Monaghan Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I see David Garland & Michael Bannigan led the scoring for DCU in their Singerson semi final hammering of UCD (who had B McGinn & R O'Toole in their lineup).

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0122/1110238-dcu-1-15-ucd-0-03/

Monaghan's David Garland led the scoring for the 2015 champions with 0-07, while fellow Farney man Micheal Bannigan blasted 1-02 in a commanding display from the tournament hosts.

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 165 - 23/01/2020 11:20:07    2261740

Link

Strong starting 15 for Sunday. I see we are being written off by many - just the way we like it. Beware the farney as an underdog!
Confident of the 2 points.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 724 - 23/01/2020 14:30:49    2261790

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "I see David Garland & Michael Bannigan led the scoring for DCU in their Singerson semi final hammering of UCD (who had B McGinn & R O'Toole in their lineup).

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0122/1110238-dcu-1-15-ucd-0-03/

Monaghan's David Garland led the scoring for the 2015 champions with 0-07, while fellow Farney man Micheal Bannigan blasted 1-02 in a commanding display from the tournament hosts."
I watched the second half of this game. Both Garland and Bannigan were excellent from what I seen. Garland's low centre of gravity means he can turn so quickly and lose his marker. Banty was at the match and surely he must have been onto him. Bannigan is maturing nicely too though that was a very poorly hit penalty and he was fortunate to get the rebound.

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 23/01/2020 16:08:58    2261805

Link

Replying To sleater:  "I watched the second half of this game. Both Garland and Bannigan were excellent from what I seen. Garland's low centre of gravity means he can turn so quickly and lose his marker. Banty was at the match and surely he must have been onto him. Bannigan is maturing nicely too though that was a very poorly hit penalty and he was fortunate to get the rebound."
Garland was brought into the county set up two years ago started v mayo in first league.didnt do too badly but malachy didn't really use him much after that and he left the panel last summer. He looks a v good finisher. The worry is he is v small for inter county football. Good news through to hear these kind of reports on him and bannigan. As ever the big debate about Monaghan going into a new season is who can share the burden with Conor mcmanus so we need these young forwards to prosper.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1434 - 23/01/2020 18:44:58    2261831

Link

Practically everyone, nationally writing Monaghan off as relegation certanties. Pat Spillane a few weeks ago, while accessing the "newly appionted managers", suggested Monaghan were certainties for relegation & an early championship exit...... I hope Banty uses all this to motivate our lads & I'm sure he will.
Sunday's game is so important, a win could actually set us up for a good season. It is also important, that our supporters get behind the team. It could just be that "little extra" that gets them over the line come Sunday!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 387 - 24/01/2020 19:11:44    2261985

Link

Replying To Monaghan Exile:  "Practically everyone, nationally writing Monaghan off as relegation certanties. Pat Spillane a few weeks ago, while accessing the "newly appionted managers", suggested Monaghan were certainties for relegation & an early championship exit...... I hope Banty uses all this to motivate our lads & I'm sure he will.
Sunday's game is so important, a win could actually set us up for a good season. It is also important, that our supporters get behind the team. It could just be that "little extra" that gets them over the line come Sunday!"
I think Spillane has had us down for relegation every year since we came up.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 417 - 25/01/2020 08:16:47    2262068

Link

Spillane hates Ulster teams and coaches but he reserves a special dislike for us not sure why. Perhaps because he doesnt think we belong in Div 1 given our size etc. He is one of those pundits just wants to talk about Kerry and Dublin all day long and anything outside of that is annoying to talk about as he just assumes all based on rough house tactics. Anyway yes every preview of the season ahead is quite negative. Think we still have the players to be competitive worry is some have either played too much football or too little in some cases. I'll try and be positive. Donnelly and Laverty will reinvigorate the players and they will all be back to their best. Banty the less said the better.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1434 - 25/01/2020 09:30:56    2262079

Link

2 draws in Div One tonight. Gonna be a serious league this year.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 417 - 25/01/2020 23:38:23    2262351

Link

Good luck to the lads today & safe travels all.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 724 - 26/01/2020 09:37:48    2262393

Link

I'm hoping Monaghan put down a marker today to let teams know that they expect to be in at the business end of things later in the year. Strong team today but definitely need to get one or two younger players to establish themselves.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 56 - 26/01/2020 12:07:58    2262442

Link

Replying To PolicemanFox:  "I'm hoping Monaghan put down a marker today to let teams know that they expect to be in at the business end of things later in the year. Strong team today but definitely need to get one or two younger players to establish themselves."
Lay down a marker!!! Very funny!!

We could have drawn or won but on balance galway deserved the win

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 489 - 26/01/2020 20:50:04    2262643

Link

Awful start, With the strongest possible team out Monaghan simply had to come home with two points. Going to be real battle in blayney next week.

Should have put a stronger team out in the Mckenna cup final, not just to try and win but to get valuable game time into the players starting today.

Malachy got blamed by certain people here for not blooding players. It will be a short season if you keep flogging the same 20 players all year.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1833 - 26/01/2020 21:52:16    2262689

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Awful start, With the strongest possible team out Monaghan simply had to come home with two points. Going to be real battle in blayney next week.

Should have put a stronger team out in the Mckenna cup final, not just to try and win but to get valuable game time into the players starting today.

Malachy got blamed by certain people here for not blooding players. It will be a short season if you keep flogging the same 20 players all year."
I am by no means a Banty fan, and do agree that it was as strong a team as could have been put out today,but if the man had started a stronger team last weekend he would have been vilified with those saying he should have kept the lads fresh etc. It was a good showing today considering it is still January and this would have been targeted as a winnable game. However, the target would have been wins at home Vs Tyrone and Meath, and Banty wouldn't have wanted to show the full hand in last weekends match...no need for wild hysteria yet...still a lot to look forward to!

