Galway Forum

Intermediate Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MeAlone:  "I would say neither team is celebrating going Senior yet. Full concentration on winning the final is all they will be thinking about. Should be a good match but Oughterard seem to be peaking at right time."
That's the spirit, I doubt if serious footballers are going on the piss for days a week out from a County Final. Both Clubs have 2 if not 3 players capable of playing to Inter County standard which is more than most of the current Senior clubs can lay claim to !!!

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 25/09/2019 19:22:49    2239199

Link

Fearrua would you classify both teams as up and coming? Maybe oughterard who haven't played senior for over a decade but MB? Experienced campaigners at senior level. The old dog for the old road? No doubt it will add to the occasion and looking forward to a game of the same quality they both gave us earlier in the campaign.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 220 - 26/09/2019 19:48:02    2239452

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "Fearrua would you classify both teams as up and coming? Maybe oughterard who haven't played senior for over a decade but MB? Experienced campaigners at senior level. The old dog for the old road? No doubt it will add to the occasion and looking forward to a game of the same quality they both gave us earlier in the campaign."
From what I can see both teams are well seasoned but with a sprinkling of fresh young talent, hopefully the weather will hold up and the pitch stays good. That being the case I expect a tough tight encounter, either way both teams deserve to be promoted based on the quality of their Championship football to date, Sunday is for the gravy!!!

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 01/10/2019 14:54:27    2240660

Link

Actually the more I think about it the more the likelihood of a draw looms closer, how about a double of Intermediate (replay) and Senior finals in 2 weeks time ?

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 03/10/2019 13:24:18    2241149

Link

Yes wholeheartedly agree. Its to close to call and the bookies are way off putting Oughterard as warm favourites. Draw or MB by 2.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 220 - 03/10/2019 17:55:10    2241198

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "Actually the more I think about it the more the likelihood of a draw looms closer, how about a double of Intermediate (replay) and Senior finals in 2 weeks time ?"
Senior final will probably be paired with the Minor A county final (Salthill-Knocknacarra v Claregalway/Caltra) . But an Intermediate and Senior double wouldn't be a bad idea

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 76 - 03/10/2019 21:45:55    2241248

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "From what I can see both teams are well seasoned but with a sprinkling of fresh young talent, hopefully the weather will hold up and the pitch stays good. That being the case I expect a tough tight encounter, either way both teams deserve to be promoted based on the quality of their Championship football to date, Sunday is for the gravy!!!"
Maybe, but MB have lost a few of the old guard recently who have soldiered with them for years. This MB team is actually a young enough team.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 289 - 04/10/2019 09:26:02    2241278

Link

Replying To fearruanua:  "Maybe, but MB have lost a few of the old guard recently who have soldiered with them for years. This MB team is actually a young enough team."
They breed them tough back in Inverin, must be a Connemara coastal thing !!!

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 04/10/2019 22:10:26    2241423

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "From what I can see both teams are well seasoned but with a sprinkling of fresh young talent, hopefully the weather will hold up and the pitch stays good. That being the case I expect a tough tight encounter, either way both teams deserve to be promoted based on the quality of their Championship football to date, Sunday is for the gravy!!!"
Who wins wins the other.... senior by default, 1 up 1 down should always be the way

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 05/10/2019 09:27:18    2241454

Link

Replying To dontlookback:  "Actually the more I think about it the more the likelihood of a draw looms closer, how about a double of Intermediate (replay) and Senior finals in 2 weeks time ?"
That's what we got last year. It's a definite possibility again. I expect a very tight game.
As was mentioned, MB have brought in a few younger lads this year and Oughterard also have a some very promising young players. With the pressure of promotion off both teams, let's hope it leads to a free-flowing game of football.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 565 - 05/10/2019 11:37:03    2241477

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Who wins wins the other.... senior by default, 1 up 1 down should always be the way"
Disagree, there are half a dozen Intermediate teams capable of playing senior championship football, equally there are half a dozen senior clubs playing intermediate championship football. A 16 team Senior & Intermediate Championship with 2 up 2 down every year would, I believe, improve the standard of football at all levels in the County, including Junior !!!

