Monaghan Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Unfortunately travelling numbers will be reduced significantly, there is a lot of factors the poor performances last year. I think the management is the main reason attendances will drop, from talking to lot of genuine gael in the county, they have lost interested in the county team over the managerial appointment. Their is an anger amongst supporters in Monaghan over the appointment. Ta

Hopefully he proves a lot of people wrong for the players sake.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1828 - 19/01/2020 14:25:53

Thats your opinion Shaggy............just because you and a few so called genuine gaels didnt renew their season tickets beacuse of a personal grudge against Banty means attendenes will fall, is comical.

If your Genuine you will support no matter who is over the team...........support will fall away when the team falls away down the divisions like it did over 20 years ago..........until the man that you and your genuine buddys hate put us back in Division 1 and made us competitive again.......................You's seem to forget that part or you's seem to choose to forget that part of our history.

Malachy O'Rourke,Seamus McEneaney,Eammon McEneaney,Colm Coyle,Jack McCarville,Mick McCormack,Sean McCague............will all be gone some day, but Monaghan will still be here...............Remember that!!

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 19/01/2020 22:52:59    2260968

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Unfortunately travelling numbers will be reduced significantly, there is a lot of factors the poor performances last year. I think the management is the main reason attendances will drop, from talking to lot of genuine gael in the county, they have lost interested in the county team over the managerial appointment. Their is an anger amongst supporters in Monaghan over the appointment. Ta

Hopefully he proves a lot of people wrong for the players sake.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1828 - 19/01/2020 14:25:53

Thats your opinion Shaggy............just because you and a few so called genuine gaels didnt renew their season tickets beacuse of a personal grudge against Banty means attendenes will fall, is comical.

If your Genuine you will support no matter who is over the team...........support will fall away when the team falls away down the divisions like it did over 20 years ago..........until the man that you and your genuine buddys hate put us back in Division 1 and made us competitive again.......................You's seem to forget that part or you's seem to choose to forget that part of our history.

Malachy O'Rourke,Seamus McEneaney,Eammon McEneaney,Colm Coyle,Jack McCarville,Mick McCormack,Sean McCague............will all be gone some day, but Monaghan will still be here...............Remember that!!"
Don't worry about me. I have my season ticket, like every other year. I was at Monaghan 's away games when you could Could the supporters on one hand. I know what the bad times are like.
Going to games in Wexford, waterford, Tipperary and the like and not coming home with wins.

I'll be in Salthill Sunday.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1834 - 20/01/2020 10:10:42    2261018

Link

I can't seem to find anyone on this forum that said they would not renew their season ticket, never mind so called genuine gaels

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 751 - 20/01/2020 23:44:38    2261238

Link

Replying To mhunicean_abu:  "I can't seem to find anyone on this forum that said they would not renew their season ticket, never mind so called genuine gaels"
You have one here.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 693 - 21/01/2020 11:35:18    2261284

Link

Replying To mhunicean_abu:  "I can't seem to find anyone on this forum that said they would not renew their season ticket, never mind so called genuine gaels"
And me too , I've been a genuine supporter for over 30 yrs and this appointment as a manager is a fix nothing else , what credentials has he as a manager ?? , what is his record the past 12 months before his appointment?? .. County board are at blame for this one , I'll always with the players the best for the time and effort they give for us but I won't be at a match as long as this farce is in charge

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 120 - 21/01/2020 15:09:54    2261344

Link

you are bigger fools
Go to the games, cheer on the lads who commit so much of their lives
to wear the Monaghan jersey. I'm no fan of Bantys and i its certainly the
wrong appointment but ill be at every game and ill always cheer my
county with pride and passion.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 160 - 21/01/2020 19:35:21    2261410

Link

If " Trump the lump" or "Boris the boy" were managing my county, I would still follow them!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 388 - 21/01/2020 20:10:49    2261423

Link

No 2020 season ticket for me.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 735 - 21/01/2020 20:59:21    2261438

Link

I fully understand the frustration at the appointment of SMcE, who is what could only be described as an acquired taste, all things considered. A marmite figure if you like.
However we need to come to the realisation that one of the greatest footballers ever to wear the jersey is coming to the twilight of his career. To miss out on what could very well be his last year or so because of ......... (fill in yourselves)..... would be a travesty. What was the reason given to take away the captaincy from him considering his clubs success
I won't be there the weekend because of the match the previous day but fully intend going when I can after out of respect for a Legend. Regardless

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 751 - 21/01/2020 23:03:11    2261464

Link

Haven't missed a Monaghan game in over 20 years. No Season Ticket for me this year and my next Monaghan game will be the first one after Banty is gone.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 85 - 22/01/2020 00:14:13    2261476

Link

I just relistened to Wooly's podcast after we beat Galway in the Super 8's. He was waxing lyrical about the size and the volume of the Monaghan support. That was after 5 games in 6 weeks. We've punched above our weight on the pitch over the last number of years and one of the reasons is that we do likewise with our support.