MonaghanGa3l (USA) - Posts: 7 - 26/01/2020 22:19:24    2262706

Link

Awful start, With the strongest possible team out Monaghan simply had to come home with two points. Going to be real battle in blayney next week.

Malachy got blamed by certain people here for not blooding players. It will be a short season if you keep flogging the same 20 players all year.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1830 - 26/01/2020 21:52:16

Goodman Shaggy...............hardly an awful start..........Missed penalty,goal cleared off the line and kicked 16 points.

Yes nearly a full team out just like nearly every other County had this weekend.

You see now why people including me were given out about Malachy not blooding enough players,we are now left short by this after the retirements and a few injuries we have.

Good to see Chris McGuinness back after 5 years out because of the last managements ignorance......

The league is still only the league we went flat out in 3 of the 5 years we were in it and what did we get for it????????????

We got noting.............All we can do is play the seven games try and get a style of play and find some form for the summer...division 2 wont kill us if it happens...........but 6 games to go all to play for.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 26/01/2020 22:56:46    2262721

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Awful start, With the strongest possible team out Monaghan simply had to come home with two points. Going to be real battle in blayney next week.

Malachy got blamed by certain people here for not blooding players. It will be a short season if you keep flogging the same 20 players all year."
Banty gave Mulligan and Woods their league debuts today so he's clearly trying to blood new players?

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 37 - 26/01/2020 23:06:56    2262728

Link

lads it was a division 1 away game. we only lost by a point and actually probably left the game behind us. relax.. its the best possible way to lose. great spread of scorers too. Silver lining - id say they're starving for a result now at home to the noisy neighbours.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 94 - 27/01/2020 09:00:40    2262771

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Awful start, With the strongest possible team out Monaghan simply had to come home with two points. Going to be real battle in blayney next week.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1830 - 26/01/2020 21:52:16

Goodman Shaggy...............hardly an awful start..........Missed penalty,goal cleared off the line and kicked 16 points.

Yes nearly a full team out just like nearly every other County had this weekend.

You see now why people including me were given out about Malachy not blooding enough players,we are now left short by this after the retirements and a few injuries we have.

Good to see Chris McGuinness back after 5 years out because of the last managements ignorance......

The league is still only the league we went flat out in 3 of the 5 years we were in it and what did we get for it????????????

We got noting.............All we can do is play the seven games try and get a style of play and find some form for the summer...division 2 wont kill us if it happens...........but 6 games to go all to play for."
Think despite the loss fair few positives from the display. Firstly was a big improvement on most of the fare from last year was always going to be tough going away to galway with Joyce's first game in charge but we were v near taking the points. Agree good to see mulligan and woods coming on and Chris McGuinness back who was unlucky not to nail a great goal which surely have got the win if had gone in. The negatives we were too open at the back too easily and as always seems the way we have to work twice as hard for our scores as the opposition relying on some big individual efforts rather than any concerted attacking plan. Overall the effort could not be criticized which was good to see after last summer and hopefully the matches will bring us on. Relegation or no relegation the games against Tyrone and donegal are huge in terms of putting a marker down ahead of the summer.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1434 - 27/01/2020 09:09:41    2262774

Link

There was a lot of positives from the game yesterday.. and it's hard to be critical of Banty after that performance, we were very attacking in the approach to the game and all the subs that we took on were of the attacking variety. There was 2 goal line saves and the penalty save as well..
The one area of the game I wasn't a fan of was Beggan and his runs up the field, they are fine if we continue the attack, but when the ball is turned over and Beggan is still up the field, it causes confusion and overlaps by Galway that were too easy for them to come down the field and get easy scores.. If he comes up the field and releases the ball he needs to get himself back in position and get his defence in order as well.. he spent far too long loitering up the field. At the game Shane Walsh seemed to get serious abuse from Monaghan players or was he hitting the ground very easy!!

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 727 - 27/01/2020 10:31:35    2262810

Link

The lads will be sick that they didn't get something out of the game yesterday. They are experienced enough to know that points in division one are at a minimum. We have got points before playing worse and against teams that played better than galway yesterday. Our defense is worrying, especially our full back line but can be worked on. Dessie wars seems to be pushing on as a footbler which is good to see. Mc manus had a shocker and we scored 16 points and how much of that came from play. We needed a goal to win it. Mulligan and woods showed a small bit of inexperience at the end and probably needed experienced players there but however both will learn and if we have to loose to take these men on then so be it. Bannigan was brilliant I thought. Serious speed and a real scoring threat. Mc Guinness seems a real goal scorer like he always was and it's brilliant to take him off the bench. He has the experience and every time he comes on you'd expect him to make an impact. We won't be taking through 7 or 8 young men every year. If we only take through 3 or 4 every year then we are doing well. Bannigan woods Mulligan dessie ward niall kearns mc carthy Boyle o toole mc Bennett. All young men so banty is flooding young men. He's doing a great job so far and this team is experienced enough and hungry to go out next week and get a win. If we play to the same levels throughout the league that we played yesterday then we will stay up. That performance yesterday would beat Meath mayo Kerry and Tyrone at home.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 165 - 27/01/2020 10:46:34    2262820

Link

That performance yesterday would not beat all of the teams at home. I enjoyed the game and I thought we played some good stuff at times. But if we are as open as that at the back in the other games in this league then we are going to get beaten. (Kerry would tear us apart). Realistically Galway could have scored another couple of goals only they put them over the bar.

On the plus side the subs had a positive impact, especially Mulligan and McGuinness. And the point were Jack spotted Duffy in space, executed the pass and Duffy slotted over was a great score by any level.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 317 - 27/01/2020 13:07:26    2262867

Link