Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Brilliant match

Best team just about shaded it

Best luck to the glenties mob in the final

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 06/10/2019 15:06:24    2241601

Link

Congratulations ro Gaoith Dobhair on deservedly getting to the county final today.

It was a richly deserves win with midfield superiority & 3 goals at crucial times, especially Kevin Cassidy's third, being the difference between the teams.

Kilcar never gave up trying & hauled themselves back into the game when all looked lost but they will feel disappointed at how much possession Gaoith Dobhair got at midfield especially from breaking ball.

Two good semi finals today in front of a good crowd.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 06/10/2019 17:52:32    2241629

Link

Two good entertaining games. Naomh Conaill just shaded the 1st but probably just deserved it. I have to say I was 1 who fancied Kilcar but was shocked at how bad they were. Gweedore look back to form after a near shock versus Bundoran.

Be an interesting final. Repeat of last year. Gweedore will be fancied but it won't be easy. Naomh Conaill have been in 4 of the last 5 finals, no mean feat.

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 91 - 06/10/2019 18:06:59    2241635

Link

First game today was excellent and thought Naomh Conaill just about deserved it but thats an excellent young Eunans team that will probably win a title in the next 3 - 4 years.

Well done to Gweedore too, that win will bring them on again and should be a good final. Mc Fadden Ferry very good today for Gweedore but can someone please tell Carroll to work on his shooting!!. As for Kilcar they were set up very poorly for the entire game. They just sat back and waited to counter but when Gweedore just kept the ball they had no plan B. Doherty is a poor manager and was found out today.

Another plus was seeing Gillespie back playing again. He doesn't look ready yet for the county return but hopefully be up to speed again for the league.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1552 - 06/10/2019 18:55:54    2241640

Link

Niall O Donnell nearly beat Glenties on his own today. Eunan Doherty very good as was Kevin Mc Gettigan. NC kickouts are poor and Gdore will make hay.

Interesting Paddy Mc B pulled himself to half forward and hit some fine scores. Should have been done sooner as he wasn't get much joy of Mc Gee who was vgood on him inside.

Solid performance from gdore. While Carroll doesn't have the shooting boots on yet, he gets through some amount of work. A vgood player and was brilliant today.

Good to see Gillepsie back and DOB shine

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 387 - 06/10/2019 19:47:10    2241653

Link

Did not get up to Donegal as planned but managed to avoid the score in the Kilcar Gweedore game till watching the deferred coverage. Very composed and mature performance from Gweedore who controlled the middle third and denied any goal threat from Kilcar. Despite doubts about their form they seem to be timing it perfectly with plenty of improvement to come. Thought Eamon McGee was excellent around the middle. Odhran McFF also put in a huge performance. Daire O'Baoill carried his excellent inter county form into day and Kilcar could not curtail him. Really hope the county set up can tempt MacNialais back in classiest player on display today. Great to see Kieran Gillespie back and hopefully he gets a bit of luck. Decent performances from Paddy and Andrew McClean but those apart most of Kilcar's main men struggled to make an impact. Ryan was curtailed fairly well and he will be disappointed with some of his shooting. Kilcar were very predictable for large parts unlike Gweedore who while predominantly playing a running game were able to switch it up getting some lovely scores from flowing moves.

On the other game how did Eoin McGeehin and Eoghan McGettigan perform overall? On a side note the intermediate replay between Cloughaneely and Ballyshannon fixed for Wednesday night which is tough on both sides especially Cloughaneely who played Monday night in awful conditions. You think common sense would prevail but when does that happen in the GAA as far as fixtures are concerned. If the replay was next weekend and the final moved by a week and Cloughaneely were to prevail imagine the positive impact it would have on the Cloughaneely and Gweedore areas to have both neighbouring teams in a county final on the same weekend. This after both areas were united in grief after the terrible tragedy of last January. Nice one Donegal CCC!!!!!!

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2186 - 06/10/2019 20:56:18    2241664

Link

First game was good but I thought Glenties deserved the victory in the end though Eunans ran them close enough, lots of wasted attacks from Eunans,Rory Kavanagh wasted a lot of possesion at times I thought,
as I suspected Kilcar couldn't cope with the physical battle and they threw in a few dirty enough hits on the Gaoth Dobhair lads out of frustration, haven't watched it back on tv yet, great to see Cass in such great form and what a Rolls Royce of a footballer Odhran Mac Niallias is, should be a great final but I think Gaoth Dobhair will win it by 3 or 4 points.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 783 - 06/10/2019 21:54:27    2241671

Link

Glenties were just a bit better in the first match, they have a better spread of scoring players (9v4) and that served them well. Niall o'donnell had a fine game on top of a fine championship, he's a lovely footballer to watch though St eunans are just a little to reliant on him. It's a young team and seem to have a few more coming from recent underage teams and future seems bright enough. The fortunate goal really helped eunans and glenties were a bit rattled but they composed themselves and deserved their win.

