Mayo Forum

Changes for Replay

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To 1951andwaiting:  "When i say he did well at FB, it was as well as anyone else would have done, he was there to stop the aerial threat and did that, but Donaghy cleaned up on lower ball instead. We need him in the forwards full stop, Rockford has to have a bit of faith in his 6 starting defenders plus Durcan & Cafferkey, it will not be the players that will lose it but decisions on the line I'm afraid"
maybe Mayo should take a leaf out of Tyrone,s book, when, in 2008 they used their goalie, Pascal mc Connell, to help their full back to out field and out muscle Donaghy. Far as I remember the Gooch also suffered from that combination ! Mayo also have a very big goalie so high balls or "anything else" landing in and around the square should be his.
Best of luck on Sat.

expat345 (Monaghan) - Posts: 26 - 23/08/2017 22:00:45    2036949

Link

There has been considerable criticism on this forum, and other media about the selection of AOS on KD. As far as Im concerned this decision for the most part worked as intended. KD is renowned for gaining possession from the high ball into the danger area and quick feed to either PG or JOD for a goal. This is how Kerry beat us and other teams in the past a quick flurry of goals and the game is beyond reach after 20 mins. AOS's presence ensured they could not implement this tactic. The one high ball they did play in AOS won it. Sure KD gained a considerable amount of possession out the field but remember Kerry only scored 8 points from play and KD scored a solitary one! Mayo's opposite number AM scored 1-5. Kerry were kept in this game due to self inflicted wounds of soft turnovers, needless frees and poor shot selection at the end. If ever we needed further evidence that AOS deterred the aerial attack this was clearly demonstrated on the one occasion that AOS was out the field following a poor pass by KH. Kerry immediately seized their opportunity with the high ball in to KD. Incidentally he didn't even get a hand to this. One of the Mayo backs unfortunately broke the ball down to the on rushing DM and JB slotted the rebound from a magnificent save by DC. AOS was in no way responsible for either goal as the source the first came from a soft cough up of possession by SOS at midfield and the second emanated from an over cooked pass to AOS from KH. If any disagrees with me I urge you to watch the match back over again. Too many people listening to drivel on the Sunday Game and sloppy journalists with axes to grind. If I was SR I would go with AOS on KD the next day from the start. But thats just my opinion.

murser (Mayo) - Posts: 45 - 23/08/2017 22:43:56    2036964

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Coen? Be better putting in a statue, better chance of marking Donaghy"
He done well on Connolly last year.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10081 - 24/08/2017 09:18:53    2037012

Link

Replying To murser:  "There has been considerable criticism on this forum, and other media about the selection of AOS on KD. As far as Im concerned this decision for the most part worked as intended. KD is renowned for gaining possession from the high ball into the danger area and quick feed to either PG or JOD for a goal. This is how Kerry beat us and other teams in the past a quick flurry of goals and the game is beyond reach after 20 mins. AOS's presence ensured they could not implement this tactic. The one high ball they did play in AOS won it. Sure KD gained a considerable amount of possession out the field but remember Kerry only scored 8 points from play and KD scored a solitary one! Mayo's opposite number AM scored 1-5. Kerry were kept in this game due to self inflicted wounds of soft turnovers, needless frees and poor shot selection at the end. If ever we needed further evidence that AOS deterred the aerial attack this was clearly demonstrated on the one occasion that AOS was out the field following a poor pass by KH. Kerry immediately seized their opportunity with the high ball in to KD. Incidentally he didn't even get a hand to this. One of the Mayo backs unfortunately broke the ball down to the on rushing DM and JB slotted the rebound from a magnificent save by DC. AOS was in no way responsible for either goal as the source the first came from a soft cough up of possession by SOS at midfield and the second emanated from an over cooked pass to AOS from KH. If any disagrees with me I urge you to watch the match back over again. Too many people listening to drivel on the Sunday Game and sloppy journalists with axes to grind. If I was SR I would go with AOS on KD the next day from the start. But thats just my opinion."
100% agree, you just need a bit more cover when Donaghy wanders out the field, or else O'Shea needs to be given license to go out with him, not stand 15 yards off him

