Kerry Forum

Kerry V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I did not expect any thing else from 37 very very highly educated man through schooling and books but in the way of this world today I think you are lacking

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 498 - 29/09/2019 12:02:27    2240000

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "You were spot on again Gerry, sure he thinks he knows it all.

That's a great book I read it years ago and lent it to a friend who passed it on to another, by and by it's gone, I tried to buy it again a couple of years ago but it wasn't available, must look again when I'm back in Tralee or my wife might look for it on line.

I know the hermit love princes of pig skin I never managed to come across it either."
'In the Name of the Game' is Barrett's book and it tells the fascinating tale of that post CW era team, now I've meet JJ a few times and let's just say he has a certain political viewpoint (he didn't take his father's medals out of the Museum in Croker for nothing!!) but once you accept the inherent bias it is a good bit of history.

To be honest I think that's a fascinating period the whole post-Civil War era both in Kerry in general and in particular its impact surrounding the Kerry team that came to dominate the national stage. I often thought both that team and the history of Kerry in those years of the 1920s deserved it's own book. I also think that it would make an amazing documentary it's a pity RTE have no money now for such things only Dancing with the F-in Stars :D
Maybe with the CW centenary coming down the tracks fast something will be done.

Yeah the Princes of Pigskin is really a wonderful book and as Horse says it's a great thing to just pick up and read for 3-4 pages and then put away again. Would really recommend it.

And if your looking for both, I'd say your best bet would be Polymaths - they always have a good selection of older books and I'm sure they'd still have a few copies of both hanging around.

I've never read Corry's book Horse but I must - he wrote an excellent illustrated history of the GAA too although these days he's more a travel writer and journalist.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5133 - 29/09/2019 12:31:19    2240004

Link

Hermit horse in prince's of the pig skin my pic is in it after the 82 defeat by offaly with John Egan coming off the field after the game I had bought a new beige colour suit for the occasion the pic was purely by accident. John was completely devastated that day and was for a long time after and I must say offaly were very gracious Victors that day. They treated us the losers with utmost respect hence ever more I have a soft spot for them. My hair has long gone from 82 friends of mine I looked like a Mexican. Big black head of hair bushy black tash and long black side burns. It was though travelling over back then train on sat morning boat sat nite dublin late nite no bed only the craic with family and friends we were young great times and back on the Sunday nite

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 498 - 29/09/2019 13:02:43    2240013

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "I did not expect any thing else from 37 very very highly educated man through schooling and books but in the way of this world today I think you are lacking"
Another one of your wild assumptions !! , never allow facts to come in your way no need of a jury when 'gerry' ascends the podium he seems to be both judge and jury and if we don't think 'gerry's' way it is 'slán leat ' My way or the highway but it is as the song says "a long long way from Clare to here" Now for East Kerry v Austin Stacks should be interesting looking forward to seeing how Liam Kearney will fare .it will take my focus off the Dublin homecoming. And maybe direct me in the ways of gerry's world !!

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 29/09/2019 13:11:53    2240015

Link

And again I'm just amazed there are people out there with so little to do they click red on a post about some books. Get a life like!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5133 - 29/09/2019 16:56:57    2240059

Link

Ah Hermit, Ya I made a one line post there last week that wasn't innocent enough and about three red thumbs. I also think if we collectively blank or ghost certain wums there oxygen levels will lessen and they may get bored and wander on over then Shannon.

Did any of he take in the local championship games over the weekend, unfortunately the 12 hours weekend shift ruled me out any chance of attending games over this weekend,

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4251 - 29/09/2019 17:15:28    2240060

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Another one of your wild assumptions !! , never allow facts to come in your way no need of a jury when 'gerry' ascends the podium he seems to be both judge and jury and if we don't think 'gerry's' way it is 'slán leat ' My way or the highway but it is as the song says "a long long way from Clare to here" Now for East Kerry v Austin Stacks should be interesting looking forward to seeing how Liam Kearney will fare .it will take my focus off the Dublin homecoming. And maybe direct me in the ways of gerry's world !!"
I think the bould gerry might have a wee chip on his shoulder regarding education or more the lack of. Your getting a bit of a rough time on your own page 37 why do you bother. If you dont talk up kerry your not wanted hete.as far as i can see. Any constructive criticism and your told to take a hike unbelievable

lilypad (Kildare) - Posts: 1008 - 29/09/2019 20:45:44    2240110

Link

Replying To lilypad:  "I think the bould gerry might have a wee chip on his shoulder regarding education or more the lack of. Your getting a bit of a rough time on your own page 37 why do you bother. If you dont talk up kerry your not wanted hete.as far as i can see. Any constructive criticism and your told to take a hike unbelievable"
Maybe it's time you go change your pad lily.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9971 - 29/09/2019 21:26:56    2240127

Link

Replying To lilypad:  "I think the bould gerry might have a wee chip on his shoulder regarding education or more the lack of. Your getting a bit of a rough time on your own page 37 why do you bother. If you dont talk up kerry your not wanted hete.as far as i can see. Any constructive criticism and your told to take a hike unbelievable"
It does not bother me I think it was Thomas Gray who made the observation"where ignorance is bliss it's folly to be wise" not that I would deem the 3 wise men who regularly post on the page to be ignorant rather I take it for its entertainment value Funny really that they cannot see where Kerry are in relation to Dublin (football) Through the decade gone by Dublin have come out on top ever since the league game in Killarney in 2010 . Consistently attributing Dublin's success to outside influences etc etc , eventually it becomes funny . I would dearly wish to see Kerry back on top I believed they could do it in the replay but Dublin learned more and started by outscoring Kerry 5 / 1 first 12 minutes and finished by holding them scoreless for last 12 mins . A gallant effort by Kerry but not good enough . Progress? in 2013 Dublin Finished 7 points clear this year it was only 6 so at least there has been minimal progress. Stating such thing one incurs the wrath of the Big 3 It unsettles them within their little cocoon Níl carabundum est don't let the grind you down is the motto !! Agus Ciarraí Abù go deo na ndeòir

