Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Footballers 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Yondu:  "You haven't answered my question. You are confused yourself if you can't name who are the top 8 based on league and championship results the last 2 years."
Dublin, Tyrone, Galway, Mayo, Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Dublin's reserves (Coz they beat Roscommon in Carrick on Shannon with their second team the day the Hyde was flooded) and second team also beat them twice in super eights.

finnyfifs (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 12/02/2020 19:42:36    2267388

Link

Replying To finnyfifs:  "Dublin, Tyrone, Galway, Mayo, Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Dublin's reserves (Coz they beat Roscommon in Carrick on Shannon with their second team the day the Hyde was flooded) and second team also beat them twice in super eights."
A pure cop out of an answer. I'll take the advice that Gaa_lover gave to Iarmhi04 about you.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 302 - 12/02/2020 20:08:21    2267395

Link

Replying To finnyfifs:  "Dublin, Tyrone, Galway, Mayo, Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Dublin's reserves (Coz they beat Roscommon in Carrick on Shannon with their second team the day the Hyde was flooded) and second team also beat them twice in super eights."
And what about the Roscommon team that beat Galway and Mayo in theor own back yard. Anyway enough of your trolling. I'll chat ye before we face each other. To the genuine Westmeath fans best of luck against Armagh

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 371 - 12/02/2020 20:15:29    2267397

Link

Province is weak. A laughable argument coming from someone living in Leinster. Leinster has been abysmally weak for almost 20 years. Since 2006 definitely. Embarrassingly so. Connacht has five teams and three of them always feature in top ten teams any year.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 12/02/2020 23:44:54    2267437

Link

Roscommon have been a top 8 team for 3-4 years now. 4 Connacht Finals in a row. Have won it 2 out of the last 3 years. No one said they are as good as Dublin or Kerry they are on a different level to everyone else but they are on the same level as Galway, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan.
On their day they would have beat any of these teams in the last 4 years...
The reason they are having a poor season so far is because of injuries and players leaving panel. Roscommon is small county imaging if Westmeath were missing 14 player's we would be a Div4 team
I really hope we beat them when we play them but I think it will be tough. They are managed by Anthony Cunningham if you ask people from Garrycastle he is one of the best managers ever in Westmeath football. 3 years he was involved they won 3 county championships 1 Leinster and lost an all Ireland final.
Some record!!!!

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 13/02/2020 18:01:41    2267558

Link

Cavan have really put the cat among the pigeons with that win at weekend. Only 2 points separates top from bottom after 3 games. Relegation and promotion could well come down to scoring/head to head. Our score difference is -1 compared to +13 for Armagh and +6 for Roscommon. Everyone else in the negative scoring difference.

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 130 - 17/02/2020 16:53:15    2268204

Link

Replying To Temple56:  "Roscommon have been a top 8 team for 3-4 years now. 4 Connacht Finals in a row. Have won it 2 out of the last 3 years. No one said they are as good as Dublin or Kerry they are on a different level to everyone else but they are on the same level as Galway, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan.
On their day they would have beat any of these teams in the last 4 years...
The reason they are having a poor season so far is because of injuries and players leaving panel. Roscommon is small county imaging if Westmeath were missing 14 player's we would be a Div4 team
I really hope we beat them when we play them but I think it will be tough. They are managed by Anthony Cunningham if you ask people from Garrycastle he is one of the best managers ever in Westmeath football. 3 years he was involved they won 3 county championships 1 Leinster and lost an all Ireland final.
Some record!!!!"
Roscommon are mid-table in division 2 so they are obviously not a top 8 team. They may be missing 14 players??? but they weren't missing when they got relegated from div 1.
They did make progress but it appears to have petered out and future doesn't look as promising with injuries and lads dropping out...

borisdblade (Westmeath) - Posts: 118 - 18/02/2020 12:02:46    2268302

Link

A massive game on Sunday against Armagh. It should be very tight like all our matches so far in the league. Hopefully the home supporters come out as Armagh do travel in numbers. We have been out numbered by them a few times recently on their visits to Mullingar. A win for Westmeath would be massive with a few tough away games to come!

Matthew (None) - Posts: 916 - 21/02/2020 12:01:45    2268772

Link

What a game! For once I didn't mind spending 20euro in.

