Kerry Forum

Kerry V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "From the outset I have to commend the support and belief last weekend, I had a gut feeling and couldn't understand the bookies and pundits, the more fans I encountered over the weekend the more confident I became and boy did the panel of players repay in spades.

Our defensive shape, the revolving and protecting arc around the 'D' the movement and cover and the closing of the door through the middle at pace and in unison was impressive. From my view on the 45 I could see directly the high and aggressive live we were deploying for Cluxton's kickouts, ok twice we were caught and conceded 1-01 but by in large it was a success and laid down an unexpected marker.

Keane and his backroom team got all the match ups and play spot on bar one. Defensively Morley, Tom Sull and Crowley got the better of their men. Foley struggled initially but Sunday will stand to him.

Of course the foundations were laid from centre field. I was reading the player ratings and Michael Darragh got 5/10 and Fenton the man the Dublin Media rated better than Jacko (don't make me laugh) got 5.5/10 so we kept their foundation to 10.5 out of 20. Big call in starting Barry and again it was justified.

Our forwards scored 1-16 but missed another 3-04. Ok break this down they say the Dublin marquee forwards failed to function. Clifford 0-02, Geaney 0, Stephen 0-01 but this will stand to them. The zero reflection is misleading on Geaney as he was involved on a pile of ball as was O'Brien. I too thought Adrian had a good first half, one big hit on Cooper and I counted three turnovers and several carry's. As ye are aware at this stage I highly rate the Templenoe man and this he offers us something needed in the middle.

We need to work on a few things kick outs, tracking and the trump card for us engaging the man. We had several chances to take on the Dublin backs on a one to one, we need to back ourselves and engage, go for it.

What I took most from this was the negativity from Galvin, Cooper was destroyed and rightly so walked. Galvin didn't trust his bench neither Philly or Cian but instead moved Howard back. He didn't have belief in his defenders on the bench, secondly when he wanted changes for the forwards he looked to Connolly a man that is only just back and not up to speed. I watched him closely his first two runs were towards the ball carrier instead of the loop around as a result he bottled up his own man and resulted in Dublin having to recycle or back track. He isn't match sharp as in intercounty match sharp.

A hell of a lot of positives from our side, I don't think we have missed the boat, quite the opposite. I think this will bring on our crew a pile and give them the belief they can match the 'great' team and prevail.

A bit more composure, a killer instinct to go for the jugular but by in large a great display and spectacle.

Our bench Killian, Tommy and again Sherwood were game changers - again no panic. 55 minutes in and we are 5 down, score the next 1-03 and go a point up. This is were we should have gone for it but didn't. You can't defend a Gaa lead and def not for ten minutes.

I would make one selling switch for the replay, I think our captain was exposed by Dublin he needs to have his back to goals not the other way round, I think too Dublin had no answer to Clifford, Stephen with both backs getting noted by the ref. I said last week we would benefit from 50/50 calls we did but again Dublin can't complain if the ref catches you fouling.

The scramble starts again but lads what an occasion, one of the best games I've ever attended and some atmosphere.

Bring on Sat week - would ye make many changes to the starting XV?"
Jack Sherwood for Gavin White to shadow Jack Mc Caffery stick to him as AidanO Mahony did to Michael Murphy in 14 keep Tommy Walsh Killian Spillane as impact subs Killian did what I knew he was capable of I posted back in June that I would love to see him inside wit Geaney ad maybe bring David Clifford out further deep lying corner forward . Relieve Paul Geaney of penalty duty he had a massive game outside of that on Sunday I was wrong about Adrian Spillane he put in a very good shift first half Shane Ryan did well but as yet he is slow in restarts but he did very well overall. Looking for signs in the stars , the Bawnagleanna heifer should be called Dublin, her five in a row died on delivery and Dublin's attempt at 38 undefeated championship tilts perishes on the rock of Kerry's 38th All Ireland victory .Good bets in Paddy Power odds, Kerry half time / full time leaders 7/1, Stephen OmBrien MOTM 12 /1 Is fèidir leo

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 03/09/2019 21:49:07    2232568

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Real dub you have got humble but I say as well a few of of our own namely sligo 37 have disappeared off this page 37 with all his words of wisdom coming from his education back ground. Again it was the ordinary guy who was the true man of kerry football. Ciarrai abu"
Traleegerry don't know where your hang up on education comes from, perhaps something like 'where ignorance is bliss tis folly to be wise' has put the brakes on Anyone who puts down contrary opinion with a snide remark betrays pathological insecurity . The word 'forum' borrowed from the Roman space of that name is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages . Conversation is killed by attempted put downs . I would not think I am any more educated than anyone else on this page, more open minded maybe on the basis of remarks like yours. Beir Bua a chara .

