Leitrim Forum

Leitrim v Waterford

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Croal is not a selfish player, he is a team player, geat to give a ball if he seems a teammate in a better position, done a lot of work and running, covered every inch of the field, appears to be one of the fitter players on the team, he was unfortunate that did not get the goal in the end and it was a good ball in from him that gave Donal Wrynn his last brilliant point, conditions were very difficulty
to-day and the team done will to win , they are all a credit to Leitrim with the amount of commitment they put in and the abuse they have to take from posters on this forum. I hope the draw is kind to them and they get some team in Carrick again, they deserve a bit of luck

Smokie (Leitrim) - Posts: 144 - 20/06/2016 00:44:39    1869253

Link

great effort from all concerned yesterday, great to see a leitrim team making an honest effort to win a match, performance so much better than anything else this year. A good win in horrendous conditions a near gale blowing down the field from the car park side which you wouldn't notice from the stand. Wrynne was good at full forward and was involved in the first 3 points, but we stopped hitting with the ball, he played well when he came out in the second half, great games too by kennedy, gallagher & maguire who were involved in everything good that leitrim did in the match. I thought shane moran tried hard in the middle of the field as well, mulvey/gilheaney were very industrious too. Sligo away is a good draw for leitrim, the best we could have hoped for.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 431 - 20/06/2016 09:21:47    1869318

Link

Dodgy_Pass great to see you so positive! the performance was far from perfect but i think the effort was there for all to see, comparing leitrim to Cavan who have collected 4 consecutive u-21 ulster titles in recent years and have a great tradition is a nonsense. Wrynne didn't get enough supply and he moved out field in the second half, also we saw the likes of keelan mc hugh, O'rourke and gaffney get game time which was another positive. if you look at the age profile of the likes of benny flynn, james rooney, thomas mulvey it is a relatively young and inexperienced team. we were also missing kevin conlan, matthew murphy, mark plunkett and michael mc weeney to injury. I think overall that yes Waterford are no world beaters but they have been something of a bogey team for Leitrim recently and that everything has to be taken in context, but also we are hardly kerry, it is only our second win in 15 years of qualifiers, and we have done it minus some key players.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 431 - 20/06/2016 11:37:55    1869470

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Dodgy_Pass great to see you so positive! the performance was far from perfect but i think the effort was there for all to see, comparing leitrim to Cavan who have collected 4 consecutive u-21 ulster titles in recent years and have a great tradition is a nonsense. Wrynne didn't get enough supply and he moved out field in the second half, also we saw the likes of keelan mc hugh, O'rourke and gaffney get game time which was another positive. if you look at the age profile of the likes of benny flynn, james rooney, thomas mulvey it is a relatively young and inexperienced team. we were also missing kevin conlan, matthew murphy, mark plunkett and michael mc weeney to injury. I think overall that yes Waterford are no world beaters but they have been something of a bogey team for Leitrim recently and that everything has to be taken in context, but also we are hardly kerry, it is only our second win in 15 years of qualifiers, and we have done it minus some key players."
I second that Totalrecall...Dreadful conditions yesterday but lads wern't afraird to have a pop. Esp Kennedy, Wrynn and great points at that It was refreshing to watch as opposed to handpasisng to someone else
Great to see all the players still around.
I was in Louth last year and came on here saying how terrible we were.
Massive difference this year. They burst themselves against a Waterford team that competed well v a Tipp side who have beaten Cork.
Can't ask for much more and the limited crowd (although weather wouldn't have helped) got behind them. I don't mind paying whatever as long as I see an honest effort.

We have Sligo now and that's not a bad hunting ground for us. We won't fear them. We will need to convert our goal chances though.
More game time and experience at this level can only be a good thing for the lads.

Well Done Leitrim lads 

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 70 - 20/06/2016 12:28:20    1869522

Link

Slightly off topic apologies, but what is the status on the league and championship now, will it still go ahead as fixed?

straightred (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 20/06/2016 14:14:06    1869642

Link

Great win, you can only beat whats put in front of you and we managed to do that without Conlan, McWeeney and Murphy who would all be regulars. Delighted for the likes of Prior, Reynolds, Sweeney, McGuire and Mulligan being on the panel for upto ten years and every win is massive. Youth from our decent underage teams over the last 3 years are finally starting to come through. McHugh, Gaffney and O'Rourke have great potential. Theres also word that Plunkett is back in training which would be massive but I doubt he will make it after being out for so long. As much as the tactic with Wrynn worked at times yesterday I do feel sorry for him at times hes still only 22 and is one of our main players but has been moved around like a yoyo into different positions he surely needs time to be allowed to settle in one? Gilheany and Mulvey added pace and enthusiasm which was badly needed thought Prior did well after he came on for Rooney and Kennedy finally delivered on his potential which is great. Massive opportunity against Sligo our underage teams have been beating team alot recently and the Willies turned over there champions just two years ago. The should be no reason to be fearful of them but looking at the Roscommon game which they played we will have to be at our best at Midfield and Full back to beat them.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 20/06/2016 14:14:26    1869643