Gweedore were very controlled in their win. They devoured kilcar around the middle and it gave then a great platform. Gweedore got plenty short kickouts away and controlled the ball then for long streches, not always scoring but it ate the clock. Kilcar pressed up nearer the end and gweedore would bomb it long and score. Someone mentioned Mcbrearty coming out helping kikcar and it really did. He got his hands on the ball and used it well and kicked some decent points coming on to the ball. As they don't seem to have any big man at all coming through they'll l have to consider his positioning for next year. As a few folks mentioned obaoill, omff, eamon mcgee had very decent games. Carroll got through a lot of work and they look to be nursing Gillespie back into it. Cassidy still adds plenty at ff. They probably could use him a bit more to be honest. Mcniallais provides that bit of class. He's got a great talent.

Although gweedore will be big favorites now and will probably win the final I wouldn't rule glenties out. They are a well balanced team.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 223 - 06/10/2019 23:39:46    2241687

Link

Two excellent games yesterday, a real treat. Donegal club football is in a good place when you have 2 semi finals like that fought out.

First game was a great nip and tuck battle. All credit to the youngest of the 4 teams on display- St Eunans, they really gave it a rattle and on another day could have forced a replay. Without a doubt they are going to contest for many years to come. All their main players are comfortably in this early-mid 20s and with Rory Kavanagh well able to play that Michael Hegerty type roll for years to come, they are going to get better as the age average rises.
As for Glenties- absolute dogs for battle, the drive and desire they have to get to county finals days is something else- year after year shoulder to the wheel. They will need to show something else in the final though to avoid a 3rd straight disappointment but if there is 1 team who could pull a shock or a rabbit from the hat on the day, or game manage their way to an against the odds win its Glenties. If anyone was asked 6 weeks back, who are the only side who can stop Gweedore/Kilcar- most people would have said Glenties- and thats how it remains.

The 2nd game was just a fantastic spectacle of 2 teams at a very high level in the heat of battle where every ball won, every turnover, every wide mattered to the final outcome. For both teams- on every line of the pitch there is multiple current county standard players, with 1 notable exception- the Kilcar GK and fullback line are not at that level. It was an area of weakness and it was Kilcars undoing. You have to feel sorry for that, they cant just go out and buy a fullback line. The fact is they have a county standard team, and a club standard fullback line.

Each Gweedore goal was more vital than the previous. First goal takes them from behind to infront, 2nd goal gets them off to a flier in the 2nd half when its a 2pt game at throw in, and the 3rd goal comes when Kilcar have hauled the lead back to 2pts and have the tails up. Michael Murphy said it during the week- at the top level goals win games and that was a classic illustration.

If you take the goals out of it- Kilcar have given as good as they got, they are physically inferior but stood up- they were not bullied, they didnt roll over- and judging by the amount of times the Gweedore physio got herself on TV , Kilcar were the ones doing the hitting. But unfortunately for them you cant filter goals out of a game and Gweedore knew this and pounced for 3 great ones. Fill the sails of a team like Gweedore with goals and they are not gonna be beaten- they are too strong and have to much know how.

Got to pick out 2 men for special attention. Neil McGee. There has been a doubt about Neil in recent years at county level, for afew years hes just not himself at that level and hasnt been for awhile, injuries certainly a factor. I think people would have been looking for confirmation hes done at the top level if McBrearty roasted him yesterday. Not a chance. 3 or 4 times in the first half McBrearty tested him inside and each time McGee won the battle- to the extent Paddy takes himself out of the situation and begins to play on the 40, which is a smart move by him but was the white flag in terms of that particular 1-1 battle.

The 2nd man is O'Casside. It is a crime against Donegal football that we havent seen this man wear the yellow and green of Donegal in EIGHT years over a BOOK!! at 37 years of age he is influencing games at the highest standard of club football- he is a colossal at full forward, and cute enough to move back and lend a hand when required. at 37 years of age hes hardly going to return for Donegal, tho i've no doubt he would contribute, however if you think back over the last 5 or 6 years, he might have been the difference between 1 and 2 All Ireland's in that period, and during the infamous Rory Gallagher spell, when Murphy was trying to play about 4 different positions at once and doing none of them well- what difference would it have made with Murphy stationed at midfield and O'Casside on the edge of the square?- i'll tell you, a massive one.

