Roscommon Forum

Club Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

The draw was made last night for the 2019 Championship.

Senior
Group A:
St Brigids
Elphin
Croans
Fuerty

Group B:
Strokestown
St Faithleachs
Roscommon Gaels
Michael Glaveys

Group C:
Clann na nGael
Padraig Pearses
Western Gaels
Boyle

Intermediate
Group A:
Tulsa
Kilbride
Creggs
Kilglass Gaels

Group B:
Castlerea
Shannon Gaels
St Barry's
Eire Og

Group C:
Oran
St. Dominics
Kilmore
St. Aidans

Junior
Group A:
St Brigids B
Elphin B
Padraig Pearses B
Castlerea B
Roscommon Gaels B

Group B:
Ballinameen
St Josephs
St Faithleachs B
St Dominics B

Group C:
Clann na nGael B
St Michaels
St Ronans
Western Gaels B

Obviously a long way to go but does anybody have any early predictions?

Ros13 (Roscommon) - Posts: 40 - 26/03/2019 21:20:31    2175679

Link

Replying To Ros13:  "The draw was made last night for the 2019 Championship.

Senior
Group A:
St Brigids
Elphin
Croans
Fuerty

Group B:
Strokestown
St Faithleachs
Roscommon Gaels
Michael Glaveys

Group C:
Clann na nGael
Padraig Pearses
Western Gaels
Boyle

Intermediate
Group A:
Tulsa
Kilbride
Creggs
Kilglass Gaels

Group B:
Castlerea
Shannon Gaels
St Barry's
Eire Og

Group C:
Oran
St. Dominics
Kilmore
St. Aidans

Junior
Group A:
St Brigids B
Elphin B
Padraig Pearses B
Castlerea B
Roscommon Gaels B

Group B:
Ballinameen
St Josephs
St Faithleachs B
St Dominics B

Group C:
Clann na nGael B
St Michaels
St Ronans
Western Gaels B

Obviously a long way to go but does anybody have any early predictions?"
No team in n the intermediate championship will fancy the long trip to Tulsa

Douglas_44 (Roscommon) - Posts: 30 - 27/03/2019 13:39:21    2175805

Link

That weaker group gives Brigids a good chance of regaining the senior title. Relegation looks to be a 3 way fight between Croans,Fuerty,Glaveys.

Inter maybe Oran will go one better than last year or Tulsk will finally rise to senior championship level? Castlerea need to bounce straight back or else they will stay years down there like Kilbride have.

Junior St Michaels really need to get out of that section but Brigids and Clann B sides will be strong

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2398 - 27/03/2019 15:57:39    2175839

Link

The top 3 senior teams in the county are Clann, Roscommon Gaels and St Brigids. Of the 3 Clann have by far the toughest group. If they can come out of that group then they will be serious contenders again this year and they have a lot of good young players ready to step up and put pressure on the senior players. My personal favourites are Roscommon Gaels, if they can get the likes of Kilcline, Oates, Connolly back firing they will be very hard beaten. It will be very interesting to see how Brigid's go under new management. They have a huge advantage this year in that they do not have many players involved with the county so the hunger and freshness will be there. If I was to pick a darkhorse it would be Strokestown. on their day they can beat anyone for example the only team to beat Clann last year in the Championship. With Mullolly back in the fold can only be a good thing. A very interesting championship ahead.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 143 - 29/03/2019 18:57:25    2176278

Link

Strokestown? There playing intermediate league this year and compton Corcoran and Finn are away. With I don't see them doing much this year. I think there is five teams that can win it and beat each other on there day.. clann ros gaels brigids western gaels and Pearce's. Any changes of management to note this year? Leagues start this weekend

RealRossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 320 - 29/03/2019 22:48:25    2176315

Link

I heard frankie is training western gaels. They could just get over the line this year.

rossam (Roscommon) - Posts: 64 - 31/03/2019 07:46:02    2176559

Link

I heard frankie is training western gaels. They could just get over the line this year.

rossam (Roscommon) - Posts: 64 - 31/03/2019 07:46:12    2176560

Link

took in the fuerty vs pearses game at the weekend it was a case of welcome to senior from pearses.

Pearses looked strong fast and paul carey if consistent could light up this years championship

One sour note from the game was the behaviour of conor and niall daly conor should have got the line for an off the ball incident. but besides that the level of intimidation from the two towards the ref was nothing short of disgraceful. as a man from the area i was a little ashamed tbh. If i was a ref both would have been off the field.

Other then that pearses are moving well.

Also good to hear diarmuid murtagh was flying against the gaels.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 348 - 01/04/2019 08:53:51    2176869

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "took in the fuerty vs pearses game at the weekend it was a case of welcome to senior from pearses.

