Kerry Forum

Kerry V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Kerry15:  "Gavin Crowley very hard done by not to be nominated. I think Tom O'Sullivan, Moran and Sean O'Shea are guaranteed All Stars. If I was picking it I'd also give an All Star to Morley, Stephen O'Brien and Clifford. Sean O'Shea should get young player of the year. I am also constantly amazed by how underrated Paul Geaney is. He is one of our best players and has had a fantastic year. Any other year I think he would definitely get an All Star but this year's All Stars are ultra competitive in the forward line. He was excellent against Mayo (1-2), Donegal (1-4), Tyrone (0-3) and the replay (0-4)."
Ya Geaney set up the goal for O'Brien against Tyrone as well.

Like you say there is big competition in the forwards this year.

Morley had a great season as had Crowley, Murphy probably won't get one though .

When are the league fixtures out I wonder?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9978 - 27/09/2019 18:01:25    2239694

Link

I miss An Fear Rua Horse, was a great spot, plenty of Munster lads so lots of hurling too and precious few Dubs thank God ;D

On performances if there was only one All-Star between Clifford and SOS I would give it to SOS
Think Kerry deserve to get a good few All-Stars this year, but yeah would also agree Cluxton deserves the player of the year he kept them in it in the drawn game and made some crucial saves in both finals.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5134 - 27/09/2019 22:06:26    2239742

Link

Tom o Sullivan David Moran Seanie O Shea and David Clifford would get on the Dublin first fifteen One has to look at Durcan and Higgins of Mayo, McCann of Tyrone and possibly Cox of Roscommon Dublin half back line Fitzsimons Fenton Kilkenny O Callaghan Mannion Rock and of course Cluxton There will be those who will argue for Dublin team in its entirety resulting from their unique achievement of 5 IN A ROW don't think that will happen though for me it's 3 Kerry players at a push 4 Tom O Sullivan may lose out he was well beaten in the replay Anyway All Stars are for the Gallery .The Dublin boys will remember their 5,6 and 7 All Ireland medals long after they have forgotten their All Star awards I bet Mayo players would trade all their meaningless statuettes for one 'Celtic Cross' 'Sè bonn uile eirinn i bpeil sinnsir an dùis is fear a bhainnt amach

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 27/09/2019 22:38:13    2239750

Link

Replying To plike:  "Apart from wondering where many Dublin "fans" go in the lean years, I have no beef with the Jacks roaring on their team to make history. Not only is their team (probably) the best ever but their ability time and again to escape from tight corners is impressive.

That said, I want this Kerry team to do themselves full justice on Saturday. There should be no surprises now about the occasion. No excuses either for erratic shooting, coughing up the ball and putting kickouts out on the full.

Beyond that, I spare my displeasure for the sneering contempt of pundits like Vince Hogan in the Indo blethering on about Kerry tradition being less than we let on. Be sure to take that line of reasoning for a spin when next in the Kingdom. You are sure to get more than a few "yerrahs", you gomb!"
Yerra sure Kerry fans were in short supply last year against Galway Super 8s and previous year against Mayo in the Saturday replayed match Kettle calling the pot!

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 27/09/2019 23:23:10    2239763

Link

37 I take no notice any more of your perfect words and your perfect pics of our game. Please go on the main forum your views will be appreciated far more there

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 499 - 28/09/2019 00:26:05    2239773

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "All star nominations are as expected, can't have many qualms.

Think shoe in's are Tom Sullivan, Moran and Stephen O'Brien. Clifford and Seanie one will get an all star the other young player of the year but not both. Morley may get lucky but could argue either way.

I take it Cluxton will get Player of the year. Being honest he deserves and has earned it. Kept them in it first day, and made vital saves in both Kerry games at key stages and that's before we even consider kick outs. Actually has a keeper ever won it before?"
Martin Furlong (1982) and Billy Morgan (1973) are the only two goalies to have won player of the year. In hurling, Noel Skehan also in 1982 and Ger Cunningham (1986).

shoulderghost (Limerick) - Posts: 863 - 28/09/2019 05:32:20    2239781

Link

Replying To shoulderghost:  "Martin Furlong (1982) and Billy Morgan (1973) are the only two goalies to have won player of the year. In hurling, Noel Skehan also in 1982 and Ger Cunningham (1986)."
Thanks

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4253 - 28/09/2019 09:45:01    2239789

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "37 I take no notice any more of your perfect words and your perfect pics of our game. Please go on the main forum your views will be appreciated far more there"
So you don't like it ,well just lump it ! " Narrow minded people on a narrow minded street " would describe the Kerry forum if all acted under the same banner as your good self You are all entitled to MY opinion would seem an apt mantra for traleegerry to post under I actually enjoy your chauvinistic posts where only the perfect Kerry exists and where the words of the song associated with the Kerry legends of the Golden Years "Nobody does it better" have to be believed Well unfortunately for us along came a team from another era who seemed to do it better . Close your eyes from the images and your ears from the sounds of Dublin's homecoming tomorrow I hope you live to see Kerry do six in a row it will give you the pinnacle that you will be happy and hopefully open on

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 28/09/2019 10:29:10    2239795

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "37 I take no notice any more of your perfect words and your perfect pics of our game. Please go on the main forum your views will be appreciated far more there"
Gerry 37 is only goading at this stage, you're dead right not to rise to his winding up.

