Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well done Naomh Conaill. Through to the ulster final. Donegal football seems to be in a good place.

Samsforthehills (Donegal) - Posts: 1018 - 16/11/2019 21:06:36    2249916

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Good luck to Naomh conal. Buncrana. And st nauls this weekend. Heading up tonight hoping for a donegal double. Nice article in the star today by eamon Mc gee talks about the 3 matches and his sending off. Fair play to him he blames nobody but himself and he wishes n conal luck tonight.. always admired eamon a good honest fellow."
Would love to have read that article by the sounds of it rorys.....what did he say about the games and the sending off? X

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2168 - 16/11/2019 21:20:38    2249918

Link

Huge congrats to NC on a thoroughly deserving win tonight. If anything the final scoreline was kind to the losers as NC left a few scores behind them largely down to coughing up possession in positive situations when losing their footing or needlessly carrying the ball into contact.. A few of their players obviously had incorrect footwear. That apart it Glenties were largely in complete control confident in possession which is one of their hallmarks. As is their excellent defending and ability to win so much breaking ball. Massive performances from Ciaran Thompson, Leo and Eoghan McGettigan. Going to take a massive performance to stop them in Ulster. Plus looking beyond no team will look forward to playing them such is their boa constrictor like defense and athleticism.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2168 - 16/11/2019 21:31:19    2249923

Link

Well done Glenties. Looked very composed on the ball, defended all over the field admirably and plenty of men looked like they could take a score. When I saw how poor they were in the county final of 2018, I wouldn't have thought that they would be this good just over a year later.

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 803 - 16/11/2019 21:56:22    2249930

Link

Leo, Thompson and mcGettigan were a step above tonight. Good luck in final against a fancied Kilcoo side.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 444 - 16/11/2019 22:13:25    2249932

Link

Well done Naomh conal good all round display. I must say Leo was immense. The year with donegal has brought young Mc gettigan on he showed great strength to get that point in the first half. Must say the support n conall had was brilliant.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 687 - 17/11/2019 11:23:31    2249962

Link

Best of luck in final glenties can't see use been beat if use bring same attitude to it ...whole of Donegal are behind use...similiar to gaoth dobhair last year ...great times for Donegal football

marty234 (Donegal) - Posts: 69 - 17/11/2019 13:35:51    2249976

Link

Well done to Glenties, that was a terrific performance from start to finish. They probably should have won by a lot more. Leo and Ciaran Thompson dominated the midfield area which gave them a great platform. Eoghan McGettigan had a great game and looks like the real deal. Good performances from Ethan O'Donnell and Anthony Thompson as well. I know Kilcoo are a very good side but I fancy Glenties, they have the bit between their teeth and will take some stopping. Only negative is that they should have racked up a bigger score in a game they dominated.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1561 - 17/11/2019 14:59:36    2249989

Link

I thought Leo had a brilliant game last night,his best ever I would say and definitely should have been man of the match.I say that because I wouldn't always be a fan of his but he is very good at this time of year on the slower ptches.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 594 - 17/11/2019 15:02:40    2249991

Link

Every game is different and throws up new challenges but have to say the display of glenties versus Kilcoo today has to have glebties as favourites.
The discipline and control that glenties have. Leo and ciaran T booked early but managed to drive the team on without risking second yellow .

Hope they win ulster now. And more. Great team

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 154 - 17/11/2019 21:53:53    2250065

Link

All the best to Naomh Conaill in the final. They have a lovely blend of power and pace, youth and experience. Based on the games at the weekend you'd make the Glenties men slight favorites but Kilcoo are a shrewd outfit and it'll take another big performance to beat them.

Who do the Ulster winners play in the All Ireland semis?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6549 - 18/11/2019 08:51:52    2250088

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "All the best to Naomh Conaill in the final. They have a lovely blend of power and pace, youth and experience. Based on the games at the weekend you'd make the Glenties men slight favorites but Kilcoo are a shrewd outfit and it'll take another big performance to beat them.

Who do the Ulster winners play in the All Ireland semis?"
Think its Leinster this year which could be any of the teams left. Ballyboden will be favourites but few times I seen them they did not entirely convince me. They have a tough game at the weekend and I give Garrycastle every chance who are a quick passing side with plenty of youth in their side but with the little bit of needed experience too with a decent bench. I make Glenties favourites for the final too but like that not by much. Kilcoo are a seasoned Ulster outfit and have a big trump card in Mickey Moran manning the dugout. Saying that Derrygonnelly should have beaten them yesterday and NC don't give much away as we know. Congrats to St Nauls on getting to an Ulster semi final. In truth yesterday without Daniel Brennan was going to be very difficult and so it proved. Not a player they could afford to be without and so it proved.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2168 - 18/11/2019 11:12:17    2250115

Link

Maith sibh Naomh Conaill! What a brilliant first half performance especially, seriously impressive. Leo was unbelievable I thought.

I would fancy NC against Kilcoo based off the semi-final performances however you never know in a final obviously. If they bring the same discipline and intensity in defence I think they will be very hard beat.

Ádh mór for the final now lads, great times for Donegal football

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 959 - 18/11/2019 12:33:11    2250124

Link

Great to see Naomh Conell going strong..just a word on Ciaran Thompson, I think he is absolutely class and now showing his true colours. Hugh amount of talent. Would it be worth having him and Hughie in central midfield for the county team. I think that's as good of a partnership as there is in Ulster. Also a mention to Leo, is he still on the county panel?..playing brilliantly at the moment. Still think he could do a job for us. Not bumming or anything but I honestly believe the talent is in Donegal team team to challenge and beat the Dubs no messing. I wish Jim was there drilling this message into them because I honestly do believe that there's serious talent in this Donegal team..ok you need a bit of luck but nothing went right for Donegal last year especially against Mayo and Kerry..but there is serious talent in this Donegal team. Just a wee bit of luck, all players commit and no major injuries..not much to ask for :)

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 60 - 18/11/2019 15:38:37    2250175

Link

Good result at the weekend for NC. Brilliant job keeping McManus quiet and showed some good attacking play in the 1st half.

Best of luck in the final and hopefully they get the win. To have 2 consecutive Donegal teams win Ulster would be great for the county.

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 90 - 18/11/2019 15:48:16    2250179

Link

As a few folks have mentioned Leo was very good the last night, his best performance of the year in a big championship match. I don't think it was as good as his 2015 donegal club final but very impressive. Ciaran thompson again very solid and i see him winning the player of the donegal championship as he was excellent throughout that competition.
They definitely are a bit more positive in ulster than the donegal final and their early burst of points almost settled the game. Clontibret disappointed me though. I though they'd have been a bit better after disposing of Scotstown and Crossmaglen. Kilcoo will be a hard nut to crack and no doubt have been targeting ulster after getting close to it a number of times. Anyhow best of luck to them.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 220 - 18/11/2019 22:53:31    2250253

Link