Leitrim Forum

Clare v Leitrim Cusack Park Ennis 9th February

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Wicklow beat Antrim by 3 points

Antrim scored more points against Wicklow than they did against us

We beat Antrim by 5 points and had we been a bit more accurate it would have been double scores

Joint second isn't bad seeing as we have faced 2 of the top 4 strongest teams in the division

Tipperary and Wicklow are the next strongest to what we have already faced

3-4 points from them 2 games would be a good result

Lets see how Wicklow tipp Clare and Antrim do in the next round

When they face eachother it could turn things round to favor us

I notice Antrim sitting bottom of the table are out today commenting on how other results still leaves them in with a chance of promotion after 2 losses

I can't see how to be honest unless they win all their games by 10 or more points

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 10/02/2014 14:49:49    1544232

Link

I'd be of the same opinion as Juande Ramos, it was crucial not to be on two losses or even one if Hagan and Co are to figure in the Top 3 come the business end.

I've always maintained Promotion from Division 4 is more than a one year plan, have to aim to consistently finish in the top 2/3 first but the fact they aren't in the position Antrim are in now is a huge positive.

Keep Calm and Carry On lads, I'm hoping for the best in the coming rounds.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 10/02/2014 15:03:19    1544244

Link

lads are we not 3 points better off than last year?

we got our 6 points from the 3 teams who finished below us, and took nothing from the teams above us

now say antrim replace limerick, clare were also above us, we took nothing from these last year so we are in decent shape, if we were to take 6 points from the same 3 teams below us as last year we would be on 9 points with 2 games to go, surely a point v tipp at home or in aughrim is realistic, its a long road but this is a fantastic start a home win v carlow will set us up nicely for aughrim, the mood on here is we are actually scared to dream a little bit, now thats not me getting carried away but we have a bit of belief and have a right good go at this, be happy with the 3 points on the board and believe in these lads, they read here too and no more of the negative from villa town am surprised at you but expected the negative from others

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 10/02/2014 15:43:03    1544267

Link

I am happy with a point from away game to Clare, especially the manner in which we earned it. Showed great fight. Well done lads!
Paul Brennan was a big loss, does anybody know why he was withdrawn?

Keep it up lads

mac21 (Leitrim) - Posts: 676 - 10/02/2014 15:54:10    1544275

Link

Who shone yesterday? Couldnt really get alot from the genius sending feedback on Shannonside!

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 10/02/2014 16:41:41    1544323

Link

The fella on shannonside was an embarrassment to say the least! Wicklow seem to have had two very false leading results, they beat London but everyone probably will (maybe not Carlow) and beat Antrim by 2 points in a game where they scored two penalties and Antrim missed a penalty of their own. I expect Wicklow to drop points soon. I wouldn't fear them away or anyone we have to play in this division we'll be very close to the top two at the end and should hopefully be in 1st or 2nd

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 10/02/2014 19:15:08    1544428

Link

Id agree with you there jimmy

And good points there too on the 2 penalties

Take them out of it and Antrim win by say 3

As I said earlier we beat Antrim by 5 without coming out of second gear

The stats from each game so far put ourselves and Clare on top

And id take nothing from the tipp Waterford game yesterday

Tipp are hard bet at home as are Waterford luckily we have tipp in pairc Sean

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 10/02/2014 19:30:28    1544434

Link

I wouldn't fear Wicklow away either but history tells me Aughrim has always been a graveyard for us. Would be fantastic is we could come away from Aughrim with something. No doubt Brennan was a big loss for us Sunday. My point regarding no. of points required still stands though, i would be extremely shocked if 10 points was enough to secure a top two place.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 11/02/2014 08:06:00    1544550

Link

I think a point away to Clare was a great result for us, still unbeaten and teams will find it tough down there, I expect Clare to beat Wicklow in the next round! At the start we all picked out Antrim, Clare, Tipperary and Wicklow as the top 4, we've now got 3 points from two of those games, naturally Aughrim will be difficult to go to but a defeat for Wicklow before that may bring them down to earth.

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 11/02/2014 10:20:13    1544580

Link

I think 10 points will see us up this year because teams will take points off each other.