Bosco98 (Galway) - Posts: 111 - 24/08/2017 13:38:09    2037156

Link

Replying To murser:  "There has been considerable criticism on this forum, and other media about the selection of AOS on KD. As far as Im concerned this decision for the most part worked as intended. KD is renowned for gaining possession from the high ball into the danger area and quick feed to either PG or JOD for a goal. This is how Kerry beat us and other teams in the past a quick flurry of goals and the game is beyond reach after 20 mins. AOS's presence ensured they could not implement this tactic. The one high ball they did play in AOS won it. Sure KD gained a considerable amount of possession out the field but remember Kerry only scored 8 points from play and KD scored a solitary one! Mayo's opposite number AM scored 1-5. Kerry were kept in this game due to self inflicted wounds of soft turnovers, needless frees and poor shot selection at the end. If ever we needed further evidence that AOS deterred the aerial attack this was clearly demonstrated on the one occasion that AOS was out the field following a poor pass by KH. Kerry immediately seized their opportunity with the high ball in to KD. Incidentally he didn't even get a hand to this. One of the Mayo backs unfortunately broke the ball down to the on rushing DM and JB slotted the rebound from a magnificent save by DC. AOS was in no way responsible for either goal as the source the first came from a soft cough up of possession by SOS at midfield and the second emanated from an over cooked pass to AOS from KH. If any disagrees with me I urge you to watch the match back over again. Too many people listening to drivel on the Sunday Game and sloppy journalists with axes to grind. If I was SR I would go with AOS on KD the next day from the start. But thats just my opinion."
99% correct. I dont feel it was a bad pass from Higgins, O Shea was very static for it coming to him.

But to your main point the purpose of dropping O Shea back worked. No high balls were played into Donnahy.

Now Rochford finds himself in a no win scenario. If he moves O Shea out and he has a great game ppl will be talking about why he was in full back in the first place, If he comes out and the long ball goes in and Donnahy wins it, hes naive for taking him out of there.

juicy (Meath) - Posts: 384 - 24/08/2017 15:52:21    2037224

Link

The criticism for AOS has been absolutely shocking! AOS was in there to do one job and that was a job we didn't do in 06 early enough and that was compete with KD in the air. Kerry launched 2 high balls in on KD and he won 0% (1 went over the endline and the 2nd was won by AOS). After this, Kerry did not play any high balls into Donaghy and forced them into a one dimensional game of low balls. As soon as AOS was out of the square, Kerry pounced on their chance and launched a high ball in which resulted in a goal. I see people saying SOS should mark KD, but one ball went in on top of him and KD and it resulted in a goal so where is the logic there? AOS did his best on the day. Enough with the criticism, ye would be giving out if a high ball went in on top of KD and SOS/DV/GC in the first 5 mins and a goal came out of it!

As for the suggestion for Coen to mark Donaghy: I hope you're joking!

Rockford needs to start bringing on Shane Nally and Conor Loftus earlier and leave Coen and Drake on the sideline when the game is in the melting pot. Loftus and Nally are game winners / changers, Coen and Drake are good to bring on to maintain a lead.

P.S: Sorry for the long post I just have a lot to get off my chest

number_1 (Mayo) - Posts: 59 - 25/08/2017 01:19:19    2037384

Link

I'd be surprised if Aiden O'Shea isn't marking Donaghy for the replay, Rochford should rotate the job with Donie Vaughan, each giving 10-15 mins then switching and switching again, the simple fact is AOS was giving a job to stop Kerry getting high ball into Donaghy, yes the rain changed Kerry's plan but the Mayo plan worked, Kerry didn't pump any high ball into him, was AOS job a man marker on Donaghy or was he picked at fullback, they are 2 different jobs, fullback job is defend the goal at all times, man marker is follow your man around the pitch, if AOS had followed Donaghy down to the Kerry corner back position who would have defended the Mayo goal, O'Shea done his job, he isn't a man marker and can easily be turned, that's how Kerry can beat the Mayo plan, if O'Shea is on Donaghy play low ball into him and make O'Shea run, pull him away from the Mayo goal just like last week, Mayo need to have Higgins or McLoughlin helping O'Shea out for the low ball but that leaves other Kerry players free

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 25/08/2017 12:42:19    2037521

Link

Just read Horan's assessment on Donaghy, he had his chance with Mayo now close up, Keegan on Donaghy? He was destroyed by Roscommon in the 2nd half in the drawn game, he was nullified when he left wing half back and Horan want him as plan B if Vaughan can't do it

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 25/08/2017 12:46:03    2037525

Link

David Clarke needs to stamp authority in his area. Usually the ref gives a goalie the benefit of the doubt so I hope for Mayo's sake that Clarke takes man, ball and all.

expat345 (Monaghan) - Posts: 26 - 25/08/2017 16:25:27    2037648

Link

Congratulations mayo, ye were the better team by far and best of luck in the final.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10553 - 26/08/2017 17:11:33    2038069

Link

Great performance from Mayo today.Best of luck in the Final.It would be great for football and in particular for football in the West.It would be up to Ros to follow suit.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1195 - 26/08/2017 18:19:47    2038137

Link

Well done to Mayo, fully deserved victory. Hopefully one more big performance from a team thats easy to support wherever your from.

KY4SAM2015 (Kerry) - Posts: 872 - 26/08/2017 20:08:32    2038214

Link

Congrats Mayo, well deserved! Mighty character, resilience and great scores.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 820 - 26/08/2017 20:21:49    2038231

Link

Congrats to Mayo. I must say your supporters are exemplary. Fair dues to ye. I really really hope this is your year. Why not ! Ye are as good if not better than Tyrone or Dublin.so Its a matter of belief. Simple as that !

expat345 (Monaghan) - Posts: 26 - 26/08/2017 21:23:38    2038288

Link