Galway Forum

New Galway Football Manager

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To giveitlong:  "I am hearing both Gary's are leaving the panel along with Danny, FOC, Varley and Lavelle . Also hearing Comer injury has required further surgery."
Gary O'Donnell and Gary?

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 260 - 05/11/2019 09:45:40    2247830

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "Gary O'Donnell and Gary?"
Gary (Gareth Bradshaw)

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 999 - 05/11/2019 10:33:53    2247848

Link

Comer had an op to replace the screw in his ankle i believe. very minor procedure i'm led to believe.......but i don't know for sure.

I said it before, it is admirable that he is togging out playing Intermediate hurling for his club but he needs to be more selfish if he wants to fulfill his potential to be one of, if not the best footballer in the country. He has the potential. He is at a crucial stage in his career.

He probably should have got that injury sorted earlier in the summer.

He's a nice lad and I'm guessing doesn't want to be seen as too big for his boots but he needs to mind himself.

On another note, just listened to PJ's interview. Simple but inspiring stuff. I love the ambition he is showing. Win the FBD, The National League and The All Ireland.

He's 100% right. Too easy to talk us down, concentrate on our weaknesses, which we have. Dublin are undisputed top dogs but let know one tell me that the rest are miles a head of Galway. If we get ourselves right I don't fear them. Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone etc all have weaknesses like us.

Gaillimh abu

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 05/11/2019 10:51:13    2247856

Link

Brogan, McMenimon, O Gara, McCauley, Cluxton, O Sullivan, Andrews, Connolly, McCarthy, Rock, Cooper, Philly, could potentially be gone from Dublin panel in next two years. I know Dubs have a conveyor belt of footballers but the above class of players don't come along often and will be hard replaced.

Galway probably have a good a chance of an All Ireland in next three years as anyone so here is hoping.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 173 - 05/11/2019 11:56:12    2247877

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "I am hearing both Gary's are leaving the panel along with Danny, FOC, Varley and Lavelle . Also hearing Comer injury has required further surgery."
Think Comer already had the surgery a few weeks ago.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1742 - 05/11/2019 12:35:49    2247885

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Brogan, McMenimon, O Gara, McCauley, Cluxton, O Sullivan, Andrews, Connolly, McCarthy, Rock, Cooper, Philly, could potentially be gone from Dublin panel in next two years. I know Dubs have a conveyor belt of footballers but the above class of players don't come along often and will be hard replaced.

Galway probably have a good a chance of an All Ireland in next three years as anyone so here is hoping."
Some of these lads you name are only 28 or 29. Fantasy land thinking Dubs are going to hemorrhage players. Their age profile is incredible and all of their key players are like Kilkenny, O Callaghan, McCaffrey and Fenton are 22,23,24, 25.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 291 - 05/11/2019 14:17:07    2247914

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Comer had an op to replace the screw in his ankle i believe. very minor procedure i'm led to believe.......but i don't know for sure.

I said it before, it is admirable that he is togging out playing Intermediate hurling for his club but he needs to be more selfish if he wants to fulfill his potential to be one of, if not the best footballer in the country. He has the potential. He is at a crucial stage in his career.

He's a nice lad and I'm guessing doesn't want to be seen as too big for his boots but he needs to mind himself.

On another note, just listened to PJ's interview. Simple but inspiring stuff. I love the ambition he is showing. Win the FBD, The National League and The All Ireland.

He's 100% right. Too easy to talk us down, concentrate on our weaknesses, which we have. Dublin are undisputed top dogs but let know one tell me that the rest are miles a head of Galway. If we get ourselves right I don't fear them. Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone etc all have weaknesses like us.

Gaillimh abu"
I dont think it's because he doesnt want to be seen as too big for his boots. I would say it's because he enjoys playing hurling. He abides by the rules when they arent allowed to play other sports but he picked up the injury over xmas .

It happens unfortunately. I get theres always an extra worry because he is our best player but playing for galway dictates these lads lives enough already. Let's not put more constraints on their personal lives

If he chose to delay an op to play hurling it's his right to do so. I dont think we as fans have any right to complain about it, even if we would have preferred him to have had it done earlier. Hes not the one being selfish in that scenario. Comer gives everything for the maroon jersey.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1116 - 05/11/2019 15:26:55    2247936

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Comer had an op to replace the screw in his ankle i believe. very minor procedure i'm led to believe.......but i don't know for sure.

