Louth Forum

Semi Finals

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To PointRoad:  "If the Martins can pull off a league and championship double I'd be delighted for them. As a club and as a team very nice style of play"
If the blues get to the final,I think they will win by a bigger margin this year.
Last year they fell over the line.
They look a better team this year .

Comco (Louth) - Posts: 6 - 21/09/2019 12:55:52    2238045

Link

Replying To Itsme:  "That's incorrect Ollie, it was in Dromiskin.

Blues have beaten Dreadnots the last two years in Championship in Gaelic Grounds and this is why they objected"
I'm surprised they have not gone for Dromskin again then. Was that a double header in 2012? I swore to god it was in the GAA Grounds.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12105 - 21/09/2019 16:57:49    2238085

Link

Well done to the Jocks last night. I don't think too many people would begrudge the Jocks if they did win their first ever Joe Ward especially for JP Rooney and Mick Fanning.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12105 - 21/09/2019 17:00:17    2238086

Link

I'm not a fan of that old chestnut if anyone deserves one then such a body deserves 1, the only reason they will get 1 is because they were good enough to win one and there a lot of lads from all clubs who were to the forefront of teams through the years and never got a cship medal, Mick JP and all other footballers who stayed with there clubs and tried to win it with there own club deserve a bit of luck but there is 20 + of them lads in every squad. Its the mercenaries that bail on a struggling club there own club and collect medals with a different club that I would have no time for hopefully the stars will align and the best team will win the senior cship same argument could be made for PEPE Pops Shevlin they all deserve a senior medal sport can be cruel mistress.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 110 - 22/09/2019 13:18:49    2238236

Link

The Jocks did well last night in beating the Gers and hopefully will go on to complete the double. They should cut out that short passing at the back with the goalkeeper. They don't need lighting to strike twice.
Congratulations to Strabannon on the arrangements for the game. All the cars got parked within a few hundred yards of the pitch and got out quickly afterwards even in the dark at 10.00 pm. Hate the though on a long walk in the rain this evening in Kilsaran.

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1360 - 22/09/2019 13:55:12    2238248

Link

On paper the Jocks have an exciting strong team. They dont have the consistency that the Blues have though. They are prone to horror show moments which are rare from the Blues team. I'd say the Jocks play a more attractive exciting brand of football. Some serious pacey players bring caught the Gers on the hop Friday night, being able to turn "keep ball" into direct attack in a blink. Eoghan Callaghan, Conor Morgan, Campbell, McQuillan and John Clutterback were leaving their players for dead throughout. What trips them up though are the moments of madness in the defence like what we saw in final last year. I also thought they struggled around the middle on Friday night, although I know there were some enforced changes in those positions so difficult to really judge.

I fancy the Blues to win today and meet the Jocks on October 13th. I'd love to see the Jocks finally win Joe Ward with their pacey off the cuff style of play, however it's difficult to see past a more confident and consistent Blues team.

Also, it's great to see JP Rooney still playing at 40 years of age - the man is an example to the younger generations. He was out in front of a player half his age all night on Friday and made a lot of players look silly. He is a different class of player and joy to still be able to watch.

Louth4Life (Louth) - Posts: 105 - 22/09/2019 16:05:33    2238278

Link

Close call for Blues to-day. Dreadnots should have had game sewn up before Blues got their first score after 25 minutes. It was a good tight game that was in doubt right to finish. No reason to believe Jocks can't do it,

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1360 - 23/09/2019 00:09:49    2238406

Link

Dreadnots must be sick this morning and. Lies thanking their lucky stars !

gaelgoir (Louth) - Posts: 239 - 23/09/2019 09:02:37    2238424

Link

Replying To 19616609:  "Close call for Blues to-day. Dreadnots should have had game sewn up before Blues got their first score after 25 minutes. It was a good tight game that was in doubt right to finish. No reason to believe Jocks can't do it,
."
The Dreadnots got all there match ups correct and put the Blues on the back foot, but in my opinion they weren't good enough to win, the Blues repeated there senior final performance of 2018 but were always only a couple of scores off the lead. Dreadnots 4 clear goal chances took none, you have to take the chance when it is presented I am gutted for them but the Blues didn't panic and kept composure which comes with experience . Looking forward to the final Blues have there poor performance out of the way and after been laid idol for a month since quarter finals they have been issued there wake up call which is not good for the Martins.

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 110 - 23/09/2019 12:26:01    2238481

Link

Replying To N08CUTN:  "The Dreadnots got all there match ups correct and put the Blues on the back foot, but in my opinion they weren't good enough to win, the Blues repeated there senior final performance of 2018 but were always only a couple of scores off the lead. Dreadnots 4 clear goal chances took none, you have to take the chance when it is presented I am gutted for them but the Blues didn't panic and kept composure which comes with experience . Looking forward to the final Blues have there poor performance out of the way and after been laid idol for a month since quarter finals they have been issued there wake up call which is not good for the Martins."
Best senior game of the year. Dreadnots followed the Martins formula from last year, including conceding a soft goal. They also missed a number of goal chances that will haunt them over the winter.

However, the Blues hung in there and proved that they can win ugly.

Niamh Martin have a great chance though. They have found themselves in a final without any great trouble. They went through the motions with the Gers. As soon as Mulroy goaled, it was all over.

Not sure where to put my money after last night's game.

in_a_bind (USA) - Posts: 61 - 23/09/2019 13:44:44    2238520

Link

Ollie need your help Mr stats man, jocks minors made champo tonight also, when was last time both senior/ minors from 1 club played in both finals on same day.

Redzer_Brown (Louth) - Posts: 148 - 27/09/2019 22:03:47    2239740

Link

Replying To Redzer_Brown:  "Ollie need your help Mr stats man, jocks minors made champo tonight also, when was last time both senior/ minors from 1 club played in both finals on same day."
you probably have to go back the 70s for that.

One year Cooley won the minor and brought on one of the players as a sub in the senior final.

More recently Clan Na Gael were in both finals in 1998 but they were played on different days.

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 219 - 29/09/2019 11:04:36    2239982

Link

Replying To moresthepity:  "you probably have to go back the 70s for that.

One year Cooley won the minor and brought on one of the players as a sub in the senior final.

More recently Clan Na Gael were in both finals in 1998 but they were played on different days."
You sure minor wasnt played before senior in 1998?I remember it been a terrible day weather wise....

Fkd12 (Louth) - Posts: 1 - 29/09/2019 15:40:22    2240042

Link

Replying To Fkd12:  "You sure minor wasnt played before senior in 1998?I remember it been a terrible day weather wise...."
The Senior final was a very low-scoring game alright, weather played a part.

It was in Castlebellingham, minor was played in Dowdallshill.

moresthepity (Louth) - Posts: 219 - 29/09/2019 20:17:48    2240104

Link

Replying To Redzer_Brown:  "Ollie need your help Mr stats man, jocks minors made champo tonight also, when was last time both senior/ minors from 1 club played in both finals on same day."
Cooley back in 1979. Cooley were the last club to win Senior and Minor in the same year and that was in 1971. Only two other clubs have won Senior and Minor in the same year. The Blues in 1970 and the Marys in 1951. It would be some achievement for the Jocks if they could pull of the Senior/Minor double this year.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12105 - 30/09/2019 18:08:16    2240416

Link