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Dodgy_Pass great to see you so positive! the performance was far from perfect but i think the effort was there for all to see, comparing leitrim to Cavan who have collected 4 consecutive u-21 ulster titles in recent years and have a great tradition is a nonsense. Wrynne didn't get enough supply and he moved out field in the second half, also we saw the likes of keelan mc hugh, O'rourke and gaffney get game time which was another positive. if you look at the age profile of the likes of benny flynn, james rooney, thomas mulvey it is a relatively young and inexperienced team. we were also missing kevin conlan, matthew murphy, mark plunkett and michael mc weeney to injury. I think overall that yes Waterford are no world beaters but they have been something of a bogey team for Leitrim recently and that everything has to be taken in context, but also we are hardly kerry, it is only our second win in 15 years of qualifiers, and we have done it minus some key players."
I'm not doubting the effort. I said the boys deserved their win.

I am also not comparing them to Cavan. I am criticising their failed implementation of a strategy which Cavan used expertly. Surely an inter county senior team can be expected to implement a strategy. Both LM and CN had strong mobile Full Forwards. One scored 2-0 and one did not.

The criticism I had was that they weren't putting in serviceable ball into Donal, so why didn't they pull him the hell out and leave Kennedy and Croal inside and continue playing direct ball into them which was working in the first half. That's a fair and reasonable comparison to make I feel.

Someone in the comments compared the performance in terms of passion and want to the Louth game last year. I was there too and the second half vs Louth last year was absolutely abject. Definitely a bit more want yesterday but the feeling was always there that the game was never going to be lost.

There is certainly not the same level of optimism as there was following the Wicklow win.

I'm happy with the Sligo draw, probabaly the only one we could have been expected to win, much more preferable to a trip to Pairc Tailteann or Breffni. They are of a standard which will give our backs a test but will hopefully not completely outclass them.

I also agree with the point of young players getting exposure. It's a fair point and I thought McHugh and Gilheaney in particular were worthy of praise.

My only concern is that even a win against Sligo will paper over the cracks in the system of football both at County and Club level and all the problems will be brushed under the carpet for another god knows how long.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 20/06/2016 19:35:07    1869871

Link

Am I the only one on this forum that thinks sligo have far more power and talented footballers on there team?? And I would go as far as saying sligo are a better team than louth so it wasn't the most ideal draw we could have got

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 20/06/2016 23:35:28    1869985

Link

with all the talk being about our win last sunday, and the upcoming game against sligo, the fact that we are playing mayo in park sean in the minor championship semi final on wednesday next 29th june,is slipping under the radar. This team has been preparing diligently and deserve our support, this is the future folks so get out and back them
P.S i am sure it wont cost €20 so that cannot be an excuse

lonelylad (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 21/06/2016 10:09:09    1870037

Link

Replying to Dodgy pass, the overall standard of football in Leitrim is not good I think everyone on here will acknowledge that, again the clubs are very quick to blame them on the county board or them that are managing the county teams. Until the clubs take an individual and collective responsibility to put proper coaching structures in place in their own clubs first and then the most promising players can then work in tandem with a school of excellence or academy system at county level from u-14 upwards. Each club should be operating an academy and source the best available coaches within their own clubs to drive the process forward, academies should be starting kids off at 4-5 years of age and taking them up to 10 . Some clubs are already doing it but unfortunately many are only paying lip service to underage player development and yet they wonder why the standard of football is poor. I've said it before it is the clubs who elect the county board and they then spend the rest of the 11 months of the year with a them and us mentality. also the parochialism of club football in Leitrim , one of Leitrim GAA's greatest strengths, is also it's greatest weakness. Maybe a mini run in the qualifiers will help a revival and renewed zest among the GAA population of leitrim??? I don't think it is necessarily papering over the cracks, but it it does provide inspiration for a new generation of footballers who were happy to go on the pitch after the game last sunday and pose with their heroes and get shirts signed, this doesn't happen when you lose!

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 431 - 21/06/2016 12:31:42    1870141

Link

best of luck against sligo there should be nothing to fear we have a good record in sligo
and lets take it from there . as long as we dont start the rubbish football that we played against louth last year
we should be o k

downside (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 23/06/2016 15:24:46    1871249

Link

Let us not cod ourselves the game against Waterford was as poor as it gets,and we nearly fluffed it again.And it most definitely was not worth 20 euros way over priced.So now we have Sligo away not a bad draw but we will have to up our game bye 20 or 30 per cent from every player especially shane moran. He drifts in and out of every game.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 23/06/2016 20:37:35    1871357

Link