Leitrim Forum

League/championship proposal.

(Oldest Posts First)

Just wondering what people think of the Carrigallen proposal to have your league status aligned to your championship status. I.e if you're intermediate championship you're division 2 league. I think that's the proposal. Has anyone heard anything on it. Apparently it means also playing league games without county players during the summer. Does it make a sham of the league.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 250 - 03/01/2014 14:21:38    1527247

Link

We are the only county to play the league using county players

I posted here a few months back a skeleton proposal for master fixtures

Shield to be played out inline with FBD

Leagues to be played from mid march and all league finals played around June bank holiday weekend

Championship to start mid June and be played out weekends between county championship games in connacht and qualifiers

The league and championship are totally different competitions

I would have more value on a junior championship medal than a senior league medal

So unless both competitions are to be merged to form some kind of year round super championship ,it's a nonrunner

If the fixtures were set up properly their is no need to adjust the structure of the league or championship

Lastly if games were refereed properly there is also no need for a black card rule

I can see alot of clubs that certain referees might hold bad blood with over rivalry or past encounters getting a raw deal from the black card rule

No reason why leitrim football can't be done and dusted at all grades the weekend after the allireland with the exception of connacht championship participants

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/01/2014 14:37:04    1527256

Link

I think the shield should be scrapped as its never finished and fewer teams are playing in it each year. Carrigallens problem is there looking to be in Division 1 be defalut as they can't make it up any other way....I agree with 94 when he says the league at least should be finished by Sept.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 870 - 03/01/2014 18:55:12    1527489

Link