Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Footballers 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think Heslin's discipline is very poor also- he gets involved far too often and sulks when he doesn't get his way- he cannot be at that and surely management have to call him out on it! Do they I wonder?? Or is he calling the shots there????

finnyfifs (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 04/02/2020 11:49:12    2265055

Link

Replying To finnyfifs:  "people here were looing for Jack Cooney to get the job- now he has it and again nothing only criticism. It was the same when Tom Cribbin was there and he got us to two Leinster finals."
He's far from getting crucified with criticism now in fairness. No one here is calling for his head or anything of the like. 99% of people on this tread are behind Jack and the lads. We are also entitled to give our opinions. The only criticism I've seen so far are about discipline and a bit about team collection.

You've also slightly contradicted yourself as in your next post about Heslin's discipline you question the management.

westmeathman99 (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 04/02/2020 12:46:55    2265069

Link

Replying To westmeathman99:  "He's far from getting crucified with criticism now in fairness. No one here is calling for his head or anything of the like. 99% of people on this tread are behind Jack and the lads. We are also entitled to give our opinions. The only criticism I've seen so far are about discipline and a bit about team collection.

You've also slightly contradicted yourself as in your next post about Heslin's discipline you question the management."
I don't think I've contradicted myself at all. My point is people are hard pleased on this forum and I would certainly question management on certain things. Jack is doing a good job and I think you should get behind the lads and be positive

finnyfifs (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 04/02/2020 13:02:12    2265079

Link

I think Jack Cooney has done a brilliant job so far. He brought us back into the top 16 teams in Ireland again but if he wants to take the team to next level I believe he will have to change his game plan. Having players in the squad just on fitness but aren't wonderful footballers can only get you so far.
Trying not to be too harsh but they is one or two players that are in and out of the Westmeath team at the moment that do not stand out for their clubs in intermediate games and would probably find it hard to get into the starting 15s of top senior teams like Lomans And Garrycastle

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 44 - 05/02/2020 18:10:47    2265454

Link

garrycastle are county champions and only have one player on the team . what is the reason for this

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1212 - 07/02/2020 08:29:58    2265866

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "garrycastle are county champions and only have one player on the team . what is the reason for this"
Who would you have on it other than Gardiner? I don't think he has an interest in playing inter county.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 916 - 07/02/2020 09:24:38    2265874

Link

i do agree the age profile of the garrycastle lads is high . the 2 mcallons dont seem interested either

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1212 - 07/02/2020 10:31:50    2265894

Link

I heard O'Halloran and Donohue from Garrycastle were involved at one stage this year. Not sure whether Cooney let them go or they stepped back themselves.

The two McCallons, Gardiner and Eoin Monaghan are others that I'd like to see in the squad but not sure if they are interested or not. Nugent is a great talent but is probably a bit light at that level.

anon (None) - Posts: 327 - 07/02/2020 13:33:03    2265939

Link

Team named for tomorrow, looks same as that started last week I think although you'd imagine there will be a change or 2 before throw in. Where has Paschal.gone ? I see Brian Flanagan named as Maor Foirne ? Assume that's the ex Kildare lad who managed Johnstownbridge ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 659 - 08/02/2020 12:22:09    2266085

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Team named for tomorrow, looks same as that started last week I think although you'd imagine there will be a change or 2 before throw in. Where has Paschal.gone ? I see Brian Flanagan named as Maor Foirne ? Assume that's the ex Kildare lad who managed Johnstownbridge ?"
Pascal got 8 weeks ban from sideline

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 76 - 08/02/2020 14:58:38    2266103

Link

Replying To nearlymadeit:  "Pascal got 8 weeks ban from sideline"
Ah grand thanks, I must have been snoozing this week. I did see him being put into the stand alright but didnt realise the consequences. Is his replacement the lad I was thinking of ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 659 - 08/02/2020 17:51:39    2266128

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Team named for tomorrow, looks same as that started last week I think although you'd imagine there will be a change or 2 before throw in. Where has Paschal.gone ? I see Brian Flanagan named as Maor Foirne ? Assume that's the ex Kildare lad who managed Johnstownbridge ?"
Brian Flanagan was on the line last Saturday night also.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 916 - 08/02/2020 18:20:06    2266138

Link

Replying To anon:  "I heard O'Halloran and Donohue from Garrycastle were involved at one stage this year. Not sure whether Cooney let them go or they stepped back themselves.

The two McCallons, Gardiner and Eoin Monaghan are others that I'd like to see in the squad but not sure if they are interested or not. Nugent is a great talent but is probably a bit light at that level."
My understanding is that Tom O'Halloran and Jack Donohue were both cut from the panel. Alex Gardiner is said to be going travelling this year and won't be available for either club or county. Not sure about Mark McCallon's situation, likewise Eoin Monaghan, but I don't think Gary McCallon is up to intercounty standard and I doubt if he was approached.

midlands (Westmeath) - Posts: 162 - 08/02/2020 21:23:02    2266204

Link

Great win for the lads today in horrible conditions. Sets us up rightly for the second half of the league. I think we'd all have taken 4 points from the first 3 games before the league had even started. Let's hope they can kick on now and get a few more wins and we'll see what happens

Iarmhi04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 09/02/2020 19:44:25    2266529

Link

Replying To Iarmhi04:  "Great win for the lads today in horrible conditions. Sets us up rightly for the second half of the league. I think we'd all have taken 4 points from the first 3 games before the league had even started. Let's hope they can kick on now and get a few more wins and we'll see what happens"
super win today is right- we should be aiming for promotion with this group- no world beaters in this division as has been proven by all the results.......Iarmhí abú

finnyfifs (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 10/02/2020 13:28:10    2266778

Link

Well done on yesterdays performance in terrible conditions. If we can get 2 more points and consolidate Div 2 it will have been a very constructive league and Jacks target of keeping Westmeath in Div2 will be met.

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 130 - 10/02/2020 16:03:35    2266844

Link

Replying To The_Fonz:  "Well done on yesterdays performance in terrible conditions. If we can get 2 more points and consolidate Div 2 it will have been a very constructive league and Jacks target of keeping Westmeath in Div2 will be met."
I think we should be aiming higher than that. Should fear no team really.

finnyfifs (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 10/02/2020 18:11:24    2266862

Link

Was on ros page there asking genuine questions about their game yesterday. Some one called analysis or something seemed very suspicious and didn't want me to be there. Seems very protective of their page for some reason. Little bit pathetic but I think they fear us. So they should. We beat Fermanagh what they could not do!! I certainly wouldn't fear them. Third best team in Connacht. We are in a tougher province and we have better ball players in my opinion.

finnyfifs (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 10/02/2020 22:16:12    2266923

Link

Replying To finnyfifs:  "Was on ros page there asking genuine questions about their game yesterday. Some one called analysis or something seemed very suspicious and didn't want me to be there. Seems very protective of their page for some reason. Little bit pathetic but I think they fear us. So they should. We beat Fermanagh what they could not do!! I certainly wouldn't fear them. Third best team in Connacht. We are in a tougher province and we have better ball players in my opinion."
The analyser is one of the most informative Roscommon posters and like myself can spot "new" WUMs who is probably not even from the county they pretend to be from. I can understand why the true Westmeath posters on here are giving you so many red thumbs.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2330 - 10/02/2020 23:27:41    2266951

Link

Fermanagh have a poor record on the road, compared to in Brewster

Anyway great result for Westmeath and I don't think the panel should be afraid to aim for a return to Div 1

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1708 - 10/02/2020 23:36:48    2266955

Link