Gaillimh abu"
I don't see the big deal with comer playing hurling It doesn't seem to hinder con o callaghan too much anyway it was playing a charity soccer match he got hurt

minor77 (Galway) - Posts: 53 - 05/11/2019 15:31:41    2247937

Link

Replying To minor77:  "I don't see the big deal with comer playing hurling It doesn't seem to hinder con o callaghan too much anyway it was playing a charity soccer match he got hurt"
Con o C is at a different level in all aspects compared to our big man, comer needs to focus in on the big ball for both club and county if he ever wants to live up to his potential, then and only then should he start mixing it up with club hurling.

IMO

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 150 - 05/11/2019 19:52:08    2247963

Link

Listened to PJ or radio. Sincerely hope he is not setting himself up for failure through talk of unrealistic goal. Time will tell.
Have to admire his confidence and hopefully he sees potential in the club scene that others don't. Fairplay to him for been so optimistic. Legend

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 241 - 05/11/2019 21:10:06    2247991

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "Listened to PJ or radio. Sincerely hope he is not setting himself up for failure through talk of unrealistic goal. Time will tell.
Have to admire his confidence and hopefully he sees potential in the club scene that others don't. Fairplay to him for been so optimistic. Legend"
His aim has to be to win the AI. Galway didnt win the league or reach an AI final with the last management. The new managements aim always has to be to achieve more than the previous management

Regardless of whether we think it's possible the manager and players need to believe or what's the point?

This year was a disaster but the year before when we were doing well my biggest issue was not that we lost to Dublin but the manner in how we lost. We did not believe we had a chance despite drawing with them and giving them a bit of a test in the league final. Our players bar a few didnt think we could win so we hadn't a chance. Respect dublin but other teams like ourselves need to not fear them or they're going to be going for 10 in a row

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1116 - 05/11/2019 21:45:35    2248006

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I dont think it's because he doesnt want to be seen as too big for his boots. I would say it's because he enjoys playing hurling. He abides by the rules when they arent allowed to play other sports but he picked up the injury over xmas .

It happens unfortunately. I get theres always an extra worry because he is our best player but playing for galway dictates these lads lives enough already. Let's not put more constraints on their personal lives

If he chose to delay an op to play hurling it's his right to do so. I dont think we as fans have any right to complain about it, even if we would have preferred him to have had it done earlier. Hes not the one being selfish in that scenario. Comer gives everything for the maroon jersey."
I agree with u. Not demanding anything of him. The opposite, just hoping he puts himself first and if that is hurling so be it. I'm actually hoping he it's not trying to keep everyone happy

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 05/11/2019 22:16:00    2248014

Link

Replying To minor77:  "I don't see the big deal with comer playing hurling It doesn't seem to hinder con o callaghan too much anyway it was playing a charity soccer match he got hurt"
Not about hurling or soccer. Not sure where u could have got that from my post. Just saying if he needed an other operation I hope he is prioritising himself and his health rather than any sense of duty to the club or anyone else. COC reference u make is not relevant to my point. I have no issue with him hurling or playing soccer.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1221 - 05/11/2019 22:20:05    2248016

Link

Interview with PJ on Off The Ball earlier : https://www.offtheball.com/sport/padraic-joyce-galway-922169

MrVelo (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 06/11/2019 19:32:40    2248173

Link

Replying To MrVelo:  "Interview with PJ on Off The Ball earlier : https://www.offtheball.com/sport/padraic-joyce-galway-922169"
Very honest of Pj - It's a big commitment. Organisation of resources is key. I'm sure he will look for like-minded selfless players, and won't tolerate egos.

He mentioned our successful minor teams of the last few years, so I'm sure he will be giving a lot of these players their chance.

He is not one for long drawn-out 3 year plans. Some people might say that's putting pressure on himself, but I would see it as a welcome positive mind-frame.

Let's get this machine up and running... can't wait.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 370 - 06/11/2019 22:22:59    2248196

Link