Roscommon Forum

Club Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Emlyn had been playing club football in Dublin with St Brigids last few years. Probably getting a few "expenses" for it. Transferred back to his home club this year or last. As far as I know he's living in Sligo so I would expect he wpuld transfer their rather than a struggling Roscommon club"
Would be a struggling Roscommon club if they were still playing at senior level. At Intermediate level they have the opportunity to win a county title and maybe a provincial title. Anyway its a moot point now and i would prefer to see a club like Castlerea having one of their young Roscommon forwards (Andrew Lyons perhaps) stand out than Leitrim player in his 30s.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2485 - 16/08/2019 23:14:11    2226644

Link

Carolan is a guard in Castlerea I think. I've watched Carolan in our county for a few years now. He is a super talent must be a massive addition to Roscommon Gaels. He has All Ireland medals Minor 2013 and U21 2016.
It Will be interesting to see how he gets on in Roscommon as he must not be too far from James Horan's plans.

BornGAA (Mayo) - Posts: 48 - 16/08/2019 23:27:15    2226649

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Interesting news indeed about Neil Collins.Players back will be crucial in 2020 if Roscommon are to get to the next level Anthony Cunningham has talked about."
Unfortunately Collins won't be hanging around to long. Had to leave new York while his Visa is been sorted. He should be back in new York later this year or early next year so he won't be part of the Roscommon team next year. Can't see him transferring back to castlerea for the few months but you never know .

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 562 - 17/08/2019 09:04:55    2226675

Link

Replying To BornGAA:  "Carolan is a guard in Castlerea I think. I've watched Carolan in our county for a few years now. He is a super talent must be a massive addition to Roscommon Gaels. He has All Ireland medals Minor 2013 and U21 2016.
It Will be interesting to see how he gets on in Roscommon as he must not be too far from James Horan's plans."
Was on the extended panel of those underage All Ireland winning teams and didn't see a minute of action. Played for Mayo's juniors last year and has been injury prone since he was a minor.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 232 - 17/08/2019 14:21:33    2226760

Link

Some major surprises tonight with both Clann and Brigids losing. I went to the Clann game and I have to say Western Gaels thoroughly deserved their win, in fact if they had won by 10 points it would have been a better reflection of the game. Their defense was very solid, Seanie Mac still a super leader, Clann midfield did nto have the legs to stay with Higgins and Cregg. Clann were simply awful and to be honest they have gone backwards. Their defense was ok, Petitt in midfield had a good game but their forwards were brutal, their 11, 12 and 13 barely touched the ball in the entire game. Ciaran Lennon also had a poor showing but it would be hard to blame him as there was little or no support or creativity around him. Clann v Boyle next is a a huge game already and if Boyle were to beat them they will be in big trouble. Western Gaels played very well despite missing some key players and completely deserved this win and should have won the game by alot more. Clann have alot of work to do this week - I really worry for them.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 175 - 17/08/2019 22:08:17    2226863

Link

Elphin beating Brigids would be biggest surprise result of the weekend. I'd say Peter Carney now back as their manager and who lost two county final to Brigids would be well pleased with that win. Shane Killoran and Fintan Cregg to the fore in that victory.

Less of a surprise of was Western Gaels beating Clann as last year they should have beaten a stronger Clann team on paper. The Cregg brothers led them to victory this evening.

Faithleachs didn't carry their league form into the championship as Glaveys got the better of them, 1-2 without reply late on made that game closer than it looked.

Roscommon Gaels with a straight forward win against a weakened Strokestown, Peter Gillooly was in fine scoring form. A big loss he was for U20 county team this summer.

As is normal for Pearses games, a low scoring contest and they won thanks to goals scored, Hubert Darcy,Paul Carey scored them. Boyle will score a lot more than 0-11 next week v Clann as they don't set up defensively.

Fuerty beat relegation candidates Croans by 8 points. Niall Kilroy with the majortiy of the scores for the winners.

