Leitrim Forum

The future of our home clubs could be on the brink

(Oldest Posts First)

In opening this thread with news spreading that glenfarne could be no more

Fair enough they were relegated in the league and now play div2 and intermediate

This will cause a lack of interest in the club for a while however will the numbers be there in glenfarne and other rural clubs across the county to field senior teams this year?

Since the manor team started winning championship after championship with melvin geals following suit a downer has been put on Leitrim football and it is expected next year that one of the same 2 will win the senior championship

Where has the competition gone?

Where has the pride and passion gone?

Why are the wrong people running clubs that are allowed to just let players go and make a club smaller to a defunct state because it suits the individuals running the club to have a lesser work load?

In the 80s half the county left ireland never to return but our football improved from 86 up to 96 an again for a couple of years around the millennium and in general Leitrim was booming with Masonite the Shannon Erne waterway Charlie mcgettigan winning the Eurovision

And not a housing estate being built at the time and we still got on with it

So what's next? Who's going to amalgamate?

And most importantly how many more clubs are going down the route of an EGM

Extraordinary General Meeting

Lastly it might be a good idea for certain clubs to get rid of the politicians that run them and bring on fresh blood that will attract players instead of shunning them away

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 10/01/2013 16:47:37    1316504

Link

94 All Star clarify a few things for me.

1)

"Fair enough they were relegated in the league and now play div2 and intermediate. This will cause a lack of interest in the club for a while however will the numbers be there in glenfarne and other rural clubs across the county to field senior teams this year"

Regarding that first statement, is it not a bit presumptuous? You presume there will be a lack of interest as they were relegated to Div 2? If anything that should galvanise them and give them incentive to get back up as the difference in class in Div 1 and 2 is significant. From my own experiences clubs that drop down a division are almost raring to get back up the following year. Regarding the second part of your above statement, the Glenfarne Secretary stated in the Observer they have no problem fielding teams. They have a problem filling executive positions. Different thing entirely.

Glenfarne went public with a problem the vast majority of rural clubs have. If it gets their EGM well attended and their executive filled well fair play but to go front page on the Observer with this 'potentially winding up the club' craic is just scaremongering and a bit of a sneaky tactic. They even had some coverage in the Irish Independent today. A lot of clubs may have had the same problem up and down the country but knuckled down and got on with their EGMs. Guarantee that Glenfarne/Kilty GAA club will be in existence for many, many years to come. But they did themselves no favourites with that bit of PR in my opinon

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 12/01/2013 17:12:07    1317337

Link

I don't read bog roll!

They probably didn't do the right thing going national about not being able to get people to take up jobs in the club

To be honest they are not the only club in this situation

But it suits the politicians to go around the time of an agm saying they don't want a job in the club because its too stressful or they get nothing for their time ,yet this is their own way of canvassing for themselves to get re elected

My opinion a club should have a new chairperson every year and jobs should be given to people that have an interest in their clubs not people that seek public attention at football games or socail events, and think they have some kind of magical powers and the need to give a speech on the field after games that they should have been in the stand watching

The pitch dugouts and sideline is for players manager selector linesman umpires and ref that's all

Others should learn their place is in the stand and if they don't like what's being said the club will just get someone else to do the job

I know a lot of jokes and banter come from the setting up of amalgamations at u21 and minor or underage levels

The point I want to get at is how many clubs will amalgamate in the comeing years to field senior teams?

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 15/01/2013 10:24:34    1318488

Link