the players and until we sort out underage div 4 is where we will stay. Look at all the amalgamations at minor level. This will further reduce the player base we have . Gaelic footballer starts at the end of March and is over in September and you can take a month out of it for state exams. U.12 starts in April and finishes in July. This year the U.14 league which hasn't started yet was going to have an A league with only 4 games before playoffs. I am not joking. Clubs rightly so f*cked it back to the Co Board. soccer starts in September and runs to April. That's 8 months compared to to the Gaelic season of 4 months, and we play in the summer with long evenings ........Players need football...

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 597 - 25/03/2019 11:18:44    2175201

Link