USA Forum

NY GAA 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Is it me or have the games been much better since all the Summer players disappeared? Good games all weekend with virtually all home based teams and decent crowd. Seems to actually mean something to the clubs now rather than the mercenaries. Two of the four games over weekend going to extra time.
Going to be three good finals with honestly nothing between any of the teams left. Would be a brave man to pick winners in each division but will give it a shot.
Junion B - Offaly to keep their amazing winning streak going. Rumors are that they are actually planning to train one night this week.
Junior A - Cork's experience to beat Rocklands youth
Intermediate - Sligo get a hesitant vote but both Brooklyn and Longford looked impressive yesterday

GPlifer (USA) - 02/10/2017 13:57:20    2052391

Link

Have to agree GPlifer the games yesterday were great viewing. That intermediate semi final between longford and brooklyn was one of the best and most exciting games I have seen in the park in a long time both teams threw everything but the kitchen sink at it and were completely out on their feet at the final whistle. It was like a heavy weight scrap and for the neutral no team deserved to lose. I hear the replay is next sunday and the final being pushed back another week until October 15th. It really is too hard to call who will prevail between them two but i do think whoever wins that will win the final because these two competitive games i think will bring longford and brooklyn on no end. These two teams have served up some classics over the past few years and no doubt next sunday will be close again. I agree Offaly for Junior B and Cork for Junior A.

Patsy1916 (USA) - 02/10/2017 14:43:22    2052422

Link

Looking forward to tomorrow's games. Should be another great day in the park.
Rangers will have there hands full with a very experienced Ofally.
I still pick Rockland over Cork
Brooklyn will prevail over Longford.
Is it me but I think games this year were a struggle but more enjoyable since the new rules came in last year basically banning county players and reducing transfers.
Anyway looking forward to tomorrow

Crossgaa (Mayo) - 07/10/2017 13:11:02    2053720

Link

Going back to last weeks points - more great close exciting games this weekend. Think that the GAA needs to take a close look at what is happening and bring back home based teams. If this means teams have to fold then so be it but there has been much more excitement, much more passion and much more interest from the crowds since the mercenaries left town. Three more good games Sunday and well done to Rangers and Longford but what a shambles at the end of junior final. Video doing the rounds everywhere showing clearly buzzer had gone before ball punched to net. From what I was told by a Cork player referee told both team managers goal was disallowed and somehow five minutes later after more consultation goal was allowed. Really not good enough at this stage of a season.

GPlifer (USA) - 10/10/2017 13:57:18    2054404

Link

Replying To GPlifer:  "Going back to last weeks points - more great close exciting games this weekend. Think that the GAA needs to take a close look at what is happening and bring back home based teams. If this means teams have to fold then so be it but there has been much more excitement, much more passion and much more interest from the crowds since the mercenaries left town. Three more good games Sunday and well done to Rangers and Longford but what a shambles at the end of junior final. Video doing the rounds everywhere showing clearly buzzer had gone before ball punched to net. From what I was told by a Cork player referee told both team managers goal was disallowed and somehow five minutes later after more consultation goal was allowed. Really not good enough at this stage of a season."
Was this goal scored in extra time due to a tie at full time?

Gaa Fan (USA) - 10/10/2017 15:12:48    2054443

Link

Replying To GPlifer:  "Going back to last weeks points - more great close exciting games this weekend. Think that the GAA needs to take a close look at what is happening and bring back home based teams. If this means teams have to fold then so be it but there has been much more excitement, much more passion and much more interest from the crowds since the mercenaries left town. Three more good games Sunday and well done to Rangers and Longford but what a shambles at the end of junior final. Video doing the rounds everywhere showing clearly buzzer had gone before ball punched to net. From what I was told by a Cork player referee told both team managers goal was disallowed and somehow five minutes later after more consultation goal was allowed. Really not good enough at this stage of a season."
maybe the consultation included the fact that an ex cork player reffed their semi final last weekend and made a number of outrageous decisions. always comes back to haunt you.

NYCcavanman (USA) - 10/10/2017 22:15:55    2054533

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "maybe the consultation included the fact that an ex cork player reffed their semi final last weekend and made a number of outrageous decisions. always comes back to haunt you."
Cork can only blame themselves being up 6 points with a minute left. Replay is set for next Sunday. Rockland will have momentum going into this game and should overcome this Cork team. Same referee should get the job again.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - 11/10/2017 11:18:52    2054599

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Was this goal scored in extra time due to a tie at full time?"
Don't think thats true.... he was never good enough to have played with Cork!! He looked like he got bullied a bit by the Cork team. Thankless job though.

