Mayo Forum

Big changes Mayo require to bring Sam Home?

(Oldest Posts First)

From overseas i would like to know to know what Mayo followers believe the big changes that are required from the Mayo camp to finally bring Sam home? Thanks

Panunipa (Mayo) - Posts: 103 - 07/01/2017 23:32:01    1943884

Link

Score 1 point more than the opposition in the final

mayo.mick (Mayo) - Posts: 585 - 08/01/2017 00:58:43    1943887

Link

Another break or two. A ref who knows the difference between the cards he has in his pocket and who won't cave in to outside pressure. ALL players sticking to the game plan as set down by managers and coaches - no kitchen table alternatives. Beating Kerry before the final and hoping Tyrone or Donegal do the same to the Dubs. One of the forwards to make himself a player of the year contender. Small things really!

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2014 - 08/01/2017 10:16:23    1943904

Link

Manager has to have the balls to remove players that are causing problems in the camp, when you lose a section of the stands because the supporters know who is taking the mick and shouldn't be on the pitch but the manger doesn't drop him or them then you are going nowhere, as I often said 1 of our best known players hasn't played a decent game since 2013 against Donegal, that's 3 seasons ago and still he's starting every game and playing average to poor

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 08/01/2017 14:21:05    1943933

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Manager has to have the balls to remove players that are causing problems in the camp, when you lose a section of the stands because the supporters know who is taking the mick and shouldn't be on the pitch but the manger doesn't drop him or them then you are going nowhere, as I often said 1 of our best known players hasn't played a decent game since 2013 against Donegal, that's 3 seasons ago and still he's starting every game and playing average to poor"
riverboys. Manager can remove all the players he wants, but removing even one will almost certainly reduce whatever chance is left of the ultimate goal.. He is in a no win position. He will stick to the panel and is in a strong position now to play who he wants without having to take any guff....

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 414 - 08/01/2017 17:23:51    1944022

Link

What is needed is a managerial team that won't let certain players take the Michael! That and for us either to unearth a quality scoring forward or for one of the Hanleys to return (looks Ike it will be the younger one if it happens).

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1690 - 08/01/2017 17:29:15    1944025

Link

A few years ago Pete McGrath said in an interview that good managers concentrate on building the average up to a decent player, it is he who goes to every training session, he who will do what he is told, he who will give his all from the first whistle to the last. He added 'the star player or players will turn up for training when they want to', they won't do what they are told because they have this opinion of they won't win without me, they who don't give a sh#t during matches I don't know if i'll bother trying in todays match. If you allow the big heads to rule the roost within a camp then they will cause carnage, we've seen it with plenty of clubs, you can't allow that to happen at county level, who will hold those players to account, as always it will have to be the supporters

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 08/01/2017 21:48:08    1944137

Link

Improve the current set of forwards and midfield at a similar or greater rate than Rochford and McEntee improved the defence in 2016. Try out some fresh faces in FBD, League and challenge games and put them in the championship squad if they're good enough. Don't play players who aren't in form even if they're high profile, or not fully recovered from injury. Dropping a player who's off form will sort out the men from the boys. He'll either keep the head down and work harder to get the jersey back like Andy Moran.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 5498 - 17/01/2017 15:52:58    1946370

Link

Stop playing Hennelley in goal. Once a dodgy keeper always a dodgy keeper. Says who? No less than a great professional manager Alex Ferguson.
The goalie cost us an All Ireland ,end of.Who fears to speak of the the loss to a very average Galway team in Connacht,and recall Hennelleys role in that debacle?

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2225 - 24/01/2017 12:30:55    1948383

Link

Replying To Brinsley Swartz:  "Stop playing Hennelley in goal. Once a dodgy keeper always a dodgy keeper. Says who? No less than a great professional manager Alex Ferguson.
The goalie cost us an All Ireland ,end of.Who fears to speak of the the loss to a very average Galway team in Connacht,and recall Hennelleys role in that debacle?"
Agreed. I don't want to slate Hennelly as he seems like an honest lad, but there have been too many costly errors from him on big days. Clarke to start with Matthew Flanagan as understudy, please.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1690 - 24/01/2017 14:33:53    1948427

Link