Roscommon Forum

Club Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To rossie1996:  "Might not be that easy for Pearses to get to the Connacht final, obviously they would face an impossible task if they got there anyway."
Depends on the manner they reach the final and how organised they are defensively. Only 2 years ago St Brigids in decline brought Corofin extra time let's not forget.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2421 - 14/10/2019 18:34:05    2243509

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "At least you got the Minor game right."
Yes the minor game was not a good game, Brigids always in control despite a brave performance from a Clann team who struggled at both ends of the pitch. It was a poor minor championship this year but congrats to Brigids on winning a 4th minor title in a row. I have to say I am still struggling to understand how poor Roscommon Gaels were, incredible to think that a forward line of Hughes, Oates, Connolly, Gilhooly, Kilcline failed to really open up Pearses in the hours football. Gaels defense also played poorly, in particular their 2 and 5 who were so poor. I could not understand how they did not replace both earlier. How Gaels did not play with a sweeper from the start was also very strange. I have to say the young players from Pearses showed up really well first half and fair play to them. Congrats to Pearses on a terrific win and to Gaels you have so much more to offer if you could get it together.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 197 - 14/10/2019 19:37:29    2243523

Link

Aaron Brady (Elphin)

Killan Cox (Boyle)
Mark Richardson (Pearses)
David Murray (Pearses)

Tim Lambe (Roscommon Gaels)
David O'Gara (Roscommon Gaels)
Ronan Daly (Pearses)

Niall Daly (Pearses)
Niall Carty, (Pearses).

Niall Kilroy (Fuerty)
Cian McKeon (Boyle)
Paul Carey (Pearses)

Donie Smith (Boyle)
Hubert Darcy (Pearses)
Conor Payne (Pearses)

What surprised me most from sunday was the lack of movement from the gaels forward i dont know were they been marked out of it or did the occasion get to them.

No 5 for the gaels was kevin Ogara the game sort of past him i have seen him play some good games this year maybe he just had a bad day. Roscommon gaels big players didnt stand up likes of kieran kilcline, scott oates and they really struggled with kick outs

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 470 - 15/10/2019 08:50:48    2243602

Link

I think Gaels have missed their chance to win a County title with this team now. I know its a young enough side but i wouldnt be surprised if the likes of Oates and Connolly stop coming home next year should they still be based in the middle east. Is Mark Healy still based in the UK Too? There was talk of John Mc transferring to a Dublin club last christmas that may be an option for him too.
Regardless Pearses will be stronger going forward now the monkey is finally off their back. Clann will be much better next year with Ultan, Fergal, Jack and Jamie Fahy all should be back none of who played this year for them. Brigids will be stronger they have some smashing players coiming through who will be that little bit older.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 138 - 15/10/2019 10:05:52    2243616

Link

Mark Healy concussed from the throw in at the beginning of the 2nd half. Spent yesterday in Ballinasole Hospital.
Big Player for Roscommon gaels and a big loss. Himself and Mark Nally not fully fit this year & it showed

flukey (Cavan) - Posts: 15 - 15/10/2019 10:07:04    2243617

Link

From what i heard mark Healy is transferring to a london club as he is based out there.

Id say that will be the end of the line for liam mcneil he must be there 5 years brought them to two finals - David Kelly was over the juniors this year so he is next in line.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 470 - 15/10/2019 10:33:21    2243632

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "From what i heard mark Healy is transferring to a london club as he is based out there.

Id say that will be the end of the line for liam mcneil he must be there 5 years brought them to two finals - David Kelly was over the juniors this year so he is next in line."
Wasn't David Kelly over them before Liam?

Douglas_44 (Roscommon) - Posts: 105 - 15/10/2019 11:31:25    2243654

Link

Ya he was but the rumour is if Liam goes David Kelly is in.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 470 - 15/10/2019 13:35:10    2243690

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Ya he was but the rumour is if Liam goes David Kelly is in."
Not improvement on their outright manager if that happens to be the case. Maybe they should take a leaf out of Pearses book and go for a manager that has already won county titles and has some inter county level experience? I know he said he's retired but if asked maybe Kevin McStay will go back after all he was their last manager to win them the fahey cup and he was also their captain when they won it in the 90s.

Regardless of manager how they do next year will depend on holding onto their top players as outside of their starting 15 they are a little light on bench options probably highlighted with needing to bring on a former Tulsk/Castlerea player Cathal Dineen in his late 30s now.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2543 - 15/10/2019 15:20:31    2243727

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Yes enjoyable final as i have watched many poor or average county finals over the years. As i said already three well worked and taken goals and number of top points scored from play. Not sure what you found disgraceful, are you one of these followers of the game that is easily offended?

neverright, the feeling in the crowd was unnecessary handbag stuff towards the end of the game, i'll have to watch back on the sending offs before giving my view if they were correct or not."
The Gaels gave a masterclass in relentless passing ,in and out,back and forward,going nowhere.How the penny hasn't dropped that this cannot work is baffling.And if you find that stuff entertaining ....then...you're easily pleased

worple (Roscommon) - Posts: 265 - 16/10/2019 11:06:43    2243894

Link