Sligo Forum

U17s

(Oldest Posts First)

Can't beleive the u17s season hasn't been mentioned here yet. Two heavy defeats to Galway and Mayo. I attended both these games. I came home disgusted. Our system of play has been outdated for 10 years. Couldn't make the Leitrim game due to a wedding. I last seen a update on twitter seeing we were 10-4 up. Next time I checked I was shocked to see we lost. Too make things worse I heard the MANAGER and his son (a class act) missed the game due to HOLIDAYS. Like come on now how is this allowed to happen?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 194 - 04/07/2018 12:33:04    2118423

Link

Didn't hear anything about the manager and his son but I did hear players were dropped for the Mayo match as they had attended Sea Sessions after they were told not to.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 625 - 04/07/2018 13:08:36    2118439

Link

Yes this is also true. I think one of these lads came on against Leitrim ( I could be wrong as I'm going with the report in the champion, which is wrong 95% of the time). It's a shambles though. Our Games Manager is heavily involved in this team. He is getting a free ride in this county imo.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 194 - 04/07/2018 13:33:38    2118454

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "Yes this is also true. I think one of these lads came on against Leitrim ( I could be wrong as I'm going with the report in the champion, which is wrong 95% of the time). It's a shambles though. Our Games Manager is heavily involved in this team. He is getting a free ride in this county imo."
Could not agree more about the games manager. Seems its a job for life. No accountability to anyone

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 625 - 04/07/2018 14:33:31    2118489

Link

Obviously I was not at the game but the Twitter feed had us 10-4 up and 11-6 up at HT, then we were 13-10 up with 6 mins left but think there was alot of injury time, only to lose 2-14 to 13, that's 2-8 to 2pt 2nd half to Leitrim who have themselves being well beaten in all other games, remember also this game was in Markievicz, unacceptable, I was told next year we will see the best of this group, how many are underage again?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1482 - 04/07/2018 15:23:53    2118515

Link

Am I missing something or why is there absolutely no correlation between our relative success at secondary schools level and our underage county teams (especially this new U17 competition). It looks like we're going to lose all the U17 matches comprehensively. Ironically our performances at all inter-county levels seems to have plummeted since the opening of the Center of Excellence.

SligoCody (Sligo) - Posts: 71 - 04/07/2018 18:02:32    2118577

Link

I don't blame the players. I believe we have a panel to be competitive. Time and time again the wrong people are getting control of the teams.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 194 - 04/07/2018 21:51:47    2118656

Link

NewSligoFan - what kind of system are the management employing?

I don't think you can exonerate the 4 lads that went to Sea Sessions. Why bother committing if you want if you attend festivals. Cant be a happy camp.

On the manager going on holidays, stupid decision and may impact on him being kept on, I watched the u15 matches on youtube last yr and they look very strong so we will hopefully it will transfer into next year.

Sligocody, your right the centre of excellence wont in itself guarantee future success and unless we improve our coaching and mentality, but there is hope outside of all our limitations in that some players are self made too so I hope there's more than few out practising fanatically.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1482 - 05/07/2018 03:47:35    2118712

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "I don't blame the players. I believe we have a panel to be competitive. Time and time again the wrong people are getting control of the teams."
I mean I don't blame the panel of players. I'd run the lads who went to sea sessions.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 194 - 05/07/2018 11:53:07    2118784

Link

100% record for these lads at u.17. They lost all the game's. Actually got hammered in them.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 625 - 07/07/2018 10:34:14    2119300

Link

Roscommon 5-18 Sligo 1-13, again collapsed 2nd half, 3-8 to 3 pts, is fitness a issue, lads I'm sure some of ye are involved in Sligo, are ye coaching how to stop conceding Goals, seniors conceding 4-24, u20s conceding 3-10, u17s conceded a whopping 12 goals in 4 matches, or 19 goals in 6 matches

For anyone interested Roscommon GAA twitter have a video of the 5th goal, I know game was over and workrate would of dropped etc, but its shows 9 Sligo players back 7 Roscommon players and they waltz through the centre of our defence untouched back of the net with 1 runner from deep creating the space. 2 things I've seen alot from Sligo when defending is the all or nothing approach, its fear based, defenders momentum running past attacker letting him in goal side is something I hate to see and using arms to stop momentum, do we teach our defenders to use whole body, do we teach that its not always about dispossessing or about getting the ball first, mostly its about slowing momentum of runners and smothering until the ball pops outs or pushing out etc.., tracking runners seems to be an issue too which is lack of concentration and sometimes fitness, our collapses in 2nd halfs with u17s indicates fitness issue amongst many other.

When the opposition player has the run on you, and your side by side I know you got to use the near arm to tackle but you got to cut across his line to try slow them down. Maybe pace to stay with them a issue aswell as strength.

For me I have yet to see a Sligo team demonstrate any positive understanding of the blanket defence, 9 players inside our 45 and not a finger laid on, I find some players like to hide in the crowd, avoid fear of exposure, marking space but not influencing or unified in our defending. The men marking players got to slow them down and the spare players marking space got to see this and smother not sit back. Got to be proactive imposing your will, not letting the guys run from deep even without the ball in that video we could of blocked his run legally and tracked, he gives the assist but we could of affected his positioning and speed. Also one our guys defending turns his back on the attacker with the ball when facing him up which isn't a good habit. For me the u17s, u20s, and seniors have had enough coaching where this should not be happening to the extent it is so for me there something wrong with coaching too.

We need some ruthless honesty something I always found lacking in Sligo and just enables our losing mentality. But now we are starting to become whipping boys again in Connacht and its unacceptable with the recent schools success and if we are honest it was 1 Connacht A title good return when it should of been a few more and maybe at least an All Ireland A final.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1482 - 07/07/2018 19:07:34    2119402

Link

Are we the Connacht U17 B Champions by default, seeing as Mayo and Leitrim dropped out? :)

SligoCody (Sligo) - Posts: 71 - 10/07/2018 17:10:12    2120462

Link