Pearses looked strong fast and paul carey if consistent could light up this years championship

One sour note from the game was the behaviour of conor and niall daly conor should have got the line for an off the ball incident. but besides that the level of intimidation from the two towards the ref was nothing short of disgraceful. as a man from the area i was a little ashamed tbh. If i was a ref both would have been off the field.

Other then that pearses are moving well.

Also good to hear diarmuid murtagh was flying against the gaels."
Diarmaid scored 14points i believe yesterday, the majority from play1

maximus02 (Longford) - Posts: 100 - 01/04/2019 11:36:46    2176924

Link

Good wins for pearses, fuerty and boyle at the weekend.

Gaels were very poor against fuerty

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 348 - 08/04/2019 08:40:45    2178006

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Good wins for pearses, fuerty and boyle at the weekend.

Gaels were very poor against fuerty"
Pearses the form team so far with two wins scoring 6-22 and with Croans to play next they should make it 3 wins from 3 games.

Great win for Fuerty but Roscommon Gaels start to the league must be very concerning to their supporters. That was a must win for Boyle and a tale of two penalties in that game one scored by Boyle and one missed by Croans. Main story to come out of Boyle this weekend was the death of Sean Young. A Derry man that moved to Boyle many decades ago, He did so much for the club and indeed Roscommon county football may he RIP.

Good wins for Glaveys,Strokestown also as one looks for a quick return to Div 1 and the other looks to stay up in Div 1.

Lastly can the mods change the title of this thread to club league and championship 2019

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2060 - 08/04/2019 15:20:08    2178067

Link

4 great rounds of league action in April there

Div 1 - Both Padraig Pearses and St.faithleaths are flying it early on. With county men Hubert Darcy and Diarmuid Murtagh in red hot form.

Has the shines stopped playing for clan ? There younger lads are flying it anyways. But if they want to retain the fahy cup they need to donie back soon.

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 32 - 01/05/2019 12:45:14    2181250

Link

Replying To Theeagleeye:  "4 great rounds of league action in April there

Div 1 - Both Padraig Pearses and St.faithleaths are flying it early on. With county men Hubert Darcy and Diarmuid Murtagh in red hot form.

Has the shines stopped playing for clan ? There younger lads are flying it anyways. But if they want to retain the fahy cup they need to donie back soon."
Another team that is going well is Glavey's, they are a proper Division 1 team, great to see a promoted team making a statement at Div 1 level. As far as I know Donie is due back soon to the fold, and Cathal is injured as far as I know. Both should be fine for the championship. They have a number of players who have not been involved so far in the league like Fergal Lennon, Shane Pettit, Graham Pettit. David Flynn and Conor Farrell but I believe all are expected back in time for championship. The younger players like Damien Duff, Dylan Summners and Callum O'Brien are going very well.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 143 - 01/05/2019 20:50:29    2181337

Link

Another round of league games on this weekend without the county players.

Juicy clash where Frankie Dolan brings Western Gaels to his home patch to play Bridgids.

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 32 - 03/05/2019 09:54:34    2181586

Link

Clan na Gael and Faithleaths top of the league and both play each other in next round on May 18th.

Frankie gets one over on bridgids as western gaels secured a 2 point win.

Any impressive displays this weekend?
Callum o brien got another goal for clan.

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 32 - 05/05/2019 21:37:56    2182028

Link

Another round of league games this weekend.

Interesting clash on most games, all seem 50/50.

I doubt any county players will be allowed to play.

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 32 - 15/05/2019 20:56:35    2184399

Link

Replying To Theeagleeye:  "Another round of league games this weekend.

Interesting clash on most games, all seem 50/50.

I doubt any county players will be allowed to play."
Faithleaths win the top of the table clash vs clan na gael.

Glaveys struggling without there 6 county players as expected, do would be hoping that there is no more starred games or they could be heading down to division 2.

Roscommon gaels seem to be coming good after a very slow start to the year.

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 32 - 19/05/2019 22:48:15    2185686

Link

Roscommon Gaels will be a big force in this year's championship - improving each week. Pearses also going really well and could be serious contenders come championship time. I heard Faithleath's deservedly defeated by all accounts a poor Clann team who apparently were missing quite a number of key players. Another win for Brigids who were also not at full strength. My personal recommendation are the Gaels this year, they were so unlucky in last year's semi against Clann, they really kicked that game away. Pearses have all their players available and fit so as long as they get rid of last year's negative tactics they could make a county final. Brigids are in transition, new management and players retiring, will make semis and possibly final. Clann have lost Jack Connaughton who is one of the players they turn to when they are in trouble, Fergal Lennon is still out and I am also hearing couple of key forwards including Donie Shine are not involved. I just don't see them making the final this year.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 143 - 20/05/2019 21:09:41    2186090

Link

Ros gaels will be missing james mc dermott who joined nemo rangers
Add in cian Connolly, scott oates and hughes ild be amazed if they made later stages of championship.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1235 - 20/05/2019 22:25:07    2186114

Link