Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Must say Well done to Kilcoo they were be far the better team yesterday and would have been very unfair on them if we did somehow snatch goal in the dyeing minutes. On friday Joe Brolly and Tony Scullion were in Glenties for up for the match and they warned us that Kilcoo are lethal bad for thrash talk and they are a dirty team. Well that was utter nonsense because I thought Kilcoo showed pure class on and off the field even with the winning speech.

On the Cassidy brothers its really shown there true colours now and I would like to draw everyones attention to 3-4 weeks ago when NC were being bashed on here for saying very unsavoury comments in the final well can those same people go read Micheal Carrolls tweet were he confirms it was all just rumours.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 314 - 02/12/2019 11:04:45    2252633

Link

Anyway.. next year , rankings? I would still have kilcar at 1 after that it's very tight between the other three. Glenties will still have that never say die attitude , Eunans with a years experience just like gweedore before they went on and won the championship last year and then gweedore , few men on the other side of 30 and maybe young lads will head off. I'll go for the black and amber

Inside92 (Donegal) - Posts: 9 - 02/12/2019 11:07:01    2252636

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Must say Well done to Kilcoo they were be far the better team yesterday and would have been very unfair on them if we did somehow snatch goal in the dyeing minutes. On friday Joe Brolly and Tony Scullion were in Glenties for up for the match and they warned us that Kilcoo are lethal bad for thrash talk and they are a dirty team. Well that was utter nonsense because I thought Kilcoo showed pure class on and off the field even with the winning speech.

On the Cassidy brothers its really shown there true colours now and I would like to draw everyones attention to 3-4 weeks ago when NC were being bashed on here for saying very unsavoury comments in the final well can those same people go read Micheal Carrolls tweet were he confirms it was all just rumours."
You can hold your heads high. It wasn't to be yesterday but you'd had some year. I didn't rate yous at start of the year but you'd fairly proved me wrong. Well done

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 753 - 02/12/2019 11:31:24    2252642

Link

Hard luck to Glenties. I think that the 3 matches v Gweedore may have taken some toll there on Sunday. Was eventually going to catch up either in the legs or in the concentration levels.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3744 - 02/12/2019 14:43:58    2252718

Link

Replying To Donegalman:  "Hard luck to Glenties. I think that the 3 matches v Gweedore may have taken some toll there on Sunday. Was eventually going to catch up either in the legs or in the concentration levels."
I was thinking the same. Kilcoo definitely looked the fresher team while NC looked sluggish especially some of the older legs on the team. They were wide open at various stages of the first 40 mins which is unlike them. I thought they finally got their defensive structure into place for the remaining 20 mins. Credit to Mickey Moran for keeping Ciaran Thompson and Eoghan McGettigan quiet with his match ups. Similarly they tidied up their kickout strategy not giving NC the advantage there I thought they would have. On the reverse side NC could not contain Laverty, Eugene Brannigan or his brother (no 7) with their match ups which again was uncharacteristic. I thought Ethan O'Donnell was again fantastic and really stood up when others were faltering. Looking forward to seeing him in county colours in the league.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2289 - 02/12/2019 16:42:00    2252739

Link

Hard luck to Glenties after their heroics until yesterday.Glenties sideline seemed to get away from the game plan that served them well in Donegal champ and in the run up in Ulster.lumping balls in around the house got them back in the game albeit somewhat fortunately before half time.Going long meant they were bypassing Eoghan McGettigan who is their best attacker and was never in the game,think he touched the ball 3 times in 2nd half. With Leo and Ciaran being sub par Glenties were always going to be chasing the game. Kilcoo with the Johnsons and Darryl Brannigan carving holes in the Glenties defence,Mickey Moran Wiley old fox had his game plan perfect.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 238 - 02/12/2019 17:55:48    2252750

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Must say Well done to Kilcoo they were be far the better team yesterday and would have been very unfair on them if we did somehow snatch goal in the dyeing minutes. On friday Joe Brolly and Tony Scullion were in Glenties for up for the match and they warned us that Kilcoo are lethal bad for thrash talk and they are a dirty team. Well that was utter nonsense because I thought Kilcoo showed pure class on and off the field even with the winning speech.

On the Cassidy brothers its really shown there true colours now and I would like to draw everyones attention to 3-4 weeks ago when NC were being bashed on here for saying very unsavoury comments in the final well can those same people go read Micheal Carrolls tweet were he confirms it was all just rumours."
Painting an unsavory image of Kilcoo has more to do with a certain man's dislike of Mickey Moran. Not the only exaggeration told on Friday night. " Derry had a great team in mid 70s , winning back to back Ulster titles running the great Kerry team to two points but Mickey f.....d off to America for the 1977 championship"
Fact check 1 : final score in '76 AI semi final Kerry 5-14 Derry 1.10
2 : Derry knocked Donegal out of '77 Championship and Mickey Moran was on the score sheet for Derry.

