Galway Forum

Galway v Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think we should focus on our next game and forget about all Ireland semis!

While I was hugely encouraged on Sunday we certainly have defensive issues to address and with our championship record over the last 15 years we can't be getting ahead of ourselves!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 14/06/2017 22:26:11    1999756

Link

Replying To littlevillage:  "Great win on Sunday. congrats to players and Mgmt.

Very proud of MOTM Damien Comer (a local lad from down here) threw his not inconsiderable bulk around to great effect.
Couple of other lads that stood out for me Gary O'Donnell, Gareth Bradshaw, (Brian?) Silke, Declan Kyne and of course Heaney saved our bacon with a great double save. Shane Walsh was well marshalled, but is a class act if he gets a half a yard.

We won by a single point, but thats a big difference than losing by a point. (Ask Mayo !!!). We will improve on this outing (remember Mayo already played Sligo a few weeks ago) and must be super confident now of beating Roscommon/Leitrim in the Connaught final.

After that, its hard to know, the big two are still beyond us (Dublin, Kerry), but anybody else will not want to play the Maroon & White. It looks like Kerry in a semi Final will be our Waterloo :-(

There's some talk that we could end up playing Mayo again in an All Ireland SF....I think, that's fanciful talk from Mayo people, they are clearly on a downward spiral now and need a few lucky draws in the qualifers or their summer will be over very quickly"
i dont want to get ahead of ourselves either but saying kerry or dublin are beyond us is defeatist talk....would mayo talk that way? they can draw and push these teams to one point cant we conceivably? need to take it a game at a time with a connacht final

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 596 - 14/06/2017 23:35:33    1999775

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "i dont want to get ahead of ourselves either but saying kerry or dublin are beyond us is defeatist talk....would mayo talk that way? they can draw and push these teams to one point cant we conceivably? need to take it a game at a time with a connacht final"
U are right. These players have All Ireland potential and by the time they meet a Dublin or Kerry hopefully they will have developed to that level. However we are certainly not there yet and we need to focus (which I don't doubt KW will do) on the next game or else we might never get to test ourselves against the a fore mentioned teams.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 15/06/2017 10:43:58    1999865

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "U are right. These players have All Ireland potential and by the time they meet a Dublin or Kerry hopefully they will have developed to that level. However we are certainly not there yet and we need to focus (which I don't doubt KW will do) on the next game or else we might never get to test ourselves against the a fore mentioned teams."
When and where did this current squad display all-ireland potential Mayoman? I must have missed that. They are an outstanding squad, in that they are applying themselves and delivering of their best, and they could be heading to an all-ireland q-final in July as a div1 team, and back to back Connacht champs, but all-ireland potential, I haven't seen it yet myself. Then again, I didn't see it in '98 either, until we ripped Derry in the semi-final. Still, you can't look at our current defensive roster, and say all-ireland potential, can you?

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2326 - 15/06/2017 11:42:54    1999886

Link

Congrats to team and manager on a very good result. I have watched it a few times now, and I think it is fair to say we were very Lucky.
We are an improved team and it is clear we are now on par with Mayo it terms of strength on the ball and the general rough and tumble. Comer, Walsh, Sice and Daly are very dangerous forwards, who can go on to great things. I have to say the back line is shaky looking. Mayo's very first attack could have easily resulted in a goal. Rochford has done a good job improving the kick passing of his team, like he did with Corofin, and COC and AM had the beating of their men almost every time. Even with their best defender gone off, and Boyle on the bench, we never really got through for a real goal chance. So there is still much work to be done..

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 986 - 15/06/2017 11:43:46    1999887

Link

Nobody really is getting ahead of themselves. We have developed a steel a resilience lacking in previous Galway teams where we may have had good footballers but lacked a cutting edge. Our defence if you remember was outstanding all through Connacht last season. One major blip brought the house down. While last Sunday was shaky at times obviously KW is tweaking the system and surely he knows better than any of us. The beauty is that the national media are more focused on why Mayo lost as opposed to where Galway are at. As if the top 3 or 4 teams will remain so until the end of time. I mean the indo rankings and HS rankings have Tyrone at no.3. and they got no further than us last season so it is all subjective i guess. I think our slow upwards curve continues with the hope that we progress further than last season. Who knows beyond that.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1657 - 15/06/2017 15:21:43    1999982