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 05/10/2019 18:05:27    2241501

Link

Complete nonsense. The standard of club football is continuing to fall due to Corofin s dominance. Poor teams bring average/better teams down to there level, contaminating and diluting the standard. We should be creating a division that will up the standards , a highly competitive 12.

County board should have continued to reduce senior championship to 12 but what do they do due to club pressure allow 2 finalists in intermediate championship up adding to the cosy lower tier thinking of senior football in Galway " just hang in there and stay up"

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 05/10/2019 19:12:41    2241515

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Complete nonsense. The standard of club football is continuing to fall due to Corofin s dominance. Poor teams bring average/better teams down to there level, contaminating and diluting the standard. We should be creating a division that will up the standards , a highly competitive 12.

County board should have continued to reduce senior championship to 12 but what do they do due to club pressure allow 2 finalists in intermediate championship up adding to the cosy lower tier thinking of senior football in Galway " just hang in there and stay up""
Rubbish talk. Mountbellew, SK, Annaghdown etc would all be in the top 12 and Corofin have beaten all of them with relative comfort over the past few years. Corofin are the best team in Ireland by a mile over the past two years, Mountbellew were the closest team to them in the country don't mind the county last year so your argument that the standard of club football in Galway is nonsense.

All reducing the number of senior teams is going to do is reduce morale for players and people involved in the clubs relegated. Senior A Senior B is possibly the way forward (mirroring the hurling idea) if you want constant competitive games.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 76 - 05/10/2019 20:20:43    2241530

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Complete nonsense. The standard of club football is continuing to fall due to Corofin s dominance. Poor teams bring average/better teams down to there level, contaminating and diluting the standard. We should be creating a division that will up the standards , a highly competitive 12.

County board should have continued to reduce senior championship to 12 but what do they do due to club pressure allow 2 finalists in intermediate championship up adding to the cosy lower tier thinking of senior football in Galway " just hang in there and stay up""
Utter nonsense, as another person has said, Mountbellew/Moylough gave Corofin the biggest threat last year and Annaghdown the year before I believe it was, but for a dubious refereeing decision, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
A county the size of Galway needs a 16 team Senior Championship, no more no less. It makes a simple 4 x 4 round robin system work perfectly & would simplify the club calendar. And yes 2 up 2 down would give a much better appetite for all clubs on the precipice of promotion or relegation.

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 06/10/2019 00:05:31    2241555

Link

I told you so !!!!!

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 06/10/2019 17:55:11    2241630

Link

I dont think the winning margin in the semi final helped oughterard. I think they thought they just had to show up to collect the cup and it only occurred to them in the second half that they had competition. Great second half. Ref bottled it in the end it was a clear penalty to oughterard and he threw it up . Breathnachs had a free and all they had to do was keep ball but they coughed up possession silly decision by the free taker. Draw was the best result no team deserved to lose. Tierneys point at the end was fantastic. He played well but quiet by his standards and that's why I'd fancy oughterard in the replay

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 976 - 06/10/2019 19:05:18    2241643

Link

Yes and I said MB by 2 but Oughterard just wouldn't lie down. Super second half of football by both teams. Great stuff all to play for in the reply.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 220 - 06/10/2019 20:10:09    2241656

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I dont think the winning margin in the semi final helped oughterard. I think they thought they just had to show up to collect the cup and it only occurred to them in the second half that they had competition. Great second half. Ref bottled it in the end it was a clear penalty to oughterard and he threw it up . Breathnachs had a free and all they had to do was keep ball but they coughed up possession silly decision by the free taker. Draw was the best result no team deserved to lose. Tierneys point at the end was fantastic. He played well but quiet by his standards and that's why I'd fancy oughterard in the replay"
100% agree

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 07/10/2019 08:06:38    2241700

Link