Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To po3nmotion:  "Jack Heslin, Conor Cullen, Niall McGovern, Conor Dolan, Michael McWeeney and Cathal McCrann not around this year, all for different reasons. Declan Darcy would be brilliant for Leitrim Football but i cant see him being interested for a while. He could replace Jim Gavin."
Pretty sure Jack Heslin is playing this year??

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 368 - 09/12/2019 16:35:28    2253974

Link

From what i have heard from talking around the county i have to question what terry hyland is thinking with some of the players on the panel. Very young and unexeperience panel that wouldnt even make it at at division 4 nevermind now that we are in D3, we could have a strong 15 out but where do you go after that looking for impact players off the bench. Was there a falling out last year not having the likes of gary plunket or jack heslin not commiting ?? we cannot be looking to these younger players who arnt near fully developed to compete with players in division 3 personally well be lucky to get within 5 points of most teams ans wonder why our better players wont commit

Nokia3600 (Kildare) - Posts: 2 - 09/12/2019 17:32:19    2253984

Link

Replying To Nokia3600:  "From what i have heard from talking around the county i have to question what terry hyland is thinking with some of the players on the panel. Very young and unexeperience panel that wouldnt even make it at at division 4 nevermind now that we are in D3, we could have a strong 15 out but where do you go after that looking for impact players off the bench. Was there a falling out last year not having the likes of gary plunket or jack heslin not commiting ?? we cannot be looking to these younger players who arnt near fully developed to compete with players in division 3 personally well be lucky to get within 5 points of most teams ans wonder why our better players wont commit"
It is normal for players at this level to opt out for a year. Especially the likes of Heslin a very good footballer who got very little game time this year. Have Wrynn back is massive. Wayne McKeown would also be a a fantastic addition. I regards to power. Personally I think it is great he is bringing young players in. Huge improvement in Niall Brady and Evan Sweeney physicality and ball winning this year.

bugsie (Leitrim) - Posts: 180 - 09/12/2019 21:03:40    2254019

Link

Replying To bugsie:  "It is normal for players at this level to opt out for a year. Especially the likes of Heslin a very good footballer who got very little game time this year. Have Wrynn back is massive. Wayne McKeown would also be a a fantastic addition. I regards to power. Personally I think it is great he is bringing young players in. Huge improvement in Niall Brady and Evan Sweeney physicality and ball winning this year."
I would say terry hyland is thinking I did this with Cavan and we got to Div 1 with a very young team. It's a pity jack isn't on the panel I rate him highly. Forget about Wayne McKeown at this stage. The culture of playing football for leitrim has changed and Terry has set standards. Div 3 will be tough this year but if we can be competitive in each game that's a huge step in the right direction. They played Sligo in a challenge game on Sunday last lost by a few points but didn't hear anything else from it.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 165 - 10/12/2019 11:05:31    2254067

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I would say terry hyland is thinking I did this with Cavan and we got to Div 1 with a very young team. It's a pity jack isn't on the panel I rate him highly. Forget about Wayne McKeown at this stage. The culture of playing football for leitrim has changed and Terry has set standards. Div 3 will be tough this year but if we can be competitive in each game that's a huge step in the right direction. They played Sligo in a challenge game on Sunday last lost by a few points but didn't hear anything else from it."
So disappointing if it's true that Jack Heslin is not committing. He genuinely get's me out of my seat when he runs at defenders. Don't get me wrong his final ball or execution can be frustrating but we don't have many players that break the lines and stop our attack from becoming lateral but he is one so he is a loss. Same goes for Michael McWeeney - Thought he was poor last year but he was one of our leaders. There is some talk he may return from Australia early in the year and rejoin the panel.

The two Plunkett brothers not committing is also frustrating - Gary is probably the best club forward in Leitrim over the last 6/7 years as he is unmarkable on his day but through injury and managers not giving him a chance he never seemed to have a run of games to build confidence at inter-county level which was strange (Croker). Noel Plunketts point in the Bronx and what it has brought about since could go down as one of the most significant in Leitrim football since 94 but he is another who seems to be constantly injured.

Conor Cullen it is said just doesn't have the required hunger or dedication to be an inter-county footballer at the moment. It is harder to figure out why his younger brother Ciaran has not been called up.

I think out from Heslin, Gary Plunkett and Michael McWeeney we probably have our strongest squad available. Every county has a few players that caannot or won't commit for various reasons.

I would also prefer to have some of the young exciting potential on the squad who are hungry and trying to prove themselves rather then some of the older dead wood that we may have had in the past who think their value is more than it actually is which can then cause problems for morale etc.

Any reports from the Sligo game or team etc?

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 145 - 11/12/2019 04:38:50    2254231

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "So disappointing if it's true that Jack Heslin is not committing. He genuinely get's me out of my seat when he runs at defenders. Don't get me wrong his final ball or execution can be frustrating but we don't have many players that break the lines and stop our attack from becoming lateral but he is one so he is a loss. Same goes for Michael McWeeney - Thought he was poor last year but he was one of our leaders. There is some talk he may return from Australia early in the year and rejoin the panel.

The two Plunkett brothers not committing is also frustrating - Gary is probably the best club forward in Leitrim over the last 6/7 years as he is unmarkable on his day but through injury and managers not giving him a chance he never seemed to have a run of games to build confidence at inter-county level which was strange (Croker). Noel Plunketts point in the Bronx and what it has brought about since could go down as one of the most significant in Leitrim football since 94 but he is another who seems to be constantly injured.

Conor Cullen it is said just doesn't have the required hunger or dedication to be an inter-county footballer at the moment. It is harder to figure out why his younger brother Ciaran has not been called up.

I think out from Heslin, Gary Plunkett and Michael McWeeney we probably have our strongest squad available. Every county has a few players that caannot or won't commit for various reasons.

I would also prefer to have some of the young exciting potential on the squad who are hungry and trying to prove themselves rather then some of the older dead wood that we may have had in the past who think their value is more than it actually is which can then cause problems for morale etc.

Any reports from the Sligo game or team etc?"
Sligo beat us by a few points but it's only a run around to get lads fit. Who we up against next?

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 11/12/2019 10:48:52    2254257

Link