WestsideWarrior (Galway) - 12/10/2017 14:21:09    2054868

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Cork can only blame themselves being up 6 points with a minute left. Replay is set for next Sunday. Rockland will have momentum going into this game and should overcome this Cork team. Same referee should get the job again."
There wasn't much in the league game between them at the start of the year and it turned that way again. Corks old legs wilt a little towards the end of games if this game and the semi against Manhattan Gaels is anything to go by. Rockland will be up for this one but I'll still go with Corks experience to get them over the line

WestsideWarrior (Galway) - 12/10/2017 14:24:07    2054869

Link

What's going in the Galway intermediate championship - looks like a player played illegally over here in a championship game ? Thought that was stopped?

NewYorkSham (USA) - 31/10/2017 19:33:36    2059365

Link

Replying To NewYorkSham:  "What's going in the Galway intermediate championship - looks like a player played illegally over here in a championship game ? Thought that was stopped?"
What are you on about here. I'm lost

Crossgaa (Mayo) - 04/11/2017 14:31:35    2060427

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "What are you on about here. I'm lost"
It's all over the Galway forum and it was even discussed in the national forum. But look like the county final was played at the weekend so it must have been resolved

NewYorkSham (USA) - 07/11/2017 16:55:44    2061039

Link

Taken from the article on USA-Canada main page:

USGAA Convention
2 motions passed. The first mandates that men's junior teams field a minimum of 2 players who have come through the youth systems. This motion also contains a provision that in 2020 the same mandate will apply to men's senior football clubs.

Should New York move in the same direction of requiring clubs to field homegrown players?

TheDigger (USA) - 15/11/2017 14:14:06    2062477

Link

NY GAA nominations were last night with o host of positions being challenged for. This can only be a healthy situation for 2018 season.

Many changes are needed to ensure the the GAA stays alive.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - 17/11/2017 13:25:05    2062867

Link

Any talk surrounding the NY county team back in training for 2018? Any new faces? I see that Danny Suttcliffe has left the panel and with Brian Gallagher already moved home that is a massive two losses around the middle of the park. I imagine there will be very few of the 2016 panel left in NY at this stage although management over this past two years seemed to have been able to work very well with what they got so hopefully with the same management team in place they can assemble a squad to compete with Leitrim who have been struggling of late.

Patsy1916 (USA) - 20/11/2017 16:27:54    2063103

Link

I hear a lot of positions are being contested on sunday,
it will be good to see some new blood on the board as the football and hurling has gone backwards the last few years. the paid for new york team have been papering over the cracks.

totm (Dublin) - 01/12/2017 18:03:00    2064237

Link

Replying To totm:  "I hear a lot of positions are being contested on sunday,
it will be good to see some new blood on the board as the football and hurling has gone backwards the last few years. the paid for new york team have been papering over the cracks."
New blood didn't get a win yesterday but came close in a few positions.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - 04/12/2017 12:14:47    2064376

Link

I have never seen so many positions been voted on in years. Very surprised a few new people did not get in. That's democracy clubs voted everything going down hill gaa wise in this town. So when clubs complain you will have to look at yourselfs.
Will be a interesting year 2018 let's see if the current county board take anything in as a lot of clubs are not happy right now.

totm (Dublin) - 05/12/2017 03:08:08    2064442

Link

Great to see NY being part of the Sergion college competition. But why does the video show the North American team and not a NY team? NY is it's own board and the NY minor board was affiliated with Croke Park before the NY senior board ever was

NYbornCeltic (USA) - 09/12/2017 12:41:13    2064738

Link

Replying To NYbornCeltic:  "Great to see NY being part of the Sergion college competition. But why does the video show the North American team and not a NY team? NY is it's own board and the NY minor board was affiliated with Croke Park before the NY senior board ever was"
This great for the American born players but how are they going to do Sigerson and the Padie O Shea tournament at end of Feb. Will the older players who are not in college represent NY in Kerry. NY Minor Board are really leading the way. Fair play to them.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - 09/12/2017 18:13:16    2064747

Link