Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Stick to the topic about hurling and forget football. Stephen lucey was brought up by me as a fullback in hurling. No mention by me about his football credentials.

As for the 2007 final, I wouldn't whinge about limerick players getting belts etc from kilkenny players. It's a sign of softness from the supporters and I know that our 2 players hickey & lucey never argued or complained about the belts they received. Its our own supporters complaining from softness.

If we took our chances down the other end that day we would have been very close. That's why we lost. To hold that kilkenny team to 2-19 that time is good going but obviously our forwards needed to be on form at the other end which they weren't with the exception of ollie Moran who got 1-3 from play.

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 05/04/2020 15:51:08    2275370

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "One Question. Would you have left Seamus Hickey at full back for so long that day."
I would not have left him at full-back for so long that day and I did not intend to suggest he should. Not sure how many games he played in that position but IMO he never looked comfortable there. He had some good games at wing-back and even didn't OK at wing forward.
That said he was moved around a lot by various managers for whatever reason, which in hindsight may have been unfair to him and I thought his played best hurling by far in his original position of cornerback, frequently surging forward with control and authority.

IMO.
Come On Ye Boys In Green

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1130 - 05/04/2020 18:18:03    2275378

Link

Replying To brud:  "Stick to the topic about hurling and forget football. Stephen lucey was brought up by me as a fullback in hurling. No mention by me about his football credentials.

As for the 2007 final, I wouldn't whinge about limerick players getting belts etc from kilkenny players. It's a sign of softness from the supporters and I know that our 2 players hickey & lucey never argued or complained about the belts they received. Its our own supporters complaining from softness.

If we took our chances down the other end that day we would have been very close. That's why we lost. To hold that kilkenny team to 2-19 that time is good going but obviously our forwards needed to be on form at the other end which they weren't with the exception of ollie Moran who got 1-3 from play."
" As for the 2007 final, I wouldn't whinge about limerick players getting belts etc from kilkenny players. It's a sign of softness from the supporters and I know that our 2 players hickey & lucey never argued or complained about the belts they received. Its our own supporters complaining from softness. "

Ah you're a hard man by, above is no doubt straight from The Bollocks Doody" Academy of Hurling Philosphy: "Let every blow be a funeral, lads". The playesrs in the fray don't stop to complain in the heat of battle, it doesn't work that way... management , media people and county board should take that initiative here.

Barkeep....pint mor dubh , m as e do thoil e ...

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1130 - 05/04/2020 19:24:00    2275385

Link

Replying To brud:  "Stick to the topic about hurling and forget football. Stephen lucey was brought up by me as a fullback in hurling. No mention by me about his football credentials.

If we took our chances down the other end that day we would have been very close. That's why we lost. To hold that kilkenny team to 2-19 that time is good going but obviously our forwards needed to be on form at the other end which they weren't with the exception of ollie Moran who got 1-3 from play."
We'll all head off to the football forum so .!!!

hamstring (Limerick) - Posts: 297 - 05/04/2020 19:59:17    2275386

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "" As for the 2007 final, I wouldn't whinge about limerick players getting belts etc from kilkenny players. It's a sign of softness from the supporters and I know that our 2 players hickey & lucey never argued or complained about the belts they received. Its our own supporters complaining from softness. "

Ah you're a hard man by, above is no doubt straight from The Bollocks Doody" Academy of Hurling Philosphy: "Let every blow be a funeral, lads". The playesrs in the fray don't stop to complain in the heat of battle, it doesn't work that way... management , media people and county board should take that initiative here.

Barkeep....pint mor dubh , m as e do thoil e ..."
I suppose eddie brennan on all Ireland final day in 2007 should have let hickey clear every ball and not contest anything. Is that your theory? Let hickey clear every ball and then brian cody will whip him off 10 mins into 2nd half. Is that what the limerick supporters wanted? That's why counties like kilkenny,tipperary etc laughed at us for many a year.

There is a reason eddie brennan was a winner. Sympathy and softness doesn't come into winning. Perhaps you never played the game and don't understand.

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 05/04/2020 20:39:32    2275392

Link

Replying To brud:  "I suppose eddie brennan on all Ireland final day in 2007 should have let hickey clear every ball and not contest anything. Is that your theory? Let hickey clear every ball and then brian cody will whip him off 10 mins into 2nd half. Is that what the limerick supporters wanted? That's why counties like kilkenny,tipperary etc laughed at us for many a year.

There is a reason eddie brennan was a winner. Sympathy and softness doesn't come into winning. Perhaps you never played the game and don't understand."
Re: "Perhaps you never played the game and don't understand."
Firmly convinced of what isn't so... ?" ramble on or remeish on..

Don't tell us : Johnny Maher from Loughrea is also your most skillful and pleasure to watch hurler?

Roll on the hurling season, in whatever form.... so we get past this..

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1130 - 05/04/2020 22:33:46    2275401

Link

Replying To brud:  "I suppose eddie brennan on all Ireland final day in 2007 should have let hickey clear every ball and not contest anything. Is that your theory? Let hickey clear every ball and then brian cody will whip him off 10 mins into 2nd half. Is that what the limerick supporters wanted? That's why counties like kilkenny,tipperary etc laughed at us for many a year.

There is a reason eddie brennan was a winner. Sympathy and softness doesn't come into winning. Perhaps you never played the game and don't understand."
A weak ref prevented Eddie brennan getting sent off in 2007. He assaulted Lucy with an elbow and did 2 fouls worthy of red on Hickey. The media glossed over it. I get that Kilkenny play on the edge and always seem to know how to get away with things. However that's changed as weve seen from last years All Ireland and their living on the edge has become more of a living on a prayer. Eddie was some player..but that day he should have been sent off. Hickey full back for them could have gone too for his terrible chop across the arm in the second half..cant remember who he axed..

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1224 - 10/05/2020 12:12:52    2277859

Link

My reading of the comments made by John Horan last night on the Sunday Game is that as long as Social Distancing is in force, we won't have any matches (club or county). That effectively says that they're waiting for a vaccine to resolve the pandemic. I totally understand where the GAA as an amateur organization are coming from on this but the implications for games this year are very stark. He also said that any 2020 championship would need to at least start in calendar 2020. I thought that was a very significant comment as well.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 708 - 11/05/2020 09:58:39    2277929

Link

Richie Bennis,s Lochra Gael was excellent and enjoyable it also reminded me of the day of the second replay v Tipperary in 07
What a buzz that day also enjoyed the clips with Mike O Brien not the most gifted player but a 100%er

Limdreamer (Limerick) - Posts: 81 - 11/05/2020 20:30:59    2277967

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "A weak ref prevented Eddie brennan getting sent off in 2007. He assaulted Lucy with an elbow and did 2 fouls worthy of red on Hickey. The media glossed over it. I get that Kilkenny play on the edge and always seem to know how to get away with things. However that's changed as weve seen from last years All Ireland and their living on the edge has become more of a living on a prayer. Eddie was some player..but that day he should have been sent off. Hickey full back for them could have gone too for his terrible chop across the arm in the second half..cant remember who he axed.."
Mick Fitzgerald, a young player something like 1.4, when he came on in Thurles V Tipp. in the first replay.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 94 - 11/05/2020 23:05:36    2277976

Link

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-480173760/mark-foley

Very good podcast with Mark Foley, comes across a real decent down to earth fella as much as anything

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2055 - 17/05/2020 23:37:32    2278543

Link