Leitrim Forum

What the future holds??

(Oldest Posts First)

Was just chatting a friend about Leitrim football and the general set up in the county, and it was all negative. In a year that has been possibly the worst for Leitrim football on the playing field (apart from a basically meaningless FBD league win) we now have a farcical delay to the senior championship. I was just wondering if there are Any reasons to be cheerful , are there any positives to take from the set up in Leitrim, or the year we've had in general. Are there any people involved in clubs with basic management and admin skills that could help our v poor set up, be it coaching or on county board. Apologies but I'm desperate to have some kind of reassurance that we might have a great day out like 94 before I pull on the timber suit. A lot of the threads on the forum are almost depressing, and for good reason Thoughts ??

coppers.abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 12/08/2013 19:28:55    1460004

Link

Quite simply Copper, the answer is no. I think our county minors with a small bit of luck will have a great year in Connacht if they keep progressing as they are otherwise as a county it will be up to our walkers and Rose of Tralee entrants to keep us busy cheering for the next few years.
There is a full herd of elephants in the room when it comes to Leitrim football,
firstly our club scene, it is poor and with the exception of Manor all the other clubs have stood still and not produced the kind of footballers Manor has for the past 5 years, people say Manor are bad for football dominating it so much but my argument is they have 15 men the same as the rest but their athleticism and work ethic sets them apart. Other clubs have a flippant attitiude to hard work, don't try to hard as fear of failure is easier to handle when you know you didn't give 100% throughout the season.
Secondly the mindset in Leitrim is to tolerate a big drinking culture whereas ah he only had a few pints mentality, shur Paidi O Se had pints the night before a few all Ireland finals... We are not alone in this but the pub and drinking scene in Leitrim is bad, young lads come to games the worst for wear, miss training because of sessions etc. It is a problem, I don't mean to be a killjoy but as recently retired club footballer (never near county standard) I always took the summer months serious and had 2 weeks before championship games on the dry as did the majority of my team mates and the ones who didn't were the ones who would generally give up first if things started to go wrong. Apart from the health side it undoes all the good work put in by players at training sessions.
Thirdly administration is awful, this year alone we had the minor final debacle, the dismissal of the 4 players and now the Drumreilly objection which makes the co board look foolish to say the least. Why do delegates vote in people not fit for their jobs. The stuff that has happened now will ensure they keep their jobs because no right minded person would want to work with people who seem to lack football nous and cop on. Good clubmen should be head hunted and elected to the board, not free dinner hunters.
Finally I will harp on about that old chestnut, player development, our county coaching officer is not doing a good job. Nowadays the country is full of highly educated people with sports science degrees, who do our short sighted people appoint to the most important job in Leitrim, one of their old yes men, and the results in recent years bear me out on how successful that has been.
We just keep doing what we always did and the other counties have moved with the times and left us sitting flatly on our bums. Wake up time or else young kids in the county will treat gaelic football like learning the recorder, learn and enjoy it up to 13, realise then that no orchestra has a recorder in it and discard it for a better hobby.
On a positive note we had nice jersies this year.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 12/08/2013 20:55:02    1460065

Link

A root and branch report was carried out a number of years ago.
It reported on their findings and made a series of recommendations.
Most of these made complete sense even though they were a bitter pill to swallow for many of us present at the unveiling.

The meeting was heated to say the least as clubs were told that serious changes were required.
I knew that these recommendations would be very beneficial to the standard of football in the county.

To my horror club after club stood up and revealed that they would be voting against the proposals.
My heart hit the floor when one club that I never remember winning anything significant revealed that they too were voting against it too.
They revealed that they wished to continue on their well tested path that had hitherto recouped zero success nor county player in years.
It then became apparent that the lack of county and club success outside the county is driven by our clubs very narrow outlook.

We need to pool our resources at underage level.
Amalgamation a can offer our youngsters a higher level of competition and coaching via the fact that there would be greater pool of coaches between two clubs rater than just one.
Those regional underage 15 aside competitions should be prioritised more. Even above the club competitions I dare say.

I feel that report should be reserected for a start.
There was a lot of good stuff in it.
All clubs should be asked to develop or share a long term development pathway for their young players.
This pathway should be checked to ensure that it is actually being followed and not just an aspiration.
A generic county pathway might be the best way but clubs may have the expertise themselves.

Anyhow there is some good stuff going on and it should be shared and and promoted.
We need to stop playing the blame game.
The county board is not the cause of everything, clubs have a greater responsibility than they care to admit I'm afraid.

We can not continue to do the same thing over and over agin and expect different results.
We need some club driven innovation.

down.on.it (Leitrim) - Posts: 73 - 13/08/2013 10:01:18    1460194

Link

frankly im suprised some posters here are only after learning that the majority of the county is narrrow minded, as if they never left leitrim!
possibility for change is there yet it wont be accepted!

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 13/08/2013 13:05:26    1460373

Link

Amalgamations to have 15 a side competitions was voted against by smaller clubs as they felt it would then hinder the development of the lesser skilled players or the late developers as there would be no place for them in the bigger set up. Argument is still the same. The 15 a side suggestion would have cut our county's numbers playing the game but was being sold as a game changer. The regional competition if it got a set date each year for the odd number age groups is a great idea but again will not be the cure for all the ills in the county. That glossy document issued by the county board had lots of suggestions that should have been implemented regardless of the vote. Other suggestions were vague as hell.
County board are behind the times with no real encouragement for innovation, what is sent by clubs to county board meetings are even more backward, usually awkward men who need a pedestal to get their knowledge of the rule book out in the open and their voice heard. So each club has to look at what they nominate as delegates, stop sending the same men for years who have been there watching as the whole GAA scene in the county stood still while every other county leapt into the new century. 13 years gone so far 87 to go and the way Leitrim works expect lots of sons of the present board to take over the mantle when they finally let go.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 13/08/2013 17:32:55    1460721

Link

Yeah I've seen a lack of forward thinking in my own club. A suggestion was made a while ago that we would train mid week with a neighbouring club. Logic behind it was we could have 13 or even 15 a side game at training, great idea really. Plus both clubs are in separate divisions and championships. Anyway, my point is , an 'experienced' man in our club wouldn't even listen to the idea and basically said we'd train with them over his dead body. It would have been excellent as both clubs have lads away with work and college etc. We desperately need a new approach at all levels.

coppers.abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 13/08/2013 21:14:34    1460916

Link