Leitrim Forum

Minor Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

The Minor Championships are rolling along these days, Manachans, St Felim's & Fenagh/Gortletteragh looking like contenders in the Minor A after a few rounds of games. Anybody manage to get to any of the games so far?

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 313 - 21/08/2014 15:10:38    1640007

Link

I noticed the new name of "St Felims" in Minor Cship. I realise this is an SOH amalgamation but with whom? Their old parish compratiots Aughnasheelin are part of St Brigids now aren't they?

Mattie07 (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 21/08/2014 16:10:41    1640055

Link

Aughavas

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 313 - 21/08/2014 17:05:54    1640099

Link

It's surprising to me to see SOH going back down the amalgamation route especially with a club like Aughavas which they don't actually border. Amalgamations don't suit town teams as can be seen with SOH seniors languishing in the Intermediate grade. Short term gain but long term pain, in my opinion.

Mattie07 (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 22/08/2014 13:45:43    1640457

Link

Mattie there are a lot bigger amalgamations around the country outwith SOH

mohill and ned willie drum spring to mind

just my opinion but the town team should go to 13 if it can go solo if it cant and this is the only option it makes sure lads are getting games

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 22/08/2014 13:57:18    1640463

Link

well said UniGAA. aughavas won the 11 a side minor league and were forced to go up a grade but simply do not have enough players. Mohill minors or st manachans or 'south leitrim' are a much larger amalgamation, where the like of cloone and eslin will not benefit from this in the long run.

funnyfella (Leitrim) - Posts: 23 - 22/08/2014 14:11:33    1640471

Link

in my opinion its time to make 7 and 11 a side championships the norm at underage and force as many clubs as possible to go it alone, if two small clubs together can only make 7 or 11 between them then so be it but SOH or Mohill should be going it alone. For me the north Leitrim clubs are approaching it correctly, especially Glencar/Manor and Dromahair consistently competing at 15 a side against some of the biggest senior clubs in the county combined. They wouldn't be my own clubs but I do love to see these clubs going it alone reaping the reward and achieving success at underage level. For me these young lads who are playing with a few neighbouring clubs simply won't be able to see them as rivals as they currently are as they will have always played together.

In the long term I believe everyone going it alone will help their own clubs at senior level and certainly it will help the senior county team

20pointhero (Leitrim) - Posts: 85 - 23/08/2014 09:39:40    1640748

Link

Don't agree with this 11 a side nonsense. GAA is a 15 a side game full stop. If we are to improve at Senior it is essential that we improve the standard at underage but especially minor level. Felims, Manachans, Brigids and Fenagh/Gort have provided some great games so far and anyone that attends these games can attest to the high fare on show. 11 a side and 9 a side simply encouraged over carrying of the ball and habits like these are difficult to remove when players mature. Think people need to forget the myopic views and realise that we will soon (if we are serious about improving standards) look at amalgamating clubs at adult level also.

JimMorrisson (Leitrim) - Posts: 309 - 24/08/2014 19:01:40    1641307

Link

The likes of manor n dromahair shud be applauded for goin up against d strong amalgamations. Could be a case for saying why dont we join up and even up d odds bt no.s are no problem so joinin up wud be for wrong intentions.Despite the losses we are competing and improving players n mite just cause a shock before competions finished!

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 195 - 25/08/2014 18:09:42    1641923

Link

How about this? A 15 a side championship made up of clubs that can put out enough players along with say, 3 regional sides made up of the rest e.g North, South East and South West, these latter teams if possible run under auspices of county board. It would mean that all the better players would get exposed to 15 a side football which as other posters have mentioned is vital in player development.

For individual clubs not able to field 15, a separate 11 a side competition would keep non elite players involved as well as keeping those on regional panels playing with their own clubs. Obviously structures care would need to be put in place re burnout etc for players involved with both comps.

TheCartownBus (Leitrim) - Posts: 15 - 27/08/2014 10:26:37    1642809

Link

a bigger issue say the willies beat allen gaels and ned willie drum make the minor final will it be changed?

similar for soh if the reach the intermediate final and minor final the next day

given panel numbers its unfair to have players make a call

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 31/08/2014 10:35:06    1645047

Link

The minor final won't be played on those if any of the teams are in the minor and senior/intermediate final.. Last year mohill was in senior final and eslin were in the intermediate and then manchans were in minor and the final was played a different week to both finals!

Leitrim12 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 31/08/2014 10:52:42    1645057

Link

Are ya sure there. I thought Manachans played directly before the senior final last year. Check it out

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 248 - 31/08/2014 19:25:09    1645490

Link

The minor final is a repeat of last years final with Mohill(Manachans)facing Ballinamore(Felims) adding another chapter to their ongoing rivalry. Both these clubs have been out on their own at underage level which should prove fruitful for them in the coming years.I think Manachans have won the minor league the last 4 years which is a super achievement.If you want an indication of this success translating look no further to Mohills elevation in recent seasons with these successful groups starting to filter through to their improving senior side.Mohill were championship and league finalists last year with the first good group backboning the side.League finalists this year aswell with more players blooded in.They are making strides on the back of these underage successes and with more good sides at the younger age levels should be confident going forward.Ballinamore are similar to Mohill with their improvements in reaching intermediate final owing alot to their winning underage groups of the last 4/5 years.Their underage work also looks to be reaping rewards which could spell an upswing in fortunes for these south leitrim clubs in the years to come.The two finalists are very strong with both having a number of co.minor players from the successful minor squad.Oisin Madden,Keith Keegan,James Mitchell from Mohill were starting while Ballinamore also had four on the team.The battles of the key county players will be the focus but what will probably happen is that the best balanced team will win out with unheralded players proving the difference.The form books are quite similar with both teams proving the two strongest in a competitive championship.Fenagh Gort were very close to qualifying. Brigids were strong aswell and Glencar Manor were improving with every game and must be applauded for being one of only two clubs on their own.The finalists met in the first round where St.Manachans ran out close victors and impressively remained unbeaten albeit a draw against Fenagh gort combo.Felims were also as impressive, bouncing back to win all of their remaining games in convincing fashion.The momentum is probably edging towards Felims but Manachans will bring their A game for their closest rivals.I just have a feeling that now that the cards are even the best team will come to the fore and the soh lads owe mohill a beating.Felims to shade it.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 28/09/2014 11:31:16    1657631

Link

As predicted Felims claimed an impressive victory in the minor final.St.Manachans looked disjointed and polar opposites to the minor winning team that performed so well last year.The Ballinamore/Aughavas combo were deserving winners and should have really won by more missing many open goal chances over the hour.Ballinamores county minors Murphy,Reynolds and Mcgovern stood out with the latter winning the man of the match award for his display at midfield against his county colleague Keegan.It really brings into question the co.minor mangmts performance in the connacht championship.Mcgovern was played at wing back on the day and substituted early in the first half when it was clear the lads needed help at midfield.He looked like a fine county standard midfielder on Sunday...

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 29/09/2014 21:46:47    1658359

Link

Just want to congratulate both minor teams on an outstanding display of Football on Sunday. the future augurs well for the future of both club and county as the skill levels, passion and determination on show were as good as any of the so called stronger counties. St Felims deservedly won on the day but things just didn't click for Manachans who have been a strong force at underage for years and will no doubt be back stronger than ever next season. Well doen to St Felims

tarasy (Leitrim) - Posts: 12 - 02/10/2014 15:01:26    1659406

Link