Leitrim Forum

What clubs will challenge in 2013?

(Oldest Posts First)

With melvin gaels losing mulligan and a few others and manor susposedly losing players aswell, what clubs are going to come through and challenge the for honours in 2013? for me i think it will come from either the Willies or from mohill?
the willies have many young players coming through such as the plunkets, quinns and gilheanys and now with barry prior returning will have even more experience added to a new management team.
Mohill have young players also such as mulligan, quinn, madden but will need to hold onto the exeptional michael McGuiness to have an impact, but they still have one of the best forwards in leitrim in Ronan kennedy.
is there any other clubs that will challenge?

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 10/01/2013 17:39:36    1316542

Link

where do you get you information with regards players leaving Manor?? as far as i know, being from the club, Manor are gaining players every year which will only improve them, they have a quality u21 system which feeds their adult teams... with melvin gaels losing mulligan as well as a few other lads heading away its hard to see them challenging Senior Championship this year where as manor will be there or there about's come the business end of the year, dick shall be makin the short journey up through Glenade i feel...

steptoe (Leitrim) - Posts: 1 - 10/01/2013 20:50:29    1316654

Link

I'd be hoping that we'll come up to the mark in 2013.

willieatheart (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 15/01/2013 21:32:49    1318894

Link

In my opinion, the teams with a realistic chance of winning the fenagh cup this year are Manor, Carrick and Gortletragh. I feel it will be these 3 teams with either mohill or melvin in the semi finals.

Even with the loss of mulligan and a few others Melvin will still be stronger than the rest in the championship but dont have that extra bit that will take them over the line.

The past 2 years all we've heard about on this forum is this young mohill team, and im sick of it. They may be young but there just not good enough, they were the only team to get beaten 3 times in last years championship and were comfortable beaten by manor and melvin. they simple dont have that extra bit of class to pull them over the line.

Carrick again came narrowly close to beaten manor in the semi and this year if they can get mulvey through injury free to the end of the year i think they could just nick it.

Gortletragh are just going from strength to strength winning both div 2 and intermediate championship last year. Playing in div 1 will help them with there quest for the fenagh cup, and whos to say they cant win a senior title on the back of winning an intermediate title... the current senior champions just did.

The thing that impresses me most about manor is not the way they have, in the past couple of years built in a winning mentality into every team that goes out to represent them wheather its mens, u21, ladies, hurling. Gving that is impressive the one thing that stands out for me is how they manage to keep hold of all there players. With every club losing players for work reasons abroad. Manor keep hold of them. Again this is why they will deservedly be favourites heading into the championship cause its the same experienced team with a few new recruits that has one 4 out of the last 5 senior championships.

Aughawillian???? Please dont make me laugh, if you need an excuse to understand why I dont think they'll do anything, just look at the result from the semi final last year.

inthebag (Leitrim) - Posts: 90 - 16/01/2013 12:28:29    1319025

Link

Inthebag, Carrigallen and Kiltubrid lost 3 times as well not just Mohill, Ballinamore lost four!!! Ballinamore for intermediate, Wayne McKeon inter player of the year (If he's injury free)

Memyselfirene (Leitrim) - Posts: 38 - 16/01/2013 13:07:13    1319054

Link

For me the top teams this year will be Carrick, Aughawillan, Manor and Mohill, i think the loss of key players to melvin gaels will just be to much to handle as the four other teams have good young players coming through. In intermediate it is hard to look past Ballinamore with the likes of mckeown, moran and the murphys in their side, however if Aughnasheelin get their act together they have potential along with Dromahair and Drumkieran.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 16/01/2013 13:33:15    1319079

Link

Senior championship is very hard to call this year. As for intermediates, I would not rule out Melvin Gael's 2nd team and would fancy Aughavas's 1st team to win Junior A and bounce back up to Intermediate!

MulletsRock (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 16/01/2013 14:23:34    1319116

Link

Ok hold on a minute. Has the Intermediate relegation playoff already been played or did they reach an agreement in house? Cute hoors the gaels are if they got away with that one!

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 16/01/2013 16:01:35    1319211

Link

Question more accurately is - who will challenge Manor? Melvin Gaels should do, anyone else? I don't see it I'm afraid.

Solo_Run (Leitrim) - Posts: 171 - 16/01/2013 18:49:35    1319360

Link

Course the Gaels got away with it, Aughavas are the ones hard done by in that situation, hopefully their club executive take it up with the Co. Board, it's there in black and white the sanctions for an unfulfilled championship fixture.

