Leitrim Forum

Hero's Of 94.

(Oldest Posts First)

Just want to start a discussion on the 94 team, its 25 years since we were connacht champions.
What a team they were.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 19/07/2019 11:01:44    2213084

Link

In hindsight Mulligan should never have started the Connacht final. He only joined the panel after finishing up Senior Infants in late June.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 19/07/2019 14:52:48    2213191

Link

Great memories, if you look at some clips of the games on YouTube you see a desperately poor standard of football, but far more kicking than you see now.
Leitrim nearly went the whole of the second half I think against Roscommon without scoring and still bet them
But who cares, the excitement and enjoyment of that summer will I think unfortunately never be repeated and the way the GAA have rigged the competition a team like Leitrim will never make the AI semi final again like Tipperary and Fermanagh did this century. Super eight nonsense has put paid to that.
The enjoyment of 1994 is tinged with the regret of what ifs in 1995. We could have got to the AI final and who knows what would have happened.

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 177 - 26/07/2019 13:13:31    2216748

Link

To beat Roscommon, Galway and Mayo was an unbelievable achievement. Leaders on every line of the team. It was a brilliant time to be following Leitrim. And the celebrations will live long in everyone's memory. LEITRIM Abù.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 28/07/2019 12:13:17    2217498

Link

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/national-sports/433475/leitrims-1994-trailblazers-i-salute-you.html

Class from Colin Regan.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 28/07/2019 20:18:31    2217817

Link

Replying To Thelonesomegoose:  "Great memories, if you look at some clips of the games on YouTube you see a desperately poor standard of football, but far more kicking than you see now.
Leitrim nearly went the whole of the second half I think against Roscommon without scoring and still bet them
But who cares, the excitement and enjoyment of that summer will I think unfortunately never be repeated and the way the GAA have rigged the competition a team like Leitrim will never make the AI semi final again like Tipperary and Fermanagh did this century. Super eight nonsense has put paid to that.
The enjoyment of 1994 is tinged with the regret of what ifs in 1995. We could have got to the AI final and who knows what would have happened."
If the qualifiers had existed in 1995 we might have got to that AI final. We'd have been well able for the Super Eights that year as well.

Agree with the standard of football then though. I was quite shocked when I saw a rerun of that Connacht final recently.

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 30 - 29/07/2019 10:31:20    2218021

Link

Lads, this was nearly 30 years ago. Leave it in the past. Focus on the future

Zucker (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 29/07/2019 11:40:53    2218080

Link

Replying To TheCartownBus2:  "If the qualifiers had existed in 1995 we might have got to that AI final. We'd have been well able for the Super Eights that year as well.

Agree with the standard of football then though. I was quite shocked when I saw a rerun of that Connacht final recently."
The standard of football was what is was at the time. This Leitrim team very brave and united to the end. Beating Rossies, Galway and Mayo no mean feat. Only difference today is much fitter players.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 29/07/2019 21:48:40    2218496

Link

Wonder would our current team beat the team of 94? Pace has moved on nowadays but the fake tan, hair gel and episodes of love island has made the current generation very soft.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 282 - 29/07/2019 22:03:56    2218507

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Wonder would our current team beat the team of 94? Pace has moved on nowadays but the fake tan, hair gel and episodes of love island has made the current generation very soft."
In some parallel universe they play these games! I think if the 94s had today's training and conditioning they'd win it alright, simply because most of them were better natural footballers, certainly throughout the spine of the team anyway. Without it however, today's lot would win handy enough.

I didn't know any of the Leitrim boys made it to Love Island! Must keep up.

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 30 - 30/07/2019 10:22:05    2218617

Link

Replying To Zucker:  "Lads, this was nearly 30 years ago. Leave it in the past. Focus on the future"
Some of the current players might appreciate the fact that we were on paper the best team in Connacht for at least the period between 1993-1995, the silverware doesn't reflect this of course, nothing stopping that happening again no matter what people say about funds and all of that.

Some of the current team saying we haven't a hope of winning anything would do well to look at the can do attitude of the 90s team in this regard.

Thelonesomegoose (Leitrim) - Posts: 177 - 30/07/2019 13:10:56    2218717

Link

Ah they were great days. The atmosphere at games was something else back then. All those aerosol fog horns made some din of noise. I was a teenager with a floppy haircut and a foghorn and a massive flag that day in the Hyde.
94 was a magical year. Riverdance, Rock n' Roll kids, World Cup 94 there was a great buzz that summer.
Then Leitrim were on a march to destiny. I met Tom Gannon that May as a teenager along the canal in Ballinamore. He told me I'd make it as a footballer and we'd win Connacht that year. One of his prophesies came true we won Connacht but I never made it as a footballer! I'm heading for 40 now and wondering if I will ever see another Connacht title.
I was in Pairc Sean for the Wicklow and Clare games and I seen a few faces I remember from 94. Mad to see how the years have tracked on and made those people older. God bless those people and all who are gone since.
Thanks to the players for the great memories and that my father a football fanatic got to see that day.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 220 - 30/07/2019 16:50:25    2218799

Link

Replying To Zucker:  "Lads, this was nearly 30 years ago. Leave it in the past. Focus on the future"
Zucker with all due respect we have won two connacht titles in our history, if we cant recall the great times that team brought us around the anniversary there is something wrong.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 31/07/2019 22:49:07    2219276

Link