Juniorbleague (Westmeath) - Posts: 31 - 23/02/2020 17:26:58    2269345

Link

agreed! absolutely brilliant stuff from our boys.

Wmeathboyo (Westmeath) - Posts: 7 - 23/02/2020 19:09:02    2269386

Link

Brilliant display and great entertainment today

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 296 - 23/02/2020 19:29:41    2269397

Link

Replying To Darragh:  "Brilliant display and great entertainment today"
A brilliant come back there is no doubt that we are on the up
.What a pity we didn't get the two points but a very positive day and even though outnumbered the crowds are coming back.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 23/02/2020 20:02:11    2269424

Link

Fantastic entertainment between two sides where forwards had the edge on backs throughout. Pity about Ray Connellan's miss late on, he had done brilliantly to win the mark. He seemed to kick too quickly. Westmeath looked extremely fit and mobile throughout the field. Status in Div 2 looks almost secure now with three teams on only 2 points. Would be happy enough finishing 3rd or 4th, County Board might disagree as league gate receipts would be very significant in Div 1, possibility of home games versus Dublin, Galway, Kerry and Donegal. Roscommon match in a fortnight is a huge fixture.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 23/02/2020 20:03:10    2269426

Link

You'll probably get a bigger Westmeath following down to the Hyde than goes to Cusack

It's a very competitive division

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1708 - 23/02/2020 20:51:17    2269456

Link

Replying To Juniorbleague:  "What a game! For once I didn't mind spending 20euro in."
I think if you buy in advance in Centra stores you get a €5 off.

It was a fantastic second half today by Westmeath. Armagh were lucky to get that goal as it looked like ref wasn't going to give it initially. Ray definitely rushed taken that mark at the end. I thought Luke had his best game today in the maroon and white. Maguire and Boidu were phenomenal also. I think Heslin had his best game of the league so far, even though he missed a few frees in the first half which he would usually get. At times today we were very slow bringing the ball out of defense and that's how Armagh got that late goal. Very encouraging overall considering that lot of quality players still need to come back from injuries.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 916 - 23/02/2020 20:59:11    2269462

Link

All I can say is well done to our boys today. Was fearing the worst after 10 mins. The lads were excellent in the second half . Before the game would have taken a draw but after the game fee l disappointed not get a win but will not dwell on this. Some fantastic performances today - thought Kevin Maguire was unbelievable along with Boidu and Lukey. Will try to keep it positive as much as possible but need to keep an eye on discipline aswell as an over reliance on Loughlin. But have to commend the work of our lads absolutely fantastic work and unlucky not to get the win.

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 23/02/2020 21:50:34    2269497

Link

Well done to the lads. Could have been hammered, could have won but draw fair result in a game of two halves. Trip to Roscommon should be interesting.

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 130 - 25/02/2020 20:56:02    2270182

Link

Great result against Armagh, Roscommon are not near the team they were two years ago and I can see us winning. If we do I can't see anything but promotion.

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 28/02/2020 10:06:09    2270627

Link

Replying To Paddyfla19:  "Great result against Armagh, Roscommon are not near the team they were two years ago and I can see us winning. If we do I can't see anything but promotion."
Way better than 2 years ago
Far better organized far better conditioned this however is taking from the flair from 2 years ago and we are boring to watch and tend to turn back a lot and set up for a runner off shoulder basketball type stuff I would compare us to Galway under Walsh.
We are slowly getting lads back from injury but even the 17 to 18 available this Sunday are better conditioned and organized than 2 years ago.
That said we are light on bench and need decent ground for running game it'll be 50 50 Sunday

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1454 - 28/02/2020 16:19:50    2270715

Link

Replying To Paddyfla19:  "Great result against Armagh, Roscommon are not near the team they were two years ago and I can see us winning. If we do I can't see anything but promotion."
The stats says different however this time two years ago we didn't have a big injury and opt out list of players.

Two years ago

After 4 NFL games we had 5 points after two wins a draw and a defeat. Scored 4-57 (69) conceded 5-45 (60)

Currenty after 4 games 5 points from 2 wins a draw and a defeat. Scored 5-45 (60) conceded 2-44 (50)

Anyway here's hoping for a good enjoyable Derby game in Hyde Park tomorrow and the game isn't ruined by the weather. The winner can target promotion while the loser will still have relegation worries.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2330 - 29/02/2020 12:38:55    2270825

Link