I remember the league game v Kildare in 2018. We had lost to Mayo in opener so we had to get a result. In the last few minutes we were desperately hanging onto a narrow lead. Niall Kearns was in his first season, he was flagging in last few minutes just in front of a pocket of Monaghan supporters who encouraged him to keep going. He dug deep and redoubled his herculean efforts. When we got the win he came over to that pocket of fans and just clenched his fist. That's the effect supporters can have. We do something the players can't do and they do something we can't do. But we both have to do it.

I have no time for people who are refusing to go because of Banty. That's not how this works.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 422 - 22/01/2020 09:03:34    2261486

Link

When we get to an Ulster final or the super 8s or to croke park, I urge all those people who are not renewing their season tickets and not going to games because of banty to still stay at home and don't even put the flags up or even watch the games on tv. Go fishing or shopping for the day. The games will still go ahead regardless. I for one will be in salthill Sunday and at league games when I can. I will be at all championship games too. I'm not too fond of the banty but the love of the game and the passion and to support the team means more to my life than any vendetta against a man.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 167 - 22/01/2020 11:09:46    2261521

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "When we get to an Ulster final or the super 8s or to croke park, I urge all those people who are not renewing their season tickets and not going to games because of banty to still stay at home and don't even put the flags up or even watch the games on tv. Go fishing or shopping for the day. The games will still go ahead regardless. I for one will be in salthill Sunday and at league games when I can. I will be at all championship games too. I'm not too fond of the banty but the love of the game and the passion and to support the team means more to my life than any vendetta against a man."
I would agree totally with you I will be there anyway.. but If people knew the real reason Mcentee dropped suddenly out of the race to become manager there would be uproar by right!!! Anyway I still think Monaghan will beat Galway!!

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 224 - 22/01/2020 13:17:18    2261541

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "I would agree totally with you I will be there anyway.. but If people knew the real reason Mcentee dropped suddenly out of the race to become manager there would be uproar by right!!! Anyway I still think Monaghan will beat Galway!!"
I was dismayed by the choice of Banty as manager, but hey, is he worse than Jack McCarville or Eamon Mc? I still went to see Mongahan under those car crash seasons when Jack and Eamon were in charge. Banty in charge won't stop me from going. The knee jerk over reaction to the McKenna cup final defeat is just ridiculous. It's a nothing pre season competition. The right thing to do was throw in lads looking to impress. Now it's done and onto the league. for what its worth I think Monaghan will stay up in Div 1.

Out of the new players, McBennett has done enough to get a run out during NFL. O'Toole and Bannigan are showing well in Sigerson Cup and I'd hope they get a sustained chance during the league and after U-2o's are done, I'd expect Woods and Mulligan to get a chance too.

Any idea on Finty Kelly or Lavelle's injuries?

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 22/01/2020 13:44:48    2261551

Link

Team named for Sunday v Galway
1. Rory Beggan
2. Kieran Duffy
3. Drew Wylie
4. Conor Boyle
5. Ryan McAnespie
6. Ryan Wylie
7. Karl O'Connell
8. Darren Hughes
9. Niall Kearns
10. Kieran Hughes
11. Míchael Bannigan
12. Dessie Ward
13. Conor McCarthy
14. Jack McCarron
15. Dermot Malone

Obvious omissions are Conor McManus and Colin Walshe. Probably our strongest team bar these two at the moment

monman246 (Monaghan) - Posts: 41 - 22/01/2020 20:45:30    2261655

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "I would agree totally with you I will be there anyway.. but If people knew the real reason Mcentee dropped suddenly out of the race to become manager there would be uproar by right!!! Anyway I still think Monaghan will beat Galway!!"
Mick, you've obviously heard the same story I did.

Some great points made in the last few posts. The point about going to support the team out of respect for the legend that is Conor McManus was a good one. It just sticks in my craw to be supporting anything connected with Banty.

Does honesty and morality count for anything in the world any more?

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 366 - 22/01/2020 21:00:03    2261660

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "Mick, you've obviously heard the same story I did.

Some great points made in the last few posts. The point about going to support the team out of respect for the legend that is Conor McManus was a good one. It just sticks in my craw to be supporting anything connected with Banty.

Does honesty and morality count for anything in the world any more?"
Yep I'm sure we're on the same wave length here!!
Strong team out Sunday in fully confident of picking up the 2 points..

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 224 - 22/01/2020 21:49:13    2261666

Link

Can you please explain why McEntee dropped out of the race?

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 37 - 23/01/2020 00:15:25    2261700

Link

Happy with the team for Sunday, although I'm guessing bannigan won't be involved as he has the Sigerson final on Wednesday..

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 37 - 23/01/2020 00:16:23    2261701

Link

Replying To Monaghan2000:  "Happy with the team for Sunday, although I'm guessing bannigan won't be involved as he has the Sigerson final on Wednesday.."
Surely banty can pull bannigan anyways. Sure your man molloy from Galway player 2 games in a day. Surely bannigan is fit for 2 games in 4 days. He'll be a vital asset. Is the under 20s available this weekend ?

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 167 - 23/01/2020 09:48:34    2261718

Link