Leitrim Forum

Two-Tier Championship Support

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "A Leitrim player might spend their entire career ie 10 years under a new tiered competition without playing a senior championship game. You'd have no one showing up to training. And interest would die off."
As I said ask the head coaches and ex head coaches their opinion. Surely the likes of head coach Guckian, Highland and Cox should have some input to the thing- maybe get opinions also of stronger counties like ourselves, The kerrys, the Dublins, the Mayos etc.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 02/05/2019 14:15:15    2181451

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "The second tier championship will happen. It will start of with good intentions but ultimately it will have the desired effect of the capitalist minded Croke Park big wigs in making the weaker counties go away. The current structures (32 counties - 2 senior teams (hurling/football) is a drain on resources so if you can convince counties there is no point partaking in a sport, more money is freed up. The Christy Ring Cup, the equivalent of the proposed second tier competition, really is a competition with no glamour. The U17s play before the senior all Ireland final and I am afraid that will be the same in football.
Interestingly Sky are going to show more football matches live than RTÉ over the first two months in this years championship. Is this another move to condition GAA folk into not ever expecting to see their county get covered live by RTÉ. We live in interesting times. Football can throw up far less excitement than hurling but it's crowds/participant numbers are higher so why is it now a no go area for RTÉ in the early stages of the championship?
Eventually the GAA will go professional, Dublin will be left as it is, with 9 more regional teams. Co or provincial boards won't vote to quickly for this change as it will render a lot of them redundant. This is what the hierarchy want. Their antipathy towards clubs, the lack of interest in pushing the rural depopulating with political figures when they have the best evidence available and in recent years their complete lack of empathy towards fundraising has made them a bit of a laughing stock and dinosaurs in their thinking. In ten years time we will be supporting Leitrim in a competition so alien to what we know now, dreams of ever replicating 1994 will be totally gone and I think the club scene could end up like the national scene in amalgamations bringing Leitrim back to about 18 clubs. Sad times ahead but I can't see how it can be any different, unless underneath the carpet of Sitka Spruce covering our county someone discovers a goldmine or a diamond mine and we create sustainable employment that keeps our young people at home but in its current state It is just unfathomable to see the structures as they are now prevailing to last another 20 years. I hope I am wrong but in a time of " Economics" outweighing all other values that the GAA use to stand for I don't think I will be."
I think you are probably right but I would welcome a championship where we had 16 'regions' compete for Sam. Imagine the quality of football and travelling to watch an amalgamated Longford/ Leitrim/ Roscommon team in croker? ( choose those counties as an example)

The Leitrim league and championship could be played and ran out quicker and the AI club championship would become more significant.

The provincial set up and all Ireland set up at Inter county football level is dull and boring. Outside of The all Ireland semi finals onward and the league structure as we know it inter county Football has lost all relevance. I can barely get excited about Leitrim V Roscommon anymore like I did 15 years ago purely because both teams know they are wasting their time in this current structure. I understand Roscommon are better that us.

None of this will ever happen but it would be provide a more competitive and entertaining sport.

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 02/05/2019 14:27:01    2181455

Link

Replying To Frawnci3:  "I think you are probably right but I would welcome a championship where we had 16 'regions' compete for Sam. Imagine the quality of football and travelling to watch an amalgamated Longford/ Leitrim/ Roscommon team in croker? ( choose those counties as an example)

The Leitrim league and championship could be played and ran out quicker and the AI club championship would become more significant.

The provincial set up and all Ireland set up at Inter county football level is dull and boring. Outside of The all Ireland semi finals onward and the league structure as we know it inter county Football has lost all relevance. I can barely get excited about Leitrim V Roscommon anymore like I did 15 years ago purely because both teams know they are wasting their time in this current structure. I understand Roscommon are better that us.

None of this will ever happen but it would be provide a more competitive and entertaining sport."
And having to cheer your 'home' team playing all their home games in Hyde Park. Not for me for me. There is already a regional competition and that is the current all Ireland championship

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 02/05/2019 15:56:48    2181481

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "A Leitrim player might spend their entire career ie 10 years under a new tiered competition without playing a senior championship game. You'd have no one showing up to training. And interest would die off."
Sure no current Eslin player has played senior club football. Does this effect the interest in playing in an intermediate or Junior championship? By all accounts the are roaring in training.

bugsie (Leitrim) - Posts: 178 - 02/05/2019 15:57:50    2181483

Link

Touché. Bugsie.