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "When and where did this current squad display all-ireland potential Mayoman? I must have missed that. They are an outstanding squad, in that they are applying themselves and delivering of their best, and they could be heading to an all-ireland q-final in July as a div1 team, and back to back Connacht champs, but all-ireland potential, I haven't seen it yet myself. Then again, I didn't see it in '98 either, until we ripped Derry in the semi-final. Still, you can't look at our current defensive roster, and say all-ireland potential, can you?"
could you look at mayo forwards and say all ire potential? i think not and yet on that door they do knock....
if you dont believe fully you can win then you cant when the chips are down....win the connacht title first step and then be brave enough to say we can take on all comers....ffs mulholland gave kerry a shock few years back with no real structure or prep (as compared to now)

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 596 - 15/06/2017 15:25:08    1999987

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "Fair play to the team on Sunday...I didn't expect them to win and whilst many of my fears over their weaknesses remain, I will admit they are a gutsy group if somewhat error prone perhaps.
I'll refrain from being too critical of their performance on the day but one thing concerned me greatly which few have alluded to and that is what happened in the lead up to half time. What on earth were Galway up to after Higgins got sent off and in the ensuing 12/13 minutes when we completely stood off Mayo on all their kickouts? We allowed them cheap access to possession when we had a gale force wind behind us and an extra man...why?? When we had an extra man and 12/13 minutes left with a strong wind behind us the team should have gone after Mayo whilst instead we had Mayo nonchalantly playing down time and sauntering up the field for a couple of points. It was that period that nearly cost us the game! Was it lack of leadership by the team or the management on the sideline not capable of reacting to the situation on the ground? Whichever, it is another aspect of the team that causes concern..."
100% Agree, there needs to be more in game management form the players

west101 (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 15/06/2017 16:14:58    2000011

Link

Really enjoyed the win on Sunday. I was in the stand surrounded by Mayo supporters. They booed, they verbally abused the Galway players,they gave out to the ref ,the linesmen and complained about any decision that went against them.
If Mayo scored, the one in front of me clapped in my face and same again if we had a wide. Anyhow it was a great win against our old foes and of course I wish them the very best of luck OUT the back door.
Plenty to work on but a lot of positives. This team look like they have a strong bond between them and KW and his backroom staff need to be praised.
For me after looking back at the game and I thought the same on the day, Bradshaw would be my man of the match. He covered every blade of grass and was well able for c.o connors antics. That man did himself no favours last Sunday and was totally responsible for Flynn's card ,instead of having received a card himself.

westsidestory (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 15/06/2017 17:16:58    2000040

Link

I've read all of this thread, and the one on the National board too. I've read every newspaper article and listened to every match report from Sunday.

The feeling I'm still getting the most is pride. Pride in my county for stepping up again and digging deep, playing good football, giving good healthy belts & when the match was won, not losing the run of themselves & speaking with grace and dignity. Here's to a good summer for both the footballers & the hurlers. And indeed anyone putting on our maroon jersey regardless of age or code.

There's pride in Galway & I thank you all for it.

Wests_Awake (Galway) - Posts: 877 - 15/06/2017 17:17:11    2000041

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "Congrats to team and manager on a very good result. I have watched it a few times now, and I think it is fair to say we were very Lucky.
We are an improved team and it is clear we are now on par with Mayo it terms of strength on the ball and the general rough and tumble. Comer, Walsh, Sice and Daly are very dangerous forwards, who can go on to great things. I have to say the back line is shaky looking. Mayo's very first attack could have easily resulted in a goal. Rochford has done a good job improving the kick passing of his team, like he did with Corofin, and COC and AM had the beating of their men almost every time. Even with their best defender gone off, and Boyle on the bench, we never really got through for a real goal chance. So there is still much work to be done.."
We were lucky but if we lost it would've been because of really silly mistakes we made not because we're not a good team. Though AM was kept quiet by Sweeney until he was moved off him. We were also lucky Rochford took him off when he did he because once Sweeney was switched he won a lot more ball and got a great point.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1076 - 15/06/2017 18:40:21    2000070

Link

Replying To Wests_Awake:  "I've read all of this thread, and the one on the National board too. I've read every newspaper article and listened to every match report from Sunday.

The feeling I'm still getting the most is pride. Pride in my county for stepping up again and digging deep, playing good football, giving good healthy belts & when the match was won, not losing the run of themselves & speaking with grace and dignity. Here's to a good summer for both the footballers & the hurlers. And indeed anyone putting on our maroon jersey regardless of age or code.

