Leitrim Forum

Hurling...

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Native i am not been smart but the county council along with the sport council,.were giving the hurling board twenty thousand euros towards a full time coach But it was not followed up on, it would have been good to get a full time coach for the youth,

heinekenman (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 08/05/2012 18:47:35    1168102

Link

A few less pints of "Heineken" and pub talk would be in order lads. There are plenty of hurling meetings organised which are advertised in local paper for anyone with a genuine interest in hurling. People here dont have your facts right talking about hurling when they dont even attend or help the cause but are quick enough to critise. Of the 4 coaches I know of 2 of them who are excellent. They cover the north Leitrim schools and Gortlettragh/Drumshambo area. Ive heard from several teachers in those schools who highly recommend their professionalism and hard work in coaching in the schools.

On a seperate note, the current county team is very young and will take a few years to develop. They put in a great performance up to half time last Saturday. Tyrone played a higher division this year and their experience showed. No one can fault the hurlers efforts this year. Less critising and more productive comments would be in order.

I also see the county board have fixed div 1 football for saturday and sunday. How can players play hurling saturday then play division 1/2 saturday evening then again sunday. Absolute total lack of regard for player safety and welfare.

Cluaininabu (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 09/05/2012 12:06:56    1168427

Link

As a person that knows that the 20000 was offered for a top coach to be employed , by the hurling board all ye had to do was back up there offer but ye declined to do so.But ye have lads that are not ex county hurlers, going into schools to coach the youth of today.And as for players playing sat and sunday,it is happening every weekend with the gaelic clubs so your arguement dose not stand up .

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 09/05/2012 13:49:01    1168574

Link

saintly
County: Leitrim

1168574 As a person that knows that the 20000 was offered for a top coach to be employed , by the hurling board all ye had to do was back up there offer but ye declined to do so.But ye have lads that are not ex county hurlers, going into schools to coach the youth of today.And as for players playing sat and sunday,it is happening every weekend with the gaelic clubs so your arguement dose not stand up .

You know what exactly??? The job was advertised both locally and nationally. Only a hand full applied who where from Leitrim.
Regarding the fixtures, I dont get your arguement? There are 4/5 Manorhamilton men, 2 Aughnasheelin for example on the hurling team who have to play senior football straight after the hurling on Saturday. How can this be good for lads welfare? Ridiculous if you think about it.

Cluaininabu (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 09/05/2012 15:06:22    1168678

Link

well said cluaininabu. do the leitrim county board not realise that players need rest after a compitive game. and yet there will b no matches 3 weeks b4 leitrim go to london wot a joke.

saintly, since u no 20000 was there, then u wud no that the hurling board ave no say in wat is done . As they are only a sub committee.

native (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 09/05/2012 16:20:45    1168742

Link

Well it is great to get everyone of ye talking ,maybe when convension comes up next year ye all might get together and try to change things.Everyone can jump on me but when i tried to get things changed last year ,it fell on def ears and no support from most clubs .So instead of typing all your answers and grieviences at me ,maybe ye might stand up and back us up .

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 09/05/2012 19:48:09    1168925

Link

First & foremost, fair play to the hurlers on Saturday V Warickshire. Gave a great account of themselves & battled very hard to the very end. Keep it going lads, the only way is up!

20k seems a lot for the hurling board to come up with. When you take into account the revenue streams available to the county board (football board) & those available to the hurling board, there is a huge imbalance.

The hurlers don't boast the proceeds of entry fees to senior, intermediate, junior club games in league & champo, direct funds from county supporters clubs, golf classics, Dublin London New York dinner dances, & main sponsors of county team & of each respective club league & championship, contributors to senior football team etc. Like the footballers they receive funding from Croke Park, but that is all. This would just about cover the cost of running the county hurling team. If I remember correctly, a few years back the county hurlers sported plain green county jerseys only bearing the county crest with no sponsor listed on the front of the jersey. What was this all about?

So, for the hurling board to stump up 20k would be quite a task. Should the county board not take the bull by the horns & provide the full amount?

I see planning permission is being sought to develop Pairc Sean. The lift to the stand, fair enough but I cant see why this was not installed during the main construction. The turnstiles....are they really necessary?

rawtimber (Leitrim) - Posts: 7 - 14/05/2012 12:20:02    1171656

Link

Manor in the final again, hopefully they can go one step closer and win it, they deserve to win it, with all the work that is being put into the club, carrick wont be easy, but i can see manor pulling off a victory, hopefully

cecil72 (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 14/10/2012 14:13:02    1282836

Link

Cluainin Iomaint won. Are they Glencar/Manor?

Cully (Laois) - Posts: 375 - 20/10/2012 21:08:25    1286044

Link

Fair play to Glencar-Manor.......after disappointment of a losing out on a historical 5-in-a-row, some consolation with a hurling title. Obviously I knew a good few lads from there, but don't have detailed knowledge of the club....but doing something right up there.

Solo Run (None) - Posts: 313 - 21/10/2012 13:04:52    1286130

Link

anyone have any idea what the story is with the leitrim senior hurling team, only afew weeks to go now until the league starts, yet no sign of training?..abit of a joke tbf, plenty of young hurlers from all clubs are coming up,, it will be a disappointment to let the talent go to waste

cecil72 (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 04/01/2014 15:35:00    1527632

Link

First round of the league is the ninth of March vs Tyrone. So eightish weeks to go... Personally I think they would be better served doing gym work for at least a couple more weeks. However they would want to be on the field by late January.

premiumrashers (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 04/01/2014 16:00:31    1527644

Link

If we had a budget for hurling in the county it might develop the sport more which would be good for GAA in general in the county

However it appears trips to new York are of more importance when it comes to the yearly expenditure on the county boards financial statements which might I add are very vague

There was a time when GAA was about playing hurling and football and handball rounders and competing in scor however nowadays it seems to be about retired civil servants holidaying in London and new York

Not going off topic but Carrick won the league this year and manor won the championship

Both clubs putting in alot of effort and good work in the last number of years

Gortletteragh and ballinamore playing well all that's against them is numbers

It's hard to round up lads

But in general club hurling hasn't been this competitive in the county in years

Which should influx on the county team

You'd be surprised how many lads go for a puk about in a field or ball alley even of a winter's evening

LIATROIM ABU

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 04/01/2014 18:55:01    1527724

Link

Meeting regarding the future of hurling in Leitrim to take place tomorrow the 12th of January in Páirc Seán at 8 o clock. Seems like the county board want to make ends meet by getting rid of hurling in the county.

premiumrashers (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 12/01/2014 18:15:46    1530782

Link

What's going on isn't right.

I think croke park should be involved

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 13/01/2014 14:06:46    1531123

Link

Good turnout to represent our county team an heritage

The main thing is that today we still have hurling in leitrim

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 14/01/2014 12:40:30    1531553

Link

great news alot of clubs need to take hurling more seriously r der b same meetin held nxt yr..

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 195 - 14/01/2014 14:45:35    1531655

Link