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 29 - 03/05/2019 09:45:24    2181583

Link

Replying To bugsie:  "Sure no current Eslin player has played senior club football. Does this effect the interest in playing in an intermediate or Junior championship? By all accounts the are roaring in training."
It doesn't affect them because they aren't training under professional like conditions. Are you really thinking you'll have 30 lads out four/five nights a week in October if they are playing junior county football baggie? It won't happen

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 03/05/2019 10:10:54    2181590

Link

Replying To Frawnci3:  "I think you are probably right but I would welcome a championship where we had 16 'regions' compete for Sam. Imagine the quality of football and travelling to watch an amalgamated Longford/ Leitrim/ Roscommon team in croker? ( choose those counties as an example)

None of this will ever happen but it would be provide a more competitive and entertaining sport."
I disagree, the only difference between Leitrim and Roscommon at the moment is money and better resources... in this day and age it matters. Young lads playing county football don't work local no more. Until the inbalance between the haves and haves nots are addressed, the GAA is going nowhere and only becoming more elitist. The forefathers of the GAA would be rolling in their graves. But shur as long as the GPA and Paul Flynn (aka the Dubs) are happy, all's grand eh? It sickens me to my core. Lets not go the way of Rugby and Soccer where no one plays unless theres a few pound to be had...

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 03/05/2019 15:53:30    2181700

Link

The County Board have requested Clubs to discuss the 2 options for a 2nd Tier Championship and report back. It's a choice of playing Championship football until eliminated in the Qualifiers & progressing to 2 nd Tier or not competing in Qualifiers after elimination from Provincial Championship . First option means more games available and would be preferred choice of players. Leitrim spend over €100,000. In preparing and maintaining Senior team to play 1 possibly 2 FBD games, six League games squeezed into the worst 2 months of the year weather wise, 2 Championship games and possibly a third. A total of 10 Inter County games between January and June. No wonder Soccer & Rugby are increasingly attractive to young players who have more game time at a higher level. While Club football is the bedrock of the GAA County teams attract the biggest crowds. National League should be on a home & away basis in September/October with a break to February. Most Counties are out of the All Ireland series by July having trained from the previous November.The National League with its tiered Divisions is much more competitive than the current Provincial Championship and more games would find favour with the public although the recent campaign had reduced numbers which is a mystery to be as there were very exciting games across all Divisions.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 04/05/2019 15:51:25    2181830

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "I disagree, the only difference between Leitrim and Roscommon at the moment is money and better resources... in this day and age it matters. Young lads playing county football don't work local no more. Until the inbalance between the haves and haves nots are addressed, the GAA is going nowhere and only becoming more elitist. The forefathers of the GAA would be rolling in their graves. But shur as long as the GPA and Paul Flynn (aka the Dubs) are happy, all's grand eh? It sickens me to my core. Lets not go the way of Rugby and Soccer where no one plays unless theres a few pound to be had..."
The forefathers of the GAA lived in the 19th century, The structures that were relevant then are not now, Provincial knock out championships were necessary because travelling significant distances was both difficult and expensive. That is certainly not the case now. Nor are the huge population differences that exist now.

The imbalance between the haves and have nots? What do you expect the GAA to do? It can't change the fact that Dublin has nearly a third of the population of the country and the likes of ourselves have about 30,000. If we want to keep the county structure intact within the GAA then radical changes have to be made in terms of creating genuine competitive competitions.

Oh and tens and thousands of people play Soccer and Rugby in Ireland without getting a penny, over 99.9% I'd say of the people playing those games.

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 29 - 07/05/2019 11:23:47    2182259

Link

A two-tier system will benefit counties like ourselves I believe, I would say the majority of supporters were more happy to see us in a division 4 final and a day out in croker than the usual out of connacht and one possibly two qualifier wins.

As other posters have said though it only papers over the cracks of the real issue and that is there are only around 6 or so teams who have a realistic shot at winning an all-ireland if the Dublin juggernaut loses steam in the coming years (which it won't because the GAA whether intentionally or not have designed it so).

The real problem is bridging the gap to these teams, whether they've streaked ahead by GAA funding, private funding or sheer love of the game and volunteerism as our Uachtaran would have us believe is a matter of opinion really but until the gap between the real top table and the middle ground is addressed , a two tier championship will only serve those like ourselves who are winning one or two championship games every year.

Highandmighty (Leitrim) - Posts: 23 - 16/07/2019 22:00:20    2212108

Link