There's pride in Galway & I thank you all for it."
My favourite part of all the coverage I saw was sean Armstrong's post match interview. He was just so happy to be a part of it, from a man who had once become fed up with playing for his county. Says a lot for the atmosphere amongst the squad

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1076 - 15/06/2017 18:46:39    2000076

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "When and where did this current squad display all-ireland potential Mayoman? I must have missed that. They are an outstanding squad, in that they are applying themselves and delivering of their best, and they could be heading to an all-ireland q-final in July as a div1 team, and back to back Connacht champs, but all-ireland potential, I haven't seen it yet myself. Then again, I didn't see it in '98 either, until we ripped Derry in the semi-final. Still, you can't look at our current defensive roster, and say all-ireland potential, can you?"
Pope, Possible u didn't get the undercurrent of my post, i.e. we are not there yet lads calm down and focus on the next game (which I think u will agree with).

However to reply directly to ur question Galway have shown in patches that they have some outstanding players, as good as anything out there with the exception of the top 2. That is called potential. It does not mean we are as good as those teams or would beat them. Just potential. Long way from winning an All Ireland but yes there have been patches of class skill/ability.........patches of rubbish too.

But apart from that refer to my first line....next game lads!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1117 - 16/06/2017 08:49:53    2000210

Link

Any idea where final will be played?? Will it be Pearse Stadium or will we have to travel to Hyde Park or Carrick??

daskip89 (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 16/06/2017 09:49:17    2000226

Link

Replying To daskip89:  "Any idea where final will be played?? Will it be Pearse Stadium or will we have to travel to Hyde Park or Carrick??"
Definitely will in the stadium. Played the Rossies in Castlebar last year as the Hyde couldn't host the game. So it's Galway's turn again. I believe we played Leitrim in Carrick on Shannon last time we played them. Although I'm struggling to remember that game to be honest.

tribescity (Galway) - Posts: 252 - 16/06/2017 11:56:13    2000278

Link

Replying To tribescity:  "Definitely will in the stadium. Played the Rossies in Castlebar last year as the Hyde couldn't host the game. So it's Galway's turn again. I believe we played Leitrim in Carrick on Shannon last time we played them. Although I'm struggling to remember that game to be honest."
If it is Roscommon game is Galway venue. If it is Leitrim it is a neutral venue as Galway have no agreements with Sligo or Leitrim with regard to Connacht senior finals. If Leitrim it would most likely be "The Hyde"

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 341 - 16/06/2017 19:20:28    2000468

Link

Replying To mkeary5:  "and in turn are taking the chance of not being at their level best at the early stage of the season

are you off your rocker??? nothing was left to chance yesterday neither is it by any team in the country when it comes to championship regardless of who the opposition are or what round it is in, be it provincial or qualifiers. obviously teams progress as the championship goes on but to say that a county team or even a club team for that matter would be holding anything back tactical or otherwise in a game of this magnitude is just ridiculous"
Yep my thinking was as crazy that Waterford,Mayo possibly Tipperary peak for August rather than early May with the safety of the back door.

Galway would be destroyed by Mayo at this moment in time as would most of the other counties outside the top 4

Cork hurlers went all in from the very start and look where they are now

west101 (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 21/08/2017 11:13:13    2035893

Link

Replying To west101:  "
Replying To mkeary5:  "and in turn are taking the chance of not being at their level best at the early stage of the season

are you off your rocker??? nothing was left to chance yesterday neither is it by any team in the country when it comes to championship regardless of who the opposition are or what round it is in, be it provincial or qualifiers. obviously teams progress as the championship goes on but to say that a county team or even a club team for that matter would be holding anything back tactical or otherwise in a game of this magnitude is just ridiculous"
Yep my thinking was as crazy that Waterford,Mayo possibly Tipperary peak for August rather than early May with the safety of the back door.

Galway would be destroyed by Mayo at this moment in time as would most of the other counties outside the top 4

Cork hurlers went all in from the very start and look where they are now"
It was obvious to me last season, when Mayo went to a draw and replay with Dublin in a final, that they hadn't been at the races in June. They've pulled the same stunt this year. Keegan & A.O'Shea haven't managed to throw a leg against Galway in the last two championship clashes between the sides, so we've probably been lucky with regard to their physical state on those occasions. They brushed aside Tipp last season in a fairly businesslike manner, a few weeks after we'd been destroyed by the same side, which was another clear indicator on form line.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2326 - 21/08/2017 12:15:38    2035950

Link

look lads, beating Mayo in 2016 and 2017 was good for us. No excuse for losing Connacht Final in 2017, we had time to prepare, same goes for the 2 horrendous quarterfinals against Tipp n Kerry. I would take a win in Castlebar or anywhere in 2018 as a step in the right direction. Interesting year lies ahead for Galway. Roscommon tried to peak for c'ship, did not end well either.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1331 - 22/08/2017 12:42:51    2036357

Link