Leitrim Forum

2nd Sponsor on the Jersey

(Oldest Posts First)

Am I right in saying County teams are allowed have a secondary sponsor on their Jerseys now? It's a question I meant to put to the treasurer at Convention, but being unaware of the rule I kept quiet, at the risk of looking like an eejit.

I understand some counties bear Joe Brolly's Opt For Life logo on theirs as a 'second sponsor' for free, a lá Barcelona's Unicef kit a few seasons ago.

What I'm getting at is that seeing as were € 30,000 over budget on the trip to NY ( tickets & flights for "the boys") and we need to pull €400,000 out of somewhere to finish Annaduff, would we not try and get a Second Sponsor on the jersey, ease the burden a bit.

The only obstacles I can see to that is A) Co Board not bothering to look for one
B) Bush Hotel not too happy to share the 'Limelight' / Co. Board not wanting to alienate them as sponsors by putting a 2nd sponsor on the sleeve / back.

Even maybe look for someone to put on the Minor Jerseys along with Kerrigan Quarries, might go as far as to ease the price of gear for the team. I know last year the Co. Minors had to fundraise for their own gear as there was no 'funds' available for them to buy gear for the lads.

Every little helps, and all that.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 313 - 08/01/2014 14:19:05    1528980

Link

a new supplier has been approved in the gear market, its oneills we should all be going after to get the gear prices down, far too much of it around these days anyway, those jerseys retail at €65 they cost around €10 to make, where does the rest go?

but for the second sponsor why not but we need to be careful on the commercial side of things as people with see it as more money coming in and look for more reward

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 08/01/2014 15:41:12    1529037

Link

Dodgy_pass I agree with your points A and B

I've been rattling on for a while now about the big names around Carrick and the county that do business here

The only response I got from one county board member was

'how do you expect MBNA or TESCO to sponsor us?'

My reply was to approach them and cut a deal

Since Tesco opened in Carrick all the small town center shops that wouldnt compete have closed in the last 7-9 year's.so my point was that they could give something back to the community

As for MBNA the biggest bank in the world a hundred grand sponsorship wouldnt cost them a thought and it would get them good advertising in Ireland and America as all the games are watched in the states

2tier sponsorship could be the way forward

Or even get big names to sponsor the ACL leagues and championship along side connacht gold and pyramid

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/01/2014 16:29:15    1529075

Link

biggest bank in the world? maybe in monoply. try the chinese or germany if your looking for well capitalized banks.

1nightstand (Leitrim) - Posts: 77 - 08/01/2014 17:17:39    1529108

Link

MBNA left carrick to be replaced by their Bank of America division. They have since been replaced by Avant card. You may be wasting your breath looking for MBNA to sponsor us as they are gone this past 5 years or so

premiumrashers (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 08/01/2014 18:03:25    1529140

Link

Sponsorship in Co Leitrim is pretty paltry as the return for investing in the teams are minimum due to lack of progression in respective championships. TV is where the jerseys will get exposure and if Leitrim don't progress then no impact for the sponsor. Simple as that.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 08/01/2014 18:39:26    1529163

Link

Surely the bank as we shall now call it and a few others pitched in and we had a larger fund then the championship would improve like Tyrone or longford

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/01/2014 18:48:18    1529169

Link

94allstar: Surely the bank as we shall now call it and a few others pitched in.....???

94 would you read bannarepublican's post. It's located just above yours. It explains clearly and succinctly why Leitrim face such problems in securing adequate sponsorship. When Dublin announced their new sponsorship the county secretary (still has the post I notice, despite all your rabble rousing garbage)was interviewed and talked about the difficulty the county face when trying to attract a sponsor. Its a cold hard fact. Until such time as the county team is playing in either div 1 or 2, and reaching the latter stages of the championship it wouldn't make economic sense for a large sponsor to want to come in. And even then....

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 08/01/2014 19:52:38    1529212

Link

Anything that can bring in a few euro is welcome

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 874 - 08/01/2014 20:27:31    1529234

Link

Lads now that we are on to money,how about ideas for fund raising for the county team.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 08/01/2014 20:38:05    1529245

Link

Be no harm to organise a few family days in Carrick and ballinamore and manor

Blitzes for all ages adult - under 6 with entertainment on the day and spotprizes

A few local general knowledge table quizzes

Barn dances

Cycles runs walks

Slave auctions

Raffles for hampers holidays etc

The agricultural shows have guess the weight competitions the GAA could run similar

Concerts in pairc Sean or ballinamore around the festivals

Penalty and point kicking challenges €10 per entrant

Just a few ideas joeman123

Id have to point out that im not on for fundraising for "trips for the boys" to new York or London

Strictly funding for ball's cones bibs etc

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 09/01/2014 17:50:41    1529666

Link