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 29/09/2019 21:27:15    2240128

Link

I'm glad of your comments killdare may be my education is lacking school and book wise but not one bit in life wise I left Ireland at 16 years old and made a good living I the US and UK and I can now come and as I please and I have always supported my county and my country which is more than I can say for a lot of the ones who never left or never had to leave

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 498 - 29/09/2019 21:30:46    2240131

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "I'm glad of your comments killdare may be my education is lacking school and book wise but not one bit in life wise I left Ireland at 16 years old and made a good living I the US and UK and I can now come and as I please and I have always supported my county and my country which is more than I can say for a lot of the ones who never left or never had to leave"
Fair play to you Gerry boy, nobody handed you anything you went and earned a living the hard way and never forgot your Kerry roots.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9971 - 29/09/2019 22:04:48    2240152

Link

Right lads can we as Horse says just ignore the trolls, WUM etc. They thrive on thinking someone gives a crap what they say.
I'll try and start a new thread during the week for off season chats, let the saddos who think laughing at a young Kerry team losing a final makes their lives worthwhile do their stuff.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5133 - 29/09/2019 22:36:17    2240164

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Right lads can we as Horse says just ignore the trolls, WUM etc. They thrive on thinking someone gives a crap what they say.
I'll try and start a new thread during the week for off season chats, let the saddos who think laughing at a young Kerry team losing a final makes their lives worthwhile do their stuff."
Yes hermit,

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4251 - 30/09/2019 13:14:23    2240286

Link

OK hermit

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 498 - 30/09/2019 13:39:42    2240297

Link

You obviously do care seeing yous are making such a racket. Deal with your insecurity and respect ur only decent poster 37

lilypad (Kildare) - Posts: 1008 - 30/09/2019 13:46:32    2240300

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Right lads can we as Horse says just ignore the trolls, WUM etc. They thrive on thinking someone gives a crap what they say.
I'll try and start a new thread during the week for off season chats, let the saddos who think laughing at a young Kerry team losing a final makes their lives worthwhile do their stuff."
Fair enough lads no more replies to those guys.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9971 - 30/09/2019 14:18:41    2240322

Link

Ah well like the squirrel roll up in a ball and hibernate . The page will eventually suffer the fate of the wanga-wanga bird who flies in ever decreasing circles until eventually flying up the orifice under its own tail. Accepting Dublin's dominance and observing where Kerry fail to match them does not constitute laughing at Kerry's young team I was not able to go to games this weekend I am told there were paltry attendances at all games No new players laid a marker but I am told Kieran Donaghy ,Shane Enright ,James O Donoghue and Bryan Sheehan were to the fore . Also very good reports on Sean Quilter Austin Stacks , But it is defenders that are needed at county level. My ' White hope ' Liam Kearney failed to impress . Dr Crokes would appear to be shoo in again And as in the case of Dublin , knockers cite all kinds of reasons for their dominance , overlooking 2 key ingredients , Ability and Dedication . It will ever be the same ostriches can't see for the sand .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 30/09/2019 14:49:12    2240335

Link

Lads I read a good article from Ewan makenna earlier on, he really tells it as it is and cuts out a lot of the BS and tip toing around trying not to offend the dubs.

It's really disheartening what the GAA is doing, it's like the dubs have been given a Ferrari and the rest of us Nissan Micra and we're told to keep up.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9971 - 30/09/2019 19:08:39    2240434

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Lads I read a good article from Ewan makenna earlier on, he really tells it as it is and cuts out a lot of the BS and tip toing around trying not to offend the dubs.

It's really disheartening what the GAA is doing, it's like the dubs have been given a Ferrari and the rest of us Nissan Micra and we're told to keep up."
As PK might say "look it is what it is " Dublin are there on merit a jockey will not win a derby on Delaney's Donkey Neither would Jim Gavin have won 5 in a row 7 in a decade without the calibre of player at his disposal It's up to Kerry and the rest to find the players and the formula to topple the Dubs in the 20s Kerry are nearly there Cork are on the move Donegal and possibly Armagh but enough childish crying and throwing the toys from the play pen The Dubs are a formidable crew accept them for what they are the first Team to win 5 Senior titles in arís however unpalatable it may be for us

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 30/09/2019 20:01:41    2240446

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Ah well like the squirrel roll up in a ball and hibernate . The page will eventually suffer the fate of the wanga-wanga bird who flies in ever decreasing circles until eventually flying up the orifice under its own tail. Accepting Dublin's dominance and observing where Kerry fail to match them does not constitute laughing at Kerry's young team I was not able to go to games this weekend I am told there were paltry attendances at all games No new players laid a marker but I am told Kieran Donaghy ,Shane Enright ,James O Donoghue and Bryan Sheehan were to the fore . Also very good reports on Sean Quilter Austin Stacks , But it is defenders that are needed at county level. My ' White hope ' Liam Kearney failed to impress . Dr Crokes would appear to be shoo in again And as in the case of Dublin , knockers cite all kinds of reasons for their dominance , overlooking 2 key ingredients , Ability and Dedication . It will ever be the same ostriches can't see for the sand ."
Very well put but yet they dont seem to understand their own ignorance pathetic really a very poor reflection on kerry fans

lilypad (Kildare) - Posts: 1008 - 30/09/2019 20:01:54    2240447

Link