At Intermediate

Tulsk with the biggest score and margin of victory i think this weekend, highlighting why so many are tipping them to win this county title. Other contenders Castlerea,Oran eased to victory also and Creggs with forwards as good as Noel Gately,Ronan Dowd could be a darkhorse.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2485 - 17/08/2019 23:41:28    2226882

Link

Replying To rossno1:  "Some major surprises tonight with both Clann and Brigids losing. I went to the Clann game and I have to say Western Gaels thoroughly deserved their win, in fact if they had won by 10 points it would have been a better reflection of the game. Their defense was very solid, Seanie Mac still a super leader, Clann midfield did nto have the legs to stay with Higgins and Cregg. Clann were simply awful and to be honest they have gone backwards. Their defense was ok, Petitt in midfield had a good game but their forwards were brutal, their 11, 12 and 13 barely touched the ball in the entire game. Ciaran Lennon also had a poor showing but it would be hard to blame him as there was little or no support or creativity around him. Clann v Boyle next is a a huge game already and if Boyle were to beat them they will be in big trouble. Western Gaels played very well despite missing some key players and completely deserved this win and should have won the game by alot more. Clann have alot of work to do this week - I really worry for them."
Clann seem to have gone backwards alright but not to many teams in the county able to deal with the injury and absence list they have. Ronan O'Reilly,Ronan Gavin,David Flynn, Jack connaghton, Fergal Lennon,Matt Scally,Ultan Harney and Jamie Fahy were all starters last year and all were unavailable for one reason or another. Add in Donie shine,Dara Pettit were are only back training its easy see how they have gone back.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 17 - 18/08/2019 08:40:08    2226910

Link

As I said in this thread we were really going to struggle Elphin. The 15 that lined out last night, 9 of them should be playing Junior football. Realistically we are miles away from competing for the title this year and will struggle against Fuerty and Croans.

rossie1996 (Roscommon) - Posts: 135 - 18/08/2019 12:23:46    2226957

Link

Replying To rossie1996:  "As I said in this thread we were really going to struggle Elphin. The 15 that lined out last night, 9 of them should be playing Junior football. Realistically we are miles away from competing for the title this year and will struggle against Fuerty and Croans."
9 of the Brigids starting 15 yesterday started the senior county last last year and another two was brought on as subs. Some others that started, namely Ruairi Smith,Paul McGrath,Ciaran Sugrue and were all minor county and provincial winners last year and will become established club seniors. Elphin didn't get out of section B last year. Croans just about stayed up and Fuerty are just up from intermediate these are teams that your club should not be struggling with.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2485 - 18/08/2019 13:31:11    2226979

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "9 of the Brigids starting 15 yesterday started the senior county last last year and another two was brought on as subs. Some others that started, namely Ruairi Smith,Paul McGrath,Ciaran Sugrue and were all minor county and provincial winners last year and will become established club seniors. Elphin didn't get out of section B last year. Croans just about stayed up and Fuerty are just up from intermediate these are teams that your club should not be struggling with."
We have a junior goalkeeper and those young lads bar Paul McGrath have shown nothing to say they are anything other than juniors. We have five proper seniors, Brian Stack, McGrath, McInerney, Ian Kilbride and Ronan Stack. Everyone else is either horrendously out of form or nowhere near good enough to play senior.

rossie1996 (Roscommon) - Posts: 135 - 18/08/2019 16:06:56    2227029

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Clann seem to have gone backwards alright but not to many teams in the county able to deal with the injury and absence list they have. Ronan O'Reilly,Ronan Gavin,David Flynn, Jack connaghton, Fergal Lennon,Matt Scally,Ultan Harney and Jamie Fahy were all starters last year and all were unavailable for one reason or another. Add in Donie shine,Dara Pettit were are only back training its easy see how they have gone back."
Western Gaels had players missing too but the point I am making is that while they had missing players you could see a system and pattern of play that was enjoyable to watch. Clann had none and were awful to watch. When I say they have gone back I meant more on the tactical approach to the game. Some people in Clann would say it was the players who won them the championship last year and not the management. From what I saw yesterday I would agree as they were very poorly set up to deal with the threat of Western Gaels. We will see how good this management team is now. I have my doubts based on what I saw yesterday.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 175 - 18/08/2019 18:07:27    2227139

Link

Replying To rossno1:  "Western Gaels had players missing too but the point I am making is that while they had missing players you could see a system and pattern of play that was enjoyable to watch. Clann had none and were awful to watch. When I say they have gone back I meant more on the tactical approach to the game. Some people in Clann would say it was the players who won them the championship last year and not the management. From what I saw yesterday I would agree as they were very poorly set up to deal with the threat of Western Gaels. We will see how good this management team is now. I have my doubts based on what I saw yesterday."
In the Connacht semi final Clanns game management, team structure etc looked very poor. Yes Corofin are outstanding team and can win AI finals by a bit to spare but way the Clann set themselves up was like lambs to the slaughter.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 232 - 18/08/2019 18:24:52    2227150

Link

Replying To rossie1996:  "We have a junior goalkeeper and those young lads bar Paul McGrath have shown nothing to say they are anything other than juniors. We have five proper seniors, Brian Stack, McGrath, McInerney, Ian Kilbride and Ronan Stack. Everyone else is either horrendously out of form or nowhere near good enough to play senior."
Martin was the 2nd choice keeper for Brigids seniors last year. Shane Mannion has loads of potential but so far have been far from secure in goal at senior level. Even the best Brigids team had goalkeeper issues with bringing a 40+ year old Shane Curran back.

