Westmeath Forum

Intermediate Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

Just started a thread to discuss the intermediate championship. With three games left for each team with every team bar southern Gaels and Turin with a strong chance chance to make a semi final. Even those two teams have been competitive in most fixtures. What's everyone's thoughts on who reach the semis or who will win it all? I'll post the upcoming fixtures below with my predictions.

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 31/07/2019 16:42:06    2219162

Link

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "Just started a thread to discuss the intermediate championship. With three games left for each team with every team bar southern Gaels and Turin with a strong chance chance to make a semi final. Even those two teams have been competitive in most fixtures. What's everyone's thoughts on who reach the semis or who will win it all? I'll post the upcoming fixtures below with my predictions."
Great to see all intermediate teams being competitive. Would prefer to see no senior second teams competing in intermediate championship in order to give each intermediate team a genuine chance at making semi/finals. Why not confine second senior teams to junior A chsp or different competition? Very unfair some intermediate hurlers will not get chance to reach final.

loosewomen (Westmeath) - Posts: 1 - 31/07/2019 21:44:47    2219247

Link

Replying To loosewomen:  "Great to see all intermediate teams being competitive. Would prefer to see no senior second teams competing in intermediate championship in order to give each intermediate team a genuine chance at making semi/finals. Why not confine second senior teams to junior A chsp or different competition? Very unfair some intermediate hurlers will not get chance to reach final."
Championship is being reformed. In 2020 I think we will have a senior championship of only six teams an intermediate of six a junior also of six. All based on this years positions in table. There will also be junior b and c competitions.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 662 - 01/08/2019 07:16:08    2219309

Link

Replying To loosewomen:  "Great to see all intermediate teams being competitive. Would prefer to see no senior second teams competing in intermediate championship in order to give each intermediate team a genuine chance at making semi/finals. Why not confine second senior teams to junior A chsp or different competition? Very unfair some intermediate hurlers will not get chance to reach final."
If they're good enough they'll win it. These second teams actually add to the championship make it competitive and worth winning and push teams to reach a higher standard to win it.
Let them join a Cavan team if they want to win a handy championship or automatically make a semi final

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 205 - 01/08/2019 07:17:59    2219310

Link

If they're good enough they'd get there. no point in getting to intermediate final or winning it if you cant beat a senior teams 2nd team

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 239 - 01/08/2019 09:02:52    2219317

Link

there should be a round or two of senior played before any of the intermediate teams play a senior club's second team
it can skew results for the first few rounds

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 01/08/2019 13:28:55    2219424

Link

Clonkill v Southern Gaels- clonkill by 6-9
Plunketts V Turin- Plunketts by 7-10
Cullion V castletown- Culion by 5-8
Ringtown v Raharney : Ringtown by 1-3

Castletown have lost a few players since the last game so they will be weaker .

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 01/08/2019 14:59:29    2219470

Link

I think the second teams make it better but at the same time mess it up because one team plays them when there very strong and by the end there very weak. It changes game to game .

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 01/08/2019 15:00:19    2219472

Link

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "Clonkill v Southern Gaels- clonkill by 6-9

Castletown have lost a few players since the last game so they will be weaker ."
Them fixtures are not the next round

refaball (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 01/08/2019 17:33:08    2219529

Link

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "Clonkill v Southern Gaels- clonkill by 6-9

Castletown have lost a few players since the last game so they will be weaker ."
Sorry mixed the fixtures up.
Raharney fixture is correct
Turin v Gaels I think Gaels might win this . Turin started well but had a few lads missing recently.
Clonkill to best castletown by 5-7 points
Cullion to beat Plunketts by 2-4 points

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 02/08/2019 14:36:56    2219784

Link

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "Sorry mixed the fixtures up.
Raharney fixture is correct
Turin v Gaels I think Gaels might win this . Turin started well but had a few lads missing recently.
Clonkill to best castletown by 5-7 points
Cullion to beat Plunketts by 2-4 points"
Raharney to beat Ringtown,
Plunketts to beat Cullion
Clonkill to beat Castletown
Turin to beat Southern Gaels

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 662 - 03/08/2019 07:08:43    2219959

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Raharney to beat Ringtown,
Plunketts to beat Cullion
Clonkill to beat Castletown
Turin to beat Southern Gaels"
Raharney v Ringtown, Ringtown by 2
Clonkill v CTG, Castletown by 3
Turin v Southern Gaels, Turin by 6
Cullion v Plunketts; This Mullingar derby will be tight, Cullion going well enough and Plunketts improving with every game, I'll go for a draw.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 372 - 05/08/2019 15:56:49    2221185

Link

Interesting results leave it all to play for in the last 2 fixtures. I was at the Raharney game and I felt the ref was favorable towards Raharney after doing the complete opposite and being against Raharneys senior team the day before. Wasn't a great game. Lots of frees. Castletown on top of the group and already into the semis now with a good win v clonkill. Haven't heard anything about the cullion game but wasn't the result I was expecting. Plunketts are going well it seems. If anyone was at any of the games could they post their views.

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 08/08/2019 17:13:03    2222747

Link

Good 4 point win for Plunkett's who were missing 3 or 4 regulars however game was much closer than scoreline suggests. In fact Cullion looked the better side at times, particularly in 1st half. But Plunkett's kept plugging away and only trailed by 1 at the break. Second half was nip and tuck until the winners pulled away in last few mins.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 614 - 08/08/2019 18:08:08    2222764

Link

so effectively all teams bar Turin and Southern Gaels can make a semi final?

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 08/08/2019 18:24:04    2222766

Link

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "Interesting results leave it all to play for in the last 2 fixtures. I was at the Raharney game and I felt the ref was favorable towards Raharney after doing the complete opposite and being against Raharneys senior team the day before. Wasn't a great game. Lots of frees. Castletown on top of the group and already into the semis now with a good win v clonkill. Haven't heard anything about the cullion game but wasn't the result I was expecting. Plunketts are going well it seems. If anyone was at any of the games could they post their views."
Its turning into a very competitive competition. According to the table only Southern Gaels who are improving can't make the semi finals.Latest round with two draws it helps Hurling. I think that maybe your bias more than the Leinster under 20 final ref might be nearer the mark. If forced to gamble Plunketts might just do it. It would be great to see them play Cullion in the final.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 662 - 09/08/2019 21:58:44    2223219

Link

You must be a raharney man so jobber seeing you seem to go to a lot of their matches?

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 71 - 09/08/2019 22:18:03    2223228

Link