Leitrim Forum

Bring Back The Old Leitrim Crest

(Oldest Posts First)

Ok so it might be just me but I hate the Leitrim crest currently in use. It looks like the winner of a credit union colouring competition for national school kids in my opinion.

I loved the old crest before this one but Leitrim gaa wanted to change it because it was the county council crest they were using and they wanted their own one. What was wrong with it. I even love the old Leitrim coat of arms crest that was used as well. I love me jersey with the county council crest with the lion on it and the teams that went with it through the Dessie Dolan era - great times. The new one is ridiculous.

We should either go with the old county council crest or the leitrim coat of arms crest and ditch the new design- anyone agree??

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 04/08/2018 10:26:02    2128882

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Ok so it might be just me but I hate the Leitrim crest currently in use. It looks like the winner of a credit union colouring competition for national school kids in my opinion.

I loved the old crest before this one but Leitrim gaa wanted to change it because it was the county council crest they were using and they wanted their own one. What was wrong with it. I even love the old Leitrim coat of arms crest that was used as well. I love me jersey with the county council crest with the lion on it and the teams that went with it through the Dessie Dolan era - great times. The new one is ridiculous.

We should either go with the old county council crest or the leitrim coat of arms crest and ditch the new design- anyone agree??"
I agree. And bring back the hoop on the jersey. Similar to the donegal away Jersey. Dont like the current one.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 04/08/2018 12:40:07    2128907

Link

Replying To 3rdmidfielder:  "I agree. And bring back the hoop on the jersey. Similar to the donegal away Jersey. Dont like the current one."
Would presume its all to do with copyright infringments these days. If they were to use the county council logo technically the county council could look for proceeds from any jersey sales etc

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 05/08/2018 08:29:33    2129214

Link

I don't mind it although I do remember someone commenting on here before that Glencar waterfall looked more like a volcano erupting (which is all I see when I look at it now!)

Maybe a slogan or saying around it like Wexfords "Le croí agus lámh" would bolster it up a bit.

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 70 - 09/08/2018 12:19:17    2131178

Link

The reason they did the new crest, same as in Cavan, is that they can copyright the new one so that no one else can start making jerseys or flags with the new crest on it without breeching copyright and then having to pay the county board. The old county council crests are not copyrighted so can be re-produced by anyone.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1229 - 10/08/2018 08:26:39    2131428

Link

Agreed I detest it too. It looks like it was done in MS Paint in 1995 on WIndows 3.1.
As someone with a small bit of graphic design experience I could easily do better in 20 minutes in Photoshop or Illustrator.
Most counties have modern designed crests. Even my club has a nicer one done by a local girl.
But its typical Leitrim. Half hearted, ah sher it'll do toppin type of thing.

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 106 - 16/08/2018 14:24:58    2133851

Link

I love it!! Nothing half hearted about it at all.... compares very well with other County efforts in my opinion

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 17/08/2018 12:05:53    2134034

Link

Ara sure look it, tis all about getting the revenue in these days - the lads should cash in on the auld retro phase that seems to be going on and have two kits for the championship. The old one will have the good auld Bush Hotel sponsirs on it and the new one should have these new York bar boyos. If its good enough for the NFL soft lads its good enough for the GAA

WaitingInTheLongGrass (Roscommon) - Posts: 165 - 16/10/2018 16:39:26    2146829

Link