Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

That last 'score' that Glenties got was wide, I was directly behind it and seen it perfectly, saying that Gaoth Dodhair only have themselves to blame, thought the ref had a poor game too, Glenties deliberately fouled everytime Goath Dodhair turned over possession to slow the game and get the boring blanket back in place. ref done nothing about it,
thought Glenties fellas were diving a lot too and feigning injury and as for their blanket defence well it is puke football, I wouldn't pay in to watch them anyway. Mc Niallas was quite and they didn't kick it in to Cass enough and when it did come in it was in desperation, what he needed was fast diagonal ball. best team lost in my opinion.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 783 - 30/10/2019 23:06:45    2246691

Link

Big credit to that Naomh Conaill team, a huge underdog in all 3 games but came out on top. Credit to that Gweedore team as for for giving it a cracking 2nd half with a man down.

Exciting round of games. Hopefully they can push hard in Ulster, it will be tough but you just can't write this team off.

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 91 - 30/10/2019 23:23:06    2246692

Link

Replying To neutral:  "Will Glenties be back down to earth come Sunday.What was Eamon Mc Gee doing cost Gweedore big time.Was it a point if not cruel on Gweedore."
It was a point. Was a bit unsure and I'm a Glentiesman. But someone has since posted on Facebook showing a couple of images of the ball curling over in front of posts from right wing. Think the commentators were too quick/defintite to say wide.

Great call by linesman.

Naoimh Conaill were the better team on the night alright.

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 188 - 30/10/2019 23:26:56    2246694

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "That last 'score' that Glenties got was wide, I was directly behind it and seen it perfectly, saying that Gaoth Dodhair only have themselves to blame, thought the ref had a poor game too, Glenties deliberately fouled everytime Goath Dodhair turned over possession to slow the game and get the boring blanket back in place. ref done nothing about it,
thought Glenties fellas were diving a lot too and feigning injury and as for their blanket defence well it is puke football, I wouldn't pay in to watch them anyway. Mc Niallas was quite and they didn't kick it in to Cass enough and when it did come in it was in desperation, what he needed was fast diagonal ball. best team lost in my opinion."
The last score was a perfectly fine point. Check out Rory Kavanagh's post on twitter with the video replay as well as the pictures going around ( ball can be seen to be clearly in front of the post as it was going over).

I'm happy that it was confirmed to be a point as its not good to have something contentious like that hanging over a deserved victory.

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 91 - 31/10/2019 09:51:21    2246720

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "That last 'score' that Glenties got was wide, I was directly behind it and seen it perfectly, saying that Gaoth Dodhair only have themselves to blame, thought the ref had a poor game too, Glenties deliberately fouled everytime Goath Dodhair turned over possession to slow the game and get the boring blanket back in place. ref done nothing about it,
thought Glenties fellas were diving a lot too and feigning injury and as for their blanket defence well it is puke football, I wouldn't pay in to watch them anyway. Mc Niallas was quite and they didn't kick it in to Cass enough and when it did come in it was in desperation, what he needed was fast diagonal ball. best team lost in my opinion."
Gaothdobhair are the most defensive team in the county. When they lose the ball, they all immediately turn and sprint back to the 45 apart from 2 players who stand in on top of the goalkeeper. If you watch Glenties defend, they go man to man with a sweeper.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 31/10/2019 11:12:22    2246748

Link

I'm still a bit skeptical about the last point as when you watch the video it looks like it goes over but then when you slow it down and pause it near the end it's so hard to tell if the ball is in front of the post or behind it because the ball and post create like a camouflage effect.

Lk22 (Donegal) - Posts: 4 - 31/10/2019 12:10:38    2246768

Link

Posted last night regarding the game but must have got lost.

Congrats to Glenties on getting a deserving win. They probably should have been more than a point up at half time. Their determination, focus and defensive discipline and structure was phenomenal. Credit too to Gweedore for fighting back a man down. I think they will come back a refocused and determined unit next year making them favourites to get their crown back. Good to see that the winning score was indeed a valid score. Credit to the ref and umpires for getting it right. Seems to be alot of respect and admiration between the sides for each other especially when listening to any post match interviews involving those involved. However there was a definite niggle last night not seen before. Did not see what happened with Eamon McGee but must have reacted to something said, surprising all the same given efforts he made to get back for games and his experience. Both Carroll and O McFF rightly seen the line and in both cases could easily have been earlier. Saying that there should have been a couple of Glenties players who got a similar fate for persistent cynical fouls. Ciaran Gallagher had two one after another that were both carding offenses and not his first either.

