Leitrim Forum

Waterford v Leitrim Saturday 15/3 5pm Fraher Field

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Too much soup last night in gerties 94? What a ridiculous rant, only a few years back Waterford were in Div 3, they beat Cavan in Cavan, far from an easy task. Now hurling counties like Dublin, Galway, Wexford, Limerick, Tipp and Laois certainly would not get beaten by Leitrim by any more than a few points on any given day. Disappointing as the result was the loss of big players is a worry. All good teams have bad days so how they bounce back is how to measure them. 2 wins leave us with a great chance of promotion so the challenge is as it was going into last weekend

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 17/03/2014 10:24:18    1560720

Link

its very simple now beat tipp and that wont be easy

i take no satisfaction in saying they are a different proposition in dungarvan

a set back yes but it will tell us where we are with this team over the next few weeks

said from the start of the year if we are going to ruislip with it in our own hands i would be happy

i also believe clare wont win in antrim last game either so there could be more than one twist left

quite simply lets get out to pairc sean in 2 weeks and give the team the backing 1. they deserve and 1. they need

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 17/03/2014 10:42:39    1560729

Link

Eddie 1. Here

Tipp by far the best team in div 4. TIpp up and down divisions over last 4/5 years-
Tipped U-21 Munster football champions 2010, All Ireland minor champions 2011, Munster minor champions 2012.
Serious talent. Leitrims biggest test to date. Carrick is worth few points to us, win that one and we go to London hoping Clare drop a
Point. With the LEitrim support Baying in the stand we can beat them

Up LEitrim

Eddie 1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 17/03/2014 13:34:53    1560830

Link

Injury seems to hit us everytime we get on a good run

We have a good panel and a super management outfit

Waterford was just a dark horse maybe a wake up call that we needed

Clare v Antrim I think Clare will be hard bet evenin casement park

Antrim havent had a good run but I like every other leitrim blooded man want them to win

Tipp probably will win out division 4 this year as Eddie1 said u21 and minor success over the last half decade is showing good blood in their panel

Pairc Sean is worth a bit to us tipp are hard bet in tipp

Lets hope Sweeney Brennan and a few more are fully recovered

Lastly well done to Cavan and roscommon on topping division 3 I think Cavan will win the final they have a super young team that's being over looked by the pundits simply because they are Cavan

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 17/03/2014 14:00:54    1560841

Link

I was in Dungarvan Saturday. This was not the same Leitrim team as played in the other games. You expected them to start coming into the game a bit but then Waterford would score a point or 2 much easier than all the hard work Leitrim had to do to score a point. The Waterford goal changed everything and they seemed to grow in confidence after it. Nothing Leitrim tried come off. Passes going astray and basic errors. Waterford also seemed physically bigger. The real surprise to me is how they lost so many games before this but they had drew with Tipp so the warning signs were there. The injuries really killed our hopes of a comeback. Huge ask now to beat Tipp in Carrick.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 18/03/2014 10:53:41    1561344

Link

grey wolf what was the sitter that was missed early doors and we only got a point out of it like, the same player was guilty with 2 chances early doors v carlow but came good 2nd half, had we got that goal would it have been a different waterford we faced or were we suffering their backlash from their result v london

just seen the 1-15 there is beck an 11? i hope paul brennan hasnt been rushed back too soon either, we have a tough job on our hands now but it is still possible and we have to believe it is

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 18/03/2014 13:16:40    1561485

Link

The sitter was a ball blasted over for a point when a goal was clearly there for the taking. It was a bad miss in my opinion and could have changed the game. The Waterford goal gave them the belief they could do it then. It all came from a fairly dodgy free as well if I remember correctly and completely rocked Leitrim. They never recovered rightly apart from the start of the second half they got to one point but Waterford hit back with 2 very quick points and we never got going rightly again after that. It was a strange game really.