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 03/09/2019 22:05:54    2232574

Link

Great summation Horsebox.

From my perspective I'm not sure what changes could be made. What do you do with McCaffery? Either White needs to get tighter on him or switch with Begley who probably won't fare much better being realistic. It didn't look like White was actually man marking him to be fair. I wonder what instructions he had? You could try O'Brien on that side but if it's at the expense of his own game then I'd prefer not to.

Howard caused all sorts of problems too but I'd leave Spillane in there with him, again I don't see a better option on the bench, Sherwood maybe?

I was delighted for Jack Barry the last day after all the criticism he got earlier in the year. He is a fine player that looks back to fitness now and will surely start the replay.

I would have no great issue if the same team starts as long as there is something done to minimise McCaffery's influence, you can't be giving up 1-3 to a half back. He is one of those rare defenders you have to game plan for.

I think tactically we got things right for the most part, it's just a pity we couldn't nail a few of those goals.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1643 - 03/09/2019 22:10:00    2232576

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads have ye seen the 'dublinlive' link about the Kerry vs Dublin fans on the Luas..."
Yeh I saw it, its very good :D

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 03/09/2019 22:20:58    2232578

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "I would drop White, Start Tommy Walsh inside with Geaney and Clifford and put Stephen o brien on McCafferry. Spring Killian again at the 40-45 min mark. If you drop White you open up the problem about crokes nominating a new captain..."
Paul Murphy visa captain. He captained us against Clare and Tyrone. This is pre determined so not an issue in my opinion. I also recall Keane not being a fan of the current captain selection system in a n interview in January. I don't think he would be swayed by captaincy as criteria for selection

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4256 - 03/09/2019 22:41:22    2232586

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Thought I was always humble :D"
I Don't take much notice of the majority of posters from the main forum but i gotta say RealDub is a very fair and balanced poster even if he is a Dub lol.

GreenAndGold74 (Kerry) - Posts: 94 - 03/09/2019 22:58:33    2232592

Link

Replying To GreenAndGold74:  "I Don't take much notice of the majority of posters from the main forum but i gotta say RealDub is a very fair and balanced poster even if he is a Dub lol."
Realdub is one of the good ones for sure.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9984 - 04/09/2019 10:11:21    2232656

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  ""Only after seeing the positioning of Tommy Walsh and David Moran for the last free. Tommy had a hold of Moran's shorts and was going to hoist him up over the crossbar if the free was going to drop. it would have been amazing if it panned out.. i would love to know who thought of that and was it pre-planned?"

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry)

Contrary to the rules. It would have been a free out."
I would love to know where in the rules it states you can do that?

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 63 - 04/09/2019 12:22:25    2232698

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "I would love to know where in the rules it states you can do that?"
I very much doubt the current rules legislate for it. I also don't know how it could be deemed a free out as suggested above given Kerry are the defending team in that play.

Referee could deem it dangerous play if the player in the air sticks a foot out at the risk of catching another player with a boot?

Either way it's a bit of a gimmicky idea and not one we will see too often. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the ball came their way though.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1643 - 04/09/2019 13:01:46    2232721

Link

Can anyone confirm are the county board going to Roger us for an additional €10 again for the privilege of supporting them.

They want support and they'll get support but surely they'll play fair and not completely screw us

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4256 - 04/09/2019 13:12:31    2232723

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I very much doubt the current rules legislate for it. I also don't know how it could be deemed a free out as suggested above given Kerry are the defending team in that play.

Referee could deem it dangerous play if the player in the air sticks a foot out at the risk of catching another player with a boot?

Either way it's a bit of a gimmicky idea and not one we will see too often. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the ball came their way though."
Well if nothing else it shows they are thinking on their feet and thinking outside the box and that combined with Tommy G's run ones making sure hawke eye was checked, that Rock was made take the free from where the foul was committed etc shows that this is a set up that has thought of every little detail.
We often bemoaned how good Dublin were at that and how in contrast under Fitz little things were not taken care of.
The men on our sideline are serious students of football and the Dubs now know they are up against it tactically!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5135 - 04/09/2019 13:25:38    2232728

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well if nothing else it shows they are thinking on their feet and thinking outside the box and that combined with Tommy G's run ones making sure hawke eye was checked, that Rock was made take the free from where the foul was committed etc shows that this is a set up that has thought of every little detail.
We often bemoaned how good Dublin were at that and how in contrast under Fitz little things were not taken care of.
The men on our sideline are serious students of football and the Dubs now know they are up against it tactically!"
Without a doubt. I think we got our tactics bang on last weekend and just didn't have that killer execution we needed for whatever reason. Our defending and discipline was very impressive to be fair to the lads. They need to repeat that again Saturday week and hope to convert more of those chances.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1643 - 04/09/2019 13:50:50    2232742

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Without a doubt. I think we got our tactics bang on last weekend and just didn't have that killer execution we needed for whatever reason. Our defending and discipline was very impressive to be fair to the lads. They need to repeat that again Saturday week and hope to convert more of those chances."
As a self confirmed hurler on the ditch, I admit my personal experience is set to nil. I can analyse patterns though. It usually makes for interesting conclusions.