Best of luck to Glenties in Ulster. Going to be a very difficult turn around for them leaving the advantage with the Cavan side. However if they can recover in time there is no doubt they will be a hard team to beat for any side. I do fear they might lack some x factor in an attacking sense but they do have players capable of doing damage with more space. Special mention to Ethan O'Donnell who was again superb and rightly got man of the match. He was centre to everything positive Glenties done. Be it his intelligent lines of running or perfectly timed passes but also his sense of taking up excellent defensive positions. Always a player of huge potential who had his development curtailed by injury. He will be coming into the county set up for next season and laying a claim to start.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2185 - 31/10/2019 12:33:19    2246774

Link

I think it's a very contentious score and I've seen plenty different angles at this stage, however I think NC were deserving winners in the end as I thought they were the better side. Gaoth Dobhair battled back very well, I have to say I've huge admiration for both teams in terms of the resolve and bottle they both showed over the 3 matches. But last night in my opinion NC shaded it and are deserving champions.

The fixture situation is a farce but if they show even half the determination they showed over the last 3 matches in Ulster they will win this weekend in my opinion.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 959 - 31/10/2019 12:34:49    2246775

Link

Congrats to Glenties after an epic 3 game affair.Glenties so we'll organized at the back could have stayed all night and Gweedore were not getting thru.Discipline cost the Gweedore boys big time, Eamon McGee should know better at this stage of his career,definite turning point.They have been prone to these shenannigans having gotten away with this kind of stuff in the past.Michael Carroll's black card was also huge blow to Gweedore as he was keeping Gweedore in the game with great scores from distance.Ridicolous that the powers that be could no afford Glenties a week to recover as they head into their first round Ulster game.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 215 - 31/10/2019 13:46:16    2246794

Link

It was more of a tense game than a classic, and the teams might have looked tired at times, but I enjoyed it regardless. Congratulations to Glenties, they were organised and determined and have plenty of quality to boot. Highlights were the generally high standard of defending and the performances of O'Donnell and Carroll & while the lowlights were the overselling and playacting, as well as the inability by both teams to find or create space, or to throw different challenges at the strong defensive structures.

It's a very hard turnaround now for the first round, but Glenties are a fine team and Ulster is very open this year. Aside from the excellent Ethan O'Donnell, different players have played well for them in different games, which is always reassuring and they are clearly a well-organised and well conditioned team. Best of luck to them.

Goitse (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 31/10/2019 14:05:14    2246802

Link

Well done n conal fantastic achievement I didn't think before championship that you'd would do it. But that's the great thing about sport anything is possible. Must say there defensive play was outstanding, such a well disciplined team. See now the Glenties doctor Charlie Mc manus has got in contact with the ulster council today to say that on medical grounds that it would not be safe on the players to play the game on Sunday. Totally right in my opinion it's about time the gaa looked after players welfare.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 694 - 31/10/2019 17:29:40    2246858

Link

Glenties deserved to win but it was a very disappointing game. A lot of cynical play, very little imagination from either team going forward. When a player did look like he was going to do something different or break a line he was hauled down. I have to call a spade a spade and say in my opinion it was woeful stuff. Gweedore in particular looked tired.

supporter (Donegal) - Posts: 200 - 31/10/2019 17:51:26    2246861

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Well done n conal fantastic achievement I didn't think before championship that you'd would do it. But that's the great thing about sport anything is possible. Must say there defensive play was outstanding, such a well disciplined team. See now the Glenties doctor Charlie Mc manus has got in contact with the ulster council today to say that on medical grounds that it would not be safe on the players to play the game on Sunday. Totally right in my opinion it's about time the gaa looked after players welfare."
Agree completely with the Dr ,it's a pity that the Donegal County board hadnt the same concern about player welfare ,as they wanted the teams in the case of another draw to play again Saturday and the winners out again the next day ,so it's a good job that someone is looking after players ,now we will c what the Ulster Council think ,as I'm sure that the sporting people of Cavan wouldn't have any objections .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 31/10/2019 18:55:48    2246871