It is a joy to watch him play out the end of his career the way he is, and a fitting redemption for the wrong that was inflicted on him. One can only imagine what he suffered as a Donegal team cavalcade with Sam Maguire literally went by his house in 2012 heading for the Gweedore club house as he was made to be the villain of the piece, for very little verging on nothing at all. The tables have turned for him and he deserves every bit of success hes helping to create.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 07/10/2019 10:09:00    2241733

Link

County board showing complete contempt for aodh ruadh and especially cloughaneely, both teams should refuse to play and let them award the cup to whoever. They wouldn't agree to the county team having to adhere to that schedule, why do club players deserve less?

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 463 - 07/10/2019 13:03:43    2241801

Link

Shameful from the County Board.

Samsforthehills (Donegal) - Posts: 1019 - 07/10/2019 14:35:31    2241841

Link

Really enjoyed the double header yesterday. I fancied eunans to beat Naomh conall but was proved wrong by a very composed Glenties team. Niall o donnell was a joy to watch. Hats off to n conal , ciaran Thompson was outstanding I'm really looking forward to his aerial battle with Mc . niallas in the final. The second game went as I expected. Gweedore had there homework done on the Kilcar keeper and made him kick long all day which played into there hands. Kilcar are a lovely team to watch but they didn't have the power and strength of m Carroll Mc niallas the Mc gees and k Cassidy. The final should be a cracker, no doubt about it n conal have improved a lot since last year but it's a big ask to beat this Gweedore team. It should be a great occasion between two fantastic and proud clubs.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 694 - 07/10/2019 18:55:44    2241907

Link

Well done to cloughaneely on their win last night, but they have an uphill battle to win the final given the ridiculous timeframe of this competition

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 463 - 10/10/2019 08:47:24    2242491

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Well done to cloughaneely on their win last night, but they have an uphill battle to win the final given the ridiculous timeframe of this competition"
Hopefully the Cloughaneely lads can make sufficient recovery to give Sunday a good rattle. Be fantastic if they can do it.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2186 - 10/10/2019 15:22:21    2242587

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Well done to cloughaneely on their win last night, but they have an uphill battle to win the final given the ridiculous timeframe of this competition"
I'd say you were absolutely delighted with you being anti-ballyshannon

Donegal007 (Donegal) - Posts: 5 - 10/10/2019 15:55:02    2242596

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Really enjoyed the double header yesterday. I fancied eunans to beat Naomh conall but was proved wrong by a very composed Glenties team. Niall o donnell was a joy to watch. Hats off to n conal , ciaran Thompson was outstanding I'm really looking forward to his aerial battle with Mc . niallas in the final. The second game went as I expected. Gweedore had there homework done on the Kilcar keeper and made him kick long all day which played into there hands. Kilcar are a lovely team to watch but they didn't have the power and strength of m Carroll Mc niallas the Mc gees and k Cassidy. The final should be a cracker, no doubt about it n conal have improved a lot since last year but it's a big ask to beat this Gweedore team. It should be a great occasion between two fantastic and proud clubs."
Hi rorysboys: On the final, how do you see Naomh Conaill setting up for kickouts? They might have to flood midfield with big men to match Gaoth Dobhair, the 2 Thompson's, Leo, young Gallagher and Byrne across the pitch, they would have more height and power than Kilcar and could compete with Carroll, Mac Niallais, Mc Gee, O Baoill, Gillespie etc.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 415 - 10/10/2019 21:25:32    2242684

Link

Well done Cloich Cheann Fhaola, I hope the ridiculous scheduling doesn't impact them too much and they can find another big push for Sunday. The reserves in the final as well! Best of luck to all

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 959 - 11/10/2019 20:12:17    2242886

Link

Replying To Donegal007:  "I'd say you were absolutely delighted with you being anti-ballyshannon"
Absolutely not scheduling was against both teams who should have agreed not to adhere to it, I will always congratulate the winning team although even had aodh ruadh won it still doesn't change the fact that one team has a huge advantage handed to them by the county board in the final.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 463 - 12/10/2019 00:15:36    2242935

Link

Replying To Donegal007:  "I'd say you were absolutely delighted with you being anti-ballyshannon"
In any case not anti Ballyshannon, just anti big head's.....

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 463 - 12/10/2019 00:19:12    2242936

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "In any case not anti Ballyshannon, just anti big head's....."
You're comments a few months ago demonstrated your disliking to I don't know the town itself or that group of players .Someone from around there must've wronged you before .whatever about them they play a positive brand of football and yes they are nieve at times but they are highly entertaining and are rarely in a bad game of football win or lose

Donegal007 (Donegal) - Posts: 5 - 12/10/2019 10:26:34    2242957

Link