Leitrim Forum

Money for clubs

(Oldest Posts First)

I read on the observer website about clubs getting grants from the gaa, and Just can't understand on what basis that cloone gaa have been offered €49000 and aughawillian gaa been offered €25000. Considering the size of these clubs and that fact there not getting bigger (as both have to amalgamate at underage level) it seems a strange decision that these should get so much instead of it been shared out equally amongst all clubs in leitrim. One club that I would have thought should have benefited from the scheme should have been manorhamilton. Firstly im not from manor, but im looking at the bigger picture, with that money there new pitch could be completed alot quicker, and this could be a huge benefit to the county team at all ages. With this new field and anaduff complete from U-14 up to minor we could have a north and south development squad like many other counties. Instead of one single panel of 25 we could have 2 panels consisting of 50 players all together. This would help bring on a lot of players that aren't up to county standard and in doing so down the line help increase the quailty of players within our clubs and this will have a knock on effect at inter-county level, where our standard will increase. This is just my thoughts on it just wondering what everyone else thought?

inthebag (Leitrim) - Posts: 90 - 06/12/2012 13:49:55    1307218

Link

Ballinamore getting money and there pitch one of the best in any County. The money can't be used to clear debt.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 885 - 06/12/2012 14:38:43    1307257

Link

good point made about the development squads.. There are other clubs who are doin work with playin facilities and didnt get anything. I know dromahair are workin to try and do up their pitch and develop a community park and St. Osnats are also gettin a new pitch. There are probably a few other clubs that are doin work with their grounds too but i dunno why the likes of cloone, ballinamore and aughawillan got money when they already have top class facilities.

LeitrimMad1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 43 - 06/12/2012 15:54:03    1307322

Link

Villatown did drumreilly get nothing,how ballinamore use the money is up to them you should look after your own club.Ballinamore have done a good job and are trying to get lighting in place.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 06/12/2012 19:22:55    1307462

Link

lads i genuinely dont think thats a good idea about the two squads.im not on here having a go or anything like that.i saw ye play mayo in the u15 blitz in mchale park and was very impressed but i think if ye diluted that team ye would struggle.it would be a good idea in terms of giving more players a chance of training with the county at a higher standard but when entering any of the blitz's with two teams it would leave ye struggling.

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 715 - 06/12/2012 20:10:11    1307485

Link

Cloone is a county standard pitch unlike the majority of the pitches named above it takes a lot of money to keep a pitch of cloone and ballinamore a standard every year you can't just do up a pitch and stand and dressing rooms and walk away from it and expect it to last forever and a day with no maintenance. Maybe that's why the facilities are so bad at the fields that are named that didn't get money

It's not all about a politician being seen on a ride on lawn mower

And who jumped to the conclusion of clearing debt with grants

The soh money is for lighting as far as I know

And this is not the end of the money there will be more announcements in January

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 06/12/2012 22:00:26    1307542

Link

No Drumreilly didn't get anything which is a dissappointment seeing all the goodwork that we are trying to do! Before you get your thong in a twist saintly i'm just making a point that Ballinamore have a good set up and shouldn't be getting alot of funding. I feel that with all the coverage ye are getting it looks good be seen supporting ye. Clubs like Dromahair,Glen/Car and Drumreilly should be give alot more support then we are. Its not all about the big shots.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 885 - 07/12/2012 14:36:07    1307716

Link

Yes i agree with you that all clubs should be treated equally,and i also no that ballinamore will have it all finished when they get the lights up. and it will take a lot of money to keep it there.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 07/12/2012 15:06:32    1307729

Link

Did these clubs that ye are complaining about not getting funding actually apply for funding or meet the criteria for funding?
No point in complaining if they didn't!!!

paddymc (Leitrim) - Posts: 46 - 08/12/2012 15:33:13    1307991

Link

All clubs with poor facilities should be coming up with plans to improve their grounds. Without pointing fingers there are a lot of below par facilities in the county. Now it was stated in an earlier that Cloone is a county standard pitch, oh please. One of the worst surfaces in the entire county, while it does have good facilities otherwise, a clear case of putting the cart before the horse. In Leitrim only Ballinamore can claim to have great pitch and facilities. Pairc Sean is not a good playing surface in rainy season. Leitrim Gaels pitch is good but tiny dressing rooms. Allen Gaels field which was the best a few years is pretty good and fine new facilites. Aughawillan, only ok field but great new facilities. Annaduff have decent club house and a pitch that considering how much use it gets is not bad. Bors have good pitch, dreary dressing rooms. Drumkeerin's new facility is nice but pitch still needs work. I think after co board finishes it's project should focus on 3 clubs a year and help fund big improvements in them starting with the worst. Honest assessments needed. Strong club scene will improve county team.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 08/12/2012 17:42:57    1308031

Link

Cloone pitch is ok to play on I played on it a good few times this year and its second to ballinamore

Leitrim geals is a good pitch but its a community field so it has unusual "other" sports being played on it so that's why it's surface is getting dated

Allen geals is a good pitch if there wasn't a strong possibility of breaking a neck or 2 between the dressing rooms and the pitch

As for annaduff one could get lost for a week and remain unfound the holes in it. Fair enough it gets a lot of use but it doesn't take a lot to fill the holes or put nets on the goals or even behind them

Mary's is a good fast pitch

Mohill is overrated for the money that went into it

And don't forget our beloved pairc Sean has history between those wide ridges

I do agree with your 3 clubs per year it would mean that every decade each club would get a boost

This would bring facilities into scratch for the next generation

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/12/2012 20:58:10    1308090

Link