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Agree completely with the Dr ,it's a pity that the Donegal County board hadnt the same concern about player welfare ,as they wanted the teams in the case of another draw to play again Saturday and the winners out again the next day ,so it's a good job that someone is looking after players ,now we will c what the Ulster Council think ,as I'm sure that the sporting people of Cavan wouldn't have any objections ."
It was actually NC not the county board who chose to play Saturday rather than penalty shoot out were it a draw. I don't see the Ulster Council changing anything if recent history is anything to go by. The GAA throw out the player welfare line whenever it suits but has little substance when they do. Our own county board no better when you look at the treatment of Cloughaneely in the intermediate.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2185 - 31/10/2019 21:02:28    2246892

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "It was actually NC not the county board who chose to play Saturday rather than penalty shoot out were it a draw. I don't see the Ulster Council changing anything if recent history is anything to go by. The GAA throw out the player welfare line whenever it suits but has little substance when they do. Our own county board no better when you look at the treatment of Cloughaneely in the intermediate."
DidCloughaneely play nine games in ten weeks as well as extra time ,and anyway penalty,s is not the way ,that,s soccer u r comparing us with ,it's not gaelic,s way of deciding games ,

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 31/10/2019 22:34:21    2246907

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "DidCloughaneely play nine games in ten weeks as well as extra time ,and anyway penalty,s is not the way ,that,s soccer u r comparing us with ,it's not gaelic,s way of deciding games ,"
They had the choice and they preferred to play again Saturday rather than penalty shoot out. I am not saying its correct that they have to play Sunday but when given option of finishing it Wednesday with a view on Ulster they turned it down. Cloughaneely played a Monday night, the following Saturday with extra time, the following Wednesday night and then the following Sunday with 2 of those games in horrific conditions......don't really see your point there.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2185 - 01/11/2019 16:05:37    2247015

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "They had the choice and they preferred to play again Saturday rather than penalty shoot out. I am not saying its correct that they have to play Sunday but when given option of finishing it Wednesday with a view on Ulster they turned it down. Cloughaneely played a Monday night, the following Saturday with extra time, the following Wednesday night and then the following Sunday with 2 of those games in horrific conditions......don't really see your point there."
R you a Doctor ,well u should read our Doctor s opinion to the Ulster Council ,I just hope and Pray none of them ends with a serious injury

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 01/11/2019 17:55:11    2247033

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "R you a Doctor ,well u should read our Doctor s opinion to the Ulster Council ,I just hope and Pray none of them ends with a serious injury"
iT shouldn't be down to the teams .There should have been extra time the first day and it should have been finished the second day by whichever means.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 601 - 01/11/2019 18:54:45    2247045

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "R you a Doctor ,well u should read our Doctor s opinion to the Ulster Council ,I just hope and Pray none of them ends with a serious injury"
Bit dramatic there with the hoping and praying. Especially when you dismissed Cloughsnaneely's plight which was plain to see. A serious injury can happen anytime it is more fatigue the issue. Yes I read what the doctor said and completely agree the fixture should be moved. But there is little chance of this happening given the recent history of both the Donegal CC and the Ulster Council. Gunman was absolutely correct in that there should have been extra time the first day and winner whatever way it concludes the second day. However while I have empathy for the players the club refused the option of a winner by any means if it came to it last Wednesday.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2185 - 01/11/2019 22:06:43    2247131

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Bit dramatic there with the hoping and praying. Especially when you dismissed Cloughsnaneely's plight which was plain to see. A serious injury can happen anytime it is more fatigue the issue. Yes I read what the doctor said and completely agree the fixture should be moved. But there is little chance of this happening given the recent history of both the Donegal CC and the Ulster Council. Gunman was absolutely correct in that there should have been extra time the first day and winner whatever way it concludes the second day. However while I have empathy for the players the club refused the option of a winner by any means if it came to it last Wednesday."
U and gunman r talking a load of rubbish ,I would say like the rest u were both wrong about the quality of Naomh Conaill and r trying to hide from that fact and as far as Cloughaneely r concerned weren't they in Division I or am I wrong on that .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 151 - 01/11/2019 23:23:26    2247153

Link