I hate to sound like 94AllStar on that one but there's lots more incidents of a similarly illegal nature that clubs indulge in that are never brought to the Co. Boards attention as its an open secret that they'll do nothing about it..thereby hanging the team that brings the complaint.

Regarding Senior/Intermediate, impossible to say in January. I reckon Mary's, Annaduff, Manor and Melvin Gaels, although expect some humdingers if Gortletteragh-Bornacoola or Gortletteragh-Mohill are in the same group / quarter final.

Intermediate, everyone's talking about Ballinamore but it's harder then you think to get out of Intermediate if you don't do it in the 1st or 2nd year you go down. All these players they have didn't count for much without Wayne McKeon last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Dromahaire win it and continue the recent tradition of beaten finalists coming up the following year.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 17/01/2013 12:32:31    1319604

Link

Ballinamore are a different team when mc keon is playing,plus they have a new manager and a few nice young players coming through.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 17/01/2013 13:36:14    1319649

Link

Don't forget mohill are like mayo fond of silver medals

We will probably meet them in the quarters and beat them again by 7 points

Mary's v manor final

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 17/01/2013 14:55:21    1319715

Link

Solo_Run how did you come to that damning conclusion? Care to explain?.. Sure the rest are as well leave the bags for the year if they were to go by your prediction. Did the Gaels and Manor look to you to be on this far reaching plain that the rest just couldn't reach? They were definitely not in my eyes and with thoughts to next year, how are you so certain Melvin Gaels will remain as strong? Especially when you count the number of losses they have incurred incl managagement + otherwise.

A new year wipes clear the baggage from previous campaigns and breeds new hope into clubs that they can reach the top. I feel there are a number of teams that should be confident of pushing for the Fenagh cup 2013. None more so than a couple of south leitrim teams that can take belief from last year's championship performances. What about the Bor's who ran the champions closest or St.Marys that really had Manor on the ropes and should have sealed the deal. Your saying they won't be there or there-bouts?

Then you have the Div 2 and Intermediate champions Gortletteragh that look to be going in the right direction. It doesn't matter where or how they do it winning breed's confidence and they will be a dangerous team to meet come championship time. Expect a kick also from an up and coming Aughawillan team and if they get their act together a talented Mohill team that could be a force.

The champions have solid foundations to build from but you can't deny the personnel losses will affect their bid to retain. In fact I predict the Gaels will fall at an earlier stage than a few so-called also ran's, so to say that only themselves are equipped to challenge is a lazy remark to make. A lot of teams in my eyes anyway should feel they have a realistic chance of winning next year not just last year's finalists. It's a new year.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 17/01/2013 21:20:03    1319957

Link

Its not a "damning conclusion" - it's just a point of view.

I said in 2012 nobody would beat Manor, only Melvin Gaels - but caught their match in the group with Melvin Gaels (a draw) and fancied Melvin Gaels after that. I went to the league final (leaving aside the nastiness ) and they are both operating at a physical level (strength and speed) that I haven't seen in any other side....maybe St.Marys on a good day.

(By the way, its nothing to do with South Leitrim, North Leitrim ---- average standard is the same throughout the county, the fact those two are from the Northern half means nothing, its coincidence. In fact, I've never been that impressed with any particular individual for Manor consistently over the last 5 years so - more so with their ability to bring players off the bench to perform - seem to have a strong panel and aren't dependent on anyone, then anyone of the 15-20 can have a stormer on any given day. Outside of maybe Paddy Maguire I don't see an "automatic" pick for the county team from them. My main Manor contact tells me they have players from their u-21 winning side who'll break into the team shortly, and they'll be stronger - don't know whether he's winding me up or not - but he does tends to call it as it is)

Solo_Run (Leitrim) - Posts: 171 - 21/01/2013 16:31:07    1321349

Link

He's not messing there are definitely four or five players that could break into the team this year. Your right the strength of Manors panel is a huge advantage and has got them out of many a hole over the years. For example, when you have one of the best young players around that has played county all the way up including U21 last year(A player that would walk onto most senior club sides in Leitrim)not able to gain a regular starting place, you can see the strength in depth. So it's all rosy up in Manor going into the new season.

But I don't think you can say the same about the neighbours. Mulligan is obviously a big loss along with a couple others. But aside from these losses they aren't as well placed to cope as they don't have the same underage conveyor belt or panel depth as Manor or others have thus why I took you up on your comment.

PS. Do you not think Croal or Clancy are quality forwards or that Darren Sweeney is a player of huge talent?

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 21/01/2013 17:41:34    1321391

Link