Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Add a good day to the list & I would back Kilcar at the moment.

Gaoith Dobhair would be the big threat, a super team with talent all through but Kilcar have the forwards."
Don't be too confident of that ,when they meet a better team ,but not Sunday .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 19/09/2019 23:23:51    2237719

Link

Thank you for all the leads. Looks like Saturday will be the last day of the current good spell so it will have to be a toss up between Narin/Sliabh League and Errigal/Glenveagh. I'm reliably informed that Naomh Conaill and Killybegs are in pole position to qualify from Saturday's group so the plan is to see two games on Sunday. It would be great to see Kilcar in action again but I may wait until the knock out stages to do so. From talking to people and reading your posts it seems that the most competitive fixtures will be St Michaels/St Eunans @2pm and Glenfin/Four Masters @ 5pm where all the teams have to get a result to ensure qualification. Looking at the many familiar names on the St Michaels panel I'm curious as to know they haven't won a county title yet ? Sunday looks a little congested, was there any demand to conclude two groups on Saturday and two on Sunday?
Arrived in Donegal this evening, glorious weather to be in your beautiful county.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 353 - 19/09/2019 23:43:32    2237724

Link

Replying To Curlew66:  "Thank you for all the leads. Looks like Saturday will be the last day of the current good spell so it will have to be a toss up between Narin/Sliabh League and Errigal/Glenveagh. I'm reliably informed that Naomh Conaill and Killybegs are in pole position to qualify from Saturday's group so the plan is to see two games on Sunday. It would be great to see Kilcar in action again but I may wait until the knock out stages to do so. From talking to people and reading your posts it seems that the most competitive fixtures will be St Michaels/St Eunans @2pm and Glenfin/Four Masters @ 5pm where all the teams have to get a result to ensure qualification. Looking at the many familiar names on the St Michaels panel I'm curious as to know they haven't won a county title yet ? Sunday looks a little congested, was there any demand to conclude two groups on Saturday and two on Sunday?
Arrived in Donegal this evening, glorious weather to be in your beautiful county."
Re: St Michaels- they had 6 men on the panel when Donegal won the All Ireland in 2012- inc 3 who played prominent playing parts, in more recent times Mark Anthony McGinley and Michael Langan are/were regulars in the Donegal team so they dont lack for experience. Contrast that with Glenswilly who during the period in question picked up 3 county titles with only 2 Donegal regulars and 2 who would have been around the squad at different times.

I suppose their lack of success in the county championship could be attributed to the strength of the overall championship as a whole and possibly a lack of luck along the way. Having not won the Dr Maguire during a golden age of players for the club i'd be very surprised if they were to do it any time soon especially with McFadden and Toye on the wrong side of 35.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 20/09/2019 10:32:32    2237775

Link

Replying To Curlew66:  "Thank you for all the leads. Looks like Saturday will be the last day of the current good spell so it will have to be a toss up between Narin/Sliabh League and Errigal/Glenveagh. I'm reliably informed that Naomh Conaill and Killybegs are in pole position to qualify from Saturday's group so the plan is to see two games on Sunday. It would be great to see Kilcar in action again but I may wait until the knock out stages to do so. From talking to people and reading your posts it seems that the most competitive fixtures will be St Michaels/St Eunans @2pm and Glenfin/Four Masters @ 5pm where all the teams have to get a result to ensure qualification. Looking at the many familiar names on the St Michaels panel I'm curious as to know they haven't won a county title yet ? Sunday looks a little congested, was there any demand to conclude two groups on Saturday and two on Sunday?
Arrived in Donegal this evening, glorious weather to be in your beautiful county."
St Michael's should have probably picked up a title in recent times but have a habit of flattering to deceive. I agree with Manus that their best opportunities have probably passed given the strength of Kilcar, Gweedore and St Eunans with the latter having waves of talent to come through.

To add to list of potential games Ballyshannon and Downings should be a good game at intermediate. Glenties take on Sean McC with lots of talent on display there including Oisin Gallen unless he is pulled with an impending trip to Oz on the radar. Guess depends where ur based and travel plans for Sunday. Not a bad choice between Glenveagh and Sliabh League on a beautiful day. Hope you enjoy ur few days anyways. No better place in the country when the sky is sunny and the air is warm.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2186 - 20/09/2019 11:07:27    2237787

Link

Enjoy your break curlew, you are blessed with the wearher!!

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 20/09/2019 14:02:36    2237827

Link

Well thats the group stages concluded.

In the senior Championship you could say all groups went to form except for the exit of Glenswilly which may just signal the end of an era in the Glen. Im predicting the Foxhall men to drop down to intermediate within the next 5 years.

Eunans given a hell of a scare at the Bridge but to emerge from that group unbeaten with only 1 of their games at home is impressive in itself and showed resolve.

The make up of the QFs spells out only 1 thing.... the big 4 to make the Semis- Kilcar, Gweedore, Eunans and Glenties.

A lively October in store.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 23/09/2019 10:32:46    2238447

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Well thats the group stages concluded.

In the senior Championship you could say all groups went to form except for the exit of Glenswilly which may just signal the end of an era in the Glen. Im predicting the Foxhall men to drop down to intermediate within the next 5 years.

