Sligo Forum

Sligo 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Sligonian:  "The U17s who had a pretty successful Ulster league have lost to Galway in Tuam 0-15 to 1-10.

Galway down to 14 men for most the second half with the sides level at the time. Sligo missed easy chances early on by all accounts and dominated for long periods. Very disappointing but the manner of the defeat not surprising.

This results means we have to beat Roscommon and Leitrim to have any chance to get to the semis. Mayo hammered Roscommon 4-14 to 5 pts. Roscommon beat Galway last week.

Sligo play Mayo next week at home."
You're commenting on a game you weren't in the country for.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 191 - 24/05/2019 22:04:18    2187208

Link

Its hardly an opinion piece NewSligofan. Only the handful of Sligofans there allowed to comment?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1481 - 25/05/2019 00:27:43    2187226

Link

Hearing various rumours. Anybody know what lads we will lose to the states before the qualifier comes around?

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 109 - 29/05/2019 10:38:13    2188754

Link

Few guys heading but they're waiting until after the rd 2 qualifier. They have until July 1st to register as an away based player. It does ask the question about their state (no pun intended) of mind going into that qualifier game. Word within the panel is pressure has been exerted on them to wait til rd 1 is over and that seems to be what will happen but at least 3 starters heading stateside then regardless of result. Interesting to see who we get. While we'll be the team all counties will hope to get there's quite a few coming out of RD 1 that you would like a rattle at. Home advantage would be huge.

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 29/05/2019 19:36:10    2188948

Link

Replying To tentonne:  "Few guys heading but they're waiting until after the rd 2 qualifier. They have until July 1st to register as an away based player. It does ask the question about their state (no pun intended) of mind going into that qualifier game. Word within the panel is pressure has been exerted on them to wait til rd 1 is over and that seems to be what will happen but at least 3 starters heading stateside then regardless of result. Interesting to see who we get. While we'll be the team all counties will hope to get there's quite a few coming out of RD 1 that you would like a rattle at. Home advantage would be huge."
Did the GAA not change the rules on intercounty players heading out to US? I think they have to wait until your county is fully knocked out of championship

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 331 - 30/05/2019 11:32:56    2189057

Link

Replying To muscles:  "Did the GAA not change the rules on intercounty players heading out to US? I think they have to wait until your county is fully knocked out of championship"
No player going anywhere until Sligo are out. Rumours going around are wide of the mark. Gaughan left early and Cawley not playing this year for precisely that reason I heard.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 41 - 30/05/2019 12:51:37    2189082

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "The U17s who had a pretty successful Ulster league have lost to Galway in Tuam 0-15 to 1-10.

Galway down to 14 men for most the second half with the sides level at the time. Sligo missed easy chances early on by all accounts and dominated for long periods. Very disappointing but the manner of the defeat not surprising.

This results means we have to beat Roscommon and Leitrim to have any chance to get to the semis. Mayo hammered Roscommon 4-14 to 5 pts. Roscommon beat Galway last week.

Sligo play Mayo next week at home."
I woue know what you meant by the manner of u17s defeat to Galway as not surprising?

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 331 - 31/05/2019 20:55:39    2189495

Link

Massive Win for Sligo GAA, U17s Sligo 0-16 Mayo 0-12, after seeing how Mayo destroyed Roscommon they seriously impressed me, Mayo went 7-1 up in the 1st half but our lads fought back to leave it 8-7 at HT. Congrats to all involved, now we need to show consistency. Grouping is wide open 4 horse race now. Best twitter updates I've seen in along time from Sligo GAA.

Have to push on now. Huge boost to belief but keep the feet on the ground. Set your own standard. A lot of work has gone into this team, well organised and very promising for the year and future ahead.

Roscommon hammered Leitrim in tonights other game.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1481 - 31/05/2019 21:01:47    2189497

Link

Replying To muscles:  "I woue know what you meant by the manner of u17s defeat to Galway as not surprising?"
I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I meant.;)

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1481 - 31/05/2019 21:31:24    2189506

Link

2 starters going to Boston & 1 to Chicago in days after rd 2 qualifier regardless of result. Student visa holders are allowed play.

Rule regarding students on county panels
- A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a) for a game in the current year's Championship shall not be eligible to be accepted for Registration as a member of any Club in the North American County Board Jurisdiction.

Exception - A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a), for a game in the current year's Championship, who holds a valid current J1 Visa or who is eligible for a J1 Visa and who obtains an Official J1 Sanction may be accepted for registration.

Great result for minors against a Mayo side mentioned for all Ireland honours. Be mighty to see a title at this grade

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 56 - 01/06/2019 01:38:12    2189549

Link

Replying To tentonne:  "2 starters going to Boston & 1 to Chicago in days after rd 2 qualifier regardless of result. Student visa holders are allowed play.