Nevertheless an entertaining session which hopefully made a few bob for the club. Was hoping Glenties would win yesterday but Kilcoo were the hungrier and fresher team, NC didn't match their intensity until they conceded a second half goal and went on to dominate the final 20 minutes. Yesterday's final win was Kilcoo's big target goal for this year having won 8 Down titles and reaching 3 Ulster finals in the past decade. NC would have targeted a county title and were in bonus territory. Don't think playing in your 11th match was a factor as Kilcoo we're playing their 9th but playing 4 matches in 2 weeks was bound to take its toll at some stage. It was a most enjoyable final and you can be proud of your lads .

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 361 - 02/12/2019 18:28:00    2252755

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "Hard luck to Glenties after their heroics until yesterday.Glenties sideline seemed to get away from the game plan that served them well in Donegal champ and in the run up in Ulster.lumping balls in around the house got them back in the game albeit somewhat fortunately before half time.Going long meant they were bypassing Eoghan McGettigan who is their best attacker and was never in the game,think he touched the ball 3 times in 2nd half. With Leo and Ciaran being sub par Glenties were always going to be chasing the game. Kilcoo with the Johnsons and Darryl Brannigan carving holes in the Glenties defence,Mickey Moran Wiley old fox had his game plan perfect."
Have to agree, I felt the NC long ball tactic was poorly used. Kilcoo were getting numbers back to counteract it, i felt that NC should have gotten their running game going. However another aspect was that NC were getting turned over more than usual. Kilcoo brought a lot of intensity and ripped the ball out on quite a few occasions, yet when NC tackled Kilcoo players it appeared to me that they were getting their frees. Maybe just a biased perception of it, hope to watch it back 2night. But on balance, Kilcoo deserved to win, they shut down all NC big game players. Finally, I wz on the terrace side, mainly Kilcoo supporters, and I can see why they wouldn't be liked, more than there fair share of apes.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 133 - 02/12/2019 21:00:14    2252797

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "Have to agree, I felt the NC long ball tactic was poorly used. Kilcoo were getting numbers back to counteract it, i felt that NC should have gotten their running game going. However another aspect was that NC were getting turned over more than usual. Kilcoo brought a lot of intensity and ripped the ball out on quite a few occasions, yet when NC tackled Kilcoo players it appeared to me that they were getting their frees. Maybe just a biased perception of it, hope to watch it back 2night. But on balance, Kilcoo deserved to win, they shut down all NC big game players. Finally, I wz on the terrace side, mainly Kilcoo supporters, and I can see why they wouldn't be liked, more than there fair share of apes."
Kilcoo were the better team though I'd tend to agree with the long ball tactic as well. Admittedly I don't have the stats but a lot of the long ball in results in turnovers and ultimately leads to scores and the other end. They had got kind of lucky to get back into it by half time with the long ball and potentially should have moved away from it for the second half. Kilcoo were going to have adjusted to it as well. They played a generally more offensive game from what they played against gweedore and left themselves much more exposed at the back. Though the slavish devotion to the defensive game against gweedore is probably not sustainable. They wanted to win the donegal championship by hook or by crook and Ulster was just not the same.
More generally they also probably planned for an advantage around the middle and from kick outs and that just didn't happen. It is a little ironic that the long ball tactics is something they should consider for next year. Mcguinness and Gallagher and maybe young Byrne could suit the new offensive mark. All big men who can field the ball.

Overall they have had a very decent year and winning a tough donegal championship is something few predicted. Since they made their breakthrough in 2005 they've always been there or thereabouts, being very competitive at under age and are through to the 21 final this weekend and looks like they will be competitive for a while yet at senior level. It's not easy to sustain that underage work and fair play to them.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 273 - 02/12/2019 22:37:25    2252826

Link

Just didnt go for Naomh Conaill at all on the day. They are at their best in a nip and tuck game or protecting a lead.

Having to come back from 5 and 6 pts down just isnt their preferred style and they probably ended up playing a game that didnt come natural to them and was abit cobbled together and reactive.

In the style of Kevin Cassidy, id like to congratulate them on a ok season and wish them well for a right good rap at the TidyTowns next year. Will be the only silver the town sees.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 256 - 03/12/2019 13:19:06    2252928

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Just didnt go for Naomh Conaill at all on the day. They are at their best in a nip and tuck game or protecting a lead.

Having to come back from 5 and 6 pts down just isnt their preferred style and they probably ended up playing a game that didnt come natural to them and was abit cobbled together and reactive.

In the style of Kevin Cassidy, id like to congratulate them on a ok season and wish them well for a right good rap at the TidyTowns next year. Will be the only silver the town sees."
We don't win silver for tidy towns only outright winners or gold ,what that has to do with football fail,s me more sour grapes ,I really do feel sorry for u .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 167 - 05/12/2019 16:15:32    2253413

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "We don't win silver for tidy towns only outright winners or gold ,what that has to do with football fail,s me more sour grapes ,I really do feel sorry for u ."
Metaphorical Silver oh Nervous one.

When you are writing your letter to Santa, ask him if he can bring you a book which teaches you how to take a joke.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 256 - 06/12/2019 15:58:06    2253578

Link