Dublin will be stronger in midfield and convert more the next day. Tomorrow is promised to nobody but Gavin will surely do that much. Mind you, why he didn't move yer man after clouting Clifford once too often is beyond me.

Their intensity caught the Kerry forwards early on and their harrying near the end seemed to stun our men. Playing two big men up front from the off seems worth a go. Like the quare fellahs, you don't have to nail it that often to get the result you want. That Dublin fullback line can definitely be got at. Mixing it up and keeping them guessing might be the way to go.

Another thing that gets me is that this Dublin team shades close finishes by staying focused, upping the intensity and being more clinical. If our men learnt anything last time, it is this: if you have them by the throat early, you squeeze the life out of them... and keep doing it until well after the death rattle.

plike (Kerry) - Posts: 541 - 04/09/2019 14:54:14    2232762

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "Traleegerry don't know where your hang up on education comes from, perhaps something like 'where ignorance is bliss tis folly to be wise' has put the brakes on Anyone who puts down contrary opinion with a snide remark betrays pathological insecurity . The word 'forum' borrowed from the Roman space of that name is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages . Conversation is killed by attempted put downs . I would not think I am any more educated than anyone else on this page, more open minded maybe on the basis of remarks like yours. Beir Bua a chara ."
37 hang up with you may be not from education as there many many forms of education in life but you do like to spout your words in English and Irish your attitude early on regarding this kerry team was not one bit encouraging for both supporters of this and players on this as I said too you before pundits like the oses were playing mind games with the dubs and it worked a treat but you failed to see it and continued to over analysing our young. More encouraging goes long way . We came in under the reader and Thomas and darragh kept it that way. Ciarrai Abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 499 - 04/09/2019 15:36:37    2232782

Link

Well anyway I watched the game back last night and a few more thoughts:
The bad:
How were we not we'll ahead at half time, we could have been out of sight!
Far too lateral, far too passive in the final few minutes. That was the time to drive on, keeping popping the ball off, work it into a scoring position and get the next score. They became tight and nervous - inexperience and tiredness.
There was one moment in the Dublin half when Sherwood made a half attempt to get a spilled ball instead of driving on it as if he's life depended on it!
But also thought Connolly defo fouled Lynne out on the sideline which should have been.

The Good:
Jack Barry was brilliant, to put in a performance like that after so little football, hopefully that match brings him on a tonne.
Our defence was superb, even when we were under huge pressure in the last few minutes they didn't give Dublin any easy chances.
Killian Spillane came of age, YET another danger man to give the Dublin backs nightmares!
The self confidence of Clifford, after some bad wides at the start to still take a shot on and put it over the bar.
Ditto Tommy Walsh, that first attempt had us all groaning, but he backed himself again and showed he knows where the posts are!

Think Tommy should have been introduced sooner, don't think he should start next time though!
We've no real corner forward on the bench if Killian starts so will he be kept back too?

Lads whatever about whose learnt more and who hasn't, I'm hearing Small and Cian O are out for Saturday week. Add in the fact they're best marker Cooper was made a fool of and that Gavin obviously doesn't trust his backs on the bench (no sign of Philly etc) and I think they're creaking badly and they know it! How can they hope to cope when Geaney, Clifford and SOB bring their scoring boots next day?
D Dublin dam is going to be burst to pieces by our princes in attack and they know it!!!
So let's go back up there and get back our cup!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5135 - 04/09/2019 16:28:54    2232798