Why he's bringing up our supporters considering the distance and financial implications of having to follow our teams and also when there were only 32,000 at the double header in crokepark this year between Roscommon and Dublin and Tyrone and Cork this year.

His mask has well and truly slipped over the last few weeks.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9978 - 28/09/2019 10:32:44    2239797

Link

Oops the oracle has spoken !! I'll have to take to the hills.

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 28/09/2019 11:20:12    2239803

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Gerry 37 is only goading at this stage, you're dead right not to rise to his winding up.

Why he's bringing up our supporters considering the distance and financial implications of having to follow our teams and also when there were only 32,000 at the double header in crokepark this year between Roscommon and Dublin and Tyrone and Cork this year.

His mask has well and truly slipped over the last few weeks."
Kerry supporters very much needed in both games It was disappointing for team that they were not there I think Kieran Donaghy referred to it but then maybe my mask was in the way preventing me from hearing what Kieran had to say regarding the importance of the support . It is a fair old hike from Belmullet the Corraun Peninsula and Bangor-Erris to Croke Park but the stout hearted men from the County Mayo travelled in force As for my mask slipping , it has moved no further than the masks of all Kerry supporters as we feel the weight of the Dublin boot on our necks . I'm sorry to have to miss Dr Crokes v St Kieran's this evening I would like to see how the honest and evergreen Seamus Scanlon fares out I also have my eyes on Adam O Donoghue who impressed me greatly when I saw him play against Feale Rangers recently, even making allowances for the poverty of the opposition I saw him as a county possibility . Will watch East Kerry tomorrow andmaybe get a new mask there should be good value in same as Halloween approaches.

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 28/09/2019 15:38:38    2239837

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Gavin Crowley very hard done by not to be nominated. I think Tom O'Sullivan, Moran and Sean O'Shea are guaranteed All Stars. If I was picking it I'd also give an All Star to Morley, Stephen O'Brien and Clifford. Sean O'Shea should get young player of the year. I am also constantly amazed by how underrated Paul Geaney is. He is one of our best players and has had a fantastic year. Any other year I think he would definitely get an All Star but this year's All Stars are ultra competitive in the forward line. He was excellent against Mayo (1-2), Donegal (1-4), Tyrone (0-3) and the replay (0-4)."
Can't believe Crowley wasn't nominated but he was never getting the award I suppose.

I'd agree with your picks we have three certainties and will probably get 1-2 more between O'Brien, Morley and Clifford. I'm not too bothered about how many we win tbh but I suppose they are a nice award for the players.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1642 - 28/09/2019 17:12:56    2239850

Link

Being honest all stars are joke and only picked for semi final onwards- the only player bonus is the holiday but truth be told you Could them every year. 9 all ireland winners, 3 from losing finalists, 2 from losing semi finalists and one token.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4253 - 28/09/2019 18:01:05    2239856

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Kerry supporters very much needed in both games It was disappointing for team that they were not there I think Kieran Donaghy referred to it but then maybe my mask was in the way preventing me from hearing what Kieran had to say regarding the importance of the support . It is a fair old hike from Belmullet the Corraun Peninsula and Bangor-Erris to Croke Park but the stout hearted men from the County Mayo travelled in force As for my mask slipping , it has moved no further than the masks of all Kerry supporters as we feel the weight of the Dublin boot on our necks . I'm sorry to have to miss Dr Crokes v St Kieran's this evening I would like to see how the honest and evergreen Seamus Scanlon fares out I also have my eyes on Adam O Donoghue who impressed me greatly when I saw him play against Feale Rangers recently, even making allowances for the poverty of the opposition I saw him as a county possibility . Will watch East Kerry tomorrow andmaybe get a new mask there should be good value in same as Halloween approaches."
You're lucky you didn't go because neither Seamus Scanlon or Adam Donoghue played.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 348 - 28/09/2019 21:24:13    2239896

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Kerry supporters very much needed in both games It was disappointing for team that they were not there I think Kieran Donaghy referred to it but then maybe my mask was in the way preventing me from hearing what Kieran had to say regarding the importance of the support . It is a fair old hike from Belmullet the Corraun Peninsula and Bangor-Erris to Croke Park but the stout hearted men from the County Mayo travelled in force As for my mask slipping , it has moved no further than the masks of all Kerry supporters as we feel the weight of the Dublin boot on our necks . I'm sorry to have to miss Dr Crokes v St Kieran's this evening I would like to see how the honest and evergreen Seamus Scanlon fares out I also have my eyes on Adam O Donoghue who impressed me greatly when I saw him play against Feale Rangers recently, even making allowances for the poverty of the opposition I saw him as a county possibility . Will watch East Kerry tomorrow andmaybe get a new mask there should be good value in same as Halloween approaches."
Actually the players name is Adam Donaghue there is no O' 37 and I remember Adam well from his minor days as I was at all there games as I was at all the senior and U21/U20s games.