Eunans given a hell of a scare at the Bridge but to emerge from that group unbeaten with only 1 of their games at home is impressive in itself and showed resolve.

The make up of the QFs spells out only 1 thing.... the big 4 to make the Semis- Kilcar, Gweedore, Eunans and Glenties.

A lively October in store."
Delighted that Saturday's games are due to be broadcast, although I will admit that they seem like a slightly odd choice for national TV.

Going to go for:

Senior - Eunans / Kilcar / Gaoth Dobhair / Glenties
Intermediate - Naomh Columba / Aodh Ruadh / Cloich Cheann Fhaola / Red Hughs
Junior - LK Gaels / Urris / Buncrana / Convoy

Hard to know who to pick as the most likely for an upset in the senior. Could Bundoran just outscore GD on the day? Could Milford grind it out against Eunans? Or will the quarters be quiet again, which would at least set us up for some serious semi final games.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 23/09/2019 21:13:28    2238638

Link

Milford could cause an unset , Eunans have only one scoring forward O Donnell , if he is marked or has an off day then I cant see where they will get enough scores to win game. Milford have some serious young players coming through and were badly hindered during the League with injuries.

culmore (None) - Posts: 1373 - 23/09/2019 21:54:11    2238650

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Enjoy your break curlew, you are blessed with the wearher!!"
Hi MuckossHead: No Hegarty or Mc Ginley on Sunday last either. Second game they have both missed. Any updates on it.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 415 - 24/09/2019 10:26:57    2238706

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi MuckossHead: No Hegarty or Mc Ginley on Sunday last either. Second game they have both missed. Any updates on it."
Hegarty is being wrapped in cotton wool, he's no spring chicken & McGinley has just joined the guards.

Both will be available if needed.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 24/09/2019 21:00:02    2238896

Link

Replying To culmore:  "Milford could cause an unset , Eunans have only one scoring forward O Donnell , if he is marked or has an off day then I cant see where they will get enough scores to win game. Milford have some serious young players coming through and were badly hindered during the League with injuries."
Rory Kavanagh got a red so he is out & I hear that Rory Carr picked up a serious injury. If there is to be an upset this will be it.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4949 - 24/09/2019 21:01:33    2238897

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Rory Kavanagh got a red so he is out & I hear that Rory Carr picked up a serious injury. If there is to be an upset this will be it."
Milford to teach the boys from the town a lesson on Saturday evening.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 24/09/2019 21:58:19    2238920

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Rory Kavanagh got a red so he is out & I hear that Rory Carr picked up a serious injury. If there is to be an upset this will be it."
Thanks for the update on Kilcar. Funny auld time for first game on Sunday, I'd say a lot of neutrals will give that one a miss.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 415 - 24/09/2019 22:34:17    2238934

Link

Feel sorry for Rory Carr, the lad has no luck. As a minor he looked exceptional.

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - Posts: 372 - 25/09/2019 09:52:26    2238986

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "I wouldn't want any Roscommon man going back home with the impression that what he will see in the Eunan's St Michael's game is Donegal football at it's entertaining best."
Lazy comment

The second half at the bridge was a fantastic contest

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:03:37    2239381

Link

So what did you make of the Game at the bridge ?

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:05:34    2239383

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Re: St Michaels- they had 6 men on the panel when Donegal won the All Ireland in 2012- inc 3 who played prominent playing parts, in more recent times Mark Anthony McGinley and Michael Langan are/were regulars in the Donegal team so they dont lack for experience. Contrast that with Glenswilly who during the period in question picked up 3 county titles with only 2 Donegal regulars and 2 who would have been around the squad at different times.

I suppose their lack of success in the county championship could be attributed to the strength of the overall championship as a whole and possibly a lack of luck along the way. Having not won the Dr Maguire during a golden age of players for the club i'd be very surprised if they were to do it any time soon especially with McFadden and Toye on the wrong side of 35."
St micks have lost a lot of massive Games to us in champ the last 10 years

They have been very unlucky to come up against a formidable team in its prime before the re-build

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:07:33    2239385

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Well thats the group stages concluded.

A lively October in store."
Ridiculous comment on the Glen

They are doing massive work out there and will come good again soon

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:08:43    2239386

Link

Replying To Goitse:  "Delighted that Saturday's games are due to be broadcast, although I will admit that they seem like a slightly odd choice for national TV.

Going to go for:

Senior - Eunans / Kilcar / Gaoth Dobhair / Glenties
Intermediate - Naomh Columba / Aodh Ruadh / Cloich Cheann Fhaola / Red Hughs
Junior - LK Gaels / Urris / Buncrana / Convoy

Hard to know who to pick as the most likely for an upset in the senior. Could Bundoran just outscore GD on the day? Could Milford grind it out against Eunans? Or will the quarters be quiet again, which would at least set us up for some serious semi final games."
The quarters will all be fairly one sided

Nothing to see here until the semis

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:09:43    2239388

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Hegarty is being wrapped in cotton wool, he's no spring chicken & McGinley has just joined the guards.

Both will be available if needed."
His legs are gone - cotton wool not much use to that

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1139 - 26/09/2019 14:10:23    2239389

Link