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "37 hang up with you may be not from education as there many many forms of education in life but you do like to spout your words in English and Irish your attitude early on regarding this kerry team was not one bit encouraging for both supporters of this and players on this as I said too you before pundits like the oses were playing mind games with the dubs and it worked a treat but you failed to see it and continued to over analysing our young. More encouraging goes long way . We came in under the reader and Thomas and darragh kept it that way. Ciarrai Abu"
Positive criticism is never meant to be discouraging from the outset I said I would be the first to rejoice if Kerry managed tnturn it around this year I just did not see the backline of the latter games in league namely Monaghan in Killarney and both games against Mayo as capable of handling Dublin or to a lesser extent Tyrone I stated Jack Sherwood to my mind was not full back had a year and a half ago expressed a wish to see Tadhg Morley tried there he has come good in a big way in that position and from people who have watched Jack Sherwood play since he was under 12 was told that Jack was crying out for a Michael Dara Mc Auley type role with Kerry I think he plays quite a lot around midfield for Firies and East Kerry some mane you posted no way he never played midfield Earlier in league ,the final in particular lack of height came against Kerry backs Mayo's Diarmuid O Connor and Ruane , until his injury had field days against them. I expressed my opinion that Killian Spillane should be played at corner forward I put my money albeit only€5 that Gavin Crowley would be man of the match convinced that if The Gap of Dunloe as I referred to the hole in the middle of the defence were not shored up it would be curtains Gavin did this manfully Lack of height cost Gavin White dearly, look again at the ease with which Howard fielded over him in the lead up to Mc Caffery's goal Gavin is better than he appeared in the drawn game and even if he does not start in the replay I imagine him having a huge role to play Yes Kerry belied the ridiculous odds os 5/1 on Sunday as in 13 and 16 they should have closed out the game this time the have every chance to redeem themselves and I am confident that the will do Ones for the future young Mangan of Laune Rangers and Pádraig O Connor of St Marys Cahersiveen I did announce the advent of the 2 Paul's O'shea and Wals 2 years ago I expect Liam Kearney and Graham o Sullivan to make a big impact in the coming year Faitfhul to one of the 4 main aims of the GAA as it was founded in 1884 I will always use my Irish language as I firmly believe "Tír gan teanga tír gan anam" whether my education was at a hedge school or University For me it is always Cíarraí Abù agus buíochas fè leith to all managers backroom people parents and ...teachers who have put Kerry where they are , on the cusp of 38th All ireland

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 04/09/2019 16:52:43    2232806

Link

Replying To plike:  "As a self confirmed hurler on the ditch, I admit my personal experience is set to nil. I can analyse patterns though. It usually makes for interesting conclusions.

Dublin will be stronger in midfield and convert more the next day. Tomorrow is promised to nobody but Gavin will surely do that much. Mind you, why he didn't move yer man after clouting Clifford once too often is beyond me.

Their intensity caught the Kerry forwards early on and their harrying near the end seemed to stun our men. Playing two big men up front from the off seems worth a go. Like the quare fellahs, you don't have to nail it that often to get the result you want. That Dublin fullback line can definitely be got at. Mixing it up and keeping them guessing might be the way to go.

Another thing that gets me is that this Dublin team shades close finishes by staying focused, upping the intensity and being more clinical. If our men learnt anything last time, it is this: if you have them by the throat early, you squeeze the life out of them... and keep doing it until well after the death rattle."
Exactly spot on

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 04/09/2019 17:01:47    2232810

Link

I would not be of the opinion that teachers put kerry football and what they did contribute they had plenty of holidays in which to do it. Unlike the odwyers and keanes. And I must say again criticism is fine. But praising the pupil some times brings him on more. Ciarrai Abu. Even in the dark times

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 499 - 04/09/2019 17:20:20    2232818

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "I would not be of the opinion that teachers put kerry football and what they did contribute they had plenty of holidays in which to do it. Unlike the odwyers and keanes. And I must say again criticism is fine. But praising the pupil some times brings him on more. Ciarrai Abu. Even in the dark times"
I would imagine St Brendan's Killarney,Tralee CBS ,St Michaels Listowel, in the old days Dingle CBS, Cahersiveen CBS, Coláiste Iosagáin Baile Mhùirne,(from where Seán Murphy ,Seamus Murphy ,
Tom Long Micheál ò Muircheartaigh graduated to their teaching careers) latterly Còláiste na Sgeilge (Jack O Connor Maurice Fitzgerald) Pobail Scoil Chorcha Dhuíbhne (EamonnFitzmaurice, Pádraig Corcoran Tommy Griffin) the litany could go on but all of those football nurseries provided raw material. Just think of recent players from those seats of learning all prepared in the cauldron that is Hogan Cup and Corn Uí Mhuírí. David Clifford,Dara Moynihan , David Shaw were first noticed in the green and gold of St Brendans their teachers having helped them to develop their skills The minor successes followed on from the college successes of the afore mentioned places The great Jack O Shea was always quick to remind us of the work his teachers did with him when he was a pupil at The CBS in his native town. As I say all backroom people irrespective of professions have contributed hugely...... Tosach maith, leath na h-oibre

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 04/09/2019 17:53:49    2232830

Link

Question. Have the media brainwashed everybody into believing that Dublin were/are unbeatable?. There is no disputing they are a formidable team.

GreenAndGold74 (Kerry) - Posts: 94 - 04/09/2019 18:43:51    2232841

Link