Rule regarding students on county panels
- A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a) for a game in the current year's Championship shall not be eligible to be accepted for Registration as a member of any Club in the North American County Board Jurisdiction.

Exception - A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a), for a game in the current year's Championship, who holds a valid current J1 Visa or who is eligible for a J1 Visa and who obtains an Official J1 Sanction may be accepted for registration.

Great result for minors against a Mayo side mentioned for all Ireland honours. Be mighty to see a title at this grade"
The full rule clearly states

Such a player may only have his J1 Sanction approved once his team have been eliminated from the Senior Inter-County Championship (including All-Ireland qualifier games).

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 331 - 03/06/2019 03:22:29    2190055

Link

Offaly away fixed for Sunday, unlike last year our dual stars wont have play twice in 1 day. This is progression from our County Board imo, credit where its due.

Bigger tests ahead though for the CB depending on the result of this one. For me its a must win for Taylor.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1481 - 11/06/2019 22:20:24    2193721

Link

Considering players want to lose to get away for the summer,(I presume offaly in the same boat)there is no point in these qualifiers anymore (or going on a run ) the very max is getting near to the super 8s and get hammered in them like teams were last year ,,,

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 72 - 12/06/2019 06:38:27    2193781

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Offaly away fixed for Sunday, unlike last year our dual stars wont have play twice in 1 day. This is progression from our County Board imo, credit where its due.

Bigger tests ahead though for the CB depending on the result of this one. For me its a must win for Taylor."
Agreed. I hope they don't go out with a whimper which would suggest they'd be happy enough for this to be over. Here's hoping for a decent run in the next few weeks.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 41 - 12/06/2019 09:30:41    2193816

Link

They bet Limerick last night in a game. Great boost for the qualifiers.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 191 - 12/06/2019 11:38:39    2193866

Link

Big weekend of action for the county coming up. Minor team doing very well with good management team that seems to be able to keep the lads motivated.

Hurlers put in a great year and some achievement to be back in Croke Park 12 months later.

So I suppose it's not all bad news.

As for Sunday well what can anyone say. Should it be a loss as the bookies expect I hope Taylor has the decency to call it a day on his disasterous few months as manager. Even a win is only prolonging the inevitable question that either he or the County Board have to ask.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 7 - 21/06/2019 09:04:02    2198210

Link

The issue I have with Taylor is can he improve and develop these young players, so far the answer is no. Alot of people making excuses for him. One thing is for sure the CB won't do anything. Taylor is not experienced, I'm sure he's doing his best and working hard but I don't hear great things about his management competency. Take away the disastrous results and performances has he the managerial skills to push these young players on. They are getting experience and exposure but are they improving, are learning the right lessons. Its a negative showing so far on the field which could create negative beliefs. Offaly are no world beaters, even with a young team we should be capable of beating them. For some a performance will do, for others none of it matters. I don't believe beating Offaly is unrealistic. Alot is riding on this match in terms of Taylors future with the Seniors. Best of luck.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1481 - 22/06/2019 07:39:41    2198489

Link

Taylor Resign please, your not the source of our issues but you are a symptom of the choices of an incompetent county board.

Given the results which show to me a lack of learning or progress, conceding 3-17 today to Offaly, not a div2 side, a side that's struggled to stay in div 3 is unacceptable.

The worst year in a long time if ever for our Seniors. We are in danger of throwing away all the good work at underage if Taylor stays.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1481 - 23/06/2019 15:50:51    2199006

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Taylor Resign please, your not the source of our issues but you are a symptom of the choices of an incompetent county board.

Given the results which show to me a lack of learning or progress, conceding 3-17 today to Offaly, not a div2 side, a side that's struggled to stay in div 3 is unacceptable.

The worst year in a long time if ever for our Seniors. We are in danger of throwing away all the good work at underage if Taylor stays."
Judging by his interview with Ocean FM he's in no rush out the door. This man I'm afraid is better cut out for politics than football with him trying to flog the same story again as he was all year. Saying they're doing all the right things, working hard, young team etc. If he were getting the most out of them Sligo wouldn't have the results they had all year. Time to see how strong the new chairman is because we got rid out outside managers for far better outcomes.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 7 - 24/06/2019 09:48:21    2199651

Link

Surely yee will get rid of Taylor after that year. Malachy O Rourke is now available he's the type of manager yee should try and get in to work with the younger players. I'd also say Fergal O Donnell as he knows Connacht football and is a great manager with young teams. It's an ideal job for someone playing Div 4 you can start from scratch and Bulld a team over a few seasons. Sligo aren't a bad team and have good underage structures so it's not the end only the beginning. Look at what terry hyland has done with leitrim getting us promted with a very young team he will hopefully make us compitive again in the next couple of years.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 135 - 24/06/2019 14:06:13    2199929

Link