I'm hoping Leitrim can recover and get back to the way they played against Wicklow. They're a different team in Carrick than away from home usually.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 18/03/2014 14:24:33    1561534

Link

For those who did not make it to Fraher Field on Saturday ,all is not doom and gloom.Four of the lads were suffering flu symptoms and in ordinary circumstances would not have played.Two were carrying injuries and had to be replaced plus the loss of Ray Cox at a crucial time in the game did not help. We did not play well as the players will acknowledge.Waterford on the other hand played out of their skins and used their physically stronger men in key positions to out muscle us.Coping with the high dropping ball is a worry and needs to be addressed.As the game went away from us ,we resorted to panic kicks ,gone was the more studied and disciplined shot selection of previous games,that too will have to be looked at.It was a bad day at the office and despite Tipperary's impressive victory over Antrim we must believe they are beatable in Pairc Sean.Make no mistake ,this will be a pressure game but if the lads really want to make it to Croke Park,they have to be positive about their talents and abilities.Despite last Saturday's defeat the future is in the hands of the Leitrim lads.We are still on course for promotion and let's hope there is a big home support in Pairc Sean on Sunday week.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 18/03/2014 14:41:42    1561556

Link

lets channel the energy now into beating tipp

look at how waterford reacted after losing to london in what was an unfamiliar venue and look what they did to us back in their own patch

couple that with the flu bug and we have our answer

I still believe we have a serious issue at 14, Mossy is a huge loss would he have stayed at 14 when fully fit though? glancy has been a fantastic servant to leitrim football but we have to be more clinical, against carlow he should have have 3-4 to his name at least,

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 18/03/2014 15:36:19    1561594

Link

I think Tipp are a shoe in for promotion, Clare & Leitrim can still go up. If each team win the next 2 games then it will come down to scoring difference. It will be a lot easier for Leitrim to get a win v London than the Banner going to Casement park so i'd say advantage Leitrim.

locks (Clare) - Posts: 239 - 18/03/2014 15:43:38    1561602

Link

London I would be sceptical about

2 years ago a Shane Moran point won the game(we had a full fit injury free panel in ruislip wynne was told he had to earn a jersey and wasn't given one)

London an improving side that scored goals against mayo in a connacht final last summer that our lads had togged out to play in June

London kept a half thought out leitrim side scoreless for 27 minutes in pairc Sean before Robert Lowe and Kevin conlon drew the game for us

Tipperary is going to be a hard hard game and 2 weeks of a break id be looking at 4 challenge games and 5/6 trainings

But London is going to be no easy walk in the park probably a more physical game than tipp id say

Don't forget the London team is made up of men that are usually playing division 1/2/3 football for their home counties

Tipperary in relegation playoff in division 1a hurling and promotion in the football

2 hard games Kevin conlon 11 or maybe Bruno McDonald if he's fit or Gerry hickey

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 18/03/2014 16:14:32    1561629

Link

While Sean Hagan was correct in his assessment that Waterford deserved to win on the day,those who were unable to be there should understand that this was a Leitrim team considerably weakened due to at least four flu victims ,three serious injuries resulting in replacements and a Waterford side playing for pride.A good team does not become a bad team overnight and Leitrim are capable of beating Tipperary in Pairc Sean if they reproduce the form they have shown since the beginning of the year.Galway,Roscommon,Antrim and Wicklow are impressive scalps and if the home support shows up on Sunday week,it's in our hands. The prize is not just promotion but a Croke Park date for the Divisional Final.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 20/03/2014 18:04:29    1562689

Link

Id be in agreement with you on that point

And from what I heard the referee wouldn't let the game flow

It was free after free

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 20/03/2014 19:15:13    1562732

Link

as long as its in our hands heading to ruislip i'll be happy

be interesting to see how carlow perform in Ruislip tomorrow

we have not become a bad team overnight as was shown last year decimate a panel like ours and we lose to london the waterford scenario was very similar losing that number ok different circumstances

the lads will be hurting after last sunday lets see the right reaction next week

as for the stay at home crowd, get out and give the lads the support they deserve

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 21/03/2014 09:05:37    1562869

Link

Hope most of our injured players will be available for selection for Tipperary game as this could be our all Ireland.
If we were to finish level on points with Clare I hope the goal which umpires didnt see in Wicklow does not deprive us of division 3 status next year

jdee (Leitrim) - Posts: 1 - 21/03/2014 13:38:19    1563035

Link