Brigids losing an opening round championship game is nothing new and they have recovered from it so we shall wait and see. Form is as much to do with management as they should be getting the best out of players. Brigids let Frankie go and he joined up with the Western Gaels management if they end up having a better championship than Brigids i can imagine their will be plenty of questions around Kiltoom asking was last years management replaced by a weaker one?

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2485 - 18/08/2019 18:51:28    2227163

Link

Was at the Clann Na nGael and Western Gaels game yesterday. Cathal Cregg was outstanding at midfield for Western Gaels. The black card the Clann Na nGael player got was very harsh in my opinion. Both Ultan Harney and Jack Connaughton were huge losses for Clann Na nGael. Western Gaels done well without Ciaran Cafferky and Barry Creighton. The Western Gaels and Padraig Pearses game next weekend is surely the game of the weekend.

Gaffman (Roscommon) - Posts: 4 - 18/08/2019 19:27:13    2227178

Link

Replying To rossie1996:  "We have a junior goalkeeper and those young lads bar Paul McGrath have shown nothing to say they are anything other than juniors. We have five proper seniors, Brian Stack, McGrath, McInerney, Ian Kilbride and Ronan Stack. Everyone else is either horrendously out of form or nowhere near good enough to play senior."
Strange you're so familiar with the level that's required seeing as you're 23 with no experience of adult football at any level. If you've nothing good to say and all of that jazz. Nobody likes a keyboard warrior SL!

Rossiearmy (Roscommon) - Posts: 2 - 18/08/2019 20:53:05    2227235

Link

Replying To Gaffman:  "Was at the Clann Na nGael and Western Gaels game yesterday. Cathal Cregg was outstanding at midfield for Western Gaels. The black card the Clann Na nGael player got was very harsh in my opinion. Both Ultan Harney and Jack Connaughton were huge losses for Clann Na nGael. Western Gaels done well without Ciaran Cafferky and Barry Creighton. The Western Gaels and Padraig Pearses game next weekend is surely the game of the weekend."
Cathal Cregg was immense for Gaels, absolute joy to watch - a proper player. Clann had a young player in midfield who was making his championship debut. It looked to me that he was marking Cathal Cregg. I would find it hard to believe that Clann management would have planned to put a young player making his championship debut the detail to mark the roscommon captain - if they did it would be just incredible to believe !! Secondly from what I could see, they never changed it at any stage and then took the young lad of. I felt sorry for the young lad who looks a good prospect but he was set up to fail by management from the start. Without Ultan Harney and Jack Connaughton who are leaders for Clann when things are not going well, Clann seem to have no one to take up that mantle. I still would expect Clann to beat Boyle assuming that Clann management get the team selection and match ups correct. Some cracking games in round 2 next weekend..

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 175 - 18/08/2019 21:32:25    2227260

Link

Replying To rossno1:  "Western Gaels had players missing too but the point I am making is that while they had missing players you could see a system and pattern of play that was enjoyable to watch. Clann had none and were awful to watch. When I say they have gone back I meant more on the tactical approach to the game. Some people in Clann would say it was the players who won them the championship last year and not the management. From what I saw yesterday I would agree as they were very poorly set up to deal with the threat of Western Gaels. We will see how good this management team is now. I have my doubts based on what I saw yesterday."
Who were western gaels missing?

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 17 - 19/08/2019 08:22:13    2227335

Link

they were missing ciaran cafferkey and barry creighton, two big players for them but cafferkey espesically has been playing very well

RealRossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 322 - 19/08/2019 08:47:06    2227342

Link

Strange you would have doubts about the only management team in the county that have actual won anything.

Western Gaels were the better team on the day but if Clann recover next two games it will be a pretty meaninless result last Saturday. Western Gaels have look good early in the Championship only to bottle it year on year when it gets to knock out. We will see will the follow the usual line again this year as time goes on.

Clann are in trouble with so many players missing and no management team could deal with missing 8 or 9 starters

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 17 - 19/08/2019 11:41:54    2227417

Link