Leitrim Forum

Ways to improve club football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Po3nmotion they can't finish the small amount of games held within the county as it is and you are proposing more. Having a laugh are you?

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 26/11/2014 16:18:11    1675050

Link

Banana you can change things, you like a lot of people within the county want everything to stay as it is. Well the results won't change either with this malarky as it is.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 28/11/2014 14:08:07    1675340

Link

Complete new set up at the top table. But is there any chance of REAL CHANGE ? I still think that Carrigallens proposal last year had merit but it seems to have been scrapped. Does anyone know ?

williewonka (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 01/12/2014 18:30:49    1675822

Link

As far as I know the only motions this year are about not having amalgamations at minor and not starting the championships until after the leaving cert. Nothing regarding competition structures which is a pity as it needs to be debated at least. Maybe some club will submit something before convention but I doubt it.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 01/12/2014 19:27:59    1675836

Link

Was at the under 21 final yesterday. Great game of football for this time of year. By the looks of it good players coming through in the Fenagh and Gortletteragh clubs. It must be said Mohill were very unlucky to lose deserved at least a draw, they have some fine players too but thats a lot of finals they have lost in the last few years at all levels something seems to be holding them back.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 07/12/2014 20:35:18    1677271

Link

Too many mediocre teams in the SFC. To expand on Leitrim4Sam's point, introduce regional teams as in Kerry comprised of intermediate and junior players. Top 9 clubs & 3 regional sides play for SFC, that way at least we'll get the best players playing in the top competition. The way it is now, you might have a third of county panel playing intermediate (or even junior) championship.

TheCartownBus (Leitrim) - Posts: 15 - 09/12/2014 10:53:40    1677540

Link

One thing that makes me wonder is it just the way we run things, for example more games in either the league or championship. Maybe we should be innovative and use the League as way to determine seedings for the Championship. It would give more emphasis to the League and have teams well primed going in to the championship. something radical needs to be done, we have no county to try and copy as we are unique in how low the standard is and how small our pool is? New committtee lets be having you.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 09/12/2014 18:33:20    1677687

Link

So season is up and running. Not too early in the year compared to other years, weather is quite good and yet we still have games called off and conceded.

How are we supposed to improve as a county with such a careless attitude to club competitions.

Hudhastings (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 18/03/2015 10:54:18    1704045

Link

What about something as simply as lowering the amount of teams in each league, so there will be less games, it will be finished earlier and allow the championship to start earlier. At the minute, there are 12 teams in divison 1, leading to a total of 11 games each plus a final for the top 2.

Why not trial out a format similar to that of the national hurling league where the league is split into 1A and 1B and then maybe only the top 2 from A and B play off in the league final.

That would lead to 5 league games plus a final for the top 2, and the league could be over in 6 weeks. This I feel would make it more competitive as players aren't waiting months and months for the next game and allows the league to be finished before championship. Plus we all know how pointless the league becomes following championship as half the games get called off.

What are peoples thoughts on that?

inthebag (Leitrim) - Posts: 90 - 18/03/2015 12:07:41    1704079

Link

inthebag you are certainly onto something there, the league could be wrapped up nicely before championship,

another suggestion I read on this was to play league without the County players, and to allow a kind of bottom half play off for when County players return as a kind of a back door senario, as some teams may have more County players than average.

The Sheild should be ripped up and lit on fire.....such a waste of time and effort,

Marty.Mcfly (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 19/03/2015 09:47:45    1704363

Link

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice my dear, practice. To improve the standard of football you are proposing to lower the amount of competitive matches. you fools don't know the first thing about progress. Have a read of this and tell me what you think. My plan is simple, for every two trainings there should be one match. Simples. Kerry are obviously doing something right.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paddy-heaney/kingdoms-unique-structure-keeps-them-well-ahead-of-all-pretenders-314760.html

Jimmy_McNulty (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 19/03/2015 17:48:28    1704555

Link

Good man Jimmy, more games better atandard. 100% agree with you

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 19/03/2015 18:51:12    1704571

Link

Fantastic link to the article on Kerry footballers there Jimmy. Their divisional team structure is fantastic can't believe other counties don't adapt a similar structure. Could work for us

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 20/03/2015 16:17:01    1704843

Link

Jimmy_McNulty less games in the context of the state of the organisation of matches, you have to admit playing league into October is ridiculous, I remember a few leagues pushing into November,

There is a reason why this County has not adopted the proposal in said article...........complete retards at the top!

pushing through now into April and still no league...which means at least 5 games will have to be played after the Championship, roughly 50%, by then the spark in teams is gone, no intensity, no heart any more due to what ever may have happened in the Championship. In away its a waste,

Shorting it will give teams the opportunity to play against all styles of defense / attack within their division before the championship....when its needed.

Marty.Mcfly (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 20/03/2015 16:51:41    1704857

Link

We have to get clubs taking a more serious set up towards players lifestyle and training. If clubs in other counties seen what our clubs were at they would be laughing at them. They already are laughing at us. It was said here before that what our clubs do as training is a waarm up in other counties, i agree, never mind the diet/lifestyle that is led. How do we rectify this?? Get the club scene sorted out and the rest will follow

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 06/04/2015 21:33:44    1711433

Link

The most sensible way to go forward would be to have a once a year Battle royale. All 12 clubs are released onto Pairc Sean at the same time. The team with the highest score at the end of 3 days action is deemed the winner. No subs allowed

Taffin (Leitrim) - Posts: 268 - 07/04/2015 14:46:40    1711636

Link

leitrim4sam you have a point but I think it applies mostly to underage. In many clubs underage training is a bit of a run around and a game among the lads who turned up. We need to do a much better job of teaching skills early on, trying to make kids "natural footballers". In my opinion clubs players in the most part do work very hard, I would definitely say they train very hard, Aughawillan showed no lack of fitness against the Sligo club in last years championship. For me underage is where we need to focus all of our attention, it will take time, but all we need to do is look to our neighbours in Roscommon, newly promoted to division 1.....

20pointhero (Leitrim) - Posts: 85 - 07/04/2015 14:56:22    1711639

Link