The Wicklow victory in Antrim was a huge one - very difficult to ever get anything up there. Waterford also showed that our trip to Dungarvan won't be an easy one; in my view in order to get promotion we'll need to beat one of Tipp or Wicklow and win all of the other three that we will be favourites for (Carlow, Waterford and London). A slip up against Waterford would essentially mean that we'd have to beat both Tipp and Wicklow I reckon.

Last Sunday, nobody was exceptional, but nobody awful either (though our half back line had a difficult time in the first half on the back foot, but were as always excellent on the front foot - esp. G Reynolds). It was a disappointing result, mainly because at half time playing against the wind and having got the goal, it was there for the taking. Clare outplayed us significantly in the 2nd half but we did rally when it looked like we were beat. Tactically we have been very poor playing with the wind in our last three games. This needs to be worked on in the coming fortnight. We did not get enough support up to the full forward line throughout the 2nd half and Clare dealt pretty easily with any longish passes we tried.

Also, the options for management are expanding so it will be interesting to see what Hagan goes with for the Carlow game - Ciaran Egan, Alan Wynne and Shane Moran were all on the pitch last Sunday. Darren Sweeney must be getting near fit enough for a start too; I'd imagine he;d like a look at James Glancy in the inside forward line too. Add this to the lads who have been doing it over the last few weeks and it gets interesting.

Anyone know what the story is with Paddy Mc Gowan and Adrian Croal?? Are they on the panel or injured or what??

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 11/02/2014 14:36:08    1544735

Link

The team is working hard for each other,with a never say die attitude is what we seen last sunday. As for young shane moran he has a lot to learn,carrying the ball into contact every time and loosing it.J clancy a great servent to leitrim,his role will be as a sub coming oo in the last fifteen minuets.Hagan has done a good job playng good controlled football,looking forward to the carlow game keep it up and we will get promotion .

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 12/02/2014 10:43:28    1545060

Link

disappointing to see that report on shane moran saintly, maybe just keep him to the basics of what he is good at catch kick and shooting, he just might not suit the short game, look at ruislip a couple of years back he turned the game that day with the basics

lets have 2 points against carlow and kick on to aughrim where dare i say it we could be top of the pile going to aughrim

as regards wicklow have we someone like gerry flanagan to give leighton glynn a sore one early doors.........

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 12/02/2014 11:58:37    1545095

Link

@ saintly well said about the team and it's a good attitude ti have

Shane Moran first game back with the team so maybe a little rusty another few games should sort out the niggly issues

Carlow is the main focus they are coming good at the hurling

Geographically im not surprised but could still be a dark horse at the football too

I remember I think it was 2 years ago in Dr Cullen park just crossing them

Hopefully the weather will have improved and it will be a couple of degrees warmer

LiatroimABU

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 12/02/2014 13:02:57    1545127

Link

Well done to Sean and the team on Sunday.I hope we can progress and keep winning in this Division.I am tipping Longford and Offaly to be in Div 4 next Season and I wouldn't relish playing them, or even Sligo. Again Mulligan who was double marked came up with the all important scores,as well as creating ones as well. His quick thinking caught Clare, out with our first free when he passaed to Aron Hicky, who was in space, and he put it over for a fine point. Mulligan then decided to take the next free of the ground, and again it was one worthy of getting the applaud from the crowd. He took a good pass from Thomas Beirne, and finished with a good goal which put Clare on the back foot. I just hope that he stays injury free, for the rest of the season as we would struggle without him.I would hope that this squad of players, hold their discipline, on and off the field, and not get carried away like last year.I hope they do the jersey proud, Up Leitrim

makemyday (Leitrim) - Posts: 46 - 12/02/2014 17:48:49    1545299

Link

@makemyday I think Sligo would be stronger contenders than longford

Sligo and offaly to bottom div3 longford just stay safe I would say

It's a sign that division 4 is actually harder than div 3 when fermanagh roscommon and limerickcan all stay safe

Longford seem to be indecline which surprises ne after last year's u21 team reached the Leinster final v kildare

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 13/02/2014 16:34:45    1545704

Link