Seamus scanlon is still playing great stuff for Currow and St Kieran's at 38 years of age. Always thought he was seriously under rated.

I was driving around my local area over the last couple of days dropping off allireland programs to poor old lads that can't make the big journey to crokepark anymore, maybe you should think of these poor unfortunates when you're slagging off our supporters.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9978 - 28/09/2019 22:00:51    2239900

Link

Actually there is an O in his name it is DonOghue not DonAghue My 'retired teacher friend' tells me he did not play well . Seamus Scanlon is in the USA so he missed the game . The injury to Pádraig Reidy was a huge blow to St Kieran's and Dr Crokes blitzed them in 2nd half . Tony Brosnan and David Shaw to the fore for Dr Crokes Seems Bryan Sheehan was the South Kerry inspiration against St Brendan's for whom Jack Barry and Diarmuid O Connor did not impress but now that is through the eyes and judgement of my putative friend Incidentally stating a fact regarding the absence of Kerry support at these games is in no way being judgemental they were not there end of story the fact was observed in national media .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 28/09/2019 23:00:20    2239914

Link

Again Kingdom boy a great post to put 37 in his box but I have no doubt there will be a long educated reply or a lecture telling us more about what we are lacking in kerry football. I read a book some time ago the author being Joe Joe barret son of Joe barret telling of his father's love of kerry football and his love of Ireland during the civil war he fought on the opposite side to Joe barret to name one but for there love of kerry football they and many more put there differences and opinions to one side john Joe sheehy did the same.. 37 I am sure you will know more than and you will come back to me with a full blown lecture and a barrel full more names for that period in time. My point is put your pen down for the good of kerry football.. Ciarrai Abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 499 - 29/09/2019 00:44:11    2239930

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Again Kingdom boy a great post to put 37 in his box but I have no doubt there will be a long educated reply or a lecture telling us more about what we are lacking in kerry football. I read a book some time ago the author being Joe Joe barret son of Joe barret telling of his father's love of kerry football and his love of Ireland during the civil war he fought on the opposite side to Joe barret to name one but for there love of kerry football they and many more put there differences and opinions to one side john Joe sheehy did the same.. 37 I am sure you will know more than and you will come back to me with a full blown lecture and a barrel full more names for that period in time. My point is put your pen down for the good of kerry football.. Ciarrai Abu"
You were spot on again Gerry, sure he thinks he knows it all.

That's a great book I read it years ago and lent it to a friend who passed it on to another, by and by it's gone, I tried to buy it again a couple of years ago but it wasn't available, must look again when I'm back in Tralee or my wife might look for it on line.

I know the hermit love princes of pig skin I never managed to come across it either.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9978 - 29/09/2019 09:53:02    2239963

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "You were spot on again Gerry, sure he thinks he knows it all.

That's a great book I read it years ago and lent it to a friend who passed it on to another, by and by it's gone, I tried to buy it again a couple of years ago but it wasn't available, must look again when I'm back in Tralee or my wife might look for it on line.

I know the hermit love princes of pig skin I never managed to come across it either."
Princes of Pigskin is a great read, it's what a friend of mine calls a coffee table book, 3 or 4 pages a chapter so easy to come and go from. Forging a Kingdom is good but one of my favourites is Eoin Corrys Kingdom Come was out in late 80's but picked one up for £2 years ago at a second hand shop couldn't believe my luck. Eoin also write the original autobiography of Micko that book gives a detail of every game including team sheets and scorers. Great book.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4253 - 29/09/2019 10:27:20    2239971

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Again Kingdom boy a great post to put 37 in his box but I have no doubt there will be a long educated reply or a lecture telling us more about what we are lacking in kerry football. I read a book some time ago the author being Joe Joe barret son of Joe barret telling of his father's love of kerry football and his love of Ireland during the civil war he fought on the opposite side to Joe barret to name one but for there love of kerry football they and many more put there differences and opinions to one side john Joe sheehy did the same.. 37 I am sure you will know more than and you will come back to me with a full blown lecture and a barrel full more names for that period in time. My point is put your pen down for the good of kerry football.. Ciarrai Abu"
Nice to know you are resorting to 'history' books but didn't quite get the drift of your argument after a third reading I can only assume that Joe Barrett was on the opposite side to Joe Barrett in the civil war!! I presume and one should always check their assumptions you refer to 1931 the third year of Kerry's first 4 in a row Joe Barrett who captained in 1929 was chosen to be captain in 1931 but he offered the captaincy to Con Brosnan (father of Dr Jim and Mick 1950 Minor). Con had fought on Free State side against Joe and John Joe Sheehy. So your captains of that 4 in a row were John Joe Sheehy 28 and 30 Joe Barrett 29 and Con Brosnan 31 Contrary opinion in any sphere of life should not necessarily result in dismissal of the other No one knows it all and the day one feels that there is no more to learn is the day one dies What is missing in Kerry Football ? Sam Maguire, just one visit in a decade. Why ? A better team has appeared on the horizon . No dishonour in being second. But I'll be there as Kerry strive to knock Dublin's six pack over . Beware of the Rebels And thank you for your advice, always remember that the truth will set you free .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 